Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton Verdict

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I think you make the mistake of assuming a formation sets in stone a style of play. We can keep a back 3 and play a high line with fluid attacking play; plenty of teams play a back 4 and sit deep relying on counter attacks.
I see what your saying but I'd rather see an extra midfielder than an extra defender

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see what your saying but I'd rather see an extra midfielder than an extra defender
There’s not really a right or wrong. I like the extra freedom the wingbacks get with 3 cb’s.
Though I do think 3 of our 4 midfielders could make a very decent midfield 3 in a 433. It’s why I’m not concerned about having only 4 cb atm.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the absolute opposite of a moody broody type, very shortly after looking disappointed at being subbed, he was back to his bubbly school boy personna.
I remember from past games, clips of him skipping with delight after a team mate has scored.

The irrepressible Pedro is back!
I thought he looked moody coming off until I realised he was actually having a row with the 4th official

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite quote was when he was talking about Neto and said he remembered watching him at Lazio and knew he'd be a top player. Them 55 minutes across 5 appearances when he was 17/18 years old must have been seriously eye catching.
When I heard that I called BS on it, was thinking he was just trying to make it sound like he was knowledgeable. Turns out his only knowledge is the eating habits of Gareth Bale!

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
There’s not really a right or wrong. I like the extra freedom the wingbacks get with 3 cb’s.
Though I do think 3 of our 4 midfielders could make a very decent midfield 3 in a 433. It’s why I’m not concerned about having only 4 cb atm.
i do think against some teams the extra midfielder would benefit and other times the as shown against man city the 5 worked better, just not all the time

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In your haste to show how much you are a super fan you have accused me of loving lop in the past which was wrong, let me explain my position rather than you thinking I think the same as others again , in terms of relegation at the time when we were playing negative anti football yes it looked that way and the reason I get annoyed is because I think our players are easily good enough to be doing better, which I have also said on many occasions. GON has done well of late and got them playing well are you saying he is not capable of continuing to improve the team and evolving the shape to fully exploit the ability of our players we have?
I’ll ignore the silly super fan jibe, and I’m definitely not mixing you up with anyone else, you were on GONs case from the start and now, despite a run of 6 games unbeaten, you’re suggesting his tactics are somehow holding us back and he needs to change.

Your logic that you’d simply “swap a defender for a midfielder” and hey presto we’d do better is unbelievably naive.

What is the issue with our current tactics? Averaging over 1.4 goals a game this season in comparison to 1 (or less) for the previous 3 years under 3 different managers. We are creating chances and are the most exciting we’ve been in years.

As for your last question, well to be honest no, I don’t think theres a lot more room for evolution until new players come in. I think we’re getting the most possible out of this squad. GON is a great young head coach but he’s not a wizard.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
I don't think we play a strict 5 at the back. It's a lop sided 4 with RAN playing further up and Toti covering the full back roll.

It works and I'm enjoying it. We attack more, create more chances and score more and at the same time relatively solid at the back.

Gary is doing great and deserves all the credit he is getting. Easily on par with Nuno's best season if not better.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we play a strict 5 at the back. It's a lop sided 4 with RAN playing further up and Toti covering the full back roll.

It works and I'm enjoying it. We attack more, create more chances and score more and at the same time relatively solid at the back.

Gary is doing great and deserves all the credit he is getting. Easily on par with Nuno's best season if not better.
"On par with Nuno's best season if not better", really?
Surely, European involvement has to be the benchmark, or even an FA Cup Semi-Final at least.......

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing the argument for the current CB and CM group being better suited to a back four. I don't think shackling one of the mf to a pure DM (and therefore have them more or less never in the box) plays to anyone's strengths, and I don't think the CB group has the pace to cope with breaks on their own (Toti aside).

Again, the player we are really talking about is Toti. He solves three problems:

1. Free up RAN to be a wide wing in possession
2. Cover for Dawson and Kilman in transition
3. Free up Lemina and his CM partner to venture forward.

He's also useful in the air from set pieces.

Let's say we swap Doyle in for Toti and play him with Joao Gomes and Lemina. On the plus side, that's a lot of bodies in the middle, and passing has improved a lot. On the minus, we have just given a lot more responsibility to RAN, there is a lot less transition cover, and the midfield dynamic needs to get sorted again.

Could also pull out RAN, but now the question is wtf is the left side in terms of danger.

Maybe a change in the summer with a preseason to work out the kinks, but I really don't see it mid season.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Surely, European involvement has to be the benchmark, or even an FA Cup Semi-Final at least.......
In terms of entertainment and enjoyment I'd say so.

Long way to go yet, might even get somewhere close, but enjoying the ride. Considering where we were at the beginning of the season it feels proper good at the moment.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We're three points off 7th place. Shows how close we are to our 40 year peak. Going to be some ups and downs, but if we keep progressing as we have, avoid injuries and dubious decisions, finishing 7th is possible.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We found a lovely pub called The Swan Inn, I’ve never managed to find a pub local to the ground in previous seasons its a 5/6 minute walk from the ground
Will definitely go to the same pub again next season

I was in the Swan for a couple of drinks Friday afternoon after work. Great little pub just by the Uni. Never been in on match day though.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A word again for Chirewa's three key tackles in quick succession. Amazing from a player making his senior debut (unless you count EFL Trophy). Could be quite the signing.

He did make a brief cameo in the FA Cup at Brentford too... I know because I was in the row behind his VERY excited family/friends.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're three points off 7th place. Shows how close we are to our 40 year peak. Going to be some ups and downs, but if we keep progressing as we have, avoid injuries and dubious decisions, finishing 7th is possible.
If we keep progressing, we could win the FA Cup and have Champions League involvement.
I think we should reserve judgement regarding the eventual outcome and whether its on par (or better) with Nuno's best season, don't you think.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I heard that I called BS on it, was thinking he was just trying to make it sound like he was knowledgeable. Turns out his only knowledge is the eating habits of Gareth Bale!
..... and we all know what beanz meanz....

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I’ll ignore the silly super fan jibe, and I’m definitely not mixing you up with anyone else, you were on GONs case from the start and now, despite a run of 6 games unbeaten, you’re suggesting his tactics are somehow holding us back and he needs to change.

Your logic that you’d simply “swap a defender for a midfielder” and hey presto we’d do better is unbelievably naive.

What is the issue with our current tactics? Averaging over 1.4 goals a game this season in comparison to 1 (or less) for the previous 3 years under 3 different managers. We are creating chances and are the most exciting we’ve been in years.

As for your last question, well to be honest no, I don’t think theres a lot more room for evolution until new players come in. I think we’re getting the most possible out of this squad. GON is a great young head coach but he’s not a wizard.
Half read everything again, no point me bothering, I can have a discussion with others because they are happy to discuss different opinions and take things on board but still disagree.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was absolutely superb. Been meaning to post this since Monday but kept forgetting. There was a moment early on where he got caught out and broke his neck to get back and correct his mistake - from then on he didn't get caught out once.

It's perfectly fine to have criticised Semedo and to now change your opinion, because he is playing far better than he did last season. And he isn't the only one - O'Neil is getting a tune out of both full backs, accentuating their positives and mitigating their flaws. Sarabia wasn't at his best on Monday, but he worked his socks off getting back into position and covering during the first half.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we keep progressing, we could win the FA Cup and have Champions League involvement.
I think we should reserve judgement regarding the eventual outcome and whether its on par (or better) with Nuno's best season, don't you think.

Yes, that's why I included the word "possible".

Back
Top Bottom