Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Build from the Back

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Solbakken has ever heard of this much loved English footballing phrase??

He could have done a lot worse.......

E

E is for idiot.

I wonder if Solbakken has ever heard of this much loved English footballing phrase??

He could have done a lot worse.......

To be fair, he did try. He just didn't get the players he wanted. No point buying if they aren't any better. If he had got the defensive players he went in for we may be a different proposition!

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he did try. He just didn't get the players he wanted. No point buying if they aren't any better. If he had got the defensive players he went in for we may be a different proposition!

Do you really think with a 22m surplus in the bank from the summer transfer dealings we couldn't find any defenders that were any better than what we've already got??

:confused:

At least we tried though, so full marks to Solbakken, Morgan and Moxey for effort.

E

E is for idiot.

Do you really think with a 22m surplus in the bank from the summer transfer dealings we couldn't find any defenders that were any better than what we've already got??

:confused:

At least we tried though, so full marks to Solbakken, Morgan and Moxey for effort.

I don't think it was couldn't find, more they wouldn't come. You wouldn't swap a $$$$ sandwich for another $$$$ sandwich. You'd wait until there was a BLT available.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Aldershot back 4 would have cost us no more than a million and are a far better "unit" than what we have.

Major mistake not sorting this IMHO.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had this argument on another thread last week but certain posters were saying that midfield is more important. For me, defence comes first, then the rest, you don't build a house from the middle, you build solid foundations and then build upwards. I saw on another thread that Staale used to be the master of 1-0 wins by concentrating on the defence, wouldn't we like to see some of that now?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foley, Mouyokolo, Magreitter and Ward are all capable of building from the back.

J

johnybig32

Didnt he try and fix it? COnstantly? First Demidov, then the Brazilian guy.

He's been linked with defenders throughout the window. He has had a backup lined up at all times.

I still think there is a possibility Oviedo will end up here on loan.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt he try and fix it? COnstantly? First Demidov, then the Brazilian guy.

He's been linked with defenders throughout the window. He has had a backup lined up at all times.

I still think there is a possibility Oviedo will end up here on loan.

Oviedo's gone to Everton has he not? :confused:

F

FLEET WOLF

I had this argument on another thread last week but certain posters were saying that midfield is more important. For me, defence comes first, then the rest, you don't build a house from the middle, you build solid foundations and then build upwards. I saw on another thread that Staale used to be the master of 1-0 wins by concentrating on the defence, wouldn't we like to see some of that now?

You are spot on and Brian Clough always made sure he got his defence right first. I would be entirely happy with some 1-0 wins-I just know now, like last season, that even if we go a goal up, we will always concede.

E

Essex Wolf

Moira Stewart makes a very good comment though and if Stale didn't get in the players he wanted questions needs asking as to why?

Only Margreitter is a defensive addition as far as I know and more were needed.

C

chasman62

Moira Stewart makes a very good comment though and if Stale didn't get in the players he wanted questions needs asking as to why?

It isn't a good comment, it's completely asinine. We lost three of our most 'creative' players and thus it was imperative to replace them with players who with time can function as replacements (except for Fletch who I think it would be impossible to replace in the short to medium term). In addition, we were woefully lacking in central midfield (and he has attempted to upgrade that area of the team too). It is also clear that he has attempted to UPGRADE the defence and that we have not been able to sign the players that he identified as clearly better than what are currently on the books. None of this is recognized by the original poster because to do so would run counter to his crushing negativity.

As to why we couldnt sign those players there are any number of factors, but I believe that the ONLY reason we were even in the running was because of our manager. Ultimately all of them chose to join clubs in better leagues than the one we are currently playing in.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because we are a Championship team?! :confused:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other sides build good defensive units on far less funds than Wolves.
Why cant we?
I also feel our central midfield doesnt help as we just dont keep hold of the ball enough.
So frustrating!

J

JR's Boots

It isn't a good comment, it's completely asinine. We lost three of our most 'creative' players and thus it was imperative to replace them with players who with time can function as replacements (except for Fletch who I think it would be impossible to replace in the short to medium term). In addition, we were woefully lacking in central midfield (and he has attempted to upgrade that area of the team too). It is also clear that he has attempted to UPGRADE the defence and that we have not been able to sign the players that he identified as clearly better than what are currently on the books. None of this is recognized by the original poster because to do so would run counter to his crushing negativity.

