Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brexit and English Football.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
What do you think is going to happen to English football post Brexit?

Will players from Europe require a work permit before they can move?

Will those already here be allowed to stay?

W

Wichenford Wolf

1. Depends on reciprocal arrangements for players from Britain.
2. Yes

G

gordonchas

And what about the status of all those British players currently with European sides?..... oh.

Although nobody knows what the status of any of these footballers will be, I doubt the effect will be negative. It will either be business as usual or more British players will get the chance to progress to the first team of their clubs - just as happens in every other EU country where teams can't afford to import foreign players (which is to say, just about all of them). And the status of non EU passport holders is entirely unaffected.

W

WasStefan

we don't know what Brexit will look like yet in terms of EU players here and British players in the EU

aside from new EU player signings having to apply for a visa like non-EU players, nothing will change, the money is still there and that won't change for the foreseeable (although you could argue the effects of Brexit may make us dip into a recession meaning Sky may fall on hard times meaning they might not offer anywhere near as much as the current rights deal meaning less money for clubs to waste, but a lot to ifs and buts there)

could be the end of deadline day frenzy maybe, if a club really wants to sign a player from EU nation they will have to do it well in advance

D

Deleted member 4456

English football is governed by money. Shekels are the question and the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing will change in the PL at least. The same old clubs will be up the top with the rest scrambling for crumbs below them...

seems the same in all of Europes main leagues as well. Boring as.

Tufts back

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
EPL will remain the same.
It should mean a lot more work permits will be required , which will mean more British players breaking through .
However as many have pointed out money talks so can't help but feel visas and permits will be made easier to get.

W

WasStefan

interestingly january was the first ever transfer window where english PL clubs made a profit

maybe the penny has dropped, build up a surplus whilst investing in the club/academy, even by doing thes english clubs are still in a league of their own financially when compared to clubs of the same size in other countries

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well England will become a tax haven so all the best players will want to come here.But they will all need work permits(like non EU players do now).

Great Britain (and NI) sports teams may be under threat depending on independence moves.

W

WasStefan

Well England will become a tax haven so all the best players will want to come here.But they will all need work permits(like non EU players do now).

Great Britain (and NI) sports teams may be under threat depending on independence moves.
your last point is irrelevant to this discussion

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the is money involved and people can find a way to get a bit of it. Nothing is going to change.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Interesting article- says the work permit rule for non eu players at the moment is based on that they play regularly for international sides.

As is, 332 players from th EU don't fit that criteria.

So left unchanged they'd all be leaving...

If you dial down the requirements, you probably have to have a single consistent policy which could mean it will be easier for non European players to get in?

G

gordonchas

What they were saying before the referendum .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

People said lots of things before the referendum.

But the fact remains that nobody knows what the work permit requirements will be in the future. The F.A. themselves lobbied the government a couple of years ago to tighten the entry rules for non EU players, so there are now fewer of them. Who knows what they'll (think they) want in two years time?

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the bigger scheme of things, I don't see it as a negative if there are less foreign players personally. Having just invested £25million plus in non-qualifying foreign players though, it could hit Wolves hard in the short term. On the other hand, I think we have one of the best academies in the championship with a crop of youngsters just about to break through so it might be advantageous in the medium term.

E

Essex Wolf

In answer to he OP. Until such time as the issue is fully resolved none of us really have a clue as to what's going to happen. My own own view is that we will hardly, if at all, notice any difference in terms of football but only time will tell.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be like players going to Russia. Work permits needed but it will just be a piece and paper and not really mean anything.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years time EU citizens have some form of "preffered" status for immigration and the UK have a similar status for trade.
Certainly doubt EU citizens currently in the UK will be deported (though it would be stupid for the government to concede that before starting negotiations).
It might allow the FA and EFL to tighten requirements though.

Denpar

Groupie
Reaction score
If the scenario happens to be the one that "gives English players more of a chance" (as outlined above), then even very limited English players - and we've got plenty of those - will be at a premium and will start to fetch mega money. (Saville, not Ismail, may become our first £100m player :) ).

On the other hand, with us due to leave Europe in 2 years time, the recent and baffling handing-out of new contracts to some of our players might then be seen as brilliant business if, because of Brexit, their value increases regardless of their ability.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Send the foreigners home and give British players a chance

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I quite like the sound of Edgies post above, I remain confident that Brexit will make no difference to the PL and English football in general. There is far too much money involved for a start!

E

Edgmond Wolf

As much as I quite like the sound of Edgies post above, I remain confident that Brexit will make no difference to the PL and English football in general. There is far too much money involved for a start!
I agree I can not see ANY changes happening

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The prem will remain in the top 2 preferred leagues in the world. I think the whole UK economy is and will lose a lot of value, the £ will have lost 40% or so, will we see the biggest ever transfer fee in £££? Like 90m Pogba will cost 140m+ in a years time.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The prem will remain in the top 2 preferred leagues in the world. I think the whole UK economy is and will lose a lot of value, the £ will have lost 40% or so, will we see the biggest ever transfer fee in £££? Like 90m Pogba will cost 140m+ in a years time.

Sorry don't agree. While there will probably be a small contraction of the economy within 5 years maximum we will have learnt how to cash in on the benefits of Brexit and ultimately will gain from getting our country back.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might see the country improve medium-long term (cheaper to export) but I reckon there will be a real short term loss. Just so many changes and unknowns (and clueless leadership) mean nobody can plan & invest.

In footballing terms don't know. We're basically free to get whoever we like from whichever country/ region so British football could benefit.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
I think with immigration having been so central to the Leave campaign its very unlikely that Football will be untouched, although probably some special deal will be agreed so that footballers find it easier than most other people to get their visa. I'm also certain that Pezky is right and the collapse of the value of the pound and long-term slower growth relative to the eurozone means that it will be much more expensive to buy players from Europe over the next decade or so. As a result I fully expect to see fewer European players in the English leagues in the future, especially lower down. I find it weird to think of Irish players like Matt Doherty becoming a premium foreign player for a championship club.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one really knows even the short term outcome of Brexit and its by no means certain the UK economy will crash compared to the EU (which has plenty of problems of its own). Much will depend on the agreements reached with the EU and how we use our advantage of being a single negotiator on trade deals against the disadvantage of now representing a much smaller potential market..
Still think the final deal will look much like today just with different words meaning minimal impact on incoming EU nationals, just more paperwork.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our relationship with Benfica means we'll have access to some of their supply line of Brazilian players. That + our academy's strength will give us an edge. Do we still have the links with Indian & US Football that Moxey built?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect that little will change at the top end of the game. The only thing that might change substantially is that it might be a bit tougher for EU nationals to secure employment in the lower leagues, however that probably wouldn't be a bad thing for English football's development anyway.

I think with immigration having been so central to the Leave campaign its very unlikely that Football will be untouched, although probably some special deal will be agreed so that footballers find it easier than most other people to get their visa. I'm also certain that Pezky is right and the collapse of the value of the pound and long-term slower growth relative to the eurozone means that it will be much more expensive to buy players from Europe over the next decade or so. As a result I fully expect to see fewer European players in the English leagues in the future, especially lower down. I find it weird to think of Irish players like Matt Doherty becoming a premium foreign player for a championship club.

Well, that technically isn't true ;) Ireland and the UK have a common travel area arrangement which long predates the EU so Irish nationals aren't regarded as foreigners in the UK and vice versa. That won't change.

K

KnowleWolf

Our relationship with Benfica means we'll have access to some of their supply line of Brazilian players. That + our academy's strength will give us an edge. Do we still have the links with Indian & US Football that Moxey built?
USA, yes, but India, no

Back
Top Bottom