Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Celtic Vigo Home

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My observations, great to be back.
We played ****e first half good second half. Can anyone shed any light on why our penalty was over turned? (Sorry if already discussed)
Not many wearing facemasks in southbank concourse, could count on one hand who was wearing them. What was rest of the ground like in concourse.
Loads of fans ****ed up in southbank fair enough but come on lads get practicing you light weights :laughing:
On to Leicester, we need to be more clinical and could've scored a few today. MGW looked good aswel did Neves and Cutone is a right grafter.

Up the ****ing Wolves

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played ****e first half good second half. Can anyone shed any light on why our penalty was over turned? (Sorry if already discussed)
Not many wearing facemasks in southbank concourse, could count on one hand who was wearing them. What was rest of the ground like in concourse.
Loads of fans ****ed up in southbank fair enough but come on lads get practicing you light weights :laughing:
On to Leicester, we need to be more clinical and could've scored a few today. MGW looked good aswel did Neves and Cutone is a right grafter.

Up the ****ing Wolves

Was the ref John Moss…****e!
he signalled - for a push

TifosodiCutrone

Reaction score
Well yeah, if you play two instead of one thats almost inevitable. Don't think its allowed though. The ref might notice.

I apologize. Maybe I did not say it clear enough. I meant the competitive commitment put in place individually by the two players. After that my hope is that Cutrone will find another team. From the point of view of effectiveness offensive I flank Silva to Jimenez.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I apologize. Maybe I did not say it clear enough. I meant the competitive commitment put in place individually by the two players. After that my hope is that Cutrone will find another team. From the point of view of effectiveness offensive I flank Silva to Jimenez.
No, my fault. I try to keep it in check, but every once in a while a little facetiousness escapes.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Up the ****ing Wolves
agreed fantastic to be back - quite a few on the concourse in the Steve bull in masks I carried mine with me but never wore it - no one was enforcing it

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess in one sense we were average. "Average" like having one hand in hot water and the other in cold averages out to being warm.

First half exemplified Nunoball last season: slow build-up, nobody in the box, overrun in midfield, etc etc.

Second half we pressed, played with a decent tempo, good width, attacked and defended as a team - no, we didn't score but we did everything but.

So, "average" overall, but if you ever wanted to see a match that demonstrated it's a game of two halves, this would be a good one.
Cheers mate! That's really helpful. I was hoping this year we'd stop the poor one half great the other trend, but it seems it'll carry on!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half it was pretty much the same as last year, second half was excellent In patches. Quicker play, better, more incisive passing. Neves breaking into the box and seemingly swapping positions with Dendonker, if one went forward the other dropped off. Celta Vigo scored from a penalty, can’t remember a save from Ruddy or Sa apart from that. We had some great chances second half and their keeper saved them.

Pains me to say, as I love him, but we looked much better when Moutinho wasn’t partnering Neves.

Lage doing his nut on the sideline wanting, quicker football, runners, us to get forward and spreading the play - looked an unhappy man at the end of the second half. Plus points today for me were Marcal although Ait Nouri was good when he came on, Hoever who looked really good going forward, Neves who was excellent, and Gibbs White looks a different player this year - really positive. Silva looks, bigger and quicker and Raul was back to himself. Traore was up for it and was only denied by a very good save. Sa looked confident without ever being tested.

Trincao, had some nice touches but didn’t have that much influence, as for the penalty it was a 50/50 - not sure why Saiss felt he needed to make that tackle in the position that their forward was in.

Overall, I’m not sure how we will do against Leicester, if we play like we did first half I don't have much hope, second half we have a chance.
Thanks for that summary! So I'm guessing Moutinho didn't play the 2nd half? From the other games I've watched this pre season I've been impressed with MGW too, but I've also been pretty disappointed with Trincao (not that he's been awful, but he just hasn't been too involved). I'm glad to hear Neves has been excellent again today. The past couple of games he's been great and a true leader. Let's hope Spiers was right about us not selling - and the Mir money hopefully confirms that.

It's possible that we'll have 0 points out of the first 3 games, so if we get anywhere between 3 and 9 I'll be happy.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible first half, fantastic 2nd half. People annoyed at transfers and ticket prices are ignoring positives to suit their agenda
This is the way I see it too

Puzzled that so many have called us out as relegation candidates after the second half performance, especially with players to come back and likely new signings

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On plus side: Trincao starting to show a bit of class. Hoever looking good; Neves pure class in second half. Sa looking solid.
Still have Boly, Neto, Podence, Mosquera to come into the mix and Semedo was out also.
Some good attacking play in first 20 minutes or so of second half with Celta Vigo swept back at last. Ait-Nouri even if on for a short time showed spark we need in attack. Kilman looking solid and skilful.

