Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brentford verdict

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON's obsession with using Bellegarde or Neto as our CF in the absence of Hwang has been really, really strange. Don't see the rationale or logic for it.
It’s fairly simple really … he doesn’t have very many options.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We’re never going to win every game, and Brentford are a bugger to play against once they’re a goal up with all their “gamesmanship”.

Theres enough credit in the bank for me to not wet my pants and throw my toys out of the pram though.

Onto the next one - hope cunha’s ok.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted an essay after we won at Chelsea.

Do I want us to lose? Absolutely not. Unlike many who criticise me on here, I actually pay money and give up time to watch Wolves.

Should I have a go back when everything I, and others, warned about comes true within ten days of the window? Without doubt.

By the way, it would be resolved if people like you said 'fair enough, we got it wrong', but you can't. You have to have digs instead.

We have played Brentford 4 times and lost once. We were safe from relegation in January and we are doing better than many thought.
We and many other teams have had their spending curtailed by FFP. We lost today, that is part of football, but in general we are doing well
With respect, losing today doesn't make anyone right or wrong. It is part of football. I don't understand how you can come to a conclusion that people got it wrong, because we lost a match 10 days after the transfer window closed. We schooled Chelsea and lost against a boring Brenford after knocking them out of the cup and beating them 1-4 at their place. We are having a decent season and have played some good football and scored more goals than we often do. Sometimes you lose in football, but it happens to most teams and today it happened to us, but it doesn't define anything.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t get into digging one player out when collectively the all played so poorly.

Not digging him out/… read my other posts, not his fault he is being played so painfully out of position.

But he hasn’t played well in ANY of the recent games there even the ones we won!

Dont blame him or GON for his lack of form…..

I blame Jeff!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have played Brentford 4 times and lost once. We were safe from relegation in January and we are doing better than many thought.
We and many other teams have had their spending curtailed by FFP. We lost today, that is part of football, but in general we are doing well
With respect, losing today doesn't make anyone right or wrong. It is part of football. I don't understand how you can come to a conclusion that people got it wrong, because we lost a match 10 days after the transfer window closed. We schooled Chelsea and lost against a boring Brenford after knocking them out of the cup and beating them 1-4 at their place. We are having a decent season and have played some good football and scored more goals than we often do. Sometimes you lose in football, but it happens to most teams and today it happened to us, but doesn't define anything.

Whooosh…….. you missed the blatantly obvious meaning of his post by a million miles let alone a country one lol.

His point is, we didn’t bring in a senior striker to cover for a potential Cunha or hwang issue with fitness.

Many said it wouldn’t happen.

Then bang it did! 10 days after the window. Playing a CAM painfully out of position and a kid in the role.

We haven’t got adequate cover in the central role, that cannot be denied. It wasn’t addressed

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With respect, losing today doesn't make anyone right or wrong. It is part of football. I don't understand how you can come to a conclusion that people got it wrong, because we lost a match 10 days after the transfer window closed. We schooled Chelsea and lost against a boring Brenford after knocking them out of the cup and beating them 1-4 at their place. We are having a decent season and have played some good football and scored more goals than we often do. Sometimes you lose in football, but it happens to most teams and today it happened to us, but doesn't define anything.

The Cunha injury is the killer.

We are having a great season. But we will fall off badly, in my opinion, because the squad is nowhere near good enough.

Today we had to see how we could cope without our best player and we lost 2-0 and created two proper chances in the entire game.

Do you really think our form won't fall off significantly without Cunha?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure many (any?) people are digging him out. Questioning how he's being used though and his suitability for that......

Sadly some can’t separate saying that from “digging out” the player…..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are having a great season. But we will fall off badly, in my opinion, because the squad is nowhere near good enough.

Today we had to see how we could cope without our best player and we lost 2-0 and created two proper chances in the entire game.

I hope that you are wrong about Cunha's injury as l fear that you are right about probable consequences if he is out for an extended period.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a depressing game of football.

It epitomised so much of what is wrong with the modern game.

Sa really frightens me at times.

VAR sucks. I don’t think that is what it was introduced for or what it is needed for. Christ .. it totally kills me.

I think we are still very much a counter attacking team that struggles against the anti christ of football that is Brentford. We’re just not good enough to fall behind to this type of team and lose two of our best players through injury (Cunha and Hwang).

Oh … and we start home games far too god damn slow. We need more ‘up and at em’ and a Molineux that gets set up from the off.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whooosh…….. you missed the blatantly obvious meaning of his post by a million miles let alone a country one lol.

His point is, we didn’t bring in a senior striker to cover for a potential Cunha or hwang issue with fitness.

Many said it wouldn’t happen.

Then bang it did! 10 days after the window. Playing a CAM painfully out of position and a kid in the role.

