Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But thats not the point.

He’s not being employed by the BBC to give his expert analysis,

I don’t think it ruins everyones experience of a Wolves win, nothing can. The point is that yet again there is someone employed who simply is not up to the job and not being recruited for being good at that job.

The most journalists do their groundwork and put in the hard yards at local level broadcasters and truly have to earn the right to get on BBC, many will never make it.

People are being quotered in because they are female, and Lionesses, not because they have earned the right in their chosen profession.

It’s the same with cricket. Finish playing at female International level, which is an appaling standard, and walk into a job on Test Match Special. Good journalists have had to work for many years to acheive this.

Human nature and work culture makes it unpleasant for the vast majority when we see people not being recruited on merit.
I have no problem with anyone commentating from a position of strength. The idea is to add value to the watch with some insight or stat. Make the broadcast even better .

So many co commentators are under researched and poorly prepared thinking they can rock up and spout drivel without being called on it, male or female

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty solid defensive performance.
Hwang not having a good game hurt our attacking capabilities. Nothing stuck up front.
Atmosphere in the last 15 minutes was fantastic - congratulations to the South Bank for keeping it going. Even us in the Billy Wright were joining in.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good hard-fought win. Solid in defence. The forward players worked hard but their first touch was off and sometimes the ball didn't bounce our way.

The match went as expected with Brighton dominating possession. They always seemed to be one pass away from opening us up, but we got a foot, head or in body in the way at the right time meaning Sa didn't have much to do.

Man of the Match for me was Doyle. He has 360 degree vision. You can tell he was a Man City academy player. Protected the defence and let Gomes and Lemina get forward.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Watching SSN this morning 35 minutes in and they haven’t even mentioned our game let alone shown any highlights or managers interviews.

Yet we were treated to 10 minutes of ten Hag and a rerun of Fernandez feigning injury at the weekend because Eric mentioned social media.

A disgrace.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
A good hard-fought win. Solid in defence. The forward players worked hard but their first touch was off and sometimes the ball didn't bounce our way.

The match went as expected with Brighton dominating possession. They always seemed to be one pass away from opening us up, but we got a foot, head or in body in the way at the right time meaning Sa didn't have much to do.

Man of the Match for me was Doyle. He has 360 degree vision. You can tell he was a Man City academy player. Protected the defence and let Gomes and Lemina get forward.
Thats actually a really good summary - they couldn’t get that final ball or shot off because we defended so brilliantly for 97 minutes.

This really sets us up for the rest of the season, because we now have evidence that when games like this come along we have the resiliance to come through it.

Confidence for players and supporters.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't say that did I. I simply asked how much people thought it would be, so wind your neck in
It felt like another dig at the club after your previous comments on pricing. Apologies if it wasn't.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We won ugly and sometimes the best teams have to do that look at Man City in recent weeks.

If we can get past coventry, one of the big boys will await us. Semi final or final still another big achievement this group have really pulled together in tight numbers. Nuno style
Think Leicester could well do a job on Chelsea who were quite lucky last night so if we get through think there could still be a non big gun we could draw.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree this time. You don't try and sign ekitike or the Brazilian fella at all if there's no money. Accept that it is an issue but you aren't in for those players if there isn't funds.
A bit boy who cried wolf. Small squad, small squad, small squad eventually it wears thin.
Kieffer Moore went to Ipswich on half his wage. His name is like asbestos to fans at wolves but would of done a job (45mins instead of an unfit hwang today is all we needed).
Accept times in the past we've been told that we only want those that improve the group but that is just not the case this time as the first team are set and absolutely brilliant. We needed bodies to cover.
It's fine, Diego Costa just picked up the SOS. We just need some Wolves on leads and we're set.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pretty solid defensive performance.
Hwang not having a good game hurt our attacking capabilities. Nothing stuck up front.
Atmosphere in the last 15 minutes was fantastic - congratulations to the South Bank for keeping it going. Even us in the Billy Wright were joining in.
Yes atmosphere was terrific last 15 mins even in North Bank Upper where everyone around me was joining in.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It felt like another dig at the club after your previous comments on pricing. Apologies if it wasn't.

