Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chiquinho

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Chirewa is almost 21 and looks very lightweight.
I thought he was a youngster of 18 or 19. Should be showing more at his age. I don't mean the finished article of course but more than he has shown so far.

Last edited:

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was a youngster of 18 or 19. Should be showing more at his age. I don't mean the finished article of course but more that he has shown so far.
If he had blistering pace, I might get it. But I struggle to see what he is actually good at/better than his peers.

Fraser is probably the best finisher, Chiwome has an aggressive that is to like, but Chirewa (while early days) doesn’t even strike you as to what type of player he is.

At least Fabio (for ALL his faults) showed great movement and positioning to miss the chances.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
If he had blistering pace, I might get it. But I struggle to see what he is actually good at/better than his peers.

Fraser is probably the best finisher, Chiwome has an aggressive that is to like, but Chirewa (while early days) doesn’t even strike you as to what type of player he is.

At least Fabio (for ALL his faults) showed great movement and positioning to miss the chances.
They are all young players but I do not see anything remarkable about any of them whatsoever.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
We have see players come through the youth system at Wolves who had had top level carriers, not many -

- Keane
- Lescott
- Hennessey

You could see straight away that they were going to be good, they didn't need time. I don't see it with the 3 that played on Saturday.

I do also feel that the demise of reserve team football is to blame for much of this, the jump is far too big.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Chirewa is a midfield player, not a forward. When he's come on a couple of times towards the end of games, he's shown high work rate, good pressing of opponents, some good touches. He's in a completely different position to Fraser or Chiwome. Both of the latter look promising, imo. Fraser did ok after coming on against Villa, putting a good effort into the side netting. Chiwome makes good runs, but his team mates didn't want to pass the ball into space for him, a pity, that's how we beat Chelsea away, albeit with Neto and Cuhna!, but they were released early into counter attacks and Chiwome never got that chance. I like the look of all three, and it's also good to show there's a pathway to the first team for promising youngsters, even if this has been forced on us a bit early.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have see players come through the youth system at Wolves who had had top level carriers, not many -

- Keane
- Lescott
- Hennessey

You could see straight away that they were going to be good, they didn't need time. I don't see it with the 3 that played on Saturday.

I do also feel that the demise of reserve team football is to blame for much of this, the jump is far too big.

The three you mentioned all had the "advantage" of coming through whilst not in the top division. Makes it considerably easier to instantly impress.

Keane and Lescott certainly would have been successes, I'm sure... even if we were Premier League at the time... but both were top quality and would have made it anywhere. But as a rule, the Premier League is a very hard place for a youngster to shine.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always want to see something from a youngster. Just one thing you can cling to that they may make it.

Fraser looks miles off it for me, likewise Chirewa.

Chiwome however does have a bit about him. His mobility and some of the runs he made were encouraging.

It feels like we've gone back 10 years or so in football, where physicality is now imperative. If you can't run as an attacker, you're really up against it, you have to be exceptional. Unfortunately, Fraser and Chirewa don't look as though they've got that pace and whilst you can coach many things, you can't make a slow player fast.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Young players used to be able to play against men in The Central League. This bridged the gap between youth football and the professional game, and also gave managers and coaches an idea of who was good enough to make it, and who wasn't.

It was a catastrophic development to remove reserve team football and the reserve leagues.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chirewa, Fraser and Chiwome are not first team ready. We may occasionally need one on the bench. None should be starting or coming on. They would benefit from loans/playing regularly.

As I’ve posted elsewhere Chiwome and Fraser are 11th choice forwards within the club. Some of the reasoning they’re playing is we’ve been unlucky with injuries, due to loans and due to transfers not paying off (as every club has)!

Don’t judge them now or write them off. Accept them for what they are. Stop-gaps who may or may not come good in 2-3 years time.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always want to see something from a youngster. Just one thing you can cling to that they may make it.

Fraser looks miles off it for me, likewise Chirewa.

Chiwome however does have a bit about him. His mobility and some of the runs he made were encouraging.

