Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first clear managerial failure by Gary O'Neill. After a positive end to the first half against an undeniably good Brighton side, what on Earth did he say to the players at the break to inspire such a lame response? Did he offer any tactical insight in how to exploit Brighton whatsoever, or did he just pump his fist and shout "C'mon lads!".

Max Kilman, increasingly clear he was offered the captaincy to keep him sweet rather than any character attribute he has, was abysmal and that rot eminated outwards to the rest of the defence. Semedo is clearly Mitoma's bitch, and Dawson's age is catching up with him faster than I expected. Less said about our conviction in the finish, the better. Neto is not a right winger, nor will he ever be. Outside of Hwang, there are few positives there. We are like an attractively clad high rise penthouse with massive cracks in the foundations.

Everton now a much bigger game than it ought to be at this stage. Chairman Guo looked like an idiot in his Wolves cap. Get your checkbook out, you bell end.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Decent first half display and we should have scored 2 at least. Just fell apart after the break, which is worrying.

We've only won 1 game in August since we came back up. We always make it hard for ourselves.

Edit: I don't think we've won any games in August actually. Christ.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute shambles.

Not going to have a go at GON too much because he's blatantly out of his depth but playing a high line with our slow CBs against a team like Brighton who play quick and incisive football, as well as playing 2 CMs against a team that loves to dominate the ball and press high, was absolute amateur hour.

Nunes losing his head second game into the season paints its own story of things already starting to fall apart.

Actually had some decent phases first half where we should've scored but this squad has next to no composure in front of goal and we clearly lack mental resilience and character (as shown by our away performances and few thumpings last season). Shame we're skint and there's no money to spend.

Guo, Shi and Hobbs - hope you're happy with your work. The decline of our team and club over the course of the past few years has been staggering.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful awful performance, RAN and Silva should have had us up 2-1 in the first half. RAN another golden chance in the second half should have been 3 and Hwang should make 4. Cannot finish anything at all.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First half we were behind but still in it. 2nd half the team walks out looking defeated contrast that with Brighton who ran out with purpose. Sadly I’ve lost a lot of confidence in GON after that today. Semedo & Neto on the right do not work when they’re up against players better than Utd were on Monday. Neto is naturally left footed and needs to play on the left or he may as well be benched. Why bring on Sarabia ahead of Sasa? Why persist with Semedo when we have Doherty on the bench. Why does Neto & Semedo get the full 99 minutes? These seem like basic errors and it worries me that if GON can’t address these simple things what chance do we have? It’s looking like being a very long season again with us probably fighting down the **** end of the league. Nunes is an idiot. I’ve never been convinced he really ever wanted to come here.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Reality check for GON. He probably thought we were quite good after last week. Now we will need to readjust his thinking and possibly his approach.

Reactions: Ian

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This team stinks of relegation. Lopetegui worked miracles to keep us up, even though he's a #"##!
This is the thing the best in class are usually ****s.

How many elite managers are nice guys? And that’s my biggest concern with GON. The plucky hard working guy who everybody likes and still got the team to go and applaud the fans today. I don’t give a **** about that. I prefer a **** who is a winner.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rabbit in the headlights head coach, no leaders, weak players, a load of players that cant shoot, slowest centre back pairing in the league, poor body language by some players, owners who appear to have given up. An utter disaster of a performance. It is going to be a long and painful season.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some signs of decent football bar 10 minutes craziness, and admittedly Brighton could then game manage. But obvious we can't shoot, Neto is overcomplicating things and Nunes needs to chill.
I think I would be tempted to start with Traore, Gomes and Lemmy in midfield and Hwang Silva and Cunha next time around.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton are a good, fast hard working team. Well drilled.
Looked fitter than us.
I thought we were ok for 90 minutes and utter crap for 9.
Nunes is a moron.
RAN has a real problem, whether you like him or not, he is only able to ever do 70 minutes.
As many on here have said thousands of times it’s pointless playing Neto on the right .
Silva did ok.
Sarabia looks like he’s running through treacle all of the time.
We need another centre back.
For consecutive games Cunha has been my MOM. Worked his socks off for 99 minutes.
Hwang perhaps due a start.
O’Neil should have set out to consolidate at start of second half, not go for the press
We need to win next game.
Guo needs to find some money

