Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Berra

P

PeteWolf

I don't think he's a terrible defender to be fair, the problem is he's been playing alongside people of similarly limited ability. Put him next to a tall pacy partner who can read the game and I think he could do us a decent job.

T

Toupee4Rae

Berra is the best stopper at the club I hope he stays.

W

we8wba

out contract next summer

if sign new deal or sell simples

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering he's got just one year left on his deal, I think it's understandable.

I don't see a great deal of difference between him and Stearman (although I marginally prefer the latter).

Johnson is a cut above both of them when he can be ***** - horrendous when not.

Batth deserves a chance & Mouyokolo could have something to offer.

If we need to change the CB positions (we do) then either him or Stears have to be shipped out. Harsh, but c'est le foot.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Stale is looking for us to play from the back - Berra unfortunately isn't that sort of player. Good defender. Not a good footballer.

TheStalePolice

Reaction score
He' s had some excellent games for us. Anyone remember home against Fulham our first season back in the prem? But overall he, like Stearman, has been disappointing (although I believe Berra is a better player than Stearman).

This must, however, signal a new CB coming in.

B

Bostin

How many times has he been penalised for grabbing onto someone? He's our best defender by a mile. If he can get away with it in the box in the Premier League, where the referee's are notoriously fussy, then he can certainly get away with it in the Championship.

I'm going to sit here and wait for some goon to throw up the 'Berra is slow' argument....

A

andyc225

How many times has he been penalised for grabbing onto someone? He's our best defender by a mile. If he can get away with it in the box in the Premier League, where the referee's are notoriously fussy, then he can certainly get away with it in the Championship.

I'm going to sit here and wait for some goon to throw up the 'Berra is slow' argument....

Berra is slow. Discuss.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anybody's denying that he's a solid defender - he is.

We just patently need something different in the CB department and, in order to facilitate that, at least one of centre backs must be sold.

I'd imagine RJ would be the preferred candidate but given the perceived lack of interest in him, Berra's contractual status makes him the second most viable.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's still fairly early days but what concerns me is new broom (Stale), old defence.
Time to get another CB and LB in soon or we'll struggle at the back again.

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Best CB at the club by a country mile, including RJ. To be fair he's no Franz Beckenbaur on the ball but if thats what the new manager wants then I suspect he'll need to be bringing in a few new defenders (although Stearman may fit into his plans ??)

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

He was absolutely immense in that Fulham game and our best defender by far during our three years in the Premier League (admittedly not much of a compliment).

Would like to see him stay but obviously Solbakken has other ideas for the centre of our defence.

W

we8wba

our best defender by a mile is Roger Johnson, he just didn't show it last year!

Berra is decent at this and low premier league level. would look better next to solid defence and stable defensive midfield in top flight (something we didnt have)

never really developed a CB partnership with anyone here in 3-4 years at the club

O

Oldgoldwulf

I hope he stays... Better than Stearman easily... and on last years form, better than Johnson too!

O

Oldgoldwulf

Best CB at the club by a country mile, including RJ. To be fair he's no Franz Beckenbaur on the ball but if thats what the new manager wants then I suspect he'll need to be bringing in a few new defenders (although Stearman may fit into his plans ??)

Agreed!

S

Stratford Wolf

maybe Fletcher said he only stays if stearman does.........!

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best defender? Anyone noticed that we leak goals?

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank god if this is true....
Awful defender and his saving grace is he has good speed.
Continue basic errors and his man handling would go down well at Murryfield.
His distribution is everything about Micks side..... Hooof up field more times going out for a throw.

I for one will not miss him.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Berra was chased for a long time before he was actually signed. The fee as I remember was upped by Hearts from what we wanted to pay. It was at the time a sizeable fee for a centre back.
We really should have been expecting a player more than capable of playing in the premier to a more than average standard.
I just wonder whether again this is a player who our coaching system could not get the best out of or just a poor signing for the money?

B

Bankswolf II

Saying someone is our best defender for the record is not deemed a compliment I personally dont rate Berra and think he is far too clumsy for my liking. I am surprised it took Stale this long to start getting rid of defenders myself

C

cooper_J

I'll be disappointed if he leaves, especially if we retain Stearman.

I've always liked Berra, if he'd have been next to a footballing centre half he'd have really looked the part.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot begin to explain how happy this news makes me.

