Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Big Mick back in the game!!!

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
He was the right man at the time and built us a team out of nothing to be proud of after the emptiness and boredom of Hoddle. It just went on a season or two too long. However this was not entirely his fault. The priority of the owners at the time was just to stay in the premier league whilst spending as little as possible. Mick's success at this meant he stayed in the job as it suited them. But it was also his downfall as you can only do this for so long under the Prem swallows you up. Same with Dyche at Burnley. He didn't have the budget to buy top quality but neither does he have the ability to manage big players. Mick has to be the biggest personality at the club but can only achieve this with players who are striving to make a name for themselves. Similarly I reckon there is now nobody bigger than JL at Wolves but he is able to manage established internationals.

On balance Mick did the best he could for us and in my view should well thought of. He won't do aswell as JL but the difference in budget and management calibre are night and day.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mixed memories of McCarthy.
Mostly good up to the completely unacceptable surrender at Old Trafford and nearly all all downhill from that point on.
High points. 1st season til the play offs. Promotion.
Low points. Old Trafford. Blackburn onwards, complete ****e squad of overpaid cronies he left us with who took us down to League One.
I dont give a flying fig how he does at Blackpool.

Was ridiculous that he got fined for playing his squad in that game and we won the following game against Burnley I believe?

The rules soon changed to reflect that a manager can indeed play his squad players without getting fined.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Night and day with the Zenga/Shamberk dross the season before.....

The Jackett L1 promotion season was great too...
Might be being thick but what’s that got to do run my response

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be being thick but what’s that got to do run my response
The first sentence related to Nuno's first season being such a breath of fresh air after the crap the season before.

The second suggested the Jackett L1 winning season as another which some people might think their favourite.

Sorry if l wasn't clear.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
The first sentence related to Nuno's first season being such a breath of fresh air after the crap the season before.

The second suggested the Jackett L1 winning season as another which some people might think their favourite.

Sorry if l wasn't clear.
Thanks

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick's season was more of a suprise and I prefer surprises, plus I was 16 in Mick's tenure so it coincides with me getting my first season ticket on my own etc.

Always love Mick for those reasons, probably more than Nuno tbh.
I loved Mick, the second most successful manager of my Wolves supporting life.

Nuno though, was the one. Never felt such a feeling of loss about football, I think it still hurts.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow that was quick. I thought he and Warnock might be canny appointments for Blackpool and Huddersfield as they looked to escape relegation. I suppose I was half right.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick McCarthy has left Blackpool following yesterdays defeat to Cardiff City.
I know many of you guys rate Merlin but how many times has he actually taken a team down while being their manager. If at all probably none. The thing about him is that he manages to get out of the club before they are actually relegated. So his record does not show the result of the fact he actually is the main factor of a team's demise. Certainly the pattern is there with Sunderland, Wolves and now Blackpool.
Buyer beware.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know many of you guys rate Merlin but how many times has he actually taken a team down while being their manager. If at all probably none. The thing about him is that he manages to get out of the club before they are actually relegated. So his record does not show the result of the fact he actually is the main factor of a team's demise. Certainly the pattern is there with Sunderland, Wolves and now Blackpool.
Buyer beware.
While l sort of agree with you l would note that Blackpool were well and truly in the crap before he went there.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Puts the job Warnock is doing at Huddersfield into perspective.

Last couple of jobs haven’t gone well for Mick. Hope he enjoys a well-earned retirement now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Buyer beware.
Missed out Ipswich

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see TC still turns up with him on his numerous adventures around the clubs! I wonder if TC gets any say on where Mick goes next?!

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While l sort of agree with you l would note that Blackpool were well and truly in the crap before he went there.
Agreed but all he did was push them further down the toilet. Cpmpare that to the job that Warnock is doing at'uddersfield.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missed out Ipswich
My old boss and his wife were Ipswich STHs and they absolutely hated him. Terrible, terrible football, they said, Ipswich being a club that fancies itself a bit as a footballing academy (Bobby Robson as manager, Kevin Beattie, John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Franz Thijssen, etc, won the UEFA Cup)

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Buyer beware.

Yeah, he has a track record of it. Somehow people gave him credit for Ipswich but the strike force he had there was great and they were still terrible. Footy has just left his type behind, huff and puff doesn't cut it Anymore.

Thanks for the memories, they were fun times.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My old boss and his wife were Ipswich STHs and they absolutely hated him. Terrible, terrible football, they said, Ipswich being a club that fancies itself a bit as a footballing academy (Bobby Robson as manager, Kevin Beattie, John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Franz Thijssen, etc, won the UEFA Cup)

Bobby Robson built a fantastic team at Ipswich. Aside from those you mentioned, they had the likes of Eric Gates, Paul Mariner, Allan Brazil and Terry Butcher. What a team that was.

Apologies for going off topic. I do tend to do that a lot.. :)

Back
Top Bottom