Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bournemouth Verdict Thread - Up the Gary !

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it was a poor performance but you'll take the result all day long. I think it was like Southampton last season. Bournemouth lost it more then we won it.

Doherty looks finished at this level. 3 year contract too!!

Gomes and Traore together lack discipline. Both want to be the one running out to press and not hold the shape. Need Lemina or Doyle to be one of them.

Doyle has good vision. He'll lose the ball but he'll get us into positions to create chances. Got something their.

I thought Hwang had a poor game. I think the crowd got to him.

Cunha was poor in the first half but much better in the 2nd.

Neto is incredible.
Too many times Doherty and Traore, first half especially, just messed the pass up which slowed play down and ultimately brought pressure on us. RAN generally was awful 1st half, gave the ball away numerous times and passed it to team mates in trouble. Comms were saying Cunha body language was wrong, throwing his hands up alot, hopefully the goal will bring confidence, it was a super finish.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Was dreading the drive back at half time.

Doyle changed and was bossing the midfield when he came on even before the sending off. Plays the ball forward and quickly too.

Deserved the win. I think we would have won it even 11 v 11. We were coming on strong in the 2nd half.

Great result and full credit to being proactive and making the changes.

Need Sarabia to sort his **** out.

So pleased for Sasa. Top guy.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
Sending off was spot on. Didn’t like the way Hwang milked it but it’s football not rugby. Great win.
The red card was the right decision based on the intent I agree.

I was more annoyed by the initial tackle on Hwang - the player had no intention / capability to win the ball in the position he was in and its effectively a kick out in frustration disguised as a tackle. The follow on from that leading to a red was karma.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was a poor performance but you'll take the result all day long. I think it was like Southampton last season. Bournemouth lost it more then we won it.

Gomes and Traore together lack discipline. Both want to be the one running out to press and not hold the shape. Need Lemina or Doyle to be one of them.

Doyle has good vision. He'll lose the ball but he'll get us into positions to create chances. Got something their.

Neto is incredible.
We won and were not half as bad as you have made out

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Neto is incredible.
Cunha was great. Such a good player!

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What’s happened to Jonny? If doherty wasn’t fit, why didn’t he play?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we didn't play well, stupidly started off by changing formation then managed to get a bit of control back switching to a setup we have proved we are more effective at. While I do think we deserved the win, we made very hard work of it against a very poor team who played a long time with 10 men.

Make no mistake though, this is a massive win for us and GON. For doubters of him like myself, it's wins like these that make me step back a bit and gives that bit more time to see how he develops. You can't do that if you aren't beating the worst sides in the league. Still not convinced by him, as I wasn't by Lage even when he was doing well, but at least if we keep doing this you can have a bit more breathing room to see our direction.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is absolutely awful at the bottom of the league, even worse than I thought it was going to be. We could be half way to what will be a safe points tally already!

I cant remember the last time there were so many bad sides. Bournemouth and Sheffield United are absolutely awful teams, they are both nailed on for relegation. Sheffield especially i think will be lucky to get 15 points tbh. Burnley and Luton are basically the type of teams that give decent accounts of themselves but are nothing more than plucky losers. Sadly, i think Everton a slight step up from those 4 and should be safe.

Last edited:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is absolutely awful at the bottom of the league, even worse than I thought it was going to be. We could be half way to what will be a safe points tally already!
Steady on now !

First have there was space everywhere and RAN didn’t know if he was left back or left midfield so ended up being neither hence their goal. GON was probably trying to outthink the opposition but ended up overthinking it and as a result we looked a mush mash first half. Doyle changed the tempo and looked very good. Cunha sucked first half as he wasn’t playing centrally as a nine. He looked off it. He hit an **** kick at half time, pushed 10 yards forward and hey presto gets a goal. Great finish

Eventually Sasacame on. I don’t understand how or why against the team who have conceded more from set pieces than any other over two seasons , why when you have a 6ft 7 centre forward you don’t bring him on? They were scared ****less!
Never mind. 3 points and a decent second half. Happy for a usual 1 1 v the geordies

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sending off was spot on. Didn’t like the way Hwang milked it but it’s football not rugby. Great win.

I thought it was embarrassing how he went down. It was a red, but i dont like the play acting to get people sent off, its as bad as Podence. Sadly, its a blight on the modern game.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was embarrassing how he went down. It was a red, but i dont like the play acting to get people sent off, its as bad as Podence. Sadly, its a blight on the modern game.

