Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Castore kits

Reaction score
The ongoing problem with Castore is online sales, long delays in delivery, out of stock items and non existent customer service which has been a problem since their first big contract with Rangers. Villa have had loads of complaints from fans as have McClaren F1 and the England and Wales Cricket board, wouldn't surprise me if its the same with Newcastle. Reflects badly on the club so I can understand why Villa have ditched them.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now, im not clued up on this stuff. But arent we worse off if we DONT get a brand ?

Either way im happy Castore are going, never really like their stuff in terms of design and template etc. for quality theyre good
Pros and cons. Pros is we get to keep 100% of the sales as opposed to earning a percentage of each shirt. Cons is obviously no upfront deal and no distribution deal (for instance when we had Adidas I went into a store in Las Vegas and they were selling our shirt) plus you don’t attract the fashion fan who just buy random shirts because of the manufacture, my lad goes mad for any foreign Nike shirt for instance.

Personally think own branding looks a bit tin pot and something you’d see in the lower leagues

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, all to do with Vinny's new company. They will be doing all of the merch next year.

Makes sense I guess. In reality companies like Castore, don’t create their technical products from scratch, but I assume select materials and supplies to meet technical requirements, and employ designers to create templates for shirts, etc. Their brand may have some market value and ready distribution network, but that comes at a cost to sports clubs like Wolves. Hence in the Castore deal, we moved part way down the path of bringing this in house by taking over the replica manufacturing and distribution. I guess through Levy we will be taking the next step. I presume this would mean it’s only a Wolves brand on all the shirts, somewhat like own brand products in supermarkets. Levy would facilitate behind the scenes in the design, manufacturing and distribution, but they wouldn’t be visible as a brand on the products.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pros and cons. Pros is we get to keep 100% of the sales as opposed to earning a percentage of each shirt. Cons is obviously no upfront deal and no distribution deal (for instance when we had Adidas I went into a store in Las Vegas and they were selling our shirt) plus you don’t attract the fashion fan who just buy random shirts because of the manufacture, my lad goes mad for any foreign Nike shirt for instance.

Personally think own branding looks a bit tin pot and something you’d see in the lower leagues

I agree, but on your last point, I think it depends heavily on how strong your own brand is. Unlike most clubs we do seem to have been pushing Wolves as a brand in its own right, so this is a logical step.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but on your last point, I think it depends heavily on how strong your own brand is. Unlike most clubs we do seem to have been pushing Wolves as a brand in its own right, so this is a logical step.
I’ve two teenagers if it’s a call between Nike/Adidas or some own brand merch they’d take the former all day long. Look how many shirts PSG have sold as it was the first one to have the Jordan logo on it.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes sense I guess. In reality companies like Castore, don’t create their technical products from scratch, but I assume select materials and supplies to meet technical requirements, and employ designers to create templates for shirts, etc. Their brand may have some market value and ready distribution network, but that comes at a cost to sports clubs like Wolves. Hence in the Castore deal, we moved part way down the path of bringing this in house by taking over the replica manufacturing and distribution. I guess through Levy we will be taking the next step. I presume this would mean it’s only a Wolves brand on all the shirts, somewhat like own brand products in supermarkets. Levy would facilitate behind the scenes in the design, manufacturing and distribution, but they wouldn’t be visible as a brand on the products.

My contact said Levy had taken on 3 (Vinny +2others) people to head up this side of the operation, said they already do it for Everton?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Castore training/ travel gear has been some of the highest quality stuff we’ve had in years.

Not been a fan of the majority of the kits, although that’s just been based on design. I have liked this seasons home and blue shirt, of which both I’ve purchased this year.

If we are changing I’d like to see us go for Umbro, or Hummel.

Adidas is a brand I love, Adidas Originals that is, but can’t see us going back to them, and Nike will just give us a run of the mill template in genetic ‘orange’ I fear.

Macron would be a shocking move. Screams Sunday league/ pub team.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard a rumour we are ditching it as well and going in house again

It's madness if you're owned by a Chinese conglomerate not to use a direct Chinese supply chain for merchandise. They could almost make their own label, sell the merchandise, and take all the proceeds from direct profit cutting out the middleman.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember going to a strip bar in Newcastle once and the strippers were painted in the Newcastle home strip. Was bizarre watching the local chaps ogling the painted strip more than the women.

Surely it would solve the problem of the lack of a beer belly top and complaints over true sizing that fits the various portly figures..
Simply turn up on matchday and get yourself painted old gold and black.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
The ongoing problem with Castore is online sales, long delays in delivery, out of stock items and non existent customer service which has been a problem since their first big contract with Rangers. Villa have had loads of complaints from fans as have McClaren F1 and the England and Wales Cricket board, wouldn't surprise me if its the same with Newcastle. Reflects badly on the club so I can understand why Villa have ditched them.
Just want to highlight your excellent use of England and Wales Cricket Board!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate our previous attempts at ‘own brand’

However I could handle it if we ditched the ‘brand’ logo altogether and ONLY had a wolves badge - now we’re talking

Next: do the same with away kit but just three leaping wolves

Have noticed a few clubs mix the badge up on away shirts recently. Arsenal and Everton are two that come to mind.

