Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brexit's Impact on Wolves and the Premier League

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brexit Could Drastically Change English Soccer

The end of freedom of movement scenario paints a very different picture. The proportion of EU players declines substantially — from 41 percent last season to 20 percent by 2028-29 — while the proportion of British and Irish players increases from 41 percent to 64 percent over the same period. By the end of the next decade, the EPL would begin to resemble its constitution at the end of the 1990s: Nearly two-thirds of all players would be British or Irish.

Looks like clubs with top-tier academies are going to be the ones who come out of this stronger (hopefully us).

Disclaimer: There's enough threads on the political implications of Brexit, I'd rather we keep the ****ing matches to there and just discuss the footballing impact. I found this article interesting and thought it was worth sharing as it would impact Wolves, rather then try to discuss Remain vs. Leave for the 82631st time.

S

ShropshireLad

Looks like clubs with top-tier academies are going to be the ones who come out of this stronger (hopefully us).

Disclaimer: There's enough threads on the political implications of Brexit, I'd rather we keep the ****ing matches to there and just discuss the footballing impact. I found this article interesting and thought it was worth sharing as it would impact Wolves, rather then try to discuss Remain vs. Leave for the 82631st time.
I posted the same thing on here but a different article which was written by Tim Spiers and got slagged off for it. Good luck, mate.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article. I suspect the big clubs,( and hopefully that could include Wolves within 3 or 4 years), will influence the Foreign Office for some leeway on player transfers.
I guess the Irish players mentioned in the article would be from N. Ireland
It’s a bit too early to predict, I guess.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a good article but the only issue is the whole thing is based on an un very likely 'could'

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good news for british/irish players! At the moment players under 21 have to spend 3 seasons at a club before being classed as homegrown which is why the bigger clubs fill their academies with young foreign talent who will not count as eu/non eu players by the time/if they make it to the senior side.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted the same thing on here but a different article which was written by Tim Spiers and got slagged off for it. Good luck, mate.

If so, the mods can close it then if they feel like it. I really don't want to be responsible for yet another thread with the same characters arguing the same things.

Interesting article. I suspect the big clubs,( and hopefully that could include Wolves within 3 or 4 years), will influence the Foreign Office for some leeway on player transfers.
It’s a bit too early to predict, I guess.

Yeah, it is a bit early to tell. Overall, I do think it'll be a good move for English players who may have been edged out in development in favor of a young foreign player.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we end up with a situation where clubs will be able to bring in players from anywhere in the world as easily as possible. I don't care what nationality they are, I just want the best players playing in England and hopefully for Wolves.

S

ShropshireLad

If so, the mods can close it then if they feel like it. I really don't want to be responsible for yet another thread with the same characters arguing the same things.
I think it's something worthwhile to consider as a possibility from a footballing point of view. After all, we consider hundreds and hundreds of possibilities on here each month. :cool: It's not something which should be thrown in the bin.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good news for british/irish players! At the moment players under 21 have to spend 3 seasons at a club before being classed as homegrown which is why the bigger clubs fill their academies with young foreign talent who will not count as eu/non eu players by the time/if they make it to the senior side.
Only Irish players from N. Ireland. It would be a blow to Eire players who look to play in England.
Players like Keene, Docherty,Keane etc may never get to play at a higher level.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like the English players are dissapearing off the face of the earth, they just find there natural level behind all the amazing foreign players. If you want to watch English players watch league 1. It's great having somone like Morgan Gibbs-white playing next to Ruben Neves.

S

ShropshireLad

Here you are, mate:
Wolves' league of nations – could Brexit have an impact?

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under current plans although we leave the EU at 11pm on 29th March 2019 the consequences for the PL are determined by how we leave.

If its the Maybot plan there is a transition phase where we stay in the single market until the end of 2020 so the window 2019/20 should be unaffected.Its possible that the transition phase could be extended.

Unfortunately the Maybot plan has few friends in the House of Commons and may never get thru.This means a plan b as there is even less support for a hard Brexit where we jump off the cliff on 29th March,ending our involvement in the single market at a stroke.

The impasse may only be broken by a second referendum or less likely a general election.

Watch this space I would.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At last, something that details what Brexit could mean other than Brexit.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under current plans although we leave the EU at 11pm on 29th March 2019 the consequences for the PL are determined by how we leave.

