Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

City Verdict

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I struggle to get too upset about the decision today or the last minute winner last week when we make absolutely no attempt to attack in either game.

Solid defensively at the expense of any attacking threat. Have we had a shot on target in December??

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was the comment from Pep after the game

City manager Pep Guardiola was scathing of his assessment of Wolves after the game, criticising their approach to the game.

He said: “It’s so difficult to play against a team like this who doesn’t want to play.”

So we play one of the best teams in the world, Are we meant to play and loose 6-0 and then be appreciated for trying to play and letting man city loose when they want to score
I suppose in all fairness I remember all our years in the championship when a Rotherham Luton Peterborough type turned up at Molineux with ten men behind the ball... I moaned a bit. It does make it hard. Which is why they did it, and why we have these last two games.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose in all fairness I remember all our years in the championship when a Rotherham Luton Peterborough type turned up at Molineux with ten men behind the ball... I moaned a bit. It does make it hard. Which is why they did it, and why we have these last two games.
You don't have to go that far back. Some were moaning about Burnley the other week.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you building a fence?

Agreed.

Disagree. VAR is there to right the wrongs. That was as wrong as it gets.

Is this a joke? Replace the whole midfield and attack? Would only cost £300m

We might 'want' to compete for Europe, but Fosun needs to 'want' and Shi needs to 'want' and demonstrate the 'want' by backing Bruno. Sadly, they won't.
Yes, I'm building a fence. Home Improvement style.

I don't think that's as clear as it gets. His arm was up for no reason and while I didn't get a great look, there was no definitive angle I saw that didn't 100% confirm it didn't graze his tricep first. I try to be as unbiased as possible and to me, it wasn't '100% without a doubt,' unfortunately.

I didn't say it would be cheap. $300M is a bit crazy for 5 players though considering what we've spent on most. I also don't think it'll all happen at once, just that it should be the goal. We would also bring back money selling some of those players.

I mean, were already fairly close to competing for Europe this year. The two hard losses the last two games won't help, but it's not out of reach. I just feel like we aren't that far off actually being closer to a lock. We just need to create more offense.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

City manager Pep Guardiola was scathing of his assessment of Wolves after the game, criticising their approach to the game.

He said: “It’s so difficult to play against a team like this who doesn’t want to play.”

So we play one of the best teams in the world, Are we meant to play and loose 6-0 and then be appreciated for trying to play and letting man city loose when they want to score
What would he have done if he was managing us with that squad?. Defending is a skill, and being able to break down defensive teams is a skill! We were actually better at our plan today than they were.
Crikey, we have a proper first team squad of about 13 PL quality fit outfield players and that’s it, and not one of them in reality would get in to Man City’s match day squad; we have to play to our strengths and had we kept 11 players on the park it may have worked.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bearing in mind I was listening in the car, my verdict:

- My word it was boring. Either this is the fault of the Talk****e commentators or a consequence of us now having scored only 1 in 6, but they do say if it’s bad on the radio…

- Highlight was visualising Grealish skying his tap-in into row T

- Lowlight was visualising Sterling’s smug face after being awarded what sounded like the dodgiest of penalties.

geowolf

Reaction score

I think it's Pep who's being defensive there. He knows that despite ridiculous investment his team still can't score enough goals = isn't going to win the Champions League anytime soon = managerial failure. And £100m on Grealish!! I guess they're going to spend some more ridiculous amount on a CF in January. I used to like City but they're becoming a self-parody of 'football success' imo.

Last edited:

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
It really ****es me off when managers who have spent hundreds and hundreds of millions of pounds on players moan about teams not playing open attacking football and getting spanked 6-0.
Agree 100%. Pep is and always has been a whiny **** and his team - Sterling, Grealish, Jesus - reflects his personality perfectly. Maybe one day our club will be purchased by the Saudi government and we'll have the ability to spend over $100M on a rotational winger, but until then it's pretty difficult to play open attacking football, let alone with 10 men for half the game!!

Amazing defensive performance, Coady MOTM for me but Kilman and RAN were great as well. Raul's actions feel like the culmination of weeks of frustration with our lack of attacking play, but he's still got to be way way smarter. Extremely disappointing and I'm sure he feels terrible about it. I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't know why Bruno took Adama off so early - he wasn't having a great game but hitting City on the counter was kind of our only path to a goal. Brighton midweek is enormous for us, they've been struggling a bit as of late and we need the points/confidence with Chelsea coming up.

Shame on the Premier League for giving Jon Moss a game that was always going to be one sided in possession. Put him on a surefire back and forth contest so the fat **** can get his steps in.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crikey, we have a proper first team squad of about 13 PL quality fit outfield players and that’s it
We had 8 players on the bench today who have played Premiership level. The one player who hasn't is Cundle. We were limited in who could have been introduced today but we are no where as limited as some fans seem to think we are. Lage in his time here has illustrated a number of weaknesses. These include the release on loan of MGW and an inability to use substitutes strategically. He got the best out of his panel today, on too many occasions he seems incapable of doing so.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Another hard luck story. Sorry but I’d asset strip that team today apart from Sa, Kilman and start again. We need new ideas going forward neves can’t do it on his own he’s too good for us.

Ref was awful we defended well but was never going to score seriously getting fed up of watching this. We give Lage 100m we would still play 3/5 at the back it’s not a style we should continue with absolutely boring to watch
Money & disruption???!!!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore was the only player they were scared of. He is poor on his own so the sub needed to be in midfield. Huang came on and made it so easy. Did nothing at all. He made the sub when we had just gone 1-0 down.

