Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Central Midfield

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant get past the fact that no matter who we put their we dont have anybody capable of picking the ball up, bursting through the middle and having a shot on goal. There is no drive in that area. Mcdonald, Coady & Price dont get into the final third enough. We need an attacking midfielder who can play football (that rules out Edwards) and really drive play forward.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant get past the fact that no matter who we put their we dont have anybody capable of picking the ball up, bursting through the middle and having a shot on goal. There is no drive in that area. Mcdonald, Coady & Price dont get into the final third enough. We need an attacking midfielder who can play football (that rules out Edwards) and really drive play forward.

When we went to a 3 man midfield I'm surprised Wallace wasn't introduced to be honest. He seems a tidy enough player who's willing to carry the ball forward & with this not being McDonald, Coady or Prices natural game i thought it would have made more sense or at least gave us a better mix in there.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we went to a 3 man midfield I'm surprised Wallace wasn't introduced to be honest. He seems a tidy enough player who's willing to carry the ball forward & with this not being McDonald, Coady or Prices natural game i thought it would have made more sense or at least gave us a better mix in there.

That would've been far too positive mate.

Soapbox

Reaction score
Midfield personnel is a bit moot when the ball sails 15 foot over their heads 80% of the time, en route from keeper or Baath to the giant Le Fondre.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had one in Jacobs, but decided to give him fleeting opportunities on the wing and then flog him when surprisingly that didn't work out. We have also sold our only footballing centre half so you can forget about playing anything resembling decent football.

4-2-3-1 worked wonders for us (It's not negative contrary to what some believe), this pseudo 4-4-2 with Afobe dropping into defence just exposes our inability to press the opposition and close teams down.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We ain't buying anyone unless we sell Afobe.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said last season, I thought we needed a centre midfielder, someone like Leadbitter, Lansbury, someone who's gonna get you a decent amount of goals. Instead we signed Conor Coady... A poor man's Jack Price.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said before the game that before we sold RS our defence with DB back was ok. Our attack was fine prior to the ND injury but for some time now it has been the mf - cmf and out wide which has been the poorest area for me. Without Sako we have no one on our books (KMac?) who can make the killer ball to split defences and certainly no mf who will get you 10-12 goals a season. We'd be lucky to get 10 goals from the whole of this mf this season! I could say more but tbh I can't be *****.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I said last season, I thought we needed a centre midfielder, someone like Leadbitter, Lansbury, someone who's gonna get you a decent amount of goals. Instead we signed Conor Coady... A poor man's Jack Price.

It was an odd signing rather than a left winger or attacking midfielder. Wonder if Jackett realised he was spending practically all his budget at the time. Suspect not judging by his comments after the Boro cup game.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I said on another post somewhere, but when you consider our starting 11 against Brentford only some 20 months ago, compared to now when we're in a higher league supposedly pushing for the Premier League, they're world's apart.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't think of many players that "Drive" from deep midfield anymore. Yaya but I wouldn't play him there in big games.

Its a dieing trend because it leaves gaps.

But, what I think the problem is. the Number 10, isn't creative enough. Afobe or Edwards. Are more like deep strikers then playmakers.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lansbury is valued at £6m+ Leadbitter goes most his goals from pens but is given a lot more freedom.

Coady is nothing like Price. It's like comparing Owen and Crouch because there both strikers when they both bring something different.

A

AlexWWFC

Lansbury is valued at £6m+ Leadbitter goes most his goals from pens but is given a lot more freedom.

Coady is nothing like Price. It's like comparing Owen and Crouch because there both strikers when they both bring something different.

Coady and Price do the same job, they are defensive midfield players, Crouch and Owen had obvious differences but Price and Coady are actually very similar.

They do the same job but in a different way it's more like comparing Crouch with Carrol they do the same thing but in different ways, the problem is for our team Price is more suited.

I love a hard tackling CM player it's the kind of attitude Wolves are built on but in this system we need Price.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady and Price do the same job, they are defensive midfield players, Crouch and Owen had obvious differences but Price and Coady are actually very similar.

They do the same job but in a different way it's more like comparing Crouch with Carrol they do the same thing but in different ways, the problem is for our team Price is more suited.

I love a hard tackling CM player it's the kind of attitude Wolves are built on but in this system we need Price.

