Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Che Adams - not signing close thread

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's crap, simple as that. A completely mediocre CF. Champs level at best and perhaps shows the aspirations of this club now. We had better forwards when we were in Lg 1 and Champs - Dicko, Afobe, Sako, Cav, Costa and how far have we fallen from prime Jimenez. We're filling the squad but that's about it. Totally underwhelming.
You do know he has more premier league goals alone than those players collectively that you mentioned we had in the championship and league one, right??

He’s absolutely not prime Raul (neither is Raul himself who is a shadow of his former self) but he’s head and shoulders above the rest you mention

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf

Patricio and Moutinho were the only great shakes. Traore was the same as he is seen now and Raul was seen as a non scoring forward who had a **** World Cup.

No one knew Jonny.

Long as they fit the system that we are attempting to play that's half the battle.
I remember the comments about Raul after that Mexico/Germany game (I think). He'd have fitted in well with today's moves.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our first PL Summer transfer window;

Patricio
Jonny
Jota (made to perm)
Boly (made to perm)
Moutinho
Traore
Raul

Our sixth season PL Summer transfer window
King
Doherty
Doyle
Gonzalez
Bueno
Adams

I get it, we want to feel good about it. But we are on a completely different trajectory now.
Whatever the reasons a) Fosun's lack of investment b) Fosun's previous investment c) FFP d) Stopping reliance on Jorge e) Reset of aims f) China's economy etc etc etc blah blah blah, you are right- player-for-player we are on a completely different trajectory. Not a single player signed this Summer improves the first team.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Patricio
Jonny
Jota (made to perm)
Boly (made to perm)
Moutinho
Traore
Raul

King
Doherty
Doyle
Gonzalez
Bueno
Adams

I get it, we want to feel good about it. But we are on a completely different trajectory now.
True but Cunha and Traore were both made to permanent now and for consistency should be added. Jonny and Raul were loans so only spent on Patricio (£13m?), Moutinho ( £5m?), Traore. (£15m?) and Raul was very unproved in the eyes of Wolves fans.

I agree feels less and certainly compared to excitement back then, but happier than a couple of weeks ago.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Patricio
Jonny
Jota (made to perm)
Boly (made to perm)
Moutinho
Traore
Raul

King
Doherty
Doyle
Gonzalez
Bueno
Adams

Oh indeed, and that's why FOSUN's tenure is probably limited to another few years at most because they don't have the resources to progress the club anymore. Now it's all about surviving.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever the reasons a) Fosun's lack of investment b) Fosun's previous investment c) FFP d) Stopping reliance on Jorge e) Reset of aims f) China's economy etc etc etc blah blah blah, you are right- player-for-player we are on a completely different trajectory. Not a single player signed this Summer CURRENTLY improves the first team.
One minor change although l basically agree (and that's without taking account of outgoings which weaken it).

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Loptegui left its like a growing realisation that the club has decided to return to a moderate, middle of the road policy that will perhaps just keep us out of relegation trouble but never achieve anything greater than that. O'Neil is just the kind of workmanlike (and cheap) manager that fits the new mould and Adams is just the kind of player that inhabits the squad of a bottom six team.

You look back at Neves, Jota, Moutinho (at his best), Jimenez, Patricio, even Nunes and realise Fosun are happy these days to devalue the Wolves currency now rather than deepen its value as a club that can attain Europa league status.
You look at Villa now and the excellent business they have done under a first class manager in Emery this summer and see they have completely overtaken us when before we were neck and neck and at one point definitely surpassing them under peak Nuno. They are focused on an Europa League status and perhaps more. Poor old Adams will do his best and hopefully score the odd goal but its what he represents in terms of lower expectations and the acceptance of a second class status in the Premier League that bugs many of us I suspect.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Loptegui left its like a growing realisation that the club has decided to return to a moderate, middle of the road policy that will perhaps just keep us out of relegation trouble but never achieve anything greater than that. O'Neil is just the kind of workmanlike (and cheap) manager that fits the new mould and Adams is just the kind of player that inhabits the squad of a bottom six team.

You look back at Neves, Jota, Moutinho (at his best), Jimenez, Patricio, even Nunes and realise Fosun are happy these days to devalue the Wolves currency now rather than deepen its value as a club that can attain Europa league status.
You look at Villa now and the excellent business they have done under a first class manager in Emery this summer and see they have completely overtaken us when before we were neck and neck and at one point definitely surpassing them under peak Nuno. They are focused on an Europa League status and perhaps more. Poor old Adams will do his best and hopefully score the odd goal but its what he represents in terms of lower expectations and the acceptance of a second class status in the Premier League that bugs many of us I suspect.
Agreed... But the bloody ticket prices will not drop commensurately!