On negative side: We were thoroughly outplayed throughout the first half with CV passing brilliantly and forcing us to chase shadows much of the time. Our set plays/corners never look like they will produce anything. Jiminez still understandably rusty and too often isolated - where is our Jota?; Moutinho and Neves were swamped in midfield in first half. We know we desperately need a dynamic central midfielder. Time to get one in once and for all. Dendoncker offered a bit of steel in second half but we need someone of class to dovetail with Neves. Looked very exposed on wings particularly in first half with wing backs committed forward. A few rash tackles from Saiss but he was unlucky with penalty and previously had won a brilliant last ditch tackle. Still give the ball away too much for a top class team and the effort was not there in first half. A new striker and central midfielder desperately needed. If Mosquera comes good and Boly can stay fit a new CB not so important. Kilman is developing very nicely. As always Adama always threatening but we don't get him into the game enough which is so stupid when you have an asset like that which the opposition are always fearful of.

Leicester coming up and we are a long way off as yet as a team. When Podence and Neto are back we have some enviable options but Jiminez needs a striker partner to complement him and quickly. Add a quality central midfield attacker and we are in business.

Celta Vigo, like the other Spanish teams we have played, were very good technically and organisationally. A lot we could learn from them in terms of triangular passing movements and piercing through balls. If they had a quality striker or two they woud be top 4 not 8th in La Liga and would have been 3-0 up at half time.

It is going to be a roller coaster season. We still can't score enough goals, our central midfield too easily out muscled and not creative enough (bar Neves). Our defence average at best without Boly dominating in the air. 13th or 14th based on current evidence.
Thanks for the write up.

If we start this season conceding more sloppy goals, it doesn't matter how devastating our attacking play is!

There's a case to be made that every single goal conceded in pre season has been from a defensive error.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the difference being that we're now actually creating opportunities and getting bodies in the box

9 times out of 10 Raul would have had two today. Probably rustiness on his part but it will come
We also left the back door open a few times. We need to be clinical or we will get destroyed on the break.

Sutton

Reaction score
Bring Boly and Mosquera into that back three and we do not get cut through so many times like in the first half. Mosq in particular has the speed to get back ahead of the player from those type of runs and through balls. He would not have needed to make that Saiss tackle.

Worried if we start that back three against Leicester.

Second half was good. Great level of intensity to win the ball back and a good high press that forced mistakes. I think the Lage style will suit playing towards the South Bank and there will be a few teams we will score a few against playing like that.

Overall just great to be back….

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...absolutely gutted by this result, despite the performance (wanted to chat about it in real time, but couldn't as the Mods have lepered me. Unfortunately all of my chat is unlikely to be in real-Time for the forseeable.

Considering the number of changes that have been made to the playing and non-playing staff in a short amount of time, i still see positives in a more attacking style of play. Hamstring inujry aside, the arrival of Yerson is a real pre-season bonus.

I honestly couldn't see this loss coming as on paper thought we're at least good enough for a draw. Still super hyped about the new season, though, and by the time of the Man Utd game, things should hopefully be starting to gel and looking a lot more solid.....Onwards and upwards.

Never surrender! Good luck to the team for the forthcoming season!

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You could see what Bruno is trying to do. A few times today he was shouting at players for passing it sideways or backwards. Having a ball winner in next to Neves will give him a new lease of life, he looked much keaner to get forward than last few seasons. Probably a mobile centre back and a goalscoring AM away from a squad that can do justice to Bruno's ideas.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is all about performance at this stage, not results. Similar in those first 3 league matches coming up. If we can repeat our second half performance level in the first 3 league matches, I won't be bothered if we lose them all 1-0. Football being what it is, playing badly and getting 7 points from those first 3, is more concerning in the long run than playing like todays second half and getting 0 points. Because as long as you hold your nerve and don't panic, keep playing like that and the results will come.

Agree with the consensus - Hoever and Neves our stand out players. That's the best I've ever seen Hoever play. Though again, being cautious, expect inconsistency at his age. Can't expect that level every week from him. MGW and Donk are now consistently looking improved from what we got used to with them. Neves appears to be enjoying playing more forward and his game has gone up a notch, too. Unfortunately it shows that we still have problems in defence, mostly related to lack of pace.