But you have just said Coady offers a tough tackle and Price doesn't. Coady offers an aggressive presence in the middle. Price, reads the game and covers the gaps. Price will do the simple passes, Coady does like to play a longer, harder ones at times. Coady also like to get forward and can hit a ball. Price likes to stay deep, let others run and he likes to cover.

Different players same position.

A

AlexWWFC

But you have just said Coady offers a tough tackle and Price doesn't. Coady offers an aggressive presence in the middle. Price, reads the game and covers the gaps. Price will do the simple passes, Coady does like to play a longer, harder ones at times. Coady also like to get forward and can hit a ball. Price likes to stay deep, let others run and he likes to cover.

Different players same position.

Price is there to fill gaps, play simple passes and win back the ball. That is a defensive midfielder, that is what Coady should be doing but isn't. Crouch and Owen did 2 completely different jobs, Coady and Price do the same job but in different ways, the problem is one does it well while the other doesn't.

A tough tackling midfielder is part of a defensive midfielders make up and is what Coady is good at however there are too many things he doesn't do well enough that Price does which make up for the fact he isn't a touch tackling midfielders.

Same job different ways to do it, Crouch and Owen had different jobs. Price and Coady do the same job

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Price is there to fill gaps, play simple passes and win back the ball. That is a defensive midfielder, that is what Coady should be doing but isn't. Crouch and Owen did 2 completely different jobs, Coady and Price do the same job but in different ways, the problem is one does it well while the other doesn't.

A tough tackling midfielder is part of a defensive midfielders make up and is what Coady is good at however there are too many things he doesn't do well enough that Price does which make up for the fact he isn't a touch tackling midfielders.

Same job different ways to do it, Crouch and Owen had different jobs. Price and Coady do the same job

Wouldn't a player that main job to win the ball be a defensive midfielder?

You are just saying you have a preference of a type of defensive midfielder.

A

AlexWWFC

Wouldn't a player that main job to win the ball be a defensive midfielder?

You are just saying you have a preference of a type of defensive midfielder.

No because if you ever watched Claude makelele or however you spell his name, Roy Keane, Matic, Patrick Vieira or even George Thorne (I think his first name is George that could be wrong) they had many more abilities than just winning the ball back.

A defensive midfielders job isn't just to win the ball back and the players I listed above had slightly different ways to do their job. The difference is from what you said Owen and Crouch had hugely different ways of playing where as those defensive midfielders had slight differences but did the same job.

Would you tell Owen he had to win headers and hold up play? Would you tell Crouch he had to run onto balls and beat defenders with his pace?

Probably not

Would you tell price or Coady they have to sit in the hole disrupt the oppositions offence and retain possession? I would personally. And yes touch tackle as you say but that's still the same job.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No because if you ever watched Claude makelele or however you spell his name, Roy Keane, Matic, Patrick Vieira or even George Thorne (I think his first name is George that could be wrong) they had many more abilities than just winning the ball back.

A defensive midfielders job isn't just to win the ball back and the players I listed above had slightly different ways to do their job. The difference is from what you said Owen and Crouch had hugely different ways of playing where as those defensive midfielders had slight differences but did the same job.

Would you tell Owen he had to win headers and hold up play? Would you tell Crouch he had to run onto balls and beat defenders with his pace?

Probably not

Would you tell price or Coady they have to sit in the hole disrupt the oppositions offence and retain possession? I would personally. And yes touch tackle as you say but that's still the same job.

You have just argued for my point. They both do a defensive job in different ways. Owen and Crouch both go out to score goals, in different ways. They both go out to score goals and help the team score goals in different ways, like Price and Coady go out to help the defense and start attacks in different ways.

A

AlexWWFC

You have just argued for my point. They both do a defensive job in different ways. Owen and Crouch both go out to score goals, in different ways. They both go out to score goals and help the team score goals in different ways, like Price and Coady go out to help the defense and start attacks in different ways.

No they don't there is a huge difference, Coady and Price are the same player, Owen and Crouch were completely different players, tell me the difference between the players listed above?

It's really easy to tell the difference between Crouch and Owen but it's really difficult to tell the difference between Price and Coady or maybe I just can't spot it

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No they don't there is a huge difference, Coady and Price are the same player, Owen and Crouch were completely different players, tell me the difference between the players listed above?

It's really easy to tell the difference between Crouch and Owen but it's really difficult to tell the difference between Price and Coady or maybe I just can't spot it

I already have.

