Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactically outclassed today. GON hasn’t been here long tbf, but the overload on the left wing (Mitoma and Estupiqn Vs Semedo) happened in the same fixture last season and today. That’s just lazy thinking and frankly the right midfielder needs to spot this and help back.

Our Finishing is really poor, Hwang is the one who loooks like he can finish

Sa is a good goalie, but isn’t strong enough With his feet to play our style

Neto - wrong wing if you want a finish or cross att the end of the run

We need a couple of bodies

In possession we struggled to pass today and our only route to get up the field was to run it. Great we have 4 players good at carrying us up the pitch, but need a plan B. I feel a midfielder strong in possession and passing may be needed

Not the greatest day, but the e are creating more chances
Everyone attacks down our right flank…… it is a common trend.

Look at how many goals come from there or moves down it.

Shocking that we haven’t remedied this issue in two seasons.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a numpty. Bless, he looked like his mom dressed him up today.

He did what he was asked to do by Shi, and was made to look embarrassed and humiliated. That won’t end well for Shi, and I doubt it will end well for us.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does Semedo always get it in the neck when there was below par performances all over the pitch.
Show me a defender who can keep Mitoma I'm his cage.
He's their next big money player on a never ending conveyor belt of talent.
Because he has poor attention and concentration.

Never sprints to get back, only a slow jog that slips into a walk, while others are busting a ******* and sprinting back.

He loses his men far too regularly for solo run goals like today far too often. The fulham goal is another great example as with both he shows little desire to get the ball back or stop
The man.

He is very weak with diagonal balls
To the back stick

And the ball is played in behind him or he is nowhere near the ball receiver to.

If he was any good teams wouldn’t constantly attack and target him……

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Watching the players coming out after half time. Heads bowed , couldn’t give a **** attitude. Loved to have been a fly on the wall in the changing room

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the players coming out after half time. Heads bowed , couldn’t give a **** attitude. Loved to have been a fly on the wall in the changing room

Didn’t see that. Interesting if true. I wonder what was said in the dressing room? They certainly seem to play like they had something else on their minds coming out second half.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Didn’t see that. Interesting if true. I wonder what was said in the dressing room? They certainly seem to play like they had something else on their minds coming out second half.
Posted this on the comms thread.

Neto came out of the tunnel with a face like a smacked ****. Something went off in the dressing room at H/T for sure.

Sa tried to give him a reassuring/encouraging tap on the shoulder, but he (Neto) didn’t look interested.

The way we folded, 10 mins after half time was extremely troubling, bearing in mind we were Still very much in the game.

Glad Guo was there to see that 2nd half **** show! Hopefully, it’ll give him and Jeffery the kick up the rear end we need before the window shuts.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was bizarre. They looked completely confused or down or something. We'd been well in the game first half, all be it second best. We could easily have been winning, even so.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wasn’t at the game but just watched the highlights. The defending for the goals was absolutely horrific. Dawson looks like he’s wading through treacle and may as well not be there for the first three and gets dragged out of position for the fourth. Semedo…meh. Kilman…not much better.

If I were O’Neil, I’d be playing a deeper defensive line against the top 8 sides (back 5 too), soaking up pressure and hitting on the counter. I’d be bringing in Doc too on the right.

Play like we’re doing and we urgently need a strong and quick CB. Heard there’s a young Irish guy at Brentford who’s already impressing…

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
It was bizarre. They looked completely confused or down or something. We'd been well in the game first half, all be it second best. We could easily have been winning, even so.
Agreed.

Could have/should have at least been on level terms with them.

Something went off at half time for us to start the way we did. It was embarrassing how easy we made it for them.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

Could have/should have at least been on level terms with them.

Something went off at half time for us to start the way we did. It was embarrassing how easy we made it for them.
I've been watching us for over 30 years and although we've definitely had worse performances, I've never witnessed anything like that second half before.

I agree that something must have happened in that dressing room. Nunes behaviour was inexplicable too - unless the players were frustrated at something. May be something of nothing but what an utterly stupid sending off.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Neto came out of the tunnel with a face like a smacked ****. Something went off in the dressing room at H/T for sure.

Sa tried to give him a reassuring/encouraging tap on the shoulder, but he (Neto) didn’t look interested.

The way we folded, 10 mins after half time was extremely troubling, bearing in mind we were Still very much in the game.

Glad Guo was there to see that 2nd half **** show! Hopefully, it’ll give him and Jeffery the kick up the rear end we need before the window shuts.
I didn't see anything when they came out, but I did notice shortly after HT he ended up on the left and seemed to be in some dispute with Nunes about whether they should be switching back. Brighton scored about 10 seconds later. Wonder if something kicked off about him fancying having a go at Milner.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful awful performance, RAN and Silva should have had us up 2-1 in the first half. RAN another golden chance in the second half should have been 3 and Hwang should make 4. Cannot finish anything at all.
An awful performance? Yet you reckon we should have had 4 goals. We fell apart in the second half to a very good team. Now the work really begins with GON to turn things around. He might do that he might not but is it helpful to be judged before he has had any time to show us what he can do. Our coaches need to be able to work with players like RAn and Fabio to get them to be more clinical..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is very worrying. A rookie manager like O'Neil would need to win players over and it wouldn't take much for them to lose trust.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is even when we play well we can’t score .
Our first 130 minutes of good football has produced no goals and it is wearing on the players.
Go two goals down and we all know its over .