I don't blame Saiss individually for the penalty. At that stage Celta were strolling through our midfield regularly, so if it wasn't that moment, they'd have scored from another. Saiss had already saved us once from an almost identical ball through a couple of minutes before. It was all too "last ditch tackle" from us at that point, you have to be lucky to ride that out. I think the Celta player totally played for the penalty, too. The only way we were going to avoid that happening would be to politely stand away from them and ask them to take unchallenged shots all match. You have to stop those situations developing, further up the field.

The problem was the non-existant midfield. Not sure exactly why, but Moutinho was not on it and Neves mostly invisible in the first half. The whole team looked a yard slower in both body and mind. I'm not even sure Bruno did any tactical change at half time, just gave them a stern telling off! Told them that if they don't buck up, they won't be sold to Spurs? :p Anyway, the tempo and movement went up. More off the ball movement than we've shown for ages..since before lockdown.

So in the end, a first half that looked remarkably similar to first halves last season, was followed by one of the best halves we've produced in 18 months and as I'm said, not bothered by the result, but do need to play *both* halves at that second half tempo. And CV were really cynical, like Villa but even worse.

Andi130

Reaction score
You can see were struggling to adjust from Nuno's approach of keep it tight in the first, and be brave in the second. Still think Mouts looks past his best, but we improved with the Donk in the middle next to Neves 2nd half. Saiss, as much as I love him, is still our weakest link in defence. Wish we would stick him back in the middle of the park, rather than persist with his CB role. I know we need better, but you can never fault his effort. Max, excellent. Marcal, best I've seen of him play for us. Hoover, great 70 mins, but got a bit tired towards the end. Really impressed with the front 3 though. Movement and was excellent and Raul look like his old self.

I don't think we're a million miles away. Celta are no mugs either.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can see were struggling to adjust from Nuno's approach of keep it tight in the first, and be brave in the second. Still think Mouts looks past his best, but we improved with the Donk in the middle next to Neves 2nd half. Saiss, as much as I love him, is still our weakest link in defence. Wish we would stick him back in the middle of the park, rather than persist with his CB role. I know we need better, but you can never fault his effort. Max, excellent. Marcal, best I've seen of him play for us. Hoover, great 70 mins, but got a bit tired towards the end. Really impressed with the front 3 though. Movement and was excellent and Raul look like his old self.

I don't think we're a million miles away. Celta are no mugs either.
Bang on about the Nuno comment. I love the bloke and it’s probably a great credit to him saying this but they’ve been so well drilled that there were passages when we had the ball and just looked to play risk free and sideways just to keep the ball. It’s been ingrained in them and it’s no bad thing but it shows we needs 3 new players in that starting 11 just for a change of mentality as much as anything.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is all about performance at this stage, not results. Similar in those first 3 league matches coming up. If we can repeat our second half performance level in the first 3 league matches, I won't be bothered if we lose them all 1-0. Football being what it is, playing badly and getting 7 points from those first 3, is more concerning in the long run than playing like todays second half and getting 0 points. Because as long as you hold your nerve and don't panic, keep playing like that and the results will come.

Agree with the consensus - Hoever and Neves our stand out players. That's the best I've ever seen Hoever play. Though again, being cautious, expect inconsistency at his age. Can't expect that level every week from him. MGW and Donk are now consistently looking improved from what we got used to with them. Neves appears to be enjoying playing more forward and his game has gone up a notch, too. Unfortunately it shows that we still have problems in defence, mostly related to lack of pace.

I don't blame Saiss individually for the penalty. At that stage Celta were strolling through our midfield regularly, so if it wasn't that moment, they'd have scored from another. Saiss had already saved us once from an almost identical ball through a couple of minutes before. It was all too "last ditch tackle" from us at that point, you have to be lucky to ride that out. I think the Celta player totally played for the penalty, too. The only way we were going to avoid that happening would be to politely stand away from them and ask them to take unchallenged shots all match. You have to stop those situations developing, further up the field.

The problem was the non-existant midfield. Not sure exactly why, but Moutinho was not on it and Neves mostly invisible in the first half. The whole team looked a yard slower in both body and mind. I'm not even sure Bruno did any tactical change at half time, just gave them a stern telling off! Told them that if they don't buck up, they won't be sold to Spurs? :p Anyway, the tempo and movement went up. More off the ball movement than we've shown for ages..since before lockdown.