To put it in finest Vinny speak we will be paying premium prices for a mediocre product.

Last edited:

bigwolf

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is moaning.

We have a record level. What more do you want.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Loptegui left its like a growing realisation that the club has decided to return to a moderate, middle of the road policy that will perhaps just keep us out of relegation trouble but never achieve anything greater than that.

They didn't say that, anywhere.
They said they need to be very tight this season in order to get back to normal next season, and the season after, and the season after.
This is all about correcting mistakes and paying the consequences of tactical mistakes. In short, we bought too crap for too much money and that put us into trouble that is going to take us 12 months to get away from, IF we stay up.
There is no evidence whatsoever that we will not spend again. We spent a fortune just 8 months ago, after spending an awful lot this time 12 months ago. We are spending money tonight on players, just not as much as we did before...because we already spent that money !

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know!! I took pelters for saying we needed strength in depth as it was too thin……

This proves that Hobbs being a proper football man knew that the squad was light going into the season.

I have said all summer, how good Hobbs is, the moves he is making, have patience in him as he is the man we needed sooner in this role! I have confidence going forward with squad planning and refreshing with Matt in post.

Good clubs in the prem aren’t small squads, they have good numbers and multiple players across multiple roles and also some players who have a point of difference to freshen the matchday squad as and when needed if things look stale or sudden drops of form or injury strikes.

Well done mr Hobbs!!
Not necessarily fast or furious?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They said they need to be very tight this season in order to get back to normal next season, and the season after, and the season after.
This is all about correcting mistakes and paying the consequences of tactical mistakes. In short, we bought too crap for too much money and that put us into trouble that is going to take us 12 months to get away from, IF we stay up.
There is no evidence whatsoever that we will not spend again. We spent a fortune just 8 months ago, after spending an awful lot this time 12 months ago. We are spending money tonight on players, just not as much as we did before...because we already spent that money !
Your second para is massively optimistic. Shi's letter about next summer was so full of caveats...

This could well be the new normal...

Edited to add: l notice that you don't mention who it was who made the tactical mistakes.... Yes, it was Mr Shi/Fosun.....

Last edited:

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Some sense at last! Fed up of reading all the rubbish on here from folk who just seem content to moan about our owners not putting in millions of THEIR money for OUR entertainment. Get real everyone. Fosun have spent mega-bucks for several years and yes - it was great to dream of top 6 - but the reality is we struggle to attract the very best, and will continue to do so. In order to get the next best to come, we paid over-the-top prices and have had our fingers burned because we simply have not been able to sell hardly anyone for break-even, let alone a profit! (FFP does not hit some as hard because they HAVE been able to sell players for massive profits, so they can bring in expensive replacements. And some have made brilliant buys and sold them e.g. Brighton. Who have we sold from our vaunted Academy? Hardly anyone - MGW an honourable(??!!) exception.

Who can blame Fosun for wanting to adapt our model - not to be a 'middle of the road' team, but a club which is self-financing and self-sustaining by brilliant recruitment and excellent coaching and - at the right time - sales at a profit?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be delighted if we get Che Adams in.

I just don't understand the sniffy attitude, OK he is not a 'name' or some foreign mercenary but the guy has 28 premier league goals and 123 premier league appeances in his career.

Who are we going to buy that has that amount of proven premier league experience and is still capable?

Clearly Cuhna and Silva are the main men at present, there is little doubt that over the course of the season one of them are going to be unavailable at some point - Adams is great back-up to fill in or come on late in games.

This is just good squad managements for a long hard season as far as I can tell.

If he plays well he may well dislodge Silva, but it's up to the rest of the squad to raise their game.

If it doesn't work and is **** as people suggest what does it matter? It's just a loan.

If he has a Stella season and hits 20 goals £15m is going to sound like peanuts.

I just don't get the negativity. He is a good trainer, brings prem experience, might get a few goals, and more to the point costs very little.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I just don't understand the sniffy attitude, OK he is not a 'name' or some foreign mercenary but the guy has 28 premier league goals and 123 premier league appeances in his career.

Who are we going to buy that has that amount of proven premier league experience and is still capable?

Clearly Cuhna and Silva are the main men at present, there is little doubt that over the course of the season one of them are going to be unavailable at some point - Adams is great back-up to fill in or come on late in games.

This is just good squad managements for a long hard season as far as I can tell.

If he plays well he may well dislodge Silva, but it's up to the rest of the squad to raise their game.

If it doesn't work and is **** as people suggest what does it matter? It's just a loan.

If he has a Stella season and hits 20 goals £15m is going to sound like peanuts.

