Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

CITY - CUP VERDICT

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Bright was superb today, just couldn't get the finish but his overall play, running the channels and bullying defenders was excellent.
But he is there to score gosls.
And he doesnt.
Great hussling and all that
Shielding
Approach work
But NO end product... again.
Weak link

D

Deleted member 3518

Wonderful performance. So proud.
For those criticising Bright's finishing, I took this from their website:

'The Chilean goalkeeper joins the Blues from Barcelona after signing a four-year-deal.
Bravo brings with him a wealth of experience including back-to-back La Liga titles with Barca and successive Copa America triumphs with Chile with whom the 33 year-old has won 106 caps and also the captain.
He won his 100th international cap in the Copa America Centenario as Chile beat Argentina in the final on penalties and is the first Chilean to win a century of caps'.

Nuff said.

KTF UTW

Totally proud!!

KTF.

W

WolfOfWellington

Feels like a win. A wonderful performance against the strongest team in the land. Took them all the way to penalties and could even have won it in normal time. Yes, we lost, but I feel the joy and pride one gets from a win. What a great squad and coach (and backroom staff) we have! What a time to be a Wolves fan. Very exciting times ahead and this is just a beautiful little prelude.

And our best kept secrets not even on the bench: Neves, Jota and Douglas.

Plus Boly to get back to fitness.

The depth and potential is phenomenal.

D

Deleted member 5242

First game ever where it brought a tear to my eyes! After that 90 minutes I was so proud. After 120 I applauded them from my lounge as loud as I could.

That is fighting for your club like I have never ever seen at Wolves before.

I loved that more than us winning 5-0.

It was the best, best moment I can remember from Wolves.

The result didn’t matter.

It was the pride those lads showed. Not one, not two but every single one.

That is what this club has craved. That is what I’ve craved and that performance right there is exactly what young wolves fans young kids should aspire too.

You fight for every inch, for every ball, every tackle, every header and you work god damn hard.

Fell in love with Wolves all over again tonight.

Chuffed.

Absolutely stinking chuffed.

You got over the disappointment of Nuno putting out a second team then ;):D

Nige

Reaction score
Fantastic effort by everyone involved.

Bright was superb and, despite not scoring, showed how important he can be for us. I thought the back 3 were outstanding too.

Nuno, tactical genius.

So many reasons to be proud and optimistic. No fan should feel upset or down beat after that.

Focus on the league now.
Bright was GOOD but in all fairness should of Won us the game but didn't... Jota on the other hand and we win 3-0 simple..

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredible performance. Four best chances of the game, three of which should have been buried.

On paper we should have had double figures put past us. City had £600m of talent on that pitch over the 120 minutes.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had to go by the comms for the verdict...

Norrisplendant! 10
The Batthman! 10
Coadylightful! 10
Hausome! 10
Bennetterrific! 10
The Price is Right! 10
N'Diaye of the Tiger! 10
Vinagreat! 10
Costamazing! 10
Marsallstar! 10
Enobakharey of sunshine! 10

Nuno 11

Fantastic effort from everyone. If only I wasn't so exhausted I could come up with better puns!
Agree with your scores except I gave the genius Nuno a 12

cannockwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
city fan on twitter

john dunne‏ @johndunnemcfc 18m18 minutes ago
Replying to @Wolves @ManCity
Best team we’ve faced this season
1f44f.png
hard fought win for us

1. Euan‏ @euanog 42m42 minutes ago
      Well played tonight Wolves. Unlucky not to snatch a win at some stages. Keep your heads up, we'll see you in the Prem next season.
      1f600.png

1 reply9 retweets73 likes
    2. 1 more reply

1. MCFC Denver‏ @MCFCDenver 39m39 minutes ago
      Your team was brilliant tonight. Hope to see you back in the Premier League next season.
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
      1f44f.png
    1. Tinners The Blue‏ @LIVE_LOVE_MCFC 38m38 minutes ago
      Best defensive performance I have witnessed against us for a long time! You’ll win that Championship Wolves! See you again next year!
      1f609.png

0 replies9 retweets27 likes

2. Once in a Blue Moon‏ @ourbluemoon 18m18 minutes ago
      Best domestic side at ours so far this season, and most well organised. See you in the top flight next season.

2 replies18 retweets46 likes

m. d. b ‏ @bobskino 34m34 minutes ago
      Hope to see you in the premier league next season.. We need good competition in the league. better than all the epL teams we faced so far
      1f602.png
  1. Roy Sykes‏ @roysykes11 39m39 minutes ago
    Wolves were head and shoulders over any side we've faced, Napoli included, very well played !

