Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brentford verdict

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Poor application by the players, poor tactics by the manager.

Why we kept persisting playing it wide to cross to no one, or to one player hopelessly outgunned in the air.

Movement non existent, tempo in geological time. More predictable than me asking to play 4 at the back.

Where we actually need to upgrade for me is the centre backs and an actual striker who plays in the middle and more importantly is allowed to.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Also noticed that he didn't celebrate with the team after each of their goals. Went straight back to his half. Fair play!
Also chatting to our players and being generally friendly enough at half time. Don't think he's burned any bridges, seems a good lad. Just wish he'd lost today.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
The thing with Bellegarde is… he’s a central midfielder. We bought him to replace Nunes in that hybrid centre mid/left side role and then we changed systems and play him as a winger or false 9.
Absolutely this, he looked good as the centre mid who could drive forward.

We could've done that today, but we didn't. If we have to play 3 at back and wing backs, they provide the width. Then we might actually have people in the area.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had a great season but we will beat Brentford and then lose to them as we are bobbing about mid table .

Either invest and improve the team to move us forward or expect the same again next season.

Not rocket science but how we have not signed a striker is past laughable imo.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing with Sa is that he's a really good shot stopper but often after he's given the ball away. His distribution, either long kicks or short have always been terrible. Move on in the Summer.
He didn’t stop any shots today

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
View attachment 40405

Brentford fans must grow immunity to noticing it when you have to watch it every week.
I didn't think they were too bad, and I imagine we'd do the same or similar if a goal or 2 up at their place. I found the whole "boring boring" chanting a bit cringy, especially when we're losing, they've scored 2 goals, should have scored at least 1 or 2 more in the first half, and we didnt look like scoring if we played them until Monday, with an extra player and they had no goalie. OK might have gone a bit OTT at the end there.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves 0 Craig Dawson 2! Architects of our own downfall. Slow start again! Oh well! Hopefully Cunha is OK.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bad day at the office. To be more consistent we need a forward, two defenders at least and a more consistent goalkeeper than Sa.
In the context of the season, 32 points at this stage is very good, all things considered.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bad day at the office. To be more consistent we need a forward, two defenders at least and a more consistent goalkeeper than Sa.
In the context of the season, 32 points at this stage is very good, all things considered.
Consider some of the teams around us lost. It’s not all bad. All is not lost. Pick ourselves up. We could beat spurs. Unlikely but why not. Will be a very difficult and different game to how Brentford play.

32 points for us at this stage is beyond our expectations. So how do we look at it. We can only try and be better next week. Every team has these sour moments.

Like you say if we can upgrade on Sa in the summer we will win a lot more points

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Consider some of the teams around us lost. It’s not all bad. All is not lost. Pick ourselves up. We could beat spurs. Unlikely but why not. Will be a very difficult and different game to how Brentford play.

32 points for us at this stage is beyond our expectations. So how do we look at it. We can only try and be better next week. Every team has these sour moments.

Like you say if we can upgrade on Sa in the summer we will win a lot more points
The problem is that l don't see us spending the sort of money necessary to seriously upgrade Sa.

Reaction score
Definitely need another forward in the Summer, but the need for at least one centre back is equally as important.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha might just be as important to our team as Toney is to theirs.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Dawson's toenail hadn't been offside (he scored with this head though) we win that game. I hate VAR.

In fact i hate most of modern football and the clueless refs like Hooper.And above all else I hate cheating, diving, time-wasting, ****-housing Brentford and their Mickey Mouse manager. I sincerely hope they go down.

Otherwise meh. We looked knackered from the off. Hope Cunha is ok.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As I watched this unfold, I thought "I have seen this before". When he took Toti off for Fraser, we lost our structure and everyone started getting in each others' way, with no clarity on who was playing where. By the end it was clear we had repeated the same mistakes as two years ago when Lage took off Saiss, Marcal and Semedo for Podence, Fabio and Hwang.

Screenshot_20240210_183257_Chrome.jpg

Sometimes I wish there was more corporate memory in our backroom staff because the fans have already learnt this lesson. Ending the game with our only recognised RWB playing LWB and Kilman at RB showed the Lage-esque muddled thinking today.

Key to Gary's success so far has been consistency. Today he tinkered too much- hopefully he will have learned a lesson.