I just don't get the negativity. He is a good trainer, brings prem experience, might get a few goals, and more to the point costs very little.
Agree completely, remember the Trinco, Guedes, and to some degree Nunes effect, part of the reason we are in such a hole. We now have a squad and if a player is not performing he can be replaced.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh indeed, and that's why FOSUN's tenure is probably limited to another few years at most because they don't have the resources to progress the club anymore. Now it's all about surviving.

Fosun tbf have the resources. Its more now their will to drive us on. I still think their ambition is high for us, but they need to accept they need to put in more money to get the project back on track.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Every signing so far someone has moaned.

Some depressing souls on here

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't be super excited by this but it's an entirely understandable option. He's probably good for 5-10 goals and our preferred options are either coming back from a serious injury or young. Hope he's not a regular starter over either Sasa or Fabio though.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Always liked him as a player when I first seen him play for Sheffield United and was gutted we didnt sign him before Bham City did. A hardworking and skilful attacker. Stagnated a bit at Soton and should have moved on sooner than now.

I think he'll surprise us this season and will be our top scorer (double figures!!).

Needs to get more respect than some on here are showing.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some sense at last! Fed up of reading all the rubbish on here from folk who just seem content to moan about our owners not putting in millions of THEIR money for OUR entertainment. Get real everyone. Fosun have spent mega-bucks for several years and yes - it was great to dream of top 6 - but the reality is we struggle to attract the very best, and will continue to do so. In order to get the next best to come, we paid over-the-top prices and have had our fingers burned because we simply have not been able to sell hardly anyone for break-even, let alone a profit! (FFP does not hit some as hard because they HAVE been able to sell players for massive profits, so they can bring in expensive replacements. And some have made brilliant buys and sold them e.g. Brighton. Who have we sold from our vaunted Academy? Hardly anyone - MGW an honourable(??!!) exception.

Who can blame Fosun for wanting to adapt our model - not to be a 'middle of the road' team, but a club which is self-financing and self-sustaining by brilliant recruitment and excellent coaching and - at the right time - sales at a profit?
So the club don’t get our money via;

Season tickets
Match day tickets
Merch sales
Food and drink at ground
Tv revenue - via Sky and tnt subscriptions

It isn’t all their own money!!!! They get more than a significant chunk from us!!!!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fosun are an investment company and if they sold us today they’d make a nice healthy profit so don’t try and make out their some some sort of benevolent owner doing it out of their own hearts for the love of the club.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Optimism. Blind faith. Any difference? I'm generally more of a realist mate and will continue to hold my opinions on that basis. You can suck it all you want, if thats you thing. I expect and want better. Simple as.
Want better than what?

It's a 20 team league with 7 of the club having superior financial muscle than the other 13.

What exactly are you hoping to be better for without being bought out by an oil state?

Being run like Brighton who buy sensible and within a remit? The same Brighton who sign James Milner this summer.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whatever the reasons a) Fosun's lack of investment b) Fosun's previous investment c) FFP d) Stopping reliance on Jorge e) Reset of aims f) China's economy etc etc etc blah blah blah, you are right- player-for-player we are on a completely different trajectory. Not a single player signed this Summer improves the first team.
They might not look like they strengthen us much on paper, but they might strengthen us on the field - and let's be honest, we've been pretty poor on that for a while now.

We haven't spent big on an individual, but that has rarely worked for us either in recent times. I'm quite happy with this window especially if we can get another over the line today (plus Adams on loan). And I'm quite happy to move away from being so heavily influenced by the Mendes connection - although it obviously benefited us, particularly in the early Nuno years.

Overall, I'm feeling more positive than I was a few weeks ago - by the way we've managed Nunes and the fact we're finally getting players in, even if not currently big names, and Hobbs seeming to have more influence/say (and a bit less from Jeff).

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are an investment company and if they sold us today they’d make a nice healthy profit so don’t try and make out their some some sort of benevolent owner doing it out of their own hearts for the love of the club.
I don't see SilverstoneWolf trying to make that argument anywhere in his post tbf. What he says is true though, FOSUN are not a bored multi billionaire looking for a new plaything, or a gulf state with unlimited funds looking for legitimacy. They are an investment company that has already invested huge sums into the club, more than any other owner in the past. At some stage they understandably want a return on their money.