Some of you on here are $$$$ing clueless. The guy is absolutely useless.

Stearman is just as bad, although in fairness at least he knows what colour shirts we play in. In 3 years i have yet to see Berra win the ball and then pass it to a gold shirt. So often we have been put right back under pressure because the likes of Berra, Edwards, Henry are simply unable to keep possesion.

Im amazed not everyone can see this, however each to their own i guess!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he stays... Better than Stearman easily... and on last years form, better than Johnson too!

Hahaha. Agree on last season regarding Johnson but that was a major blip for him. Johnson is far better overall than Berra, stearman is easily on par and in a footballing team throughout a much much better option than chrisHOOF Berra

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I cannot begin to explain how happy this news makes me.

Some of you on here are $$$$ing clueless. The guy is absolutely useless.

Stearman is just as bad, although in fairness at least he knows what colour shirts we play in. In 3 years i have yet to see Berra win the ball and then pass it to a gold shirt. So often we have been put right back under pressure because the likes of Berra, Edwards, Henry are simply unable to keep possesion.

Im amazed not everyone can see this, however each to their own i guess!

This :)

S

Sandwell Wolf

It's nice to see the majority on here do actually rate Berra and would be sad to see him go.

Like others have mentioned, he's been our best defender the last 3 years easily, it's just a shame he's always been next to dross like Johnson and Stearman!

Not a 'footballer', but a solid centre back and done a good job for us overall.

Good luck wherever you go Christophe.

M

MK Panther

Our defence has not been great not only during our recent Premiership tenure but also through our final Championship season leading to promotion where at the end others fortunately fell away whilst we were struggling at the back. Mick never saw the need to really upgrade the back and considering he was a defender of sorts never did anything really to inspire confidence.

If we want to bounce straight back then the defence must be solid in the Championship and improve and become rock solid by the time we are back in the Premiership. Berra has always made me feel nervous and it has taken him a long long time to settle, he may be solid enough for the Championship campaign but not the Premiership so on balance he should find new pastures.

Last edited by a moderator:

50pencehead

I wouldnt be dissapointed at any of our CH's leaving - good luck though CB

A

Andy Grays perm

He's been a decent defender -Average. At the end of the day it will be who we replace him with that will decide if it is the right decision to release him. We know what he can do it is time to move on and see if we can find something better. Mind you even if we signed Messi there would be some on this board that would claim Elokobi could do a better job in that position given the chance. Each to their own etc........

W

wolfyjoe

Shows how much i know... I thought he was the best CB at the club!

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been a decent defender -Average. At the end of the day it will be who we replace him with that will decide if it is the right decision to release him. We know what he can do it is time to move on and see if we can find something better. Mind you even if we signed Messi there would be some on this board that would claim Elokobi could do a better job in that position given the chance. Each to their own etc........

To be honest, i think Elokobi actually would be a better center half than messi, no?

J

Jamesjh89

So when he plays for us he gets slated for wrestling strikers in the box and being so slow to turn. Now hes on the way out hes one of our best defenders?!

Some people..

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for Roger Johnson getting a second chance but to suggest on last seasons performance that he will morph into our best centre half (sorry some are suggesting that he is already the best) at the club beggars belief. However limited our defence is I would argue Berra is the best centre half at the club. Other factors may be contributing to his sale at this time but he will be a significant loss and could well have made a contribution as Captain over the next season. Anyone care to speculate where he will finish up? I'm inclined to say English or Scottish Premiership.

D

Dewsburywolf

I don't think anybody's denying that he's a solid defender - he is.

We just patently need something different in the CB department and, in order to facilitate that, at least one of centre backs must be sold.

I'd imagine RJ would be the preferred candidate but given the perceived lack of interest in him, Berra's contractual status makes him the second most viable.

Roger Johnson

Shows how much i know... I thought he was the best CB at the club!

He's the only CB = Christophe Berra at the club :D

D

Deleted member 3545

Get rid why do people want o keep a defender who cant defend. Wolves defence needs an overhaul.

Out with the old in with the new

H

haden-wolf

Decent enough, but for me Craddock was better at the job he did (though CB was quicker) Guess if Roger is staying Stoller is looking for a CB who is more comfortable on the ball to play out of defence

Good luck Frenchman

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just so everyone doesnt forget with have Mouyokolo aswell :D

Back
Top Bottom