So in the end, a first half that looked remarkably similar to first halves last season, was followed by one of the best halves we've produced in 18 months and as I'm said, not bothered by the result, but do need to play *both* halves at that second half tempo. And CV were really cynical, like Villa but even worse.
Good write up, Neves 2nd half and Hoever most of the game definitely stand-outs.
I’m going to give Traore a shout out as well, because I clearly saw on at least 2 occasions he was trying to run in behind, as in properly eyeballing the man on the ball and trying to time a devastating run off his man.
Got in once, called offside which I’m not convinced of in the other.
It’s still obviously not natural to him, but he is definitely making an effort to utilise his pace in the most dangerous way. He was also hindered by some of the worst refereeing and play-acting I’ve ever seen.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wouldn’t say that unless he was pretty confident of getting them.

Bruno is probably wise enough to know he wont be here much past November with the current squad, so what does he have to lose? Fosun better back him, any half-***** attempt will result in failure IMO.

Wolf In Essex

Reaction score
Just got home, First half probably left alone.
Defence got caught out too many times and Neves just wasn't in the game.

Second half a lot better, Neves seemed to have a lot more freedom with Dendoncker beside him and thought he had a good half.
You could almost see what they are working on come together in spells, fingers crossed.

Thought Hoever had a great game.
Would like to see Marcal at left CB and Ait Nouri LWB, he looked lively again when he come on, although Marcal was no slouch either.

MGW looked liveley again.

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could see what Lage was trying to do in the first half as there were a few attempts at passes through the lines etc but we looked devoid of confidence and energy and ended up playing a similar style as last season.

It must have been one hell of an ear pounding at half time because the second half performance was night and day. I hope we can play like that for 90 plus minutes in every game in future, but we will need the 3-4 signings Lage has talked about, plus the guys coming back from injury, as we will need a bigger squad to handle the pace of the game he is trying to play.

Given our fit personnel, the competence of our defence, and the need to get an extra midfielder in to help manage the game and have one midfielder to help out defensively, and someone to get forward to support, I would still play 3-5-2.

Positives - Neves second half, let’s hope we keep him and he plays like that all the time. Hoever, his best game for us, Traore, Coady, Trincao looks to be gaining confidence, MGW and Dendonker both improved and Kilman looked comfortable too. The number of attempts on goal in the second half.
Negatives - the whole first half was too reminiscent of last season, Saiss was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Overall, 3 at the back suits us and there were positive signs.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Excellent post this. The First Half was just like 2020/2021, although I thought we came forward well within the opening 45.

The penalty looked soft and Saiss did his job firmly this afternoon despite it.

2nd half was much more what we want and we were unlucky not to stick one in!

Marcal, Ruben, Morgan and Raul are my standouts and a MOTM has to be Neves - with him being able to now shift forward much more and he used that to excellent effect.

Still at least one CB needed, along with a CM and perhaps an experienced Striker for depth, to give us a balanced squad and if those can come in - along with the second 45 being repeated, we should be just fine!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on about the Nuno comment. I love the bloke and it’s probably a great credit to him saying this but they’ve been so well drilled that there were passages when we had the ball and just looked to play risk free and sideways just to keep the ball. It’s been ingrained in them and it’s no bad thing but it shows we needs 3 new players in that starting 11 just for a change of mentality as much as anything.
This is Bruno's biggest challenge; getting the team to change their mentality as well as the skills and fitness required to play at a higher more attacking tempo.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
If this was our league form, people would be calling for Bruno’s head already. I know it’s pre-season but it’s concerning how we keep losing abs have only scored a few goals.

Hopefully when the season starts, the players are sharp and we start scoring or it’s going to be a LOOOONG season and we’ll see the back of Lage sooner rather than later.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He pointed but I’m not sure he pointed at the spot, more where he thought there had been a foul. Clearly, to Neves, afterwards he made a pushing motion.
He did point at the spot. Even the players lined up for penalty. Signal was either that or a goal kick. A free kick for a push would be a point other way. I'm confused. Any road , doesn't really matter just another **** ref.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half was as poor as anything we dredged up last season - nobody would have guessed they had a pre-season drilling a new style of play. Vigo were far sharper, and much more incisive, without even looking like they got out of second gear. Dare I say it there were chilling echoes of Solbakken's games around Christmas when we lost the plot completely, we were so disjointed. Saiss was reckless, Moutinho anonymous, Neves constrained... everything had a very familiar sense to it.

