Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Backroom staff

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been a few rumours that beale changed his mind due to january transfers, staff, and compo issues.

DDave just posted this on twitter saying similar about nuno. If (big if) there us truth to this for both managers, it's an absolute shambles and Shi has to relent. This penny pinching will cost vastly more than it saves.

Fwiw I don't care if a player or staff member is upset by nuno or his team. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

molinew

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree this is necessarily a problem. In fact, you could argue that having to change our entire backroom team every time we sack a coach is itself a big issue. Look at us now, having to cobble together a dream team of the U18s and U23s manager (itself leaving important academy sides short staffed) and our wally of a goalkeeping coach. Having at least some consistency of backroom teams is probably sensible, and something a lot of teams do.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree this is necessarily a problem. In fact, you could argue that having to change our entire backroom team every time we sack a coach is itself a big issue. Look at us now, having to cobble together a dream team of the U18s and U23s manager (itself leaving important academy sides short staffed) and our wally of a goalkeeping coach. Having at least some consistency of backroom teams is probably sensible, and something a lot of teams do.

If you dont change it all the players will still be in the comfort zone , it needs a huge shakeup with new voices and views.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top managers have their own teams. That doesn't mean firing all the backroom staff but it does mean bringing their people in and definitely not having others picked for them.

molinew

Reaction score
If you dont change it all the players will still be in the comfort zone , it needs a huge shakeup with new voices and views.
Agree 100%, but the OP message only suggests some of the backroom staff would be chosen by the club. To a certain extent that seems like an improvement on the 'rip it all up and start again every 18 months' model we seem to be working on at the moment

molinew

Reaction score
Top managers have their own teams. That doesn't mean firing all the backroom staff but it does mean bringing their people in and definitely not having others picked for them.
Most top managers don't have a team quite as big as Nuno's or Bruno's, to be fair

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
I can totally believe we're not spending money January, especially if Neves stays..

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been a few rumours that beale changed his mind due to january transfers, staff, and compo issues.

DDave just posted this on twitter saying similar about nuno. If (big if) there us truth to this for both managers, it's an absolute shambles and Shi has to relent. This penny pinching will cost vastly more than it saves.

Fwiw I don't care if a player or staff member is upset by nuno or his team. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

I try not to listen too much to hearsay as we don't know (and probably never will) if this was close to the mark or miles off from what took place between the parties.

I think Beale quickly saw what side his bread was buttered and decided to stay put as "Promotion" on his CV would look better than potential relegation. Also, whose to know if his Chairman didn't offer him a bung to stay on at Loftus Road.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously it would be bad if true, but anyone on the windup knows that anything negative at the moment will be lapped up by people happy to see anything that lets them wallow in further misery.

So this is a 3rd hand "someone close to Nuno".

It paints Nuno in a great light, and Shi very negatively, which is what people want to hear.

Is from someone who thinks "bacroom" is a word.

If Jeff was desperate not to pay any compensation at all for a manager, he wouldn't have bothered starting discussions with Nuno, would he.

Lots of Head Coaches work with other coaches who are part of the club - looking at "Big Dunc" at Everton, he worked under Roberto Martinez (who appointed him), Ronald Koeman (who was happy to be a manager who doesn't pick his own bacroom staff), Sam Allardyce (who was happy to be a manager who doesn't pick his own bacroom staff), Marco Silva (who was happy to be a manager who doesn't pick his own bacroom staff), Carlo Ancelotti (who was happy to be a manager who doesn't pick his own bacroom staff), and Benitez (who was happy to be a manager who doesn't pick his own bacroom staff).

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I try not to listen too much to hearsay as we don't know (and probably never will) if this was close to the mark or miles off from what took place between the parties.

I think Beale quickly saw what side his bread was buttered and decided to stay put as "Promotion" on his CV would look better than potential relegation. Also, whose to know if his Chairman didn't offer him a bung to stay on at Loftus Road.
Indeed. Rumours fester when things aren't right and the optics are atrocious all around at the moment. Two managers turning us down, nearly a month with no manager, performances in the toilet, and only now have the fans truly turned.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always supported Fosun and Shi, but if this is true Shi must go.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The problem with Beale was the delay. Wolves had a verbal agreement halfway through the month (via an agent) that he would come.
Jeff then sat on his hands for a week before doing anything about it, and in that time QPR had known about the move and worked hard on convincing him to stay. In that time, Beale had a current employer showing how much they wanted him and a prospective employer doing nothing and possibly even looking at other people. The delay was the problem.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beale didn't speak to us to find out what the transfer funds would be or what backroom staff could come in......