Last edited:

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd sell Sa in the Summer if the Saudi interest is still there and get someone in who is more comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Who would you bring in just out of interest. Not saying Sa is amazing but for me I would prefer a striker to be signed ahead of a goal keeper.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree Sa had one of his brain fart games, but Dawson was punished for one mistake. The problem throughout was the lack of a central threat once Cunha went off. There were plenty of decent balls into the box that Bellegarde of all people was expected to get on the end of. Mainly though, we had to slow the play down, go backwards, let their low block settle, because there was no one between the sticks. Brentford on the other hand have one chance in the second half, and it's Toney of course putting himself in the right position to score. Sobering stuff today, because we otherwise didn't play badly.
Dawson was at fault for both goals. Awful marking for the first, crap pass for the second

Overall no, we didn't play badly (going forward and controlling the game at least), but we repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot and could have conceded many more than the two we did

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you bring in just out of interest. Not saying Sa is amazing but for me I would prefer a striker to be signed ahead of a goal keeper.
We will go for striker and a keeper

Not sure who we could get too much choice

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Horrible side, Brentford, anti football, diving, etc etc.
Anyway, typical Wolves, from the fantastic game last Sunday to this.
Most points already raised, but imo Doyle is class, has great vision and can pass the ball with real intelligence. I love Gomes too, and Lemina.
How can we play these 3 together? Need a better football brain than mine, but if we could, I think that's a top class midfield.
I hope Cunha isn't out for long.
We will beat Spurs.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
If ever a club beat themselves it was us today. Atmosphere flat as a witches tit from the off. Team unable to get going. Semedo after some good play neededlessy giving away a corner which was then defended terribly (that's 3 games in a row we've conceded from a corner). Totally deflated by a tight but correct VAR call. And a comedy 2nd goal originating from a straight ball out from Sa to a player running towards him which had already directly coughed up 2 or 3 very presentable chances to the opposition. Neto overplaying every time. JRB never getting into it. Sarabia summed it up with his bizzare foul throw.

Easily one of our worst performances of the season and a reminder of why we are still short of seriously challenging for a European spot. The thing is with this team, they can lose to anyone and beat anyone, it's infuriatingly inconsistent. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we turn Spurs over next week.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
If ever a club beat themselves it was us today. Atmosphere flat as a witches tit from the off. Team unable to get going. Semedo after some good play neededlessy giving away a corner which was then defended terribly (that's 3 games in a row we've conceded from a corner). Totally deflated by a tight but correct VAR call. And a comedy 2nd goal originating from a straight ball out from Sa to a player running towards him which had already directly coughed up 2 or 3 very presentable chances to the opposition. Neto overplaying every time. JRB never getting into it. Sarabia summed it up with his bizzare foul throw.

Easily one of our worst performances of the season and a reminder of why we are still short of seriously challenging for a European spot. The thing is with this team, they can lose to anyone and beat anyone, it's infuriatingly inconsistent. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we turn Spurs over next week.
Atmosphere was awful today from the start

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Is Lemina now banned, 10 bookings?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So my take is.

Two awful mistakes from Dawson got punished, but that shouldn't mask the overall poor performance.

I know most went with the 'don't change a winning team' cliché, but that's twice we've made that mistake. Man U at home wasn't Albion away and Brentford at home isn't Chelsea away. Moan at Sa if you like, he's poor with the ball at his feet, but they played a good high press, and most teams would go long, but we simply don't have that option. Neto as a central player doesn't work, yes he pulled wide last week and ran at Chilwell, but that was a great one off tactic, not a way to play. When Cunha went off we got Bellegarde there, but he also offers little in that position.

So credit O'Neil on actually changing it at half time (when we were lucky to be just one behind). The 4231 looked better and we had a decent go, but the disallowed goal and their second just seemed to be a comeback too far for us. Why he didn't switch Neto and Bellegarde I don't know, can only think I'm missing something, because Neto looked most dangerous on the left before half time today for me.

Hardly anyone comes out with much credit today. Awful game, awful performance, awful ref. Credit their small following for making a good noise for their numbers from the quadrant.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
What a horrible team Brentford are.

Imagine having to watch that rubbish every week.
Feels like we have lately! Any chance of a points dejection and they can go down?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor application by the players, poor tactics by the manager.

Why we kept persisting playing it wide to cross to no one, or to one player hopelessly outgunned in the air.

Movement non existent, tempo in geological time. More predictable than me asking to play 4 at the back.

Where we actually need to upgrade for me is the centre backs and an actual striker who plays in the middle and more importantly is allowed to.
I’m not sure we were persisting in playing it wide. I think Brentford let us, even encouraged us to play wide because they were content we had no threat from crosses…

Back
Top Bottom