1. Alex ‏ @UnrealDybala 12m12 minutes ago
        You guys played amazing against us, hopefully we’ll see you in the prem next season
        1f44c-1f3fd.png

0 replies0 retweets4 likes

1. Maty‏ @KevinDeBaller 27m27 minutes ago
        Replying to @Wolves @JosephRichaards @ManCity
        You were by far the best defensive team we have competed against. Hats off.

0 replies3 retweets7 likes

1. Ste_Loffers‏ @sloughnan 29m29 minutes ago
        8 changes and still the best defensive performance I've seen this season, could easily have won too. See ya next season

0 replies3 retweets6 likes

1. Soo ‏ @manlikenachoo 43m43 minutes ago
        Well done guys . really want to see you in the EPL next season

GeoffPalmersLeftBoot

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think most of us were expecting the worst.

So to get through the 90 minutes at 0-0 was good.
To get through extra time at 0-0 was define.
For our Reserve team to lose only on penalties against the Premiership leaders is TOTALLY BREATH TAKING!!

If only it had been the featured match on Sky.

But then, I think we are no longer under anyone's radar.

K

kaohsiungwolf

Very, very proud tonight.

I'll take that as proof now that we have the right man in charge going forward, utter transformation.

My only slight negative is Bright, and I feel guilty for thinking it, fantastic build up play and incredible pace, but how long can he go on fumbling at the final hurdle?

It's like listening to a kid with a stutter who can't get their last word out, you desperately, desperately want them to deliver but you just know it's not going to come. I honestly feel really gutted for the lad tonight, I can imagine this game having a huge psychological impact.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not having any of this bright criticism. He's done tremendously well, as did the whole team. Playing virtually alone against the city backline he was still able to make chances. No-one else in the side has his combination of strength, speed and skill.

G

German Wolf

And he doesnt.
Shielding
Approach work
Weak link

Jesus wept.
After all that he did as a reserve and young lad against a top, top team with a world class keeper (see my other post!), I declare you a WUM of the first order. Such a pity that we can't get Bravo's opinion of Bright.
Tonight is a night to be proud of and to remember for years.
KTF UTW

cannockwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite, we would’ve won it with our first team but I’m proud of those who played immensely.

When it came to penalties though we had nobody apart from Cav or Boni who could take them. Writing was on the wall. That’s where the team which attacks during the game has a benefit when it goes to penos.

K

kaohsiungwolf

Totally proud!!

KTF.

Visiting home this week and said to my mum how much tonight's game reminded me of watching that cup game at Molineux over 20 years ago against Wednesday, the underdogs then, as now, huddled around a screen, barely able to watch. So proud then and still so proud now.

That is the beauty of cup competition, I don't think you'll catch many of us saying the League Cup is irrelevant for a while.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Truly fabulous performance, where we even shaded it on the best chances.
A very well coached team where it was clear that all the players knew exactly
what their role was at every point of the game, even if they at times couldnt
execute the best option.

Special mentions to Nuno first of all: tactically spot on, played very deep to prevent City getting in
behind us, and they became more and more frustrated. Wolves always looked dangerous
on the break, and the players knew where to make their runs.

Secondly to Enokbahare: made world class defenders look like monkeys, incredibly
fast reading of the game with some of his through passes to teammates, and
very strong on the ball. Almost the perfect game against one of the world's best
teams. He has to learn the dink over the goal keeper, admittedly a very hard skill,
but essential when his overall play will always result in many one on one situations.
(Having said that the City keeper was outstanding as well).

Thirdly to Norris in goal. Imperious performance. Superb positioning and reading of the game.

Fourthly to Connor Coady. Read the threats very well and made numerous interceptions, and
more often than not kept his head and passed the ball to a Wolves player. He has found his position.

Only negatives: no Jota on the bench. With Wolves playing on the counter this wasnt Bonatini's
game as his severe lack of pace meant he posed no threat. And it didnt look like Wolves had
practiced penalties or any sense of drama around penalties. Unlike Nuno, but it seemed he did
overlook a vital detail there.

But overall an amazing and inspiring night.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just home, went with my City supporting daughter who agrees that we are the best team that City have faced this season, especially when you look at the side they had out and the subs they brought on. As my daughter said, if that had been a league game we'd have snatched a point. We defended magnificently and would have won if Bright had half a football brain to go with his speed. Both goalkeepers were brilliant, a great performance from Norris, just a pity his distribution was a bit off although to be fair there were several occasions when he just didn't have an outlet. The whole defence were brilliant, Coady fantastic and considering the youngsters who played the future is looking good. Pity about the penalties but it's the league that matters this season anyway. Sorry if repeating what anyone else has said, haven't read all the posts, time for cocoa and bed now!

