Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Blues (Takeover)

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JUst read this, now whilst I know Blues are not everyones cup of tea, it seems they are finally going to get some reputable owners after years of having owners of shall we say "ill repute" Birmingham City takeover: US hedge fund complete deal with plans to build new stadium
It should make interesting viewing watching who comes out on top between the Blue TeamS of Birmingham after all Handsworth is part of Brum ;) as is Smethwick it certainly aint black country, I see they are suggesting a new Stadium on what was the old Wheels site.

Last edited:

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Obviously it is not difficult to be better than their current owners, however I would be nervous about this if I were a Blues fan.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes - Company was created last month.

Anyone else think it odd he’ll own the ground 100% but less than 50% of Blues.
Not odd if they are going to move ground and use the land for some other development?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A man named Thomas, fronting an organisation named Shelby.

Who was that at the Order of? ;)

Regardless, it is positive news for Blues and Football in the West Midlands, that it looks like they will finally have new stewardship, after the nightmare of the last decade or so.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck they deserve it

Yes plan to sell st andrex and move to local go kart track. Iv raced there previously and the road to it is gravel bizarre move but whatever happens good luck to them sotv

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like they have good alignment with the council. The broader area has levelling up funds already in place, and the new site should have plenty of space for a new stadium. Good luck to them, but it’s going to take time for detailed plans to be developed, approved and progressed.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Looks like they have good alignment with the council. The broader area has levelling up funds already in place, and the new site should have plenty of space for a new stadium. Good luck to them, but it’s going to take time for detailed plans to be developed, approved and progressed.

Don't really understand what's going on with all this. I don't know Small Heath well, we used to park up on the waste ground behind the old stand when we had the terrace at that end, but that's all been built on now. The wheels park always looked like a load of waste ground more than a community facility, but maybe that's just an impression.

So is the thinking that St Andrews, despite its somewhat down at heel surroundings is likely to be bulldozed for development and a new ground built on the less accessible wheels area? I don't know quite what the issues are with the relatively new stands that aren't open, but it all sounds a bit mad to me. The wheels area is pretty hilly as I remember for a start!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SHELL Company Litd?

Sounds legit

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really understand what's going on with all this. I don't know Small Heath well, we used to park up on the waste ground behind the old stand when we had the terrace at that end, but that's all been built on now. The wheels park always looked like a load of waste ground more than a community facility, but maybe that's just an impression.

So is the thinking that St Andrews, despite its somewhat down at heel surroundings is likely to be bulldozed for development and a new ground built on the less accessible wheels area? I don't know quite what the issues are with the relatively new stands that aren't open, but it all sounds a bit mad to me. The wheels area is pretty hilly as I remember for a start!

I’m not at all familiar with the area, but the council documents provide a lot of information. The scheme would see a new access road right through the site from Garrison Lane near St Andrews, connecting with Bordesley Green Road just south of Adderley Park station, and a further link north. Railway station to be redeveloped, and a new Metro line along Garrison Lane. That should address access you’d think, but I’m not sure exactly where the new ground would be along it.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpeg
    IMG_0877.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I’m not at all familiar with the area, but the council documents provide a lot of information. The scheme would see a new access road right through the site from Garrison Lane near St Andrews, connecting with Bordesley Green Road just south of Adderley Park station, and a further link north. That should address access you’d think, but I’m not sure exactly where the new ground would be along it.
Yes, thanks. Most of that area is the wheels but, various race tracks. Plenty of room for a new ground. I should have known, but apparently at St Andrews the steelworks are no good, they've demolished the relevant sections and the covers aren't over seats as I'd always thought, but over a void! Plans are to rebuild as soon as the season finishes, so if that doesn't now happen I guess that will say it all. Just find it all a bit odd, ground mostly functional and not exactly on prime territory, big enough for their needs, knock it down and move a few hundred yards. Unless the rest of the steel works are also suspect, not sure why they wouldn't be as I thought it was all built together.

Maybe buy the Hawthorns when they go out of business in about an hour.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, thanks. Most of that area is the wheels but, various race tracks. Plenty of room for a new ground. I should have known, but apparently at St Andrews the steelworks are no good, they've demolished the relevant sections and the covers aren't over seats as I'd always thought, but over a void! Plans are to rebuild as soon as the season finishes, so if that doesn't now happen I guess that will say it all. Just find it all a bit odd, ground mostly functional and not exactly on prime territory, big enough for their needs, knock it down and move a few hundred yards. Unless the rest of the steel works are also suspect, not sure why they wouldn't be as I thought it was all built together.

Maybe buy the Hawthorns when they go out of business in about an hour.

I suppose they have a partially modern stadium but with serious issues. Move up the road, and they can build a completely new stadium in one go, with space to expand in future should they ever need it. A simple modern identikit stadium like Boro, Stoke or Leicester would be relatively cheap and quick to build once the site has been cleared and access roads built.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Back in 2007 I delivered a plan to the City Council and Blues to develop a stadium on the Wheels brownfield site for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and then become Blues new home. The Council were keen, Brady and co were keen and then came the 2008 credit crunch, it was shelved.