Trincao? Really?

Podence yes, but too late.

Lage has sorted us at the back and full credit to him but football is about goals. We don't even try. Constant backward passes and players miles from each other.

We do need a squad refresh but I also don't think for a second we're this bad in an attacking sense. It's the way we set up. Neto isn't going to magically change things.

Defence were superb as was neves, and the workrate was top notch, but you will never score if you don't try to attack. Last two games were somewhat excusable, if dour attacking wise, but this is an ongoing problem.

Traore was playing well alongside Raul, and had Raul stayed on, likely one of them would have eventually gotten a chance. It’s not his fault Raul got himself sent off, nor Bruno’s. On his own up front, Traore was ineffective - I saw it, the commentators saw it. With City attacking non stop (how many corners in the first 10 mins after HT?) it would be suicide to take a midfielder or defender off to bring a forward on. Hwang is bigger and more physical can Pod, so I can understand why Bruno used him to replace Traore.

Later on, having weathered City’s attempts to score a second, City eased off and appeared ready to settle for 1-0. At that stage, Bruno swapped midfielders for forwards. It’s a fair question to challenge whether Pod or Trincao should have come on first. Personally I’d have preferred Pod first, but ultimately we tried both, and we nearly equalised as we came forward in the final few minutes.

Bruno clearly has tactical nous and an approach to games. If we’re behind second half, he’s not scared to go for it as we saw against Villa, and late today. If we are level or ahead and up against it, he will generally seek to secure what we have. I’m not sure why anyone thinks that’s poor management or being found out? As far as he’s concerned, his job is to secure as many points and as high a position as possible.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I am in a Manchester city pub surrounded by city fans, they think we were cheatz, they didn't play well, and should have had another penalty, !!!
Their whole forum is calling us cheats and anti football, it makes me laugh that they’re so riled that we didn’t go and meekly roll over to have our tummies tickled. Their such a bunch of whiners these days

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I struggle to get too upset about the decision today or the last minute winner last week when we make absolutely no attempt to attack in either game.

Solid defensively at the expense of any attacking threat. Have we had a shot on target in December??

That's how I'm feeling. Today especially, we deserved nothing. Bickering about the penalty is just pointless stressing yourself! They would have scored eventually and there was no way we were ever going to score.

Learn what we can from the game. That there is little interplay through our midfield and forwards and this needs working on. Must say, I thought it funny when I saw that video of us training the other "Practicing finishing". Because surely we all knew, the problem against City (and Liverpool) is actually getting into a position to finish in the first place? What they needed to do was practice on quick moves to get through the opponents press. We have such an unbalanced squad, it's kind of inevitable though.

While results against City and Liverpool never define a season, I do have a feeling we are about to go (or are already in) one of those really bad runs that will see us drop down the table fast. Next match is more of a season definer and we really need them all up for that one.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their whole forum is calling us cheats and anti football, it makes me laugh that they’re so riled that we didn’t go and meekly roll over to have our tummies tickled. Their such a bunch of whiners these days

Aren't they the biggest FFP cheats of all? Not anti-football. Just anti-uber rich spoiled footballing primadonnas!

T

TheConcourse

Funny isn’t it, did they have a chance before the penalty - a real opportunity?

Come on Pep, come manage a team like Wolves on a % of a budget and go attack the billionaire giants.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If they want level games maybe they should spread their wealth about! They had a £100m player, I reckon our starting 11 didn’t cost that

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score

Stupid ****, I bet he didn't say that when we did the double over them..

****er.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Moutinho was absolutely fantastic, best game he has had for ages. If we didn't look so ****ing toothless in a 3 man midfield he'd still be fine there. In a 2 I am still convinced he is largely done though.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We had a shot on target this afternoon. Ederson tipped it over. Were you not watching?

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guess I should put a verdict.

Boring.

That's about it.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the price of playing at this level I'm afraid. Sending off - tick, penalty - tick. Just missed the disallowed goal for us for a full house.

Either accept how bent it all is or knock it on the head.

The PL is about as credible as wrestling.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the price of playing at this level I'm afraid. Sending off - tick, penalty - tick. Just missed the disallowed goal for us for a full house.

Either accept how bent it all is or knock it on the head.

The PL is about as credible as wrestling.
If they could get away with scripting and choreographing it, they would!!!

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Any manager that complains about how another team plays is a ****. The only exception being if they kick lumps out of your team which rarely happens these days.
Klopp did it as well last week, they're really out of touch with football reality, what do they expect?

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
What is there to analyse. I’m serious.

You go against these teams 11v11 and it’s really ****ing hard.

11v10 is almost impossible.

At 12v10 you may as well pack up and go home.

A couple of observations:

Four tactical fouls on Adama before a booking came.

Two bits of cynicism from Raul in 10 seconds and he’s gone (rightly so), but why doesn’t the referee ref the game in the context of the ****ing football match. Why is the first foul from Raul a soft yellow when Rodri, Sterling, Cancelo went unpunished for equally if not more cynical moments on Raul.

As for the penalty, I’m too angry to talk about it.

It’s easy for referees to impress the big boys when they want to hang out then back of them.
13 v 10, mate. They have increased the bias!

Back
Top Bottom