Price:

Reads the game well, picks up loose balls, simple passes, stays deep, clean tackler, great positioning, ahead of the game, covers players.

Coady, Aggression, presence, headers, chases players, hits longer harder passes, likes to get more forward more, can hit a long shot and isn't scared to. Hard tackler, shows passion.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I already have.

Price:

Reads the game well, picks up loose balls, simple passes, stays deep, clean tackler, great positioning, ahead of the game, covers players.

Coady, Aggression, presence, headers, chases players, hits longer harder passes, likes to get more forward more, can hit a long shot and isn't scared to. Hard tackler, shows passion.

Coady is $$$$ing rubbish. You missed that off your list pal.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady is $$$$ing rubbish. You missed that off your list pal.

I think when a play has so much, aggression, energy, enthusiasm. You shouldn't try and get him to play with so little freedom. Jackett teams, (Bar Sako) are very organised and lack freedom. I think that's his problem. Get him in a 451. press teams and he will have a lot of fun, energies the team and the fans.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think when a play has so much, aggression, energy, enthusiasm. You shouldn't try and get him to play with so little freedom. Jackett teams, (Bar Sako) are very organised and lack freedom. I think that's his problem. Get him in a 451. press teams and he will have a lot of fun, energies the team and the fans.

I just think he always looks so lethargic. I havn't seen anything of what you mention. Price and Mcdonald in a proper 442 is what we need, 2 wingers stretching play giving the 2 in the middle freedom to do their thing. Coady is just the wrong player in my opinion. I don't see what anyone sees in him.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have tried to get Gued back in the summer.

D

Deleted member 3545

last time wolves had a decent center midfield partnership was Ince and Rae

M

Mr Wolf

Edwards in the hole was the exact player we were missing last night by the way.

D

Deleted member 4436

I disagree with a lot of what you say Dan typically, but you're spot on with the above.

Regimental Kenny.

Not one of our Midfielders at the moment has the ability to play touch football and move into space. Such an immobile group of players.

Coady is definitely a player who can set the tone of the game with his energy. I'm yet to see much more in terms of passing, but I'll put that down to our abysmal ability to distribute the ball out of the defence with the appalling Batth & Hause.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is the young lad at Celtic who scored a lot of goals in League 1 for Notts County available I wonder? Might be worth a punt, looked excellent albeit in League 1 a few years ago.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our central midfield trio of McDonald, Price and Afobe. Another master stroke by old Ken.

Denpar

Groupie
Reaction score
OK, I'm happy to be shot down in flames and open to ridicule, but for a long time now I've had this vision of Iorfa playing just in front of the back four. He's an athlete with pretty quick feet who would not only have the ability to break up play but can induce panic into the opposing defence because of his speed when he bursts forward.

I know his final ball can let him down and his performances in the last couple of games haven't done him any favours but is this idea as far fetched as even I think it might be, or can anyone see where I'm coming from?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
OK, I'm happy to be shot down in flames and open to ridicule, but for a long time now I've had this vision of Iorfa playing just in front of the back four. He's an athlete with pretty quick feet who would not only have the ability to break up play but can induce panic into the opposing defence because of his speed when he bursts forward.

I know his final ball can let him down and his performances in the last couple of games haven't done him any favours but is this idea as far fetched as even I think it might be, or can anyone see where I'm coming from?

yes I can see the rampaging runs forward with the ball scaring the life out of the opposition. whether he has the awareness for the role i don't know.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Since steam-rolling our way to the Third Division title, the last three transfer windows has seen our midfield choices evolve to this:

Edwards, Henry, McDonald, Price, Wallace, Coady, Van La Parra, Ojo, Byrne, Saville, Evans, Rowe, Graham, Ismail. (c£4m spend)

We have failed to move up that notch to buy one or two top Championship midfielders and have accrued a number of low cost/free average 3rd/4th Div players, in fact the first choice midfield has gone backwards.

Any wonder why we'll be treading water this year at best.

D

Deleted member 4436

We do not miss Dave Edwards.

We miss not having a natural no.10 who can go past a man. Dave Edwards is not the answer. Is there any danger, that of the million midfielders we've signed over the last few windows, that one of them may have the ability to break forward with the ball?

The closest we've got is Wallace. Why can't we afford him the amount of time a liability like James Henry gets?

Back
Top Bottom