Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Boss claims fan backing

S

scottishwolf II

Like the comment from Essex Wolf...a different one to ours perhaps....

L

Langdale Wolf

Well I was at Stourbridge and was one of the people in question who shook his hand and told him I was still 100% behind him. He came across as a top bloke who very much cares for the club.

There are still some of us out there. Somewhere.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is this guy on? With each daily utterance his credibilty slips that bit further, so much so that it cannot slip any further. What a cretin.

O

Oldgoldwulf

He is right to an extent... everyone is not 'against him'...

I'd suggest he is WAY out with his figures though.

I know probably 30 odd Wolves fans as good friends - through work, my footie team, mates at the match.

Out of them i'd say that 80% want him out... some of them reluctantly but all the same there are very very few who have said 'stick with Mick'.

And i've had this very conversation with ALL of them.

Also if you look at this forum... i'd say the majority now want him out or have very little confidence in him to turn this around.

And i'm just being honest - not trying to twist the facts to fit any 'agenda'.

F

fenella

proof that the bloke has completely lost the plot.

How do you know 80% aren't behind him? No-one's asked me my opinion, or the opinion of the two blokes I go with. So that's at least 3 out 18,000 STHs unaccounted for. Then again no-one asked me if I wanted Paul Ince to be manager but he tells me I wanted him.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you know 80% aren't behind him? No-one's asked me my opinion, or the opinion of the two blokes I go with. So that's at least 3 out 18,000 STHs unaccounted for. Then again no-one asked me if I wanted Paul Ince to be manager but he tells me I wanted him.
An E&S poll said, from memory, that over 70% of those polled wanted Ince in the summer of 2006.

W

Wulfhere

Well he has my backing. We are on a poor trot at the moment but the manager needs time to sort it out. He has made mistakes but to be honest the only people who do not make mistakes are the ones who do nothing. Sacking the manager every time the team has a poor run of form is a recipe for disaster. Sacking the manager now, half way through the transfer window, would serve no useful purpose as he would not be in a position to change anything. I think I read in the Stan Cullis book that it took him 4 years to get the players to play his system effectively and consistently. This time span appears to be a very similar time scale to how long it took Alex Ferguson to turn United round. It would be absolute folly to sack the manager at this junction.

F

Flitwick Wolf

The majority of fans are unhappy with the way things are. That doesn't mean for one minute that the majority of the fans want to sack the manager.

Alot of fans want Mick to turn this around himself rather than getting in another manager to try and do it.

Difference being, these fans don't rant about it in every conversation, every internet forum thread or every telephone chat line they have about the club, and thus do not get heard as much.

T

Tuco

Going to the home games and sitting in the southbank, MM still has the backing of most fans, as there hasn't been any concerted calls for his sacking.

There's a lot of frustration that's for sure but all that takes is a turn around in form. It could go either way, I think MM is lucky in that there isn't a home game for a while.

J

JR's Boots

I would assume a lot of fans are like myself, neither in the "McCarthy forever" camp and the "McCarthy out" camp, but rather in the "Sort it out and get a grip McCarthy" camp.

The third way indeed!

F

Flitwick Wolf

An E&S poll said, from memory, that over 70% of those polled wanted Ince in the summer of 2006.

Do you really think that 70% of Wolves faithfull wanted Ince? I don't, particularly after the way he treated the club summer after summer. Paper polls and tv polls are for people who have $$$$ all to spend their free text messages on or spare lunch minutes on.

However, the way he is going now, that %age may be more realistic, but not at the time IMO.

A

Anglian Wolf

From the article:

McCarthy says the kneejerk-style criticism via the electronic media cuts little ice with him.

“That 20 per cent are the ones who make all the noise and put on the blogs and ring the phone-ins,” added.

...............the 80 or 90 per cent who really want me to be a success here."

I happen to think he's right.

sjonnie

Reaction score
From the article:

McCarthy says the kneejerk-style criticism via the electronic media cuts little ice with him.

“That 20 per cent are the ones who make all the noise and put on the blogs and ring the phone-ins,†added.

...............the 80 or 90 per cent who really want me to be a success here."

I happen to think he's right.

I think every Wolves fan would want him to be a success - it's just that the majority know he's not up to the task.

Did he mention the shocking standard of football being played by any chance?

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
I've just read the article as well. I reckon MM is right. The majority of folks around me are not calling for his head - they, like him, just want to see him put it right!