As to why we couldnt sign those players there are any number of factors, but I believe that the ONLY reason we were even in the running was because of our manager. Ultimately all of them chose to join clubs in better leagues than the one we are currently playing in.

I don't believe the club has officially declared any interest in fullbacks, the most glaring problem positions in our side.

Any manager worth his salt could get better fullbacks than Ward Zubar and Stearman as its not their natural positions and it shows week in week out. It's not even an issue about money; just recruit players who are full backs.

E

Essex Wolf

What exactly is asinine about asking a question about a issue that has been a problem for a long while now?

Wolves did not have to sell their best players as was often commented upon by Moxey, that they choose to do so and cash in speaks volumes IMV about the sort of owner the club now sadly has.

The replacements Stale has signed up so far may well turn out very good but only time will tell and if they don't make the grade some serious questions will again be asked as to why exactly did the club bring in nigh on £30M in player sales and spend less then 33% reinvesting?

wolf97, yes Wolves are now a championshipside, in no small thanks to certain people but something we all have to accept. It would just be nice to see a bit more commitment by some in an effort to get back to the league they seemed very happy to leave behind without a fight.

As to players not joining because of Wolves being in the championship, yes I'm sure in some matters that is the case. But we all know Wolves failed last year to get the quality needed becasue of their miserly attitude and subsequently paid the ultimate cost. They need not make the same mistakes again but seem happy to carry on with a failed approach.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Absolutely this. Solbakken obviously tried to strengthen the defence in the form of Demidov and Geromel but unfortunately we couldn't compete with the offer of top division football elsewhere.

I don't claim to be remotely in the know but to me, it looks as if Solbakken has been backed fully in terms of bringing in the players that he wanted to. I'm sure he will also get further backing in the loan and January windows.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely this. Solbakken obviously tried to strengthen the defence in the form of Demidov and Geromel but unfortunately we couldn't compete with the offer of top division football elsewhere.

I don't claim to be remotely in the know but to me, it looks as if Solbakken has been backed fully in terms of bringing in the players that he wanted to. I'm sure he will also get further backing in the loan and January windows.

We can forget promotion and concentrate on avoiding relegation if he doesn't.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He tried.....

Well that's ok I guess. Just like we tried to improve the squad last January.......

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
He tried.....

Well that's ok I guess. Just like we tried to improve the squad last January.......

All I'm saying is that his top targets decided to go elsewhere. I'm pretty certain that Solbakken will have realised that we need to strengthen defensively but what is the point of him spending money on players he doesn't really want, doesn't feel are much of an improvement on what we already have or are just going to be squad fillers?

Once other defensive targets become available, I'm sure he will be backed as he was with Doumbia, Sako, Sigurdarson and Boukary. In the meantime, I'm sure we will try to utilise the loan market.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that his top targets decided to go elsewhere. I'm pretty certain that Solbakken will have realised that we need to strengthen defensively but what is the point of him spending money on players he doesn't really want, doesn't feel are much of an improvement on what we already have or are just going to be squad fillers?

Once other defensive targets become available, I'm sure he will be backed as he was with Doumbia, Sako, Sigurdarson and Boukary. In the meantime, I'm sure we will try to utilise the loan market.

I hope so. Solbakken effectively became the clubs manager at the beginning of May and by the middle of June had seen all of the games from last season, he even quoted himself the priority was defence.

Personally I'd have been looking at an experienced, vocal keeper and a leader at the back as absolute priorities as well as the full back positions.

I fear that we've gone too far down this young and hungry route, all of Solbakkens purchases to date seem to fit this profile and we need some balance in this team of leadership and experience, we may not get huge re-sale value from these sorts of players but that shouldn't matter.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Demidov would have been a really good signing. I was gutted when that fell through. My worry is that after that it took so long to bring in another centre half, I really fear the Pizza man was a last resort. I am so angry we haven't strengthened at both full back positions.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
I hope so. Solbakken effectively became the clubs manager at the beginning of May and by the middle of June had seen all of the games from last season, he even quoted himself the priority was defence.

Personally I'd have been looking at an experienced, vocal keeper and a leader at the back as absolute priorities as well as the full back positions.

I fear that we've gone too far down this young and hungry route, all of Solbakkens purchases to date seem to fit this profile and we need some balance in this team of leadership and experience, we may not get huge re-sale value from these sorts of players but that shouldn't matter.