B

Boswell

Fair play to the man city fans, seem like a decent bunch

Guardiola on the other hand can go **** himself with this "the ball wasn't up to scratch" ****. Overrated sour grape

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he doesnt.
Shielding
Approach work
Weak link

There were no weak links tonight!

The kid is 19 years old and can only get better after the experience of playing against world class players. He played up front on his own and will have learned a lot tonight.

Bright has the ability and talent to be a Premier League player. Alan Mcinally had nothing but praise for him on his Sky Sports report.

Please don’t single out individual players!

SP04

Reaction score
Fantastic. Heartbreaking. Don't know where to start. A defeat has never felt this good. But we should have won it. Feel like throwing up.

0-0 after 120 against probably the best side in Europe at the moment. And Nuno Espirito Santo played our reserve team. Every single one in gold and black was a hero. Never mind N'Diaye and Coady missing penalties and Enobakhare not putting his chances away. This was the ultimate performance given the circumstances.

Let's start with how Nuno set us up. Many - including me - have been wondering wether he has a plan B. He has. We played 5-4-1 not 3-4-3. We defended very deep. But I would not say we were negative in any way. Just very organised. We knew exactly how to deal with their style of play. We counter attacked superbly when given the chance. We had virtually no possession at all, but still created the best chances. Should Bright have scored? Of course he should. But give him a break. He is 19. Most of the chances would never have been chances without his tremendous ability. Should Costa have scored? Of course he should. But he is still not match fit. He got in the right positions. He is positive. He will kill most opponents in the coming weeks.

But this was most of all a defensive performance. Will Norris was good in goal, but the two key saves he made came from errors he made himself. The heroes for me were the back five (from right): Ryan Bennett, Danny Batth, Conor Coady, Kourtney Hause, Ruben Vinagre. The latter was in trouble in the first half, but improved when Nuno decided to switch flanks for Marshall and Costa. Great game management.

And let's not forget our midfield. Costa might not be the best without the ball, but did what he could. Marshall also not great, but did not let us down. The credit goes to the middle two of Jack Price and Alfred N'Diaye. Yes, they did misplace a few passes between them, but it is only to be expected considering who we were playing. The key for me was their spot on positioning and decision making when not in possession.

Bright? Absolutely brilliant. If he was playing for any other club in England everyone on here would be creaming themselves what a talent he is. We don't need anyone in January if he and Bonatini stays fit. Perhaps a target man type for some games, but if we fail to find the right player, it doesn't matter: There won't be many games this season where we will need the traditional number 9 in the box type of player.

For all the fantastic battling performances the best moment for me was when Nuno decided to have a go at the linesman. His passion and outrage at an offside decision not going our way shows what he is all about: He will not be satisfied with heroic defeats. He wants to win. And for me, this was a game of football where Nuno Espirito Santo's Wolverhampton Wanderers proved to the football world we are not a sleeping giant. We are wide awake. And those who do not realise this will find out inside the next year. Not only are we going up - we will once again a force in English football.

Ratings (keeping Manchester City at 0-0 for 120 minutes should basically earn everyone a 9 or 10, but I'll just pretend we played Millwall away on a Tuesday to make it more varied):

Goalkeeper

Norris 8 - Good performance. A couple of poor passes, but they did not prove costly as he made the saves required. Would have thougt we would have needed a 10/10 performance from him to keep a clean sheet.

Back 5 (from right to left)

Bennett 9
- Very impressive. Disciplined. Kept his position. Won his battles. Would be a starter in every other team in the Championship.

Batth 10 - Our captain. I saw him make one mistake. But that is inevitable given the pressure we were under. A rock. And I couldn't see him misplace any passed against one of the best sides in the world. Stop critising him, he is an absolute hero. Yes he will make the odd mistake, but he will never let us down.

Coady 9 - Very, very good. Shame about the penalty. I think he made a couple of poor decisions whit his diagonal passed, but other than that, he was fantastic.

Hause 9 - First appearance of the season? Over weight? What a joke. One could not possibly ask for any more. Will give Nuno a selection headache with this performance.

Vinagre 8 - I thought he looked like our weak link in the first half. Made a couple of poor decisions, but luckily they did not cost us. Improved as the game progressed, and proved that he will be a star once he gets a few more games under his belt.

