Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Calling all Wolves fans

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a journalism student currently working on a set of features regarding the issue of "money in football". One feature will be surrounding follow a fan; whereby I get information about how much a fan spends on his/her team (anything ranging from food, drinks, programmes, club merchandise, etc).

I was wondering if it was possible to talk to any Wolves fan on here about this?

I don't know if I have posted this in the correct area or not, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested could you please respond back to this message or message me (if that is possible).

Thanks a bunch. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you posted some questions, I'm sure most of us would be more than happy to answer them for you on the thread :).

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers.

Ok well the first question would be how much money do you spend and what do you spend it on before going to a home game.

So things like tickets, drink, food, match day programs, travel, club merchandise and anything else.

And then the second question would be exactly the same but for those who travel to an away game.

So if the questions could be answered with say Villa/Newcastle in mind for the away question and Everton in mind for the home game.

Hope that makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get to any away games, so I can't answer that one.

Home games: I've got a season ticket, so that's prepaid. I think including the price of the entire ticket would be disproportionate to the value; unless somebody knows roughly the £/game ratio for an u17 season ticket? I'll leave that blank

£3 or so on soft drinks outside the ground.

£10 max on food for the journey home.

£4 match day program

Anything from £30-60 train return (London Euston - Wolverhampton), depending on the day that I travel.

I seldom buy club merchandise.

J

Jack

On a typical home game I'll go:

£3 taxi there
Between £25 and £40 in various Wolves pubs on beer and soft drinks for the young lad
£5 on food for the lad if he's lucky
£10.50 half time round
£3 taxi

Newcastle away game

£22 hotel room
£18 contribution to mini-bus
£8 contribution to petrol
Breakfast Sat £5
Beer for mini-bus £5
Beer pre match - £20
Beer at match - £3.50
Beer after match - £50
Fast Food after match - £5
Strip club - £250
Paying extra to get bird back in hotel: £20
Morning after pill for above bird £5
Beer for mini-bus back £5

Hope this helps ;-)

W

Wolfy1994

Cheers.

Ok well the first question would be how much money do you spend and what do you spend it on before going to a home game.

So things like tickets, drink, food, match day programs, travel, club merchandise and anything else.

And then the second question would be exactly the same but for those who travel to an away game.

So if the questions could be answered with say Villa/Newcastle in mind for the away question and Everton in mind for the home game.

Season ticket so I can't really answer for ticket price, £1 pre match bottle of pop, maybe a pint in the pub. £2.50 for food, half time beer, possibly a post-match burger depending on whether or not I had breakfast, £3 for program, and I don't buy merchandies on a regular basis, I get home and away shirts every season though. I hope this was helpful :)

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Jungleee, its a genuine request for help. If you want to give a proper reply I'm sure it would be very welcome, otherwise don't spoil the thread.

D

Dewsburywolf

£3 on the programme
40p (is it?) on the Express & Star
£10 to £15 on a round of drinks in The Hatherton (there's normally 4 or 5 of us)
We also share the driving down so that works out at £50/£55 every fourth game
£3.50 on Tikka & Chips in the take away next door to The Hatherton
Anything up to a grand on away tickets to pick up from the Ticket Office (although admittedly I do get the majority of that back from the Yorkshire Wolves lads)
Only sporadically buy things in the Club Shop these days
I get ALOB on subscription but just thought I'd throw that into the equation (£12 for six copies IIRC)
As stated by others I'm a STH which works out just short of £20 per game

Away games is roughly the same with the price of the ticket fluctuating in price between £20/£45
Travel also depends on location but again it's shared costs with 3 or 4 of the Yorkies
Programme £3/£3.50
Beer & food roughly the same unless it's in London

I'm sure I'll think of other expenditure as the thread fills out

Was always afraid to actually think about how much I spend following the Wolves cos it must amount to well over a grand per season when you weigh it up :eek:

J

Jack

£3 on the programme
40p (is it?) on the Express & Star
£10 to £15 on a round of drinks in The Hatherton (there's normally 4 or 5 of us)
We also share the driving down so that works out at £50/£55 every fourth game
£3.50 on Tikka & Chips in the take away next door to The Hatherton
Anything up to a grand on away tickets to pick up from the Ticket Office (although admittedly I do get the majority of that back from the Yorkshire Wolves lads)
Only sporadically buy things in the Club Shop these days
I get ALOB on subscription but just thought I'd throw that into the equation (£12 for six copies IIRC)
As stated by others I'm a STH which works out just short of £20 per game

Away games is roughly the same with the price of the ticket fluctuating in price between £20/£45
Travel also depends on location but again it's shared costs with 3 or 4 of the Yorkies
Programme £3/£3.50
Beer & food roughly the same unless it's in London

I'm sure I'll think of other expenditure as the thread fills out

Was always afraid to actually think about how much I spend following the Wolves cos it must amount to well over a grand per season when you weigh it up :eek:

£1k, that's a bit of wishful thinking. I'd go closer to £3.5k, but we do enjoy our day outs!

