Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Club captain

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have missed something but who is now our club captain, not just the bloke on the pitch but who represents the club to the public.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should be some sort of official announcement on this hopefully. Obviously Neves but would prefer it with a new deal for him. Your club captain needs to be on long deal!

Woody2381

Reaction score
It'll be Neves. I'd say Moutinho is vice but while he's out maybe Donk

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It'll be Neves. I'd say Moutinho is vice but while he's out maybe Donk
Both Kilman and MGW took the armband in preseason didn't they. More likely to be them than Donk imo

Last edited:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Neves, absolutely class player. But I do wonder if we’ll still need a vocal voice in the dressing room as one of the captains etc.

Neves will inspire on the field, but I can’t see him doing the Coady stuff in the dressing room.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff has given up his role on printing the shirts in the club shop and has promised to take a step back on developing the cure for monkey pox and will assume the role as Club Captain.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Neves, absolutely class player. But I do wonder if we’ll still need a vocal voice in the dressing room as one of the captains etc.

Neves will inspire on the field, but I can’t see him doing the Coady stuff in the dressing room.
Thing is we don’t know what the dynamic in the dressing room is like.

Coady was always put up for interviews etc, but behind the scenes who knows if other players are vocal. Some may even come into their own and not done it before as Coady was a strong presence.

Looking at the players social media, it seems like a number of them mix and are quite close off the pitch, nothing to suggest Neves won’t be now.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Thing is we don’t know what the dynamic in the dressing room is like.

Coady was always put up for interviews etc, but behind the scenes who knows if other players are vocal. Some may even come into their own and not done it before as Coady was a strong presence.

Looking at the players social media, it seems like a number of them mix and are quite close off the pitch, nothing to suggest Neves won’t be now.
Absolutely agree. Some will blossom with Coady gone (not cheering, just many years of observing behaviour of people in organisations!). The Club captain does NOT have to be the 'rabble-rouser'. There will be different leaders for different purposes:
- to be the eyes and ears of the boss in the dressing room
- to discuss tactical issues before games
- to 'gee' everyone up before a game
- to ******* people during a game
- to encourage during a game
- to be on-field general re tactics
- to be the person doing media interviews post-match
- to be the genial 'nice-guy' face of the club
Can be the same person for all (and Coady ticked many boxes) or could be shared around a mixture. And Collins may be a signifiant chap.

We have lost some 'characters' from the dressing room (Coady and to all account Saiss was a massive character). We need some people to keep the atmosphere cheerful when times are tough. Dressing rooms can be very fractious places with many fragile (and over-developed?) egos.

Let the guys step forwards and fill the roles.
Neves - inspiration by example.
Moutinho - tactician & consummate pro (mentor to all youngsters)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When is the announcement ceremony for Neves official unveiling as club captain?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves as Captain would be great

Sa as Vice captain for me.
1. It will give him responsibility and he thrives on it
2. It will temper his natural flair a little and help cut out his mistakes

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mouts has one year left think we need more continuity than that
That's a reasonable comment that actually highlights that our squad now has very few if any players older than late 20s. Most teams have some older heads around. My rationale was that the club captain is often a distinguished older figure who doesn't necessarily always play. The team captain should be a gimme starter.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When is the announcement ceremony for Neves official unveiling as club captain?

I think he would have to sign a new deal first.
My 2nd hand club source just before the pre-season tours started said that Neves has not asked for a move but won't sign an extension either. Hopefully, things have moved in a more positive direction since then.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Posters talking about neves being captain. Have I missed something, is he staying . ??

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves for sure if he stays
What i did notice was Collins was the guy appearing to give the huddle pep talk before the Leeds game,which i found interesting

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine Lage is waiting for the end of the window as no point in giving it to Neves if he leaves a few days later. If he stays then Neves should get it with Collins his stand-in.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Letting Conor leave was a big sign of intent.

This is Rubens team now. He will be skipper and as a result any teams wanting him will need to shell out MORE than they would've needed to before Monday.

Probably added another £10-15m on to his value now just by giving him the armband.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
any news on the backroom developments you mentioned previously?
Without betraying any trusts, not really im afraid! But there's more ambition than perhaps the last two seasons had led us to believe, and more basis for that too.

I just hope we can start delivering on the pitch again.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liam Keen

@LiamKeen_Star

On captaincy: "Ruben (Neves) for now will be captain. I am also thinking about Max (Kilman). He understands his role and there's a space for him to step up." #wwfc

Liam Keen

@LiamKeen_Star
·
39m

On Kilman leadership: "What Coady did is impossible to do because it depends on personalities. I have big respect for what Coady did but it's time for Max to move on and learn. They spent a lot of time together, so it's important for him what he learned." #wwfc

As vice captain. Like the idea of Kilman as a VC. Seems to be a bit more vocal through pre-season and the Leeds game.

Back
Top Bottom