Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Big Mick back in the game!!!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck Merlin. You’re gonna need it.

Hope it works out better than Cardiff.

This is Micks ideal situation imo. Bottom end Championship club who can’t get any lower. Get in there and give it all you’ve got.

He’s got nothing to lose has he.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent news. Wish him all the success in the world. Have a soft spot for Blackpool having been dragged to a few of their games when we visited for Easter each year. Also, it's the place I got the most drenched when we beat them 1-0 in Div 3 or 4 in a night game.... open stand, absolutely chucked it down all night....think Mutch scored in a blizzard!

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Will always love Mick. That combination of Kightly and Jarvis on the wings with big man little man in Iwelumo and Ebanks-Blake was a joy to watch. It felt great being a wolves fan for the first time in years

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...ccarthy-who-is-blackpools-new-manager-3994002

He wants defenders. We must have defenders he can borrow, surely? Not Lembikisa though, preferably. I would like Dexter to stay around our first team.

Edit: I think this is a great appointment for Blackpool. If they stay up it would perhaps become a permanent deal.

Edit2: I misread, it isn't Mick saying he wants defenders, it's the chap who wrote the article saying the defence needs sorting. We must loan somebody there though?

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Anyone who endured endless championship seasons with one season in the Prem must surely hold Mick dear. OK, it was dire at times in the Prem and I'll always remember the away game at Stoke where I swear he would have come in the crowd and taken on the several hundred people abusing him if he could have. Still there were some great days too and it was rarely dull.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gave one of the greatest replies to the usual inane Sky reporter end of game questions when asked " Mick, we have seen the Wolves winner and it looks marginally offside, can I ask what you think about that ? " There was a pause for effect, then Mick replies " I could not give a toss ! " :D:D:D

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice to read of the fondness some of us retain for MM.

Was the perfect fit for us when he arrived and then he just dragged us up by the bootlaces and gave us back some pride…. and all of that with just three and sixpence halfpenny to spend!!

As honest as the day is long, he will give Blackpool a fighting chance!!

Best of luck Mick and TC

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent news. Wish him all the success in the world. Have a soft spot for Blackpool having been dragged to a few of their games when we visited for Easter each year. Also, it's the place I got the most drenched when we beat them 1-0 in Div 3 or 4 in a night game.... open stand, absolutely chucked it down all night....think Mutch scored in a blizzard!

Tuesday February 28th 1989 League Division 3 Blackpool 0 Wolves 2 Bully and Nigel Vaughan scored.

Some previous Blackpool trips were

Div 3 Saturday April 5th 1986 Blackpool 0 Wolves 1 Dean Edwards

Div 2 Saturday September 30th Blackpool 2 Wolves 2 Kenny Hibbitt and Frank Munro

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who endured endless championship seasons with one season in the Prem must surely hold Mick dear. OK, it was dire at times in the Prem and I'll always remember the away game at Stoke where I swear he would have come in the crowd and taken on the several hundred people abusing him if he could have. Still there were some great days too and it was rarely dull.
What you mean one season in the Prem? He kept us up the first season as we finished 15th. Second season we were 17th. In the third we were top after three games before we went into freefall. He was managing on limited resources and he wasn't actually our manager when we got relegated. If he'd stayed, we might, might, have avoided relegation again.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tuesday February 28th 1989 League Division 3 Blackpool 0 Wolves 2 Bully and Nigel Vaughan scored.

Some previous Blackpool trips were

Div 3 Saturday April 5th 1986 Blackpool 0 Wolves 1 Dean Edwards

Div 2 Saturday September 30th Blackpool 2 Wolves 2 Kenny Hibbitt and Frank Munro
Mmmm... my recollection was we won 1-0 through Mutchy.... I don't remember either Bully or Vaughan scoring.... but thanks for this. Just shows how the memory plays tricks.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What you mean one season in the Prem? He kept us up the first season as we finished 15th. Second season we were 17th. In the third we were top after three games before we went into freefall. He was managing on limited resources and he wasn't actually our manager when we got relegated. If he'd stayed, we might, might, have avoided relegation again.
Sorry, as in one season in the Prem to break up the endless years in the Champ before he arrived.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mmmm... my recollection was we won 1-0 through Mutchy.... I don't remember either Bully or Vaughan scoring.... but thanks for this. Just shows how the memory plays tricks.

I know what you mean Mate ! Your memory is not totally shot though :D :D :D As below is a paragraph from Graham Turner's excellent book ' The Only Way Is Up ' his game by game account of the 1988-89 Div 3 Championship winning season

" The match was played in some of the worst conditions I have ever known for football and most of our fans were standing out in the open all night. It poured down with rain all night and the wind never stopped howling ! "

The book also says Bully scored with a tremendous run from the right and a cracking shot with the outside of his boot. Nigel made it 2 near the end.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that @SingYourHeartsOut was talking about pre-Mick i.e. the Dave Jones season.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick was great. Some short memories here.

He came in and we were on our knees with a decimated squad and looking likely to go down. He gave us our team back while managing with grace and humour. The occasional grumpy and abrasive comments seem to have soured a few off him but give it time and you'll get there too.

The club should not have got rid of him in the knee jerk fashion they did. The ownership and strategic direction were poor at that point so off he went.

Kept Ipswich up on little budget for a few seasons (beating us normally) until they got bored of him and dropped like a stone. Only now are they starting to recover.

And then Cardiff. Should have done well but just didn't. Some thought it was purely tactical but the owners there were mad as a box of frogs and the locals wanted them playing like Brazil. He lost the players and off he went.

Now Blackpool. I reckon he'll do alright in that league with some January signings. As long as he's got them playing like a northern Brazil by 18 April we'll be laughing. I think he owes our inbred cousins one after they lost him his job with us.

Good luck Merlin, some of us remember.

Back
Top Bottom