We haven’t got adequate cover in the central role, that cannot be denied. It wasn’t addressed

No, I understood his posts. He is taking an isolated result to demonstrate that he is right and other people are wrong, without including the positive results.
Sasa and Fabio have never been the flavour of the month this season, so it isn't like we are worse off with out them. We are safe from relegation and have played pretty decent football this season. We tried to buy a striker, but the agent upped the commission at the last moment, so we carry on playing with what we have and we have done quite well up till now.
I would and am sure everyone wanted us to sign a new striker. I am just saying a loss against Brentford proves nothing. Our over all performances this season is what matters and we are doing fine.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t go as I was fitting a boiler for my sister. Then my usual go-to stream sites kept freezing after two or three seconds….and I think I’ve got a really painful abscess on my ****.
After reading this thread, it now appears the gods were actually being good to me today. Ay life funny!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, I understood his posts. He is taking an isolated result to demonstrate that he is right and other people are wrong, without including the positive results.
Sasa and Fabio have never been the flavour of the month this season, so it isn't like we are worse off with out them. We are safe from relegation and have played pretty decent football this season. We tried to buy a striker, but the agent upped the commission at the last moment, so we carry on playing with what we have and we have done quite well up till now.
I would and am sure everyone wanted us to sign a new striker. I am just saying a loss against Brentford proves nothing. Our over all performances this season is what matters and we are doing fine.

The issue is now we don’t have Fabio or sasa, if they are there they are options.

We let both go, relying on essentially two players in hwang and Neto to stay fit. Something both have struggled with in previous seasons and even missing games to muscle injuries this one.

Then we lose cunha our main central guy on a day we don’t have Hwang, guess why….. because of a muscle issue…..

So we didn’t plan adequately for this easy to see issue coming.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Guess we'll have to see. Everyone thought we'd fall away with Netos injury.

Let's see if Hwang & GON, in particular, can step up again, should Cunha be out for a significant length of time.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without including what positive results?

This is the first time we've been without Cunha and at least one suitable backups. And we lost.

So we're 1/1 so far since the terrible January without Cunha.

Unfortunately, we will have 6-12 weeks I would imagine to test my theory. If we get results without Cunha, I will be wrong and deserve a bit of stick because my criticism of the board will be unjust if it's proven they can cope. Let's hope that happens.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guess we'll have to see. Everyone thought we'd fall away with Netos injury.

Let's see if Hwang & GON, in particular, can step up again, should Cunha be out for a significant length of time.

And we are light a major front line player with ZERO semi decent senior ready central strikers/false 9/CF’s in the squad……

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Sa had done his job and commanded his own 6 yard box , and if Dawson hadn’t given the ball away so cheaply we get a draw out of that
I think Bellegarde is decent. It’s the lack of options in the rest of the team that’s the problem. No focal point up front as I won’t blame the lad Fraser , and why oh why take Gomes off ?
In the summer it’s as obvious as dog *******s to what is needed
Just sort it out because rising ST prices again without improvements on the pitch is a bridge too far

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we are light a major front line player with ZERO semi decent senior ready central strikers/false 9/CF’s in the squad……

I'm fully aware of that & I was one of those who wasn't happy with not getting one in, but we are where we are.

Nowt we can do, let's hope Gaz can figure something out again

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of that & I was one of those who wasn't happy with not getting one in, but we are where we are.

Nowt we can do, let's hope Gaz can figure something out again

We are in an easily forecasted issue…. Sorry but I cannot be so easy going about it!

This is an issue GON doesn’t deserve!

Does Jeff love handicapping our managers out of choice or gross incompetence?

It is one or the other as it is a repeated almost yearly question

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
l
The issue is now we don’t have Fabio or sasa, if they are there they are options.

For me the issue is we lost a match, against a team we knocked out of the cup and beat them 1-4 at their place. It happens and doesn’t demonstrate anything.
We did pretty well without Neto and we beat West Brom on their ground to knock them out the FA cup, for the first time in 75 years and beat Chelsea at their ground for the first time since 1979 without Hwang.
I wanted a new forward, but it was explained by the club why it didn't happen.
My point is, losing today proves nothing, where we are in the table does. That our season is going to collapse and everything is wrong with our owners, is something you have being saying since the beginning of the season. We are doing well, but lost today. That happens in football.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford had 6 shots on target, but only got 2 goals. Can assume the other 4 were saved? Yes, two excellent saves too keep us in it/

Sa wasn't very good. But then plenty were as bad, even worse. If, at 0-1, for example, Ait Nouri could have provided a good cross on the couple of good chances he made, then we could have equalised and the whole match would pan out differently. But his crosses weren't going anywhere near our players today, and no lucky deflection this week. Those are game changing mistakes as much as poor clearances.

Sa does infuriate because he's done it before. Kept us in it. And then landed us in it! I will say that this season, we are seeing goals from mistakes while playing out from the back every week. Goalkeepers who cost 6 times what he did have made them, too. No idea whether he makes them more or less than typical. It felt like he'd been fine for weeks and today was an aberration.
Tbf RAN’s crosses rarely go to our players. I said in the match comms that we are a much better team with him in and his footwork is brilliant, however his final ball and decision making in the final third is pretty awful 9 times out of 10.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in an easily forecasted issue…. Sorry but I cannot be so easy going about it!