It was a thanks but no thanks.
I have no insider info but I do know how football works and this is very unlikely to be true. He may not have spoken directly but, if not, he certainly will have via intermediaries.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me it gets worse every day!

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its funny how nonsense and hyperbole like this only comes out when we are in the ****

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also FWIW I have no problem with Wolves insisting on building some or all of a backroom staff. I want them to. It's healthy. Nuno picked hos whole team, they all went with him. Bruno picked his whole team, all but Roberts have gone with him. But a healthy model is for a club to have a structure in place and an ethos that stays regardless of who the manager is.

The club are getting almost everything wrong at the moment, but this wouldn't be one of those things.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Find it hard to believe that Wolves didn’t want to pay part of the compensation. Wasn’t it only £1m compensation for Nuno?
Jeff would paid to get Beale free…so why not Nuno?

I think it’s untrue.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is **** stirring because we have no back room staff apart from a Physio and a GK coach.

Feel free to correct me.
But interviewing Edwards and the guy at Chelsea suggests they may be bringing in their own team

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridiculous if true..hierarchy only want another yes man in then..
If true, and it rings so, the sooner Shi and Sellars go/are driven out (God forbid that we get to a Bhatti brothers type situation but that could come) the better.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also FWIW I have no problem with Wolves insisting on building some or all of a backroom staff. I want them to. It's healthy. Nuno picked hos whole team, they all went with him. Bruno picked his whole team, all but Roberts have gone with him. But a healthy model is for a club to have a structure in place and an ethos that stays regardless of who the manager is.

The club are getting almost everything wrong at the moment, but this wouldn't be one of those things.
At the time Nuno left it was widely reported that many of the backroom staff wished to stay but the club said no.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is **** stirring because we have no back room staff apart from a Physio and a GK coach.

Feel free to correct me.

And that's the way they like it.

Out of interest, what is the norm for other clubs? At the top end, it does seem normal these days for a new manager to bring in new staff, perhaps some of the previous will stay if they are considered suitable. I think for a manager to be told he will have pretty much no say in the back room staff must be right out there at the extreme end.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At the time Nuno left it was widely reported that many of the backroom staff wished to stay but the club said no.

Indeed. But they were Nuno's staff, that's my point. A healthy large club -which we aspire to be- would have a mix of both. Some staff that the new guy brings in, but also an existing staff who were here before and can carry on after. In effect this is how you find the next Michael Beale or Anthony Barry rather than chasing round after the current ones. No new manager in our search should get to dictate a WHOLE staff. They also shouldn't be barred from bringing ANY in. It needs to be a balance.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's definitely a lie.

However, I don't think there's much money to spend in January, which is why you can make a rumour like this seem true.

Probably would need to sell RAN or something to bring in a striker.

NordicWolf

Reaction score
The problem with Beale was the delay. Wolves had a verbal agreement halfway through the month (via an agent) that he would come.
Jeff then sat on his hands for a week before doing anything about it, and in that time QPR had known about the move and worked hard on convincing him to stay. In that time, Beale had a current employer showing how much they wanted him and a prospective employer doing nothing and possibly even looking at other people. The delay was the problem.
Simple. Beale was not our first choice. Maybe not even our second or third. The delay most likely due to explore other prefered options.
With 15 games experience he should be way down on the list of candidates.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this...Jeff dithered after the response on Social media........then thought let's get the palace game out the way , then panicked and put the approach in on Thursday.......in the meantime Beale got QPR top and got cold feet.........had we put the approach in on the Monday, Beale would of been our head coach.....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who’d want to come in Jan? Regardless of how much money Guo wants to spend.

Sad to say, but Wolves are not an attractive club to join right now if you’re trying to improve your football career.

We’re probably going to have to dig our way this mess ourselves………with a good coach of course.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple. Beale was not our first choice. Maybe not even our second or third. The delay most likely due to explore other prefered options.
With 15 games experience he should be way down on the list of candidates.
Agreed. He’s only got 15 games more than me at managing at a professional level ;)

Seriously it’s a ****ing disgrace he was considered.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t Nuno bring a significant number of medical staff last time and left that side short when they all left with Nuno. I seem to remember someone saying (could’ve been Shi but could’ve been someone else) that we wouldn’t do that again. Of course what we recruited to replace Nuno’s team haven’t covered themselves in glory but that’s another argument.

Back
Top Bottom