Dougal McGuire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Wolves fan I personally know wanted Ince. I think it was himself doing the voting.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Famous Grouch

Maybe fans need to influence the manager rather than have him sacked. He's experienced, he wants to win, he has injuries he has to contend with, he doesn't have a settled team. Old fogies will remember the debate for selection between the great Peter Knowles and David Burnside. The manager wanted a team player and the fans wanted sublime skills. At the end of the day it's just a matter of opinion.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he has my backing. We are on a poor trot at the moment but the manager needs time to sort it out. He has made mistakes but to be honest the only people who do not make mistakes are the ones who do nothing. Sacking the manager every time the team has a poor run of form is a recipe for disaster. Sacking the manager now, half way through the transfer window, would serve no useful purpose as he would not be in a position to change anything. I think I read in the Stan Cullis book that it took him 4 years to get the players to play his system effectively and consistently. This time span appears to be a very similar time scale to how long it took Alex Ferguson to turn United round. It would be absolute folly to sack the manager at this junction.

Agree 100%.

And isn't hindsight brilliant re Ince?

F

fenella

Well, analysing this thread (and I'm assuming this thread is just as accurate as an E&S text poll), it would seem that about 78% of fans want him to stay and sort things out. So I'd say McCarthy is right, Polish Wolf has lost the plot and Woburn Wolf is a cretin. Although I'll probably change my mind when I analyse the next thread.

J

jlovatt

i'll just put my hand up for mick to stay aswell. surprised this didn't turn into ANOTHER poll!

M

Markwolf

I want him to turn it round, for his sake as well as ours. He deserves the chance after what he brought back to the club last season.

S

SaleWolf

The guy is deluded.

Only 10-20% of fans are against him.

I don't think so. Swap the figures around and you've hit the nail on the head.

I would say at least 80% of fans want him gone.

P

Paul76

I'm confident that MM and Wolves will ram the drivel back down the mouths of the idiots.

N

N. Herts Wolf

apropos of nothing, I notice that milton keynes is a mere 8 miles from woburn.

D

Duffman

80% want him gone? Nonsense. 80% are unhappy at how the team are currently performing? Perhaps. No sense in getting rid of Mick now as has been said, with just 2 weeks left in transfer window. Give him a chance, all it will take is one good performance and confidence will return. Remember what a young side we have, confidence is a brittle thing in a team so young. I'm as unhappy as anyone in certain tactics and players in positions, hopefully the new signings in January will add depth to what was a threadbare squad in certain areas.

F

Flitwick Wolf

The guy is deluded.

Only 10-20% of fans are against him.

I don't think so. Swap the figures around and you've hit the nail on the head.

I would say at least 80% of fans want him gone.

You start singing "I want McCarthy out" at the next home game and see if 80% of the fans join in with you.

H

Hatch End Wolf

Mick's clearly wrong on his percentages ( and how would he know anyway? ).

There are a number of fans who will support Mick to the bitter end and generally they are the sort who always the manager of the day ( even Hodgod ).

A similar number never liked him but generally don't like whoever the manager is anyway. However every defeat and/or poor display increases the anti-Mick movement and in my opinion there are now more antis than Mick fans.

The remaining majority are at a tipping point. More rubbish from the team over the next 2-3 games and whether Mick is good manager having a spell of bad luck, or is just not the man for Wolves, he will be gone.

N

N. Herts Wolf

80% want him gone? Nonsense. 80% are unhappy at how the team are currently performing? Perhaps. No sense in getting rid of Mick now as has been said, with just 2 weeks left in transfer window. Give him a chance, all it will take is one good performance and confidence will return. Remember what a young side we have, confidence is a brittle thing in a team so young. I'm as unhappy as anyone in certain tactics and players in positions, hopefully the new signings in January will add depth to what was a threadbare squad in certain areas.

You're forgetting some of the basic rules:-
You can't be unhappy with the current performance and not want the manager out.
If you don't want the manager out then you're a happy clapper, (because life is black and white, it's easier that way).
You can take as long as you like to build a Team as long as we're in the UEFA Cup by this time next year.
If you don't think we should win every game you're not a proper fan, in fact you're a loser, you have a loser's mentality and you are wholly to blame for a crippling lack of ambition which has blighted our club for over 40 years.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does that prove - start singing `Mick please Stay` and I expect even less will join in...

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You start singing "I want McCarthy out" at the next home game and see if 80% of the fans join in with you.