Unfortunately as others noted, without his reaction, there’s a good chance no action would have been taken. God know how many times we’ve been on the receiving end of such theatrics, so until we have better officiating, then play the game we must.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately as others noted, without his reaction, there’s a good chance no action would have been taken. God know how many times we’ve been on the receiving end of such theatrics, so until we have better officiating, then play the game we must.

I dont disagree, i cant stand it though. It makes me think a little less of every player that does it but as you say, we have to play the same game.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was brilliant personally. Podence would go down with a stiff breeze, the Bournemouth player made contact with Hwang's face. Hwang wound him up, the player chopped him down so Hwang springs up and gives him just enough to make him bite. Winning the mental game is almost as important as winning physical battles.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I
I thought it was embarrassing how he went down. It was a red, but i dont like the play acting to get people sent off, its as bad as Podence. Sadly, its a blight on
I also dont like the ott reactions but unfortunately everyone does it and gets away with it. If you don't do it you lose out I'm afraid.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure if this is positive or negative but we are by far the best **** team in the league. Comfortable midtable and Gary deserves credit for steadying the ship. Boards gamble of little investment and selling best players to maximise profit justified?

bully306

Reaction score

If only Sarabia would have gone to the floor when he got squared up to. Could have been another red. Hwang is a much smarter player.

Sarabia is just lost in every way, his experience counts for little either. I think hes a bit of a plank and obviously too lightweight, just not suited for the prem at all. Would sell him in Jan.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this is positive or negative but we are by far the best **** team in the league. Comfortable midtable and Gary deserves credit for steadying the ship. Boards gamble of little investment and selling best players to maximise profit justified?

If we have a half decent season we will. I'm a little more confident right now we will be ok but thats more down to the lack of quality of at least 4 other teams. However, i dont think having a strategy of just looking to stay in the league and make profits is one that will bring success.

Last edited:

bully306

Reaction score
I

I also dont like the ott reactions but unfortunately everyone does it and gets away with it. If you don't do it you lose out I'm afraid.
Exactly and all the better to do it against bournemouth.

Hwang does go down easy but its more tolerable than watching podence, he was hopeless at the dark arts.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was brilliant personally. Podence would go down with a stiff breeze, the Bournemouth player made contact with Hwang's face. Hwang wound him up, the player chopped him down so Hwang springs up and gives him just enough to make him bite. Winning the mental game is almost as important as winning physical battles.

I dont think it was brilliant, same as i didnt think that what that Luton player did to Bellegarde was brilliant. He would have been sent off without the theatrics anyway.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps he could have stayed on his feet and just taking a step back with a hand to his mouth, but this feels like splitting hairs to me. That was exactly the motion that gets you sent off when you go chest to chest. The contact was genuine. Getting a bump in the nose/teeth is stunning for anyone who isn't a boxer or something.

I don't particularly blame Hwang for defending himself and squaring up after that ridiculous challenge, but that is 4 yellow cards for him on the season now....

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We weren't great, but it was a game Bournemouth were going to be up for as well and I think fatigue played it's part on both sides. From our perspective, Hwang and Cunha just weren't occupying defenders and making the runs they had been previously, and the first half generally was quite poor with little tempo or rhythm. Wasn't a game for João Gomes either, who struggled with the pace of the game at times.

Defensively we look quite solid but often our back five thinks it's a back four, with the free centre half not moving across leaving the full back unsure whether to pick up his man or the runner. It's the bi-product of shifting to a different system - some stuff might look better but at the same time there will be times when there's confusion. We would do well to try and iron that out sooner rather than later.

Neto again carried us for much of the game. What a player.

Delighted for Sasa and his goal, because without it I just didn't see us scoring. For all our possession and positive play, we didn't really look especially dangerous even with Bournemouth down to ten, and even managed to try and balls it up a few times before the final whistle. Fair play to O'Neil though today - his changes did improve us, other than Sarabia who just tries too hard and ends up being a bit of a liability. Tommy Doyle decent though - lacks a bit of pace at this level, but his passing was more direct and incisive and at least gave Bournemouth something different to think about.

Still, 11 points and up to 12th, nobody should be disappointed with that after the calamitous pre-season Fosun served up. Wasn't pretty today but the points at the end of the season are the most important thing.

Back
Top Bottom