D

Dewsburywolf

Just put this on my Facebook & got responses ranging from "$$$$ knows but it'll go into thousands" to someone saying "oh look let's have a willy measuring contest to show who's the biggest Superfan"

J

Jungleee

Just put this on my Facebook & got responses ranging from "$$$$ knows but it'll go into thousands" to someone saying "oh look let's have a willy measuring contest to show who's the biggest Superfan"

Let me guess -a plastic United fan wrote that comment?

D

Dewsburywolf

Let me guess -a plastic United fan wrote that comment?

Nope although tact & diplomacy prevents me naming names

I've now posted this thread to my Facebook as it was requested to be posted onto TWF so you may be getting some responses on there also Golden Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers.

Home games

Season ticket holder and as I pay for my lad that's £600 or so a year.

Since the early 90s we (me, my mate and his dad) have followed pretty much the same routine. Mate's dad buys the drink outside the ground and then me or my mate buy the drinks/food inside the ground. In the "olden days" I could go up the Wolves with £10 and it would be enough. With the price of pies that has now gone up to £20. It is rare that I come back home with any change. Easily a £1000 a year just going to home matches.

For away games, roughly, it is usually around £100 for tickets and around £50 for travel for 4 of us and I take it in turns with my mate to pay. I reckon I will probably pay for 4 away games and travel a season and go away 6-8 times. £30 minimum spending money (mate's dad still pays for the drinks). £800 to £900 a year for away matches. Taking my lad saves a lot on train fares with a family railcard (for example £288 off peak return for 3 adults to Newcastle becomes £208 for 3 adults a child witha railcard).

There are things I don't do anymore - no more programmes, no more ALOB, no more betting before the game. I used to buy chips before the game, they're gone too.

All in all I can live with £2k a year, it's probably a little less than I thought it was going to be

P

paddy

with cash being tight our spend can range from

home -

petrol to wolvo £5
4 cans asda £5
mr sizzle £2

or if flush / not driving
contribution petrol
4 pints in Combermere £15
chippy £5, then after game
4 pints new inns £8.50 ( Bathams real value for money)

Away - each game very much different with villa being a fraction of the cost of trecking to Newc

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only really go to away games and the odd home game but because I live so far away, the train ticket costs over £30 usually (this weekend the train is costing £46), the £30-£40 on the match ticket. Croissant, coffee and guardian on the train is about £5. pre-match food and drink up to £30. Beers for the train home to drown the sorrows £8, Burger King at York station at 10pm £5.

J

Jack

Home games

Season ticket holder and as I pay for my lad that's £600 or so a year.

Since the early 90s we (me, my mate and his dad) have followed pretty much the same routine. Mate's dad buys the drink outside the ground and then me or my mate buy the drinks/food inside the ground. In the "olden days" I could go up the Wolves with £10 and it would be enough. With the price of pies that has now gone up to £20. It is rare that I come back home with any change. Easily a £1000 a year just going to home matches.

For away games, roughly, it is usually around £100 for tickets and around £50 for travel for 4 of us and I take it in turns with my mate to pay. I reckon I will probably pay for 4 away games and travel a season and go away 6-8 times. £30 minimum spending money (mate's dad still pays for the drinks). £800 to £900 a year for away matches. Taking my lad saves a lot on train fares with a family railcard (for example £288 off peak return for 3 adults to Newcastle becomes £208 for 3 adults a child witha railcard).

There are things I don't do anymore - no more programmes, no more ALOB, no more betting before the game. I used to buy chips before the game, they're gone too.

