Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bobby Mason - still going strong!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of our oldest surviving former players is 86 years young today.

Bobby Mason played 146 times for Wolves, scoring 44 goals between 1954-62. I started watching Wolves in 1963, so I just missed watching him play. Can any of the more mature folk on here recall seeing him play? He must be one of our oldest surviving players

Happy birthday Sir. I hope you have had a great birthday with many more to come.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Bobby! Looking at those dates he must have played for one of the all-time great Wolves sides.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Bobby Mason played 146 times for Wolves, scoring 44 goals between 1954-62. I started watching Wolves in 1963, so I just missed watching him play. Can any of the more mature folk on here recall seeing him play? He must be one of our oldest surviving players

Happy birthday Sir. I hope you have had great birthday with many more to come.
Never saw him play but obviously I know quite a bit about his time here

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Happy birthday Sir. I hope you have had a great birthday with many more to come.
Just before my time as well Frank but wishing a very Happy Birthday to Bobby Mason.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
86 is a good age and it would be interesting to see which surviving Wolves players are older than him

oldun

Reaction score
Just before my time as well Frank but wishing a very Happy Birthday to Bobby Mason.
I'm old enough to have seen him play. He was something of an Andy Mutch-type finisher, except that he probably missed three chances for every one he put away. I still recall with amusement a headline in the Sporting Star shortly before we played Barcelona in the European Cup: 'Mason Warns Barcelona'. We lost 9-2 on aggregate over two legs.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I never saw him either, we have the same time frame. My brother in law (15 years older than me), called him a "teddy boy", loved him as a player though.
It's weird how such innocuous things stick in your memory.

Gromit

Reaction score
Part of that great forward line when I was a kid....
Deeley, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Horne.
Wasn't it him who was controversially dropped for the 1960 Cup final in favour of Barry Stobart?

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of that great forward line when I was a kid....
Deeley, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Horne.
Wasn't it him who was controversially dropped for the 1960 Cup final in favour of Barry Stobart?
You are correct there, although there didn't appear to be any reason to drop him. Stobart had a good final, but I am sure Bobby would have done as well!

The forward line that I remember was probably just before yours...
Deeley, Broadbent, Murray, Mason, Mullen.

Happy birthday Bobby and thanks for the memories! :D

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm old enough to have seen him play. He was something of an Andy Mutch-type finisher, except that he probably missed three chances for every one he put away. I still recall with amusement a headline in the Sporting Star shortly before we played Barcelona in the European Cup: 'Mason Warns Barcelona'. We lost 9-2 on aggregate over two legs.
...and that Barcelona side had a midfielder called Luis Suarez who makes every Suarez after him look like a complete amateur. He was just fantastic. They also had Sandor Kocsis from the great Hungarian side of the mid 50s.

Quite a thrashing for us, by one heck of a good side!

Gromit

Reaction score
You are correct there, although there didn't appear to be any reason to drop him. Stobart had a good final, but I am sure Bobby would have done as well!

Yeah you're right JR. My dad started taking me in '59. I never saw Mullen play.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That is not the worst forward line that Wolves have ever put out...

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even in the 60s we were doing the oppositions team talk form them.

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Mason was a decent player but not as good as the other forwards. Always a target for the boo boys--shows that even when all your players are good, the weakest will get picked on. His body language was a bit negative and that is maybe why he got victimised by the fans. Stobart was in better form prior to the Cup Final along with some other young players such as Gerry Mannion, who was not picked for the final. Neither quite realised their potential although Stobart had a couple of good seasons. Skilfull and had a great jump but a bit slow.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw him loads of times. On his day a decent Johnny-on-the-spot goalscorer, but really an average player made to look better by the great players around him. He played for us in the truly golden period. It was a very big surprise when he was dropped for the Cup Final, but I think he was one of the players 'punished' by Cullis for the stumbles in the league on the run in which cost us the title in 59-60. Never the same after that, and never did much after leaving Wolves.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...and that Barcelona side had a midfielder called Luis Suarez who makes every Suarez after him look like a complete amateur. He was just fantastic. They also had Sandor Kocsis from the great Hungarian side of the mid 50s.

Quite a thrashing for us, by one heck of a good side!
The other half back was Gensana. He was bloody good as well!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is pleasant to hear from people who saw Bobby Mason play. From the comments made I get the impression that he was a decent enough player, if not quite at the level of those around him.

Having said that, he must have had something to play 144 times for the '50's team.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is pleasant to hear from people who saw Bobby Mason play. From the comments made I get the impression that he was a decent enough player, if not quite at the level of those around him.

Having said that, he must have had something to play 144 times for the '50's team.
One particular game he shone in was the 6th Round FA Cup game in 1960 away at Leicester, who were an excellent team and who did the league double over us. It was a great battling performance on a mud bath of a pitch which we won 2-1. By far the toughest tie in our run which concluded with the 3-0 win over Blackburn in the Final. I think he scored the winner in that Leicester game.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading through this thread, I take it that Ron Stockin is the oldest surviving Wolves player.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One particular game he shone in was the 6th Round FA Cup game in 1960 away at Leicester, who were an excellent team and who did the league double over us. It was a great battling performance on a mud bath of a pitch which we won 2-1. By far the toughest tie in our run which concluded with the 3-0 win over Blackburn in the Final. I think he scored the winner in that Leicester game.
With the Doog in the enemy camp (re the Final)!