It feels like we've gone back 10 years or so in football, where physicality is now imperative. If you can't run as an attacker, you're really up against it, you have to be exceptional. Unfortunately, Fraser and Chirewa don't look as though they've got that pace and whilst you can coach many things, you can't make a slow player fast.
I don’t know Craddock was pretty quick considering his age.

If you work on speed for example shuttle runs you will improve if you work on it consistently even if it’s small improvement.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Chirewa, Fraser and Chiwome are not first team ready. We may occasionally need one on the bench. None should be starting or coming on. They would benefit from loans/playing regularly.

As I’ve posted elsewhere Chiwome and Fraser are 11th choice forwards within the club. Some of the reasoning they’re playing is we’ve been unlucky with injuries, due to loans and due to transfers not paying off (as every club has)!

Don’t judge them now or write them off. Accept them for what they are. Stop-gaps who may or may not come good in 2-3 years time.
I don’t think anyone is judging them on how their entire careers will be in future, but the last 2 games have been basically playing with 10 men.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is judging them on how their entire careers will be in future, but the last 2 games have been basically playing with 10 men.
I'd argue that's been the same when we've played Bellegarde up there too, and it's like we've been playing with 10 players since the start of February. You can't have strikers who's only contribution is a dozen or so touches and occasionally retrieving the ball.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I'd argue that's been the same when we've played Bellegarde up there too, and it's like we've been playing with 10 players since the start of February. You can't have strikers who's only contribution is a dozen or so touches and occasionally retrieving the ball.
Very difficult to argue with what you’ve said there.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And against Burnley
The two strikers have not been entirely useless, imv. They are concentrating on doing the simple things right, hassling defenders, an
and making runs into the box, when we are attacking. There's probably not much more they can do at this stage of development.

I could imagine both grabbing a goal or two.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The two strikers have not been entirely useless, imv. They are concentrating on doing the simple things right, hassling defenders, an
and making runs into the box, when we are attacking. There's probably not much more they can do at this stage of development.

I could imagine both grabbing a goal or two.
If they drop deeper and pick up the ball they would link the play a lot better but if Gary wants them to be higher up the pitch it’s up to him

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to be hitting form at the end of the season. Maybe he took some time after that injury to get fit and firing. I’m not saying he’s getting in the starting 11 next season but we’ve got squad players ready made and ready to compete, please don’t sell them all. Just sign first team starters in the summer and get some competition for places going on.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to be hitting form at the end of the season. Maybe he took some time after that injury to get fit and firing. I’m not saying he’s getting in the starting 11 next season but we’ve got squad players ready made and ready to compete, please don’t sell them all. Just sign first team starters in the summer and get some competition for places going on.
when some write players off who are out on loan it because since we have been a premier league team we haven't had one player who has returned to being a full time squad player....doing well at a lower level doesn't automatically make you a decent premier league squad player...hopefully this may change with Yerson but i don't hold much hope for the rest.....being out on loan largely means shop window in reality....

some of our fans cling onto the hope for far too long we need to move some players out a lot quicker...starting with a big cull on loan players....some of them will be mentioning Bolla again soon for the 4th summer running....

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
when some write players off who are out on loan it because since we have been a premier league team we haven't had one player who has returned to being a full time squad player....doing well at a lower level doesn't automatically make you a decent premier league squad player...hopefully this may change with Yerson but i don't hold much hope for the rest.....being out on loan largely means shop window in reality....

some of our fans cling onto the hope for far too long we need to move some players out a lot quicker...starting with a big cull on loan players....some of them will be mentioning Bolla again soon for the 4th summer running....

Lets see what happens in the summer. I have a feeling he will be given a chance with the squad as we need more options in attack next season. He may be a very decent squad player/ option off the bench.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets see what happens in the summer. I have a feeling he will be given a chance with the squad as we need more options in attack next season. He may be a very decent squad player/ option off the bench.
got no problem with the hope....the lad is doing ok , definitely from a fitness perspective after his bad injury......whilst we need numbers i actually think it 2/4 quality additions we need as such.....doesn't need to be expensive signing just players who the manager wants as such....the kids will always make up the numbers outside the core 18/20 player group...most players are out on loan largely because they aye fancied.....

does his fitness means its a good time to sell.......when deep down will all nw he probably wont make a premier league player.....any truth in the signing of the lad from braga i can not see any future for chiquinho .......lets also be honest if Neto goes O'Neil will want a replacement....