All in all I can live with £2k a year, it's probably a little less than I thought it was going to be

Family Railcard is a modern mircale. I got three of us and my lad to London for £26.25 return...god bless the card!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Home games

Avge ticket cost (depending on Stand and category)*3 =£90.
Petrol =£30 (approx).
Pre match drinks and meals before reaching the ground (for three) = £40.
Drink at the ground pre match = £10 (approx).
Bets = £10.
Programme £3.
HT refreshments =£6 approx.

$$$$ing hell. Nearly £200.

C

Cowes Wolf

Home game

Match ticket...............£34.00
Bus in to town..............£1.50
Train fare...................£25.00
Pre match beer...........£20.00
Food.........................£10.00
Programme..................£3.00
Post match beer..........£30.00
Busfare home................£1.50
Total......................£125.00

H

haden-wolf

Season Ticket home games an an early bird therefore £390 for that

Matchday - Mr Tikka £4
No beer but a coffee at the ground at I think about £2
Parking £4
Petrol - nowt (other than lots of tax as a benefit) as the cars fully expensed

If my lad comes on one of the other tickets

Costs me chips and a drink outside the ground £3

Match badge/ wolves badge £2/3

buddyrich

Reaction score
Chelsea away last season:

Private jet from Monaco to London City Airport - £10,000
Dinner at Claridges - comped
Company - £2,000
Room at No.1 Aldwych - comped
Massage - £100
Box - Comped
Champagne - £500
Burger - £2.50 - (rip off).

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Chelsea away last season:

Private jet from Monaco to London City Airport - £10,000
Dinner at Claridges - comped
Company - £2,000
Room at No.1 Aldwych - comped
Massage - £100
Box - Comped
Champagne - £500
Burger - £2.50 - (rip off).

You Chelsea fans are all the same - stinking rich.:D

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a journalism student currently working on a set of features regarding the issue of "money in football". One feature will be surrounding follow a fan; whereby I get information about how much a fan spends on his/her team (anything ranging from food, drinks, programmes, club merchandise, etc).

I was wondering if it was possible to talk to any Wolves fan on here about this?

I don't know if I have posted this in the correct area or not, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested could you please respond back to this message or message me (if that is possible).

Can you post your finished work on here please. It will make interesting reading..

CITIZEN ERASED

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hi,

Pretty decent idea for a feature, nice one.

Which paper are you hoping to get it in?

Are you doing the NCTJ course at Wolvo college with Sue and Jeff? Or are you at Wolvo uni?

Good luck with it.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go to about 10 home games each season.

For the Everton game the cost will be;

Bus to airport and return: £7
Flight to Birmingham return: £35
Train to Wolverhampton (return): £4
Match ticket: £39.50
Drinks before game: £15
Food (including pre-match pie): £10
Programme: £3
Drinks after game: £10 - 15 (depending on flight time and result)
A win: priceless :D

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thanks for much the response lads. Been greatly appreciated & really useful.

Hopefully we'll all be celebrating a massive 3 points tomorrow against the Vile.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you post your finished work on here please. It will make interesting reading..

Yeh I'll try & get the work up here once it's done. Bit manic atm being final year and all. Once again appreciate the help.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty decent idea for a feature, nice one.

Which paper are you hoping to get it in?

Are you doing the NCTJ course at Wolvo college with Sue and Jeff? Or are you at Wolvo uni?

Good luck with it.

Cheers. Not too sure what paper if I'm honest. If anything might end up on a website somewhere lol.

Yeh I've done a few NCTJs but I'm at Staffordshire University. So I live up there and travel down for every home game as I have a season ticket.

Thanks once again.

R

reanswolf

£10 - watch in local pubs with loads of other fans now. Or £4 for a few cans to listen at home. Occasional game attended still.

When I used to have ST's (life before kids) cost for me was about £40 beer before during and after match, sometimes upto £60 if we won. £5 on pork baps (one is never enough when you are half $$$$ed), maybe £15 on a ruby if feeling happy afterwards!

Given up on programmes and club food.

Having two kids is reason no longer afford to attend. Daughter is two so cannot take up 4 for £40 yet. Fully intend to buy ST's in new molineux if/when more reasonable new pricing brought in with higher capacity, whatever league we are in.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Singapore

Taxi to and back from pub - £16
Fish and chips - £9
Four pints of Old Speckled Hen - £28 [two each half]
TOTAL: £53

In Saigon [Vietnam]

Motorbike fuel to pub and back - 20p
Fish and chips - £3
Six pints of Tiger Beer - £5
TOTAL: £8-20

One of the reasons I try to get back home at weekends when possible.

Back
Top Bottom