It was sound business strategy to invest heavily in establishing us in the Premier League but the next stage always had to be that we would become self-sustaining. We are not a big club and we haven't had the benefit of 30 years of global Premier League exposure so we don't have the commercial reach or income of a Man Utd or Liverpool to be able to just keep spending big. It takes decades to build that up, not 5 years, and we haven't been a big club for nearly 70 years (if anyone thinks we were big in the early 70's, go back and look at the Dennis Waterman series Match of the 70's on YouTube, we are barely ever mentioned)

But he's right in that football supporters are like children that always want more shiny new toys and throw a tantrum if they don't get them. If you think I'm wrong, just look back at the Transfer Window thread where you will see the owners who have brought us the most sustained success in two generations called 'the worst owners in the league' 'asset strippers' 'charlatans' 'frauds' 'the new Bhatti Brothers' and so on.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Were you saying that last year when we were signing Nunes for £44m and Cunha for £45m? We've been one of the highest spenders in the league for years.

Villa splash the cash every single year on big 'recognised' names, and Wolves fans cast envious glances at the Coutinho's and Tielemans of this world, yet they still can't beat the mighty Wanderers! One win in the last 8 against us - and that was the covid season.

We've had one summer of reigning back the spending and somehow it's all doom and gloom.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul Jimenez 135 games 40 goals

Che Adams 123 games 25 goals

He may not be that exciting but he also isn't the total crap many seems to be suggesting in the prem
I love that. 'He may not be exciting, but he isn't crap'. Could make a good chant.
Just read that Bournemouth are interested so that probably puts an end to any hopes of signing him. They always beat us to the punch. Wilson and Scott. Expect to see him moving along the south coast today.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see SilverstoneWolf trying to make that argument anywhere in his post tbf. What he says is true though, FOSUN are not a bored multi billionaire looking for a new plaything, or a gulf state with unlimited funds looking for legitimacy. They are an investment company that has already invested huge sums into the club, more than any other owner in the past. At some stage they understandably want a return on their money.

It was sound business strategy to invest heavily in establishing us in the Premier League but the next stage always had to be that we would become self-sustaining. We are not a big club and we haven't had the benefit of 30 years of global Premier League exposure so we don't have the commercial reach or income of a Man Utd or Liverpool to be able to just keep spending big. It takes decades to build that up, not 5 years, and we haven't been a big club for nearly 70 years (if anyone thinks we were big in the early 70's, go back and look at the Dennis Waterman series Match of the 70's on YouTube, we are barely ever mentioned)

But he's right in that football supporters are like children that always want more shiny new toys and throw a tantrum if they don't get them. If you think I'm wrong, just look back at the Transfer Window thread where you will see the owners who have brought us the most sustained success in two generations called 'the worst owners in the league' 'asset strippers' 'charlatans' 'frauds' 'the new Bhatti Brothers' and so on.
But football club ownership is not a profitable endeavour for owners. Every successful and even most middle of the road clubs are running on significant debt.

Football isn’t like normal business, it cannot be run like one. Fosun haven’t even managed the finances properly, as despite record and successive price increases we are in the financial stink. They have screwed up the most important and crucial part of running a football club…. The playing squad!! They admitted they got salaries wrong, transfers wrong (mendes clients the biggest issues) and then the refreshing of the squad.

Fosun have frittered away the money, so they have needed to spend cash to correct their own errors!

I won’t join the pity party or feel sorry for them wasting money to correct their own errors…… and badly spent the money again mostly by overpaying on players, when trying to correct the previous wasting of good money……

If fosun thought they could be the first people to make a premier league football club successful (they made the statements) while also being self sustaining, then they are not really very clever business men……

loppers86

Reaction score
I think our expectations have been tempered , and after the lows of the last few weeks , these last couple of days have picked us up off the floor
we’ll be back on the floor soon enough when the ridiculous decision to appoint a 4th rate manger comes home to roost.

surreywolf

Reaction score
Jeez some of you guys… I’m just grateful we’re spending a bit considering where we were a week or two ago…. sad about Nunes but probably a luxury we couldn’t afford

Considering how things were looking when JL walked I’m just glad we’ve got Sir Matthew Hobbs in the building and hitting the phones

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Surely Adams is not coming in as our main striker and figurehead but to complement and initially back-up our two key strikers who cost in excess of £50 million between them?

We're shopping in a different supermarket these days, but if we still have those premium players, why all the fuss?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were you saying that last year when we were signing Nunes for £44m and Cunha for £45m? We've been one of the highest spenders in the league for years.

Villa splash the cash every single year on big 'recognised' names, and Wolves fans cast envious glances at the Coutinho's and Tielemans of this world, yet they still can't beat the mighty Wanderers! One win in the last 8 against us - and that was the covid season.

We've had one summer of reigning back the spending and somehow it's all doom and gloom.

To be fair, in six years of PL under Fosun, in three of them, we’ve either spent net zero (near as dammit) or net negative. It’s only in three that we’ve spent big on a net basis - the first two, and last year.

Back
Top Bottom