Do you mean the record amount of years in the Premier League for over 50 years., which Jeff is responsible for?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you mean the record amount of years in the Premier League for over 50 years., which Jeff is responsible for?

Do you think he has done a good job from the second successive 7th place finish in revamping and freshening up the squad?

Be honest now…….

In his own letter effectively admitted he has failed in this regard… then the fantastic line of we have to see ourselves as a newly promoted side when going into the fifth season…... after 4 years, 2x7th place, and a cup semi and Europa quarter final are only still or now a newly promoted side?????

Sorry the bloke isn’t good at the footballing side of his job!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think he has done a good job from the second successive 7th place finish in revamping and freshening up the squad?

Be honest now…….

He has made us in to an established Premier League club, respected by many and put us back on the map. We are a good team this year and doing much better than you said we would.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think at this stage, the fact it happens so regularly, it's out of choice.

Think our finances are worse than we thought or Jeff just thinks let's see how far I can push this manager.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has made us in to an established Premier League club, respected by many and put us back on the map. We are a good team this year and doing much better than you said we would.

Answer the question asked mate……

Would you say he has done a good job revamping and refreshing the squad over the last few seasons……..

Yet you ignore that you say established, he says to view us as a newly promoted side……
Do you not see the disconnect there??????

The man himself doesn’t see us as an established side…. Explain that then???

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think at this stage, the fact it happens so regularly, it's out of choice.

Think our finances are worse than we thought or Jeff just thinks let's see how far I can push this manager.

The finances run by Jeff who is there because of his skills working for a financial company like fosun????

How is he not seeing these constant issues with budgets that keep moving the goal posts from potential signings to limited/no signings?

Bit worrying he is meant to be a finance guy, yet we had to have an urgent and knee jerk fire sale to avoid FFP punishment, something HE signed up to!!!!!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Answer the question asked mate……

Would you say he has done a good job revamping and refreshing the squad over the last few seasons……..

Yet you ignore that you say established, he says to view us as a newly promoted side……
Do you not see the disconnect there??????

The man himself doesn’t see us as an established side…. Explain that then???

I answered the question. I could only dream of being an established Premier League club for most of my life and having a decent team respected and capable of beating anyone. Jeff is responsible for that, as he would be if we were relegated, so yes he has done a good job.
I think you made so many fatalistic predictions at the beginning of the year that have not materialised, that you jump on any opportunity to say everything is terrible. We lost a match against a team we have beat twice in recent weeks. That isn't the end of the world for me and proves nothing.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I answered the question. I could only dream of being an established Premier League club for most of my life and having a decent team respected and capable of beating anyone. Jeff is responsible for that, as he would be if we were relegated, so yes he has done a good job.
I think you made so many fatalistic predictions at the beginning of the year that have not materialised, that you jump on any opportunity to say everything is terrible. We lost a match against a team we have beat twice in recent weeks. That isn't the end of the world for me and proves nothing.

So why does Jeff say we are to be seen as a newly promoted side when going into the fith, which you say means we are established if he has done a good job?

Newly promoted and established aren’t close in definition…..

You don’t seem to be on the same page as Jeff there matey……

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You ignore that for two seasons no one wanted to watch us and we stank out the league!

GON has worked miracles this season…. That cannot be denied, but this is inspite of Jeff, not because of the help he gets from him!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The finances run by Jeff who is there because of his skills working for a financial company like fosun????

How is he not seeing these constant issues with budgets that keep moving the goal posts from potential signings to limited/no signings?

Bit worrying he is meant to be a finance guy, yet we had to have an urgent and knee jerk fire sale to avoid FFP punishment, something HE signed up to!!!!!

And something he sorted out, which many other teams are doing now.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You didn’t answer the question about how well he has done building the squad and refreshing it……

As even he almost admitted he hasn’t done well in this regard!

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even without Cunha we were the better side offensively but gave 2 goals away. Neto unlucky to hit the post and Dawson unlucky to be fractionally offside, the linesman didn't flag.
Ait Nouri was brilliant today and Gomes worked hard as they all did but unfortunately we got done making silly mistakes under the press. Sa did make a few good stops in amongst the costly errors. Bellegarde looks a little lost, shame I thought he looked great in France, maybe he just doesn't fit with what Gary is asking him to do.
We have done much better without Hwang than I expected but will be happy to see him return when he is fully fit.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And something he sorted out, which many other teams are doing now.

Is it though? Because we sent two well played players out on loan and a few others and we couldn’t bring in ANY central forwards……. Even loans!

I wouldn’t call that finances fixed…..

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You ignore that for two seasons no one wanted to watch us and we stank out the league!

GON has worked miracles this season…. That cannot be denied, but this is inspite of Jeff, not because of the help he gets from him!
He’s got plenty of talented players to choose from though.. just a bit short up front.

We’ve been scoring freely though.. and I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, that we had a couple of targets we wanted that didn’t work out.. and GON didn’t rate the other options.

Hopefully we can make a few necessary signings this summer and give GON even better tools for next season.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh so now I see your logic. You blame Jeff for things you think are wrong, but give credit to other people, when things go right.

Back
Top Bottom