Completely agree about the leader at the back. I said in the Summer that one of my first targets would have been someone like Ryan Nelsen. However, as with the likes of Demidov, we didn't stand a chance once top division clubs came in for him. Someone of that mould, pedigree and experience would be invaluable at the moment.

E

extremewolf

fair point - when he's new in the role he will be judged by his signings and has opted to be 'sensible' in moving for players he seems sure about as opposed to following an exodus with the filling the squad with panic-buys like eggert johnsson, adam hammill. of course this is easy with hindsight but our targeted signings of doyle, ebanks, fletcher, jarvis, kightly, edwards proved to be a lot better than the filler players like maierhoffer, halford etc.

looking at the 'exodus' this summer - its not far from the situation we had with the departures of blake, sturridge, kennedy, rae, cameron etc - and whilst Mick needed to bring in players to field a team - did the likes of craig davies, jay bothroyd, lewis gobern, daniel jones, gary breen etc set the world alight?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree about the leader at the back. I said in the Summer that one of my first targets would have been someone like Ryan Nelsen. However, as with the likes of Demidov, we didn't stand a chance once top division clubs came in for him. Someone of that mould, pedigree and experience would be invaluable at the moment.

To be honest Tring I think it's going to take more than one man to come in and change our fortunes around. We need another 4 or 5 I reckon, not just to replace our full backs, who are both a liability but to give us a bit more strength in depth from the bench and even be good enough to play if others aren't performing. If you look at the bench from Saturday, and I know we had injuries, it was very poor. We need players who will challenge for a first team place.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are a few things fundamentally wrong with the proposed restructure of our back four.

Firstly, and quite apparently with out question, Solbakken is not only building a team that he believes will gain promotion, but also a team and squad that will sustain Premiership football. This is evident in his actual signings, that look as though they can, take that step up to Premiership football and create damage, no more so in the signings of Sako and Doumbia, which are excellent progressive signings for our club. The type of signing I will hold my hat up and say that I am not experienced in Wolves ever truly doing. With that mindset, who was available?

Secondly, Stale DID try the above with our defence on four occasions; Demidov, Oviedo, Geromel and Margreitter. One of those came off. One signed for a premiership team, one signed for a Bundesliga team the other signed on loan for a La Liga team. We tried but could not compete. It is evidenced however that Stale is at least looking for a higher skillset of defender for our team.

Thirdly, a back four consisting of his signing, a right back that was the most consistent fullback in the league the last time we were in it, a centreback that although cack last season was a dominant CB in the Championship for a number of seasons, as well as being competent at the Premiership level too and a left back that is ... well Stephen Ward, there is no excuse there to be frank, should in theory be able to cope with Championship attack. Not to mention the overall change in tactic they are facing too. It SHOULD be competent at least, not awe inspiring, but competent.

And finally, who actually should we have brought in? Ryan Nelson? He signed for QPR and is no doubt having money thrown at him? Who else? Championship CBs at £3-5 mil a throw, unproven at Premier level so we have to replace them after a season as they won't be up to the job? How about Prem team CBs on loan? Oh that's right, Prem teams hold out on that option usually till after Transfer Deadline Day, to truly evaluate their squad and see who can go out, and usually the better ones go on loan to lower level Prem teams anyway (Fabio to QPR for example) but that market may very well be tapped in a few days time when it opens up. The main point being why waste money on players that won't truly step up?

Would Roger Johnson walk into the majority of teams in the Chamoionship? Yes, if he was available on a free he'd be snapped up, same can be said of many of our defenders.

I'm not saying the back four doesn't need work, it does, we need a left back and another (remember one's been signed already) centre back. But, and it's an important but, if our current back four listen in training, switch on for a full 90 minutes (their major flaw imho) and start to garner a shred of confidence and consistency in the way they play, they will be a comfortable and competent back four in this division.

The signing of true defenders in Solbakken's wanton mould will come if this team get promoted. Same with a God's honest out and out striker, that'll come next season if we go up. And let's be honest, four games have been played. It's the Championship, you have one solid month of results and you end up in a play off position, we're not dead and buried. Blackpool will stumble, every team always does at some juncture. There will be times when we excel for a good run of games. Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later as one it'll give the players a smidgen of self-belief, something they haven't had since this time last year, and two, unsympathetic and impatient Wolves fans may actually start getting behind and believing in the team, something they haven't had since promotion season.

Back
Top Bottom