No worries.

Yeah I was heavily critical of the pricing for the Brighton game, but a QF is a different prospect in terms of pricing.

I'm not expecting anything less than £30 for this - just hope they don't take the **** and charge PL rates

Reactions: Ned
Reaction score
It was all about getting through last night but I found the first 60 minutes quite frustrating as we couldn't keep hold of the ball and it kept coming back to us. The defence stood up really well, however, ably assisted by Doyle and Gomes in front of them.

The introduction of Neto and, in particular, Sarabia gave us a little more control and we became more of a threat on the break. For all they created a few chances, I don't recall Sa having a serious save to make.

My MOTM was probably Doyle but Kilman wasn't far behind him and RAN, Doc and Santi all played really well too.

I was there for the 1973 QF against Sky Blues and a repeat of the scoreline that day will do just fine in a couple of weeks time!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref was very fussy. Players couldn't touch each other without it being a foul. But got nothing wrong and controlled the game fine.

Seen the goal now - fair that jlb gets credit for that. He did it a second time in the game too, just not enough else.

Will he have to play faux striker again now do we think? Fraser looked far from ready the other week but maybe we just need to trust him.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But thats not the point.

He’s not being employed by the BBC to give his expert analysis,

I don’t think it ruins everyones experience of a Wolves win, nothing can. The point is that yet again there is someone employed who simply is not up to the job and not being recruited for being good at that job.

The most journalists do their groundwork and put in the hard yards at local level broadcasters and truly have to earn the right to get on BBC, many will never make it.

People are being quotered in because they are female, and Lionesses, not because they have earned the right in their chosen profession.

It’s the same with cricket. Finish playing at female International level, which is an appaling standard, and walk into a job on Test Match Special. Good journalists have had to work for many years to acheive this.

Human nature and work culture makes it unpleasant for the vast majority when we see people not being recruited on merit.
The female commentators on TMS are generally excellent. Well prepared, interesting and humorous when appropriate. I have heard worse male than female on there, as I sometimes have listening to football.
Given that journalists generally haven't played elite sport, what is the relevance of the standard of international women's cricket?

PS Far more male ex players get "jobs for the boys (girls)" so why is it an issue?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref was very fussy. Players couldn't touch each other without it being a foul. But got nothing wrong and controlled the game fine.

Seen the goal now - fair that jlb gets credit for that. He did it a second time in the game too, just not enough else.

Will he have to play faux striker again now do we think? Fraser looked far from ready the other week but maybe we just need to trust him.
In some ways the fussy ref probably helped us last night, Brighton are a fluid and well oiled attacking side so the breaks in play probably did us a favour at times.

Agree about Fraser, it’s easy to forget that the club wanted to loan him to Shrewsbury in January in league one.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some ways the fussy ref probably helped us last night, Brighton are a fluid and well oiled attacking side so the breaks in play probably did us a favour at times.

Agree about Fraser, it’s easy to forget that the club wanted to loan him to Shrewsbury in January in league one.
Fraser may be an option against Coventry, Champ defenders.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What disappointed me was not the performance, but the reaction when the team was announced. People saying O’Neil wasn’t interested in the cup and had thrown the game away. After how this season has gone, hasn’t Gary O’Neil done enough to have the fans understand and support the decisions he makes. He doesn’t get everything right, who does, but he should have enough credit in the bank to avoid criticism when he rotates players.

Well done Gary and his coaching staff. Now the medical team have got to patch players up for a game on Saturday.
I didn’t get that feeling really. I think people were surprised that he rested so many (and in hindsight not necessarily the correct ones!) but l also think that the draw blinded people who saw it as a great chance to progress that we were putting at risk.