Second half was a massive improvement from the get go - there were still some idiotic moments, notably from Dendoncker, who took the ball off Traore, then when trying to give it back just passed it straight to a Vigo player which left us open to a counter attack that, against better, sharper teams would have been punished, but we threatened a fair bit and deserved a draw. A shaper Raul would have scored twice, hitting the post from an acute angle and narrowly missing an instinctive volley with the goal gaping, and Trincao, whilst lightweight, had his tail up in the second half- the team seemed under strict instruction to give the ball to him as much as possible, and he produced one touch almost on the touchline playing a first time rabona that almost came off that had the crowd gasping, showing the class is undoubtedly there. Neves, Hoever and Traore all came alive in the second period and reminded us there are decent players in there, and it's not necessarily all doom and gloom.

Good to hear Bruno's stance on reinforcements - I concur that he will need a few key additions to successfully transition the squad, embed his ideas and freshen up the palette.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. It is a challenge.

Just hope the supporters - on and off the Mix - give him the time to do this.
Of course. I’ll moan and whinge when we play badly and get hammered at times but the bigger picture is how we transform as a team. However, it will be difficult if we are in a precarious position around November/December.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for that summary! So I'm guessing Moutinho didn't play the 2nd half? From the other games I've watched this pre season I've been impressed with MGW too, but I've also been pretty disappointed with Trincao (not that he's been awful, but he just hasn't been too involved). I'm glad to hear Neves has been excellent again today. The past couple of games he's been great and a true leader. Let's hope Spiers was right about us not selling - and the Mir money hopefully confirms that.

It's possible that we'll have 0 points out of the first 3 games, so if we get anywhere between 3 and 9 I'll be happy.
I thought Trincao was much better today than the previous games and was making things happen

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyable day out at the Mol. The M6 roadworks tried their best to stop us making the game on time, but we made it to our seats moments after kick off.

First half was memorable mainly for that fat slow excuse for a referee. Sat in the middle of the BW Upper surrounded by families, I had to bite my tongue. The penalty was comical. Contact, yes it looked like there was. Looking for a penalty? Oh yes, the giveaway being the CV player going down, looking over to see if he had won a penalty, and when it appeared not, he started to roll around like he’d been shot at close range. I doubt the fat ******* in the black has read the new guidance on penalties, but if he has, could someone provide a picture book version he can understand? His performance of giving in to CV player protests was capped by his non-penalty for us after being surrounded by a pack of CV players.

Ref aside, it was an enjoyable game and nice to see live and not just via Wolves TV. As others have commented, we were much better second half, and CV didn’t get a sniff. Unlucky to lose overall. Neves and Donk a much better pairing in midfield, with Neves looking very sharp second half playing further forward. Trincao looked much more assured today, with good link up play, a lot of hunger to get forward, and some lovely touches. He could become another Neto as his game develops. Traore continued in his great preseason form. I am liking Sa in goal, commanding his box and showing good distribution. Hoever had a good game but would also choose Semedo to start if available. Marcal continues to look very well suited to this team if he can stay fit. MGW has had a really good preseason and just looks a more mature player than 12 months ago. Cutrone and Silva both fine again, but I continue to be amazed by how close Raul is to his old self. We really, really missed him!

Finally, just a word for the fans. So nice to be back and in good voice. UTW

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the first of the pre-season games I have paid to watch, so only that and highlights to go on but, I thought we were flat and slow at the back, they passed it through or around us with ease.
We tried to play a high line, with more pressing and some quick one-two passing, but created nothing.
Saiss made a poor challenge for their penalty we were easily second best.
Half-time and it all changed. More energy, won 50-50's and spent the whole game in their half.
Trincao had some nice touches, Traore passed and moved!!!, and Neves looked best player on the pitch.
Silva and Cutrone came on but never looked like scoring. We created loads but were not ruthless enough. We battered them but couldn't score.
With one week it is obvious that we need to find a quick, strong centre back. If not, we are in trouble. So nice to see fans back in the ground though.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

When they lapsed into that pattern Bruno was *******ing them and telling them to move it upfield. I think it will take him a while to change 4 years worth of habits though. Few new signings would help.

Aside from the better football in the second half, my favourite bit was Tony Roberts basically offering on the CV manager. Quite rightly, they were a right load of cheating ****ers.

Back
Top Bottom