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree that the lads going to lower leagues are effectively shop window players unless they have a brilliant season and are worth looking at. Chiquinho is one who I feel has a future here if he can stay injury free and takes this late season form (apparently, going off what I’ve read) into pre season.

Lads like Cundle, Hoever, Hodge and Campbell (off the top of my head) probably won’t play for us again and will probably raise £5m+ combined being optimistic.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that the lads going to lower leagues are effectively shop window players unless they have a brilliant season and are worth looking at. Chiquinho is one who I feel has a future here if he can stay injury free and takes this late season form (apparently, going off what I’ve read) into pre season.

Lads like Cundle, Hoever, Hodge and Campbell (off the top of my head) probably won’t play for us again and will probably raise £5m+ combined being optimistic.
but famalicao isn't much up from that level........only a similar level to Estoril from where we signed him....his value as a player is about 2m....about the same level as when we signed him.........we sent him to Stoke for fitness it didn't work...i think part of the reason we sent him back to Portugal was yes fitness but also shop window.....i think IF a Portuguese club bids say 4/5m in our current financial position added to his fitness worries we may decide to sell...

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but famalicao isn't much up from that level........only a similar level to Estoril from where we signed him....his value as a player is about 2m....about the same level as when we signed him.........we sent him to Stoke for fitness it didn't work...i think part of the reason we sent him back to Portugal was yes fitness but also shop window.....i think IF a Portuguese club bids say 4/5m in our current financial position added to his fitness worries we may decide to sell...
He’s playing mid table in the Portuguese league. Whilst the league isn’t exactly top, top level it’s far removed from a farmers league like the SPL or Swiss league (where Toti served a bit of an apprenticeship) and I’d say it’s on a par, if not better than the French league currently (where we like looking for players). Players regularly go from the top Portuguese sides for huge amounts of money so there’s a lot of talent in the league that he’s playing against.

Maybe he won’t make the grade but if he has a good pre season I would be delighted if we keep him around; can play either side, has (at least before the injury) great pace and seems pretty skilful.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This loan move is just what he needed never really felt he was ready even before the injury when he came into the side and did some good things felt he was a bit raw. Talent there but needed to work on his all round game and looking at him looks like he bulked up as well which is good.

Feel him and Mosquera are the two that can come back in next season and give us better squad depth!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really sure what I base this opinion on: but I think Chiquinho is the type of player that will work well with GON. Mosquera too.

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score

Toti is the only one I can think of.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti is the only one I can think of.
yes but slightly different in a way.....we signed him relatively cheap ..he went to grasshoppers and we brought him in.....we didn't have him around for 12 to 36 months and then decide to loan him out....

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yes but slightly different in a way.....we signed him relatively cheap ..he went to grasshoppers and we brought him in.....we didn't have him around for 12 to 36 months and then decide to loan him out....
He signed in Jan. 2022 but got badly injured in July 2022 (Wiki). Took a year to recover before going out on loan. So realistically we've only seen him for 6 months - bit early to write him off.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see him involved in the squad next season, at the very least to provide some depth. Assuming a front three:

LW - Cunha/Hwang/Bellegarde
ST - New/New
RW - Neto/Sarabia/Chiquinho

I think it would be wise to carry more depth next season, especially with how injury prone Hwang and Neto are. With every game lasting 100 minutes and the 5 sub rule, plenty of game time for all involved over the course of an entire season.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He signed in Jan. 2022 but got badly injured in July 2022 (Wiki). Took a year to recover before going out on loan. So realistically we've only seen him for 6 months - bit early to write him off.
yes i always said i feel for the lad with his injury...all I've said is it wouldn't surprise me IF we get a bid we may consider it....all things considered....

Back
Top Bottom