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think we hit a wall at half-time and by the time we recovered Brighton had 3 chances and buried all 3 of them. It was certainly a step back from OT but I do want O'Neil to persist with an attack first approach, Brighton are where we really should be by now but alas.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had to go to London today and on the way back I was listening to some lads on about betting for the game, think they were neutrals by the sounds of it but going to the game. Made me laugh though when they said wolves had goals in them and it would be a tight game, I couldn’t be ***** to enlighten them

Utter shambles of a club until FOSUN **** off or sell 100% to someone who wants to invest heavily, championship beckons with this set up I’m afraid

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute shambles.

Not going to have a go at GON too much because he's blatantly out of his depth but playing a high line with our slow CBs against a team like Brighton who play quick and incisive football, as well as playing 2 CMs against a team that loves to dominate the ball and press high, was absolute amateur hour.

Nunes losing his head second game into the season paints its own story of things already starting to fall apart.

Actually had some decent phases first half where we should've scored but this squad has next to no composure in front of goal and we clearly lack mental resilience and character (as shown by our away performances and few thumpings last season). Shame we're skint and there's no money to spend.

Guo, Shi and Hobbs - hope you're happy with your work. The decline of our team and club over the course of the past few years has been staggering.
Agree re high line and decent phases. I still think some are going overboard at the negatives (not directed at you). It is early days, let's see how the team and manager respond.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton are a good, fast hard working team. Well drilled.
Looked fitter than us.
I thought we were ok for 90 minutes and utter crap for 9.
Nunes is a moron.
RAN has a real problem, whether you like him or not, he is only able to ever do 70 minutes.
As many on here have said thousands of times it’s pointless playing Neto on the right .
Silva did ok.
Sarabia looks like he’s running through treacle all of the time.
We need another centre back.
For consecutive games Cunha has been my MOM. Worked his socks off for 99 minutes.
Hwang perhaps due a start.
O’Neil should have set out to consolidate at start of second half, not go for the press
We need to win next game.
Guo needs to find some money
Bang on.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just far too many weak links throughout the entire side. The back 4 and keeper with the exception of RAN looked outclassed all day long and we were doing very well to have only conceded one by the break.

Gomes was really poor in midfield and Lemina isn't ever going to be good enough to carry a midfield alone like Neves was. He had a real struggle too. Nunes is a disaster for a team like Wolves at present, he just has completely the wrong qualities and mentality for this league where 85% of teams are resigned to having to scrap like mad all game week after week and he's too inefficient in attack for even y team dominating the ball. Davis actually sussed him out with his remark that Nunes is too loose.

The other "attackers" were predictably impotent. it's an age-old problem at Wolves, just bringing in players with a weak goalscoring record and imagining it will click for no reason at Wolves. Fair play to Hwang, for all his technical limitations, he does at least deliver some goals and create some clear opportunities for his teammates.

It's going to be a very hard season, but we knew that anyway. It's really just about how bad the competition at the bottom will be, than how good we can become as we look far too limited to ever deliver a good run of results. it was up and down under JL and it's not going to be any better without him.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were lots of warning signs under a top manager last season, no signings so no surprise about this result. Fosun are a laughing stock, running the club like a toy and it will end in disaster. Actually enjoyed the first half but the final phase is still shambolic. Tactics were awful 2nd half, how neto stayed on is beyond me

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are presiding over a slow motion car crash. how is just selling players ever likely to work? we were always nailed on to lose this. i went to the amex last season and it was the most comprehensive thrashing i have seen in my 53 years following wolves. i have seen other 6 nils but that could have been 12.they are just so much better than us, better coached, better organised, just better. and now in 41 games against them we have wone 8 to their 19. says it all. we are relegation fodder unless we pull off another miracle

Back
Top Bottom