What does that prove - start singing `Mick please Stay` and I expect even less will join in...

S

SaleWolf

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

What a load of tosh.

The youth of the team has nothing to do with it. Mccarthy has bought the wrong players, not bought in the right areas and plays the wrong players with the wrong tactics.

The confidence is low i'll give you that but its nothing Mccarthys not brought on himself. What makes you think that 1 win will make everything rosy again?

The fact is that its Mccarthys fault we haven't won in 8 games. He relied on one player to create the chances and he's now been injured for over 2 months. He won't play Jarvis and he won;t start Eastwood.

I go to nearly every match and its generally the fans who go week in, week out who want him gone.

To answer Flitwick. No i don't think the fans will call for his head because i think the fans respect Mccarthy for what he did last year. That doesn't mean that after the final whistle the majority are not calling for his head on phone-ins, this website and in their private homes and the pub.

He has to go.

T

The Vicar

If I had to nail my colours I would say stick with him. I don't buy this garbage about "last season he was lucky". Like many clubs before, and certainly verytime we have failed in the play-offs we have struggled this season. With width on both sides as last season, I see no reason why we cannot get into the play-offs this season.

H

Hatch End Wolf

Why do happy claps ( ie. Paul76 ) refer to everyone else,, who doesn't share their viewpoint as idiots?

It could be that they are of superior intellect..........or......er....maybe it's just easy to insult people over the internet when face to face it would result in a smack!

F

Flitwick Wolf

What I am trying to say SaleWolf is that people who ring phone lines ring to have a moan, that it what you hear. People who want McCarthy to sort it out, don't ring the lines.

And to answer Astraltrader, start singing "One Mick McCarthy" and more will join in, yes.

We all want to get better but 80% do not want him sacked. When thousands of fans are chanting for Mick to be sacked, not a dozen or so, only then will most sane people think as much as 80% of fans want him sacked.

Some of you I think are getting confused with fans that are unhappy and may boo at the end of a game and fans that want him sacked. There is a difference.

S

SaleWolf

What I am trying to say SaleWolf is that people who ring phone lines ring to have a moan, that it what you hear. People who want McCarthy to sort it out, don't ring the lines.

And to answer Astraltrader, start singing "One Mick McCarthy" and more will join in, yes.

We all want to get better but 80% do not want him sacked. When thousands of fans are chanting for Mick to be sacked, not a dozen or so, only then will most sane people think as much as 80% of fans want him sacked.

Some of you I think are getting confused with fans that are unhappy and may boo at the end of a game and fans that want him sacked. There is a difference.

I partially agree and partially disagree.

I don't think the fans would all sing together for Mccarthy to be sacked even if we lose the next 3 games in a row.

What i'm getting at is that the fans respect Mccarthy and therefore would not call for his head as one no matter how bad it was getting.

Hoddle, Mcghee and Taylor did not have the respect of the fans and their head was vocally called for.

I don't however remember many fans signing we want Jonesy out when Dave Jones got the boot. Respect is the reason imo.

The majority wanted Jones out just like we do Mccarthy but i think the football and the poor results will get Mccarthy sacked just liked Jones, not the 'vocal' fans.

H

Hatch End Wolf

North Herts: A fan is far more likely to know the opinions of other fans than the club manager. The manager lives in another world generally isolated from the majority of fans except on match days.

I am a fan who attends matches. I have friends and relations who are Wolves fans so I know what they are thinking. Therefore, I know more about the subject than the manager. FACT!

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why do happy claps ( ie. Paul76 ) refer to everyone else,, who doesn't share their viewpoint as idiots?

Same way that some of the doom merchants claim that they care more about the club than the happy claps I suppose

I think the majority of fans are in neither camp, they are in the middle, hacked off with the way things are but still hoping or believing that MM will turn it around

N

N. Herts Wolf

North Herts: A fan is far more likely to know the opinions of other fans than the club manager. The manager lives in another world generally isolated from the majority of fans except on match days.

I am a fan who attends matches. I have friends and relations who are Wolves fans so I know what they are thinking. Therefore, I know more about the subject than the manager. FACT!

Thanks, I consider that to be a full and detailed answer to my question. I will now defer to you on all fan-related matters.........

........ unless I, or another fan, were to hold a contrary opinion to yours of course, in which case I would be cast into a bewildering maelstrom of confusion and despair.

Back
Top Bottom