Broadband & TV Packages?

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Mrs & I are soon moving out into the sticks a bit, and won't be able to continue with our Virgin package - so as to say - as their cable doesn't go there.

Is anyone clued up on options & best deals for Broadband & TV [and phone as needs be]?

We're wanting reasonable broadband for standard usage, and the full monty for the TV [sports & films & documentaries]. Phone as & what really - we use our mobiles really and never actually got round to plugging in our landline where we're currently living.

I've just had an excruciating 30-minute "online text chat" with a Sky eejut, gushing marketing carp at me and inane platitudes. I got them down to £75 a month for what we want, but still seems a lot to me.

Any cunning ideas, Mixers?

Or if you want Sky Sports, is it just a simple toss-up between Sky & Virgin?

i think it depends on your broadband speed available and your tech knowledge

The Mrs & I are soon moving out into the sticks a bit, and won't be able to continue with our Virgin package - so as to say - as their cable doesn't go there.

Is anyone clued up on options & best deals for Broadband & TV [and phone as needs be]?

We're wanting reasonable broadband for standard usage, and the full monty for the TV [sports & films & documentaries]. Phone as & what really - we use our mobiles really and never actually got round to plugging in our landline where we're currently living.

I've just had an excruciating 30-minute "online text chat" with a Sky eejut, gushing marketing carp at me and inane platitudes. I got them down to £75 a month for what we want, but still seems a lot to me.

Any cunning ideas, Mixers?

Or if you want Sky Sports, is it just a simple toss-up between Sky & Virgin?
£75 for the full sky tv package, broadband and line rental is about right.

Have you tried bt?

£75 is ridiculous. As a new customer you are in a very good position you should be able to get it at half that price and get cash back.
Take a look at signing up for Quidco if you are not already. Money for nothing. I just had a quick look and they are currently offering £188 cash back and a £100 M&S voucher.

£75 is ridiculous. As a new customer you are in a very good position you should be able to get it at half that price and get cash back.
Take a look at signing up for Quidco if you are not already. Money for nothing. I just had a quick look and they are currently offering £188 cash back and a £100 M&S voucher.

Quidco would be a good move.

I'd take a look at BT too. Might work out a little cheaper if you only want Sky Sports 1. The BT Sports channels are pretty good for free. If you want Movies, there's always Netflix or Now TV that work with the BT YouView box.

I've got Sky Broadband, Phone and TV package.
No problems, no fuss.
Reliable and easy.

buy a second hand sky dish,second hand sat receiver,spiderbox or technomate 6800hd sat receiver,can get them for around £60,google cs and you can get uncle ruperts channels from 4euros a month,you dont need super fast broadband for it to work,like i said google is your friend

Mr T, is that legal or does it get through some sort of loophole?

Crocos - bit of a long shot but do you have an Xbox & a friend who has sky? You can get access to Sky from an Xbox that is connected to the Internet and if you have a friend who has Sky go, you can use their password to access the same channels they have through skygo. I know a few friends who give their skygo passwords out, sort of like a sublet.

I'm in the process of moving so this thread will be useful for me also Crocos, thanks.

BTW, I wouldn't go anywhere near BT. I've a mate who is having a nightmare getting them to come out and install the broadband and TV. They've clearly bitten off more than they can chew in terms of the uptake is business after announcing BT sport.

buy a second hand sky dish,second hand sat receiver,spiderbox or technomate 6800hd sat receiver,can get them for around £60,google cs and you can get uncle ruperts channels from 4euros a month,you dont need super fast broadband for it to work,like i said google is your friend

Card sharing is coming to an end within the next two months, for BSkyB anyway.

Mr T, is that legal or does it get through some sort of loophole?

Crocos - bit of a long shot but do you have an Xbox & a friend who has sky? You can get access to Sky from an Xbox that is connected to the Internet and if you have a friend who has Sky go, you can use their password to access the same channels they have through skygo. I know a few friends who give their skygo passwords out, sort of like a sublet.

I'm in the process of moving so this thread will be useful for me also Crocos, thanks.

BTW, I wouldn't go anywhere near BT. I've a mate who is having a nightmare getting them to come out and install the broadband and TV. They've clearly bitten off more than they can chew in terms of the uptake is business after announcing BT sport.
Technically no it's not legal, but the chance of you being convicted? None. Eg at the Preston game, the away pub just outside the station that the police organised for fans to go to and had police in it for around 4 hours had card sharing and was showing the football from foreign channels. It's illegal but the coppers really don't give a $$$$ as long as you keep it quiet.

Card sharing is coming to an end within the next two months, for BSkyB anyway.

sorry to dissapoint you stefan,but its not coming to an end,it will only end if people put the new cards into the new sky box so it pairs with that receiver,if for example i put sky card into my vu-uno then it works fine and can be shared with who ever i like,and card is not then locked to sky receiver

sorry to dissapoint you stefan,but its not coming to an end,it will only end if people put the new cards into the new sky box so it pairs with that receiver,if for example i put sky card into my vu-uno then it works fine and can be shared with who ever i like,and card is not then locked to sky receiver

We shall see, hope you're right but I heard sky know what box you should have in your house by serial code or equivalent - and the new card will automatically be paired with that code, ie if you put it in a third party receive it won't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never use Virgin media for anything.

I'm with Sky, pay about £80 for everything multi room Box nation etc

We shall see, hope you're right but I heard sky know what box you should have in your house by serial code or equivalent - and the new card will automatically be paired with that code, ie if you put it in a third party receive it won't work.

its the new receivers that they sent out which has card pairing,and it seems to effect multiroom users more than anything,you dont have to have there new receivers and i know for a fact that people using oscam are having there cards updated every month without even putting there cards anywhere near a skybox,but like you say we will see

Why? I've had nothing other than positive experiences with them.

They took out a contract in my name for a mobile phone (no I didn't agree!) and sent me a Collections letter threatening allsorts for non payment of a contract I have never had after 6 months of alleged non-payment.

Bearing in mind my job, and that I was going for a mortgage at the same time, means they can $$$$ right off in every way!

Glad Wombourne doesn't have the facility to be honest!

They took out a contract in my name for a mobile phone (no I didn't agree!) and sent me a Collections letter threatening allsorts for non payment of a contract I have never had after 6 months of alleged non-payment.

Bearing in mind my job, and that I was going for a mortgage at the same time, means they can $$$$ right off in every way!

Glad Wombourne doesn't have the facility to be honest!

How did they manage to do that?

When my O2 stops supplying broadband which is later this year they are automatically switching me to sky, though after doing a little (and I mean little) research I think I may switch to plusnet instead.

Anyone got any experience with plusnet unlimited ?

Back
Top Bottom