Ron Flowers was the last surviving member from that cup-winning team, so all sadly gone now.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the Doog in the enemy camp (re the Final)!

Ron Flowers was the last surviving member from that cup-winning team, so all sadly gone now.
It always annoys me that the commentator for that final kept on referring to the Doog as "Duggan".

Andy Keogh

Reaction score
I saw him loads of times. On his day a decent Johnny-on-the-spot goalscorer, but really an average player made to look better by the great players around him. He played for us in the truly golden period. It was a very big surprise when he was dropped for the Cup Final, but I think he was one of the players 'punished' by Cullis for the stumbles in the league on the run in which cost us the title in 59-60. Never the same after that, and never did much after leaving Wolves.
Subjective view there "being punished by Cullis". Rather view the penalty miss by Eddie Clamp in a 3 - 3 draw at home to Charlton as a defining point that cost the team the " Double" . Eddie played in the Final so did not receive the punishment you allude to.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Subjective view there "being punished by Cullis". Rather view the penalty miss by Eddie Clamp in a 3 - 3 draw at home to Charlton as a defining point that cost the team the " Double" . Eddie played in the Final so did not receive the punishment you allude to.
Charlton?! They weren't even in the top division! We drew 3-3 with Bolton after being 3-0 up -- is that what you are referring to? Of course my view is subjective -- just like yours is.

We did play Charlton -- but it was in the Cup, 4th round at Molineux Won 2-1. I was there.

Get your facts right.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Local lad from Tipton, like Bully.

In 1960 Wolves virtually handed Burnley the league title by losing their last home game to Spurs. Cullis decided to change/freshen up things for the last game-away at Stamford Bridge, bringing in Stobart. We put five past Chelsea & Cullis kept the same team for the Cup Final. Mason & Eddie Stuart approached him, but he didn't elaborate on his decision.
(Info from Steve Gordos' biography of Peter Broadbent. Incidentally Gordos said he wrote to Dave Whelan asking him to publically correct his mis-remembering of the Deeley incident & the attendant slur. Weasely'un never had the decency to reply.)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Local lad from Tipton, like Bully.

In 1960 Wolves virtually handed Burnley the league title by losing their last home game to Spurs. Cullis decided to change/freshen up things for the last game-away at Stamford Bridge, bringing in Stobart. We put five past Chelsea & Cullis kept the same team for the Cup Final. Mason & Eddie Stuart approached him, but he didn't elaborate on his decision.
(Info from Steve Gordos' biography of Peter Broadbent. Incidentally Gordos said he wrote to Dave Whelan asking him to publically correct his mis-remembering of the Deeley incident & the attendant slur. Weasely'un never had the decency to reply.)
We didn't 'hand the title to Burnley'-- Spurs totally outplayed us and won 3-1. Adding insult to injury -- they beat us 5-1 in the reverse fixture at WHL. The real damage was done over Easter, losing 0-1 at Newcastle and drawing 0-0 away with Forest, both mid-table sides.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't 'hand the title to Burnley'-- Spurs totally outplayed us and won 3-1. Adding insult to injury -- they beat us 5-1 in the reverse fixture at WHL. The real damage was done over Easter, losing 0-1 at Newcastle and drawing 0-0 away with Forest, both mid-table sides.
Amazingly, three games played in 4 days over that Easter, including the trip to Newcastle. They really knew how to separate the men from the boys in those days.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazingly, three games played in 4 days over that Easter, including the trip to Newcastle. They really knew how to separate the men from the boys in those days.
were still doing that in the 60s,played Sat. afternoon,easter monday afternoon and tuesday night.
Night matches were 7.30pm kick off,10 min.half time break.
I could travel 50 miles home and get back in time to see the goals at 10.30 on ITV.
There will be people on here who will remember playing Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
were still doing that in the 60s,played Sat. afternoon,easter monday afternoon and tuesday night.
Night matches were 7.30pm kick off,10 min.half time break.
I could travel 50 miles home and get back in time to see the goals at 10.30 on ITV.
There will be people on here who will remember playing Christmas Day and Boxing Day
As recently as December 1980 we played Forest at home on the 26th, lost 4-1. Played Man City away on the 27th, lost 4-0. :mad:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was the norm back then. Same at Christmas time, 3 games in 4 or 5 days. The last year anybody in the top tier played on Christmas Day was 1956, IIRC. But there were games on Boxing Day until quite recently.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Charlton?! They weren't even in the top division! We drew 3-3 with Bolton after being 3-0 up -- is that what you are referring to? Of course my view is subjective -- just like yours is.

We did play Charlton -- but it was in the Cup, 4th round at Molineux Won 2-1. I was there.

Get your facts right.
Correction: the 3-3 was with Preston, not Bolton (and certainly not Charlton, who weren't even in the top division).

Back
Top Bottom