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to a 442 was the first mistake, unless the ball was put wide Neto and nunes were bystanders, over run in the middle and as for our play it was totally devoid of any fluency, just hopefully that when cunha got the ball he may be able to run between most of them and force a chance for us. Just so surprised we went with such a system given the players we have.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to a 442 was the first mistake, unless the ball was put wide Neto and nunes were bystanders, over run in the middle and as for our play it was totally devoid of any fluency, just hopefully that when cunha got the ball he may be able to run between most of them and force a chance for us. Just so surprised we went with such a system given the players we have.
Brighton was always going to over run us in the middle

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a similar performance to the United one. Once again, created and missed chances. This time we played a side better equipped to take advantage of the defensive deficiencies that are more likely to show up when we play a more attacking game.

Of course, according to some, the first was a great game because of Lopetegui, and the second was awful because of O'Neil. In fact, turning us into a more entertaining team is a work in progress. We've been stuffed by a very good team today. We'll do better against others in this league if we keep our heads. And we're a couple of players short of really making it work.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the knives are out but these are good players absolutely capable of better. What happened today looked like a managerial failure.

- half time talk / tactics - what on earth happened? We came out a completely different side. Midfield and full backs woefully out of position left our slow centrebacks exposed and we concede 3 simple goals in less than 10 minutes.

- subs that didn't make sense

- didn't calm players down and nunes gets sent off for idiocy (deservedly).

Yes players have to look at themselves but this is -exactly- what we were told to expect.

GON looked massively out of his depth and that was his first real game in charge.

The first team are way better than some give then credit for but no players playing those tactics were going to work. It was laughable how far 8 outfield players were from our CBs right from half time. Laughable.

Multiple times we had 5-6 players in a line in attack without the ball and were constantly one good pass from being murdered.

Also, sarabia, I don't get him yet.
Their fourth goal. The ball went across all of our four backs for March to beat the fourth man to the ball on the outside. How can that happen?

But I do agree, these players are better than what they are showing.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
Another bad day at the office. Just watched the game back and I don’t think we were as poor as the scoreline suggests, we are just riddled with individual errors and lack of confidence upfront. Won’t say much about GON, still way too early to judge despite a few cracks appearing. As many of us claimed the performance on Monday was mostly down to JL, we can’t all of a sudden lump this one on GON. Let’s see how we do against Everton.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to tear into Gary O'Neil. Yes, he's out of his depth but did anyone really expect anything different?

Trying to instill your own tactical ideas on a team that has been prepared over the course of 9 months by a better one is never going to produce immediate results. Worse is that Lopetegui realised this and ground out the results he needed to go again......O'Neil has tried to put his own stamp on the team after less than a week of training sessions. It's too soon, something an experienced manager would have realised. He didn't cover himself in glory today but it's not his fault he's been put in this position.

Talksport compared Brighton and Wolves as 'one highly choreographed performer against one that hasn't learned their lines yet' and I think that analogy actually rang true. Absolutely no surprise when you bring a different manager in five days before the start of the season.

Anyone still think our squad is fine or are we all back on the same page as Lopetegui now?!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comments Like this wouldn't help him either:

"We are very early in the process; we knew there would be a lot of things to fix. There wouldn't have been a change if things were going well."

We genuinely got hammered due to some tactical mistakes by him. Yet he has the audacity to talk about him being given the job because Lopetegui wasn't up for it and has left him with lots of things to fix

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"We are very early in the process; we knew there would be a lot of things to fix. There wouldn't have been a change if things were going well."

We genuinely got hammered due to some tactical mistakes by him. Yet he has the audacity to talk about him being given the job because Lopetegui wasn't up for it and has left him with lots of things to fix
This guy is acting like he is an upgrade on a Europa league winning manager who got more points than him after the World Cup…..

Not a clever comment there…..

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There wouldn’t have been a change if Jeff hadn’t lied to Julen and then sacked him to save face.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GON is a total amateur and a yes man, we can get used to more rubbish like this post-defeat.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
going to make a bold statement here but I don’t believe their players are that much better, they’re just coached so much better, they have a system they all know and understand, they worked so much harder than we did, and they believe in their coach. Technically our players are as good, Napoli didn’t want Kilman cause he’s ****, they knew with a system and coaching he’d be excellent. Lop got us at home tactically perfect, odd blip but 8 wins in 10 I think? Obviously away from home was a mess

Unless O’Neill gets a system the players understand we are doomed. They’re very good players, Cuhna is as good as I’ve seen but the pass when he had 3 options, when we were breaking second half, and he ****ed it up? That’s why he’s at Wolves, find a coach who can get them all playing there potential we would be too hslf.

Unfortunately I still think Lop was that coach, he was just starting to put his mark on us. Unfortunately I don’t think O’Neill is that coach, I hope I’m wrong, thought I maybe Monday, but I’m now realising United are **** and Monday was a false showing
This is basically still Lopetegui's team. O'Neil has probably had what? Maybe 4 or 5 training sessions at this point and he hasn't really changed the lineups.

Although to be fair, if it was Lopetegui, we would have had about 6 changes to the squad today instead of 1.

Over the next couple of weeks we should see more of what he's trying to get out of the team.

Could be better, could be worse. But more than likely it'll mostly be the same because we can't finish.

Back
Top Bottom