Sullivan, Gold and Brady buggered off to London and got their cheap stadium, Perry Barr got the games and Blues got nowt.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I suppose they have a partially modern stadium but with serious issues. Move up the road, and they can build a completely new stadium in one go, with space to expand in future should they ever need it. A simple modern identikit stadium like Boro, Stoke or Leicester would be relatively cheap and quick to build once the site has been cleared and access roads built.
I'd forgotten, but looking it up it's the same area of land that was proposed for a massive development about 20 years ago. According to wiki they were talking about £1m per acre to decontaminate the land and it's a 40 acre site, so I'd imagine you're looking towards £100m just to make it safe to start now? Apart from the old stand the rest of St Andrews (something like 25k out of 30k seats) is pretty much the same age as the Riverside.

Sorry, just read above courtesy of @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) , any idea of the decontamination costs?

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JUst read this, now whilst I know Blues are not everyones cup of tea, it seems they are finally going to get some reputable owners after years of having owners of shall we say "ill repute" Birmingham City takeover: US hedge fund complete deal with plans to build new stadium
It should make interesting viewing watching who comes out on top between the Blue TeamS of Birmingham after all Handsworth is part of Brum ;) as is Smethwick it certainly aint black country, I see they are suggesting a new Stadium on what was the old Wheels site.

It would be funny to see them challenge the villa with peaky blinder fc

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem with that is it won’t have been cursed by a gypsy.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd forgotten, but looking it up it's the same area of land that was proposed for a massive development about 20 years ago. According to wiki they were talking about £1m per acre to decontaminate the land and it's a 40 acre site, so I'd imagine you're looking towards £100m just to make it safe to start now? Apart from the old stand the rest of St Andrews (something like 25k out of 30k seats) is pretty much the same age as the Riverside.

Sorry, just read above courtesy of @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) , any idea of the decontamination costs?
I'd imagine in 10-15 years the location by that Maccies roundabout will transform and be a really dense area of flats etc, a lot higher value. With the new tram the St Andrew's spot would also increase in value a bit.

Just a shame IMO that all that history and tradition is forgotten with a ground move, all the pubs and chippies etc will change, and replaced by a Lego box surrounded by car parks and a beefeater.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would have thought that cost varies across the site given its size. In any case, if the persons or companies responsible for the contamination cannot be made to pay, then as the current owner, I’d have thought the council would be responsible for decontamination, or if passing this responsibility onto the buyer, then the buyer would deduct that value from any purchase cost.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd imagine in 10-15 years the location by that Maccies roundabout will transform and be a really dense area of flats etc, a lot higher value. With the new tram the St Andrew's spot would also increase in value a bit.

Just a shame IMO that all that history and tradition is forgotten with a ground move, all the pubs and chippies etc will change, and replaced by a Lego box surrounded by car parks and a beefeater.
Given how **** their support is they could definitely redevelop in place, closing the Tilton End first, then the other stands. There's plenty of room at St Andrews too: the Railway End could stay as it is, they could make the Kop much bigger and better, and rebuild the main stand to current standards. A completely unnecessary move.

A Lego box and a Beafeater is a perfect way to describe most modern provincial grounds. **** Blues though, can't stand em.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Given how **** their support is they could definitely redevelop in place, closing the Tilton End first, then the other stands. There's plenty of room at St Andrews too: the Railway End could stay as it is, they could make the Kop much bigger and better, and rebuild the main stand to current standards. A completely unnecessary move.

A Lego box and a Beafeater is a perfect way to describe most modern provincial grounds. **** Blues though, can't stand em.
Looking on the satellite view I'm surprised how close they built the houses behind the old stand. However once they've fixed the lower parts of the Kop and Tilton they'd have plenty of capacity and rebuild the old stand when they want, even a modest one would do. If they build a new ground it would have to be 40k to make any sense in terms of needing an upgrade, and that's £200m minimum these days I'd guess. Even the Shelby's might be struggling. Just for context the entire levelling up bid for the area is £19m and that's not going on a football ground! Then if you had another £200m you might get a team in the PL attracting 40k crowds.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder how much they'd get for selling the maybe 10 acres of land at St Andrew's? Can't be any more than 20m? So 40m including levelling up bid, like you say doesn't even build 1 new stand at the new ground.
So glad we didn't move to the motorway junction or Goodyear site.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strewth!
For a mad moment I thought this thread was about decent music...
Ooops my bad!!! :D
I remember years ago having a totally confusing conversation with someone who was telling me that her father, who was a concert manager at a social club, had booked a "famous old blues player". She couldn't remember his name. I was suggesting a variety of Blind Joes, Big Bills and Mississippi Sams, but it turned out not to be a legend of the delta at all, just some bloke who played in goal for Birmingham and fancied himself as an after dinner speaker in retirement.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The EFL have today approved the buyout of 24% shares from Birmingham Sports Holdings Limited and a combined 21.64% from Orenital Rainbow Investments and Achiever Global Group, by Thomas Wagner’s Shelby Companies Limited.

Wagner will take on the day-to-day leadership of the club.

Last edited:

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for Blues. As Wolves fans know all too well any club can become victim to dodgy owners which end up consigning that club to years if not decades of decline and there's little fans can do about it when it happens. Just have to cross your fingers and hope it's not your turn in the future.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Just spotted this morning that Blues will be welcoming Tom Brady as a minority owner and an active member of their advisory board where he will "commit time and expertise" will be interesting to watch how this turns out.

Back
Top Bottom