I feel like GON is a master tactician and inherently knows what is best for the team so l do agree that he knows best but l also think he is on record as saying the cup is important and we should go for it.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Ref? Assuming OK as not mentioned
Not great. Chatting to Brighton fans on train back, they said they thought he massively favoured them. Their player would go over, ref awards free kick to Brighton in good attacking position.
It was poor, to be honest.
Ironically, it's how Newcastle get a lot of their goals, trippier crossing into the box from a highly dubious foul.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mikey's great (on his podcast, don't love his commentary), Thommo is bearable, Naylor is unbearable
He does the screaming of the players full name 3 times when they score a vital goal which is irritating but will be funny when Bellegarde scores a late winner.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely disagree with that - Toti is improving all the time, where Dawson is only getting older….
Dawson's leadership and experience is vital in that backline. Understand he's not getting younger but we need an older head back there in any case, don't want a return to the Kilman-Collins days, for example. Need a Dawson/Coady figure.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To have potentially 4 really good and young-ish CB's next season in Toti, Kilman, Santi and Mosquera is a great position for the longer term. For a combined cost of what, 15m or so?
Mosquera is really highly rated by the sounds of it, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him in preseason.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mikey's great (on his podcast, don't love his commentary), Thommo is bearable, Naylor is unbearable
I quite like him on there, when they all make each other laugh. More a fans watch along than punditry though.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly Coventry 1973 was 17th March !

Just watched the semi too. Bremner was the original obnoxious little weed wasn’t he
Yes I agree I was at both loved the one hated the next, I still don’t know how when Richards hit the inside of the post it came out and not in
I hate Leeds

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The female commentators on TMS are generally excellent. Well prepared, interesting and humorous when appropriate. I have heard worse male than female on there, as I sometimes have listening to football.
Given that journalists generally haven't played elite sport, what is the relevance of the standard of international women's cricket?

PS Far more male ex players get "jobs for the boys (girls)" so why is it an issue?
Commentators don't need to have played the game. Their role is to tell the story on the pitch. Co-commentators are almost always retired pros that played at elite level. And that's the key really, and is why former players who played at Championship level and below rarely, if ever, fulfill those roles on the big channels. Elite level pros are recognisable and what they say carries weight even if you don't agree. So when the co-commentator is a former female player whose face, let alone voice, barely registers with the vast majority of viewers and listeners it matters. I care what Alan Shearer or Ian Wright tell me about the game whether I agree or not. I don't care what whoever the woman was on duty last night says as she has no clout.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Looks like Neto is fine. No issues raised in this interview and if he was injured I don't think he'd be spending time being interviewed in his kit post-match.

Neto makes me laugh, the way he speaks his mind.

Interviewer: Have you got your sights set on Wembley?
GON: No I have my sights set on St James' Park.

Interviewer: Wembley feels within touching distance now, can we go all the way?
Neto: Yes.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Commentators don't need to have played the game. Their role is to tell the story on the pitch. Co-commentators are almost always retired pros that played at elite level. And that's the key really, and is why former players who played at Championship level and below rarely, if ever, fulfill those roles on the big channels. Elite level pros are recognisable and what they say carries weight even if you don't agree. So when the co-commentator is a former female player whose face, let alone voice, barely registers with the vast majority of viewers and listeners it matters. I care what Alan Shearer or Ian Wright tell me about the game whether I agree or not. I don't care what whoever the woman was on duty last night says as she has no clout.
Gross overstatement , in my view but I get that we will disagree. Also, some of the comments are about commentators not analyst's so don't apply in the way you intend. I guess I don't want to see females dissed because they are female withe criticism disguised as something else. I am sure you agree with the last sentence

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like Neto is fine. No issues raised in this interview and if he was injured I don't think he'd be spending time being interviewed in his kit post-match.

Neto makes me laugh, the way he speaks his mind.

Interviewer: Have you got your sights set on Wembley?
GON: No I have my sights set on St James' Park.

Interviewer: Wembley feels within touching distance now, can we go all the way?
Neto: Yes.

Dreaming is for free!

loppers86

Reaction score
my verdict is ‘don’t try to park at civic’.

on top of that - the PE teacher is matching Nuno blow for blow at the moment. Great result, decently solid performance..

neto, gomes, sarabia, lemina, doyle and ran (and cunha) are all fantastic players and it’s taken GON to gel them into a team. well done gary!

Hwang and Bellegarde really aren’t great at the moment and Boubacar struggle to even hoof it anywhere but up in the air.

Back
Top Bottom