If its the Maybot plan there is a transition phase where we stay in the single market until the end of 2020 so the window 2019/20 should be unaffected.Its possible that the transition phase could be extended.

Unfortunately the Maybot plan has few friends in the House of Commons and may never get thru.This means a plan b as there is even less support for a hard Brexit where we jump off the cliff on 29th March,ending our involvement in the single market at a stroke.

The impasse may only be broken by a second referendum or less likely a general election.

Think we have heard enough *******s on the tv thanks.Not particularly you but the so called government.:(

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For the good of football,...lol.......she could,and every PM after her, indefinitely suspend negotiations. Wouldn’t be easy but I read somewhere yesterday that it could be done.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The football impact will be that English clubs can probably forget about doing well in European competition without the overseas players. Thus TV revenues will dive - how many foreign viewers would be interested in watching teams of Dave Edwards' rather than teams of Neves'? Overseas owners, likely including Fosun, will have to at the very least think hard about if they want to continue. The bottom line is that the current business model would be broken.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we end up with a situation where clubs will be able to bring in players from anywhere in the world as easily as possible. I don't care what nationality they are, I just want the best players playing in England and hopefully for Wolves.
Why would football be made an exception?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only Irish players from N. Ireland. It would be a blow to Eire players who look to play in England.
Players like Keene, Docherty,Keane etc may never get to play at a higher level.

Nothing to do with football per se but...
Free movement between UK and Eire for nationals of both countries predates either joining the EU and l have seen no proposals to end it. Indeed to do so could violate the Good Friday Agreement.

H

Honved

Nothing to do with football per se but...
Free movement between UK and Eire for nationals of both countries predates either joining the EU

Correct. Irish nationals have a special status in UK law (such that 'UK law' exists...with Scotland having a separate legal system), which they had long before the EU and free movement. And there has long been a Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK that is essentially a version of the EU's free movement that predates the EU.

The truth about Brexit's impact on either of these elements is that nobody really knows yet. The Common Travel Area would logically seem to be under threat with the border arguments, but so far there doesn't seem to be any desire on either side to change the special UK legal status of Irish people.

An educated guess is that Irish players will continue to have the same status they have now. But that's only an educated guess.

D

Deleted member 4023

What a happy bunch of supporters we have - all doom & gloom without a day off.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would football be made an exception?

When we leave we have to look at our exports and the Prem is a massive export the world, as is our entertainment industry as a whole, so I'd hope when we leave the EU the government is open to allowing workers in to the country who will benefit us as a whole in terms of producing a product that will generate income, so stopping sexy foreign footballers makes our game look like Iain Dowie and so it makes less selling around the world

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we leave we have to look at our exports and the Prem is a massive export the world, as is our entertainment industry as a whole, so I'd hope when we leave the EU the government is open to allowing workers in to the country who will benefit us as a whole in terms of producing a product that will generate income, so stopping sexy foreign footballers makes our game look like Iain Dowie and so it makes less selling around the world
I suspect that the Courts might have a view on making football a special case. For sure if the Govt does some group or groups who don't have such privileges will litigate (to be precise they will seek a judicial review of the decision). We now live in a world where people will litigate for almost anything.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Brexit means no immigration, just more controls, which will probably be fairly ineffective anyway. Anyone know details of the proposed new rules for EU nationals?
In many ways the ongoing FA desire to reduce the number of foreign players could be more important, though like a lot of others pushing out unpalatable news they may blame Brexit.

E

Edgmond Wolf

I don't think Brexit means no immigration, just more controls, which will probably be fairly ineffective anyway. Anyone know details of the proposed new rules for EU nationals?
In many ways the ongoing FA desire to reduce the number of foreign players could be more important, though like a lot of others pushing out unpalatable news they may blame Brexit.
The new rules send them all home ;)

D

Deleted member 4099

What’s Brexit?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The football impact will be that English clubs can probably forget about doing well in European competition without the overseas players. Thus TV revenues will dive - how many foreign viewers would be interested in watching teams of Dave Edwards' rather than teams of Neves'? Overseas owners, likely including Fosun, will have to at the very least think hard about if they want to continue. The bottom line is that the current business model would be broken.
My fingers are tightly crossed that yours is a prescient hypothesis. The German model is 100% better than ours, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 3518

I thought the preferred immigration approach suggested by the Government is a skill based approach rather than whether EU or none EU resident, so surely that will enhance the premiership, will it not, or do all these "imported" players have no skill?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom