Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also well done to the fans properly stepped it up in the last 10 minutes to get the boys through that game, you could see they appreciated it, especially Neto at the end. A lot of these lads seem like they're struggling with the hectic schedule at the moment, I think the week break after the Newcastle game will be much appreciated.

Thankfully Newcastle will be equally as battered as us after their game went to penalties last night.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang looked totally unfit all game. I think he's one of those players who cannot play unless his hamstrings are 100%. Bellegarde was a bit of a passenger and lots of bad touches too - need to get him back to how he started for us.

However, got the tactics right second half and massive difference from the subs. Bueno was superb, kilman far better than the last couple of home games, gomes, lemina and doyle all did well.

We look a tired team so it'll be a tough end to the season. Cup QFs and good league position so let's cut them some slack.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
They had all the possession but really can't remember Sa making a save. Their biggest moment was when the goalie missed at the end.

Very well organised and defensive display. Hwang just didn't look right from the start. Battled well and got the job done.

Will be a tough game against Coventry who will be well up for this. Will be a massive game for us too and I expect us to get through. Great support last 20 mins.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde was a bit of a passenger and lots of bad touches too - need to get him back to how he started for us.
That will only potentially happen when he is returned to his true position as a central midfielder who can carry the ball forward. He was meant to be the cheap replacement for Nunes not a winger, not a number 10, not a striker. For some reason, GON diagnosed him as a forward option and effectively helped Fosun to not go out in January and recruit a real forward.

He played him there vs Liverpool and looked like he could offer something, then against vs Luton, he got sent off and has since been played anywhere but in its natural position. I'm not sure he has either the power, skill or eye for the clever pass to thrive in the role though at PL level. He's probably a squad option at best, who unfortunately will be overused in an alien role from hereon in due to a lack of options.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That will only potentially happen when he is returned to his true position as a central midfielder who can carry the ball forward. He was meant to be the cheap replacement for Nunes not a winger, not a number 10, not a striker. For some reason, GON diagnosed him as a forward and effectively helped Fosun to not go out in January and recruit a real forward.
Agreed. He looked good in cm and looks really poor in the front 3. RAN should play there if we're short, not bellegarde. In the short time he stepped forwards, he looked way more dangerous.

Maybe he's just unfortunate in that we don't really need his type of player at the moment. However, I did think others said he was a wide player so what do I know.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agreed. He looked good in cm and looks really poor in the front 3. RAN should play there if we're short, not bellegarde. In the short time he stepped forwards, he looked way more dangerous.

Maybe he's just unfortunate in that we don't really need his type of player at the moment. However, I did think others said he was a wide player so what do I know.
He's eaten up a lot of decent minutes for the team this year as a utility man. Gary's the perfect manager to get more out of him as it's possible... Things have just been needs must numbers-wise this season. It will be better next season.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are winning games that the Wolves of old would lose. It’s not pretty, but it’s bloody effective.

Worried that we are absolutely flogging this small team to death though. Injuries are starting to show.L
Lucky that the board thought ahead and brought in those extra players for this stage of the season.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good win against a good team.
Neither team was fluid and I cant really remember either keeper having to make a save of note.

Plus points for me were Kilman and Santi Bueno who I think looks like he will step into Dawsons position sooner rather than later. Doyle was very good as was RAN (even if he does give the ball away). For me the downsides were Hwang who seemed to be really off the pace and looked like the Hwang of old (not in a good way).

Doc couldnt run back and ambled back when caught upfield, that said he won so many headers and defended well I thought. Sa’s kicking is absolutely pants.

Couldn't sit in my usual seats tonight and the old bloke next to me slagged Hwang and O’Neill off all game. GON just stands their with his arms folded doing nothing apparently … he doesn't care.

Great win, not a great game.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I thought Bellegarde was one of our best players tonight.
He got an assist almost got another, looked really dangerous on the wing and left his marker standing on several occasions.
Hwang looked tired, his first touch wasn5 his greatest, let's hope he recovers well as on his day he's a game winner.

I think the ref did well to ignore the Brighton Divers tonight.

When was the last time any referee in the Premier League booked a forward for diving?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang injured. Play Fraser at Newcastle with Neto and Sarabia. Liverpool doing it and Leeds tonight at Chelsea. I'd throw Fraser, Chirewa or Lemina in at the weekend.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang injured. Play Fraser at Newcastle with Neto and Sarabia. Liverpool doing it and Leeds tonight at Chelsea. I'd throw Fraser, Chirewa or Lemina in at the weekend.
Liverpool had the luxury of playing at home to a 2nd division team tonight, Newcastle in front of their own fans will be at us full pelt to try and rescue their faltering season. Not a time for just "throwing in" players. For Leeds the cup game tonight was meaningless, they only care about promotion.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool had the luxury of playing at home to a 2nd division team tonight, Newcastle will be at us full pelt to try and rescue their faltering season. Not a time for just "throwing in" players.

They were playing a top championship side who just last season were in the Premier League. Also beat Chelsea with several kids in the team in the League Cup Final. I am not saying Fraser is the answer or Chirewa but feel we may have little choice but to give one of them a chance soon with both Cunha and Hwang out.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how they are going to price the Coventry game?! £30 again probably
Was £25 where I sit. Obviously you choose pricier seats.

Seriously, you want them to give away quarter final tickets? Give it a rest.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Defence were excellent as was the midfield,
just couldn't get much to stick going forward, so many breaks were wasted due to over or under hit passes. Thought we looked a bit confused by the new system with 3 in midfield at times.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is why we needed 'anybody' in January for reinforcement just to eat up some minutes and could do a job as the players look tired. With still a third of the season to go. Penny pinching could cost us but let's see. The excuse of 'the right player wasn't available' just doesn't wash this time.
23,800 I thought was a bit poor crowd (price I know) but there was less than Brentford cup by nearly 4k and this time Brighton brought more than them.
Now the negatives out the way, the crowd that was there were fantastic. Best cup crowd for a long time. Really backed the players despite us not having the ball for long periods.
Defensively fantastic, kilman and Bueno were brilliant. Doherty was very solid, won every header and covered well.
So well organised and we gave them nothing and nullified their threat. Well done Gary got it spot on.
Into the next round and a chance of a trip to wembley if we get past Coventry! Where are all the fa cup haters now, the conditioning of fans to think the premier league is the be all and end all is a bit maddening. Glory awaits!

Nige

Reaction score
Never thought they were going to score. GON has learnt so much from the first game against them

180 minutes of football against them since of them playing their tippy tappy stuff that gets everyone wet, then launching it in the box when that doesn't work, and barely challenged Sa once
That was against Brighton reserves though.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that ruined the night for anyone it says a lot more about them than it does her.
To be fair, she was awful. I hate the borderline misogyny when it comes to women commentating but we shouldn't shy away from being honest: for the first 15 mins all she did was comment on whether VAR should look at nothing 'incidents'. But yeah, if that ruined anyone's night they need to get a grip.

I thought Doyle, Lemina, Ait-Nouri and Kilman were really good and the rest did their jobs.

Looking forward to the Cov game. Will it be played on the Saturday - the **** and Blues are at home that day?

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
This is why we needed 'anybody' in January for reinforcement just to eat up some minutes and could do a job as the players look tired. With still a third of the season to go. Penny pinching could cost us but let's see. The excuse of 'the right player wasn't available' just doesn't wash this time.
23,800 I thought was a bit poor crowd (price I know) but there was less than Brentford cup by nearly 4k and this time Brighton brought more than them.
Now the negatives out the way, the crowd that was there were fantastic. Best cup crowd for a long time. Really backed the players despite us not having the ball for long periods.
Defensively fantastic, kilman and Bueno were brilliant. Doherty was very solid, won every header and covered well.
So well organised and we gave them nothing and nullified their threat. Well done Gary got it spot on.
Into the next round and a chance of a trip to wembley if we get past Coventry! Where are all the fa cup haters now, the conditioning of fans to think the premier league is the be all and end all is a bit maddening. Glory awaits!
I'd call it ffp rather than penny pinching.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are winning games that the Wolves of old would lose. It’s not pretty, but it’s bloody effective.

Worried that we are absolutely flogging this small team to death though. Injuries are starting to show.
My worry too - a centre forward or wide player on loan would really have helped.

We are in a position I wouldn’t have dreamed of at the start of the season, but last 8 of the cup and top half of the league is incredible. Can only hope the injuries are not too bad and Cunha is back soon.

Back
Top Bottom