Midfield (from right to left)

Marshall 7
- I thought he was in trouble in the first half just like Vinagre. But he got better as the game went on. Made some good attacking decision with the ball. Will be interesting to see wether Nuno will give him a chance as a cover for Doherty at right wing back or if he thinks he needs cover behind him. Did better defensively than Costa in my opinion.

Price 8 - Had problems initially and made a few poor sliding challenges. But has a very good football brain. Yes, I saw him misplacing a few passes, but that happens when you play opposition of this calibre. Was very disciplined without the ball. Kept his position and proved why he deserved a new contract.

N'Diaye 8
- Saw less of the ball than Price. Made a few poor passes, but compensated with his great physique - a good match with Price (or Neves). I like him. Shame about the penalty.

Costa 7 - It must hurt not being as good as 6 months ago and knowing he missed his chance to become a legend. But he is getting there. Be patient. A great footballer.

Forward

Enobakhare 8 - Had he put even one of his chances away this would had been a 10/10 performance. But he didn't. Still, to me he proved why he is considered a future super star. The day will come when he puts those chances in the back of the net and we will be scared of the day he moves on to bigger and better things.

Substitutions

Ronan 6 -
I could not believe my eyes when Nuno brought him on first in a game like this. A couple of very silly mistakes that could have cost us. Put Bright through with a great ball. His confidence with the ball is very impressive. He will be a good player. Not sure what his best position is.

Cavaleiro 7 - Came on for Costa and looked good.

Bonatini 7 - On for Bright in extra time. Would surely have scored from those chances Bright got. But I am not sure he would have got them.

Manager

Nuno Espirito Santo 10 -
I was very disappointed when I saw what side he picked. But I will never doubt him again. Great game plan. Excellent game management. It looks like he might know what he is doing. I even think he might have shown Premier League managers how to stop Guardiola. I do not think Mourinho minds.

D

Deleted member 5910

You fight for every inch, for every ball, every tackle, every header and you work god damn hard.

Fell in love with Wolves all over again tonight.

Chuffed.

Absolutely stinking chuffed.

You might say, "The ball is never out and the game is never finished."

K

kaohsiungwolf

Fair play to the man city fans, seem like a decent bunch

Guardiola on the other hand can go **** himself with this "the ball wasn't up to scratch" ****. Overrated sour grape

Post match interviews? Where?

R

reanswolf

Just got back, had to sit with the noisy section of the City fans down to the right of the Wolves fans. I can tell you Wolves fans were so loud at times it just blotted out what City fans were singing.

But more importantly, to the lads, you were ****ing amazing, so proud, don't ever let your heads drop at that performance, it was sheer torture not being able to applaud your efforts.

This club won so many plaudits tonight, TOTAL RESPECT AND THANKS TO ALL THE LADS WHO PLAYED TONIGHT.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did any of the Bright knockers go to the match? His footwork, strength and skill tonight were first class. I am converted. He missed two one on ones which from my seat looked like decent saves. If only that one in the 90th minute had crept through Bravos legs. The place would've erupted.

Monswolf

Reaction score
Sat here on hospital after suffering 2 heart attacks in 2 days. Thank the lord they put my stents in today before the game. Have to say after the pain I have suffered over the last couple of days the lads tonight and our magnificent traveling support has made me feel a million dollars I am so proud of our club right now it’s hard to put into words. Looking forward to getting better and being fit enough to travel over to the uk to see one of the games to lend my support to the boys they deserve every single bit of praise they get

Finally Nuno Jeff and George thank you so much for giving me something to look forward to at a very difficult time personally

Wolvesayewe

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh dear Pep, you mean your £600m team didn't score because of the ball??????? what a prize plum!!
You should have said and we would have just stood and watched you score goals for fun!!

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sat here on hospital after suffering 2 heart attacks in 2 days. Thank the lord they put my stents in today before the game. Have to say after the pain I have suffered over the last couple of days the lads tonight and our magnificent traveling support has made me feel a million dollars I am so proud of our club right now it’s hard to put into words. Looking forward to getting better and being fit enough to travel over to the uk to see one of the games to lend my support to the boys they deserve every single bit of praise they get

Finally Nuno Jeff and George thank you so much for giving me something to look forward to at a very difficult time personally

Wolvesayewe
Glad the lads delivered you a tonic. I hope and pray you’re on the mend very soon

SE_Wolves

Reaction score
I’m so proud of the team tonight. We’ve got a talent with Norris, reminds me a lot of Murray, just work on his kicking and he will be top top class

Back
Top Bottom