Would certainly never advocate dropping our current badge, it’s probably the most iconic in the league, but to have a nod to previous classic badges on the change kits is a good shout.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
Have noticed a few clubs mix the badge up on away shirts recently. Arsenal and Everton are two that come to mind.

Would certainly never advocate dropping our current badge, it’s probably the most iconic in the league, but to have a nod to previous classic badges on the change kits is a good shout.
I’d love to see a black away shirt with just the gold wolfhead (no hexagon) - inspired by the old ‘79/‘80 Umbro tracksuits.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
My contact said Levy had taken on 3 (Vinny +2others) people to head up this side of the operation, said they already do it for Everton?
Everton + Hummel.

Hummel pitched in the previous go-around (concept kit did the rounds).

Levy could be an intermediary for Hummel seems it’s an overseas brand.

Loved Hummel kits as a kid of the late ‘80s. The current Southampton nod to theirs is a thing of beauty (apart from the sponsor).

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton + Hummel.

Hummel pitched in the previous go-around (concept kit did the rounds).

Levy could be an intermediary for Hummel seems it’s an overseas brand.

Loved Hummel kits as a kid of the late ‘80s. The current Southampton nod to theirs is a thing of beauty (apart from the sponsor).
Yeah Hummel would have to partner with someone again. The current provider in the UK for Hummel kits (elite sporting goods) went into administration last year and caused absolute mayhem with supplying kits to clubs.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
Recently bought 2 coats n jackets in the 50% off sale, very impressed, the coat is good quality IMO, But I wouldn't have paid £65 for them

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
there‘s a podcast called the Business of Sport, there most recent release is an interview with one of the 2 brothers who set up Castore, it’s an interesting listen, not sure their business model and what they pitch as their difference will last for long because Clubs will simply do it themselves

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit late to the party but who is Vinny and what’s the new company?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I absolutely love Castore - the waterproof hoodies are fantastic.

I got the black non-wolves one. Just need to lose some weight to fit back into the damn thing....they are very body hugging but top notch materials.

The thing about all these football kits and clothing merchandise, is that the industry is indescribably different from 15 years ago due to new techology in materials, and the use of blinding technology in ordering and supplying. I ordered a hat from China......it was despatched within 30 minutes and I could track the damn thing by road on the individual lorry carrying it across South-West China to Shenzen where it was put onto DHL. Customs clearance in Sydney was dealt with before it left China...it sailed through and got here in 2 days from some industrial city i'd never heard of.

Any no-name company in China can now make a football shirt as good as anything from Adidas, Castore or Nike....in some cases they can make them better quality and far cheaper than the originals, because the originals have a huge markup in price to cover the cost of having Adidas or Nike's name on it.
The days of ****ty fakes has gone. There are now companies who authenticate original merchandise, whether it be a Fendi handbag, a Versace diamond-encrusted hat, or a pair of shoes. This is because the fake is indistinguishable from the original and it takes scientific tests to prove or disprove authenticity....and some people pay $10,000 for a bag and treat them like you'd treat an investment into artwork, so they need to know whether they are original or not.
They may have paid $10,000 for a bag that actually has real diamonds in it, but because its not original it's only worth about $3000.
So football shirts are no problem for anyone.

My brothers wife sent me a little rucksack from China for Christmas....from a brand called TUMI which i'd never heard of. It's incredibly well-made for a bag i will put my sandwiches in :) . When i looked it up it retails for nearly $1000 and she told me it was original. It's not, because she would not pay $1000, and also because every bag has an individual number engraved onto a metal tag hidden inside that you can authenticate for origin on the TUMI website, and that's also on your guarantee.
Mine doesn't have a number on it, but the amazing thing is that it has the blank thick metal tag welded into the lining inside where nobody can see it...who would go to so much trouble for a fake? It's either a perfect copy, or it's an original that came out the back door of the factory.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there‘s a podcast called the Business of Sport, there most recent release is an interview with one of the 2 brothers who set up Castore, it’s an interesting listen, not sure their business model and what they pitch as their difference will last for long because Clubs will simply do it themselves

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves went direct manufacturing and made their own name stuff at top quality....times are changing fast.
It's quite ironic......China is going mad for luxury items and all these Euro companies are cleaning up on Chinese stars as global ambassadors as they take huge amounts of business from Europe and America....although the clothes are mostly made in China anyway.

This girl makes dramas that can get 300 million Chinese views in a week from a 1.4 billion population and about 2 billion if you count all of Asia, the marketing value for Versace is enormous, as big as Europe and the USA together.

At the same time, the rest of us are buying Chinese no-name stuff because we've been through the fashion crazes and realised a lot of it is complete marketing ****** for overpriced tat....we've had this market since the 1980's and went through the same fashion addictions. All it means is that Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell are now Chinese.
Castore have done a good deal in showing that you can get quality from a start-up.
They didn't invent the materials...you can get that stuff everywhere now, but they used them and marketed them well. No different to original North Face, Under Armour or bloody Greg Norman's sweat-free sun-blocking golf shirts...but those materials you can now get in cheap clothing in supermarkets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom