Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Away season tickets - should they continue?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could always buy of FB, from a bloke with maximum points so far this season, but has only been away himself twice.
If you allowed the person in possession of the physical ticket to go to the ticket office and swap the points onto his account if he’s purchased if off someone else that would soon stop said bloke from selling it on Facebook.

Away games arnt a closed shop but you do have to work extremely hard to climb the ladder. Fans who buy tickets and sell them on do give others the chance to go (bit like an unofficial ballot) but they also stop other fans from climbing the ladder and becoming an away regular more easily and in a fairer manner.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could've gone to Ipswich, Palace, Brentford (cup), Fulham or Brighton, as all these went down to members. How the **** is it a closed shop?

People who have AST are not 'super fans', but they deserve to go to the likes of Albion, United, City etc ahead of everyone else because they go to the majority of games.

If they didn't have an AST it would likely make no difference to the availablity of Albion tickets, as they would still have gone to Ipswich, Palace, Brentford, Fulham, Brighton etc putting them on 1050 points +

And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't have an AST, and is gutted to miss out on the Albion game.
I might be misunderstanding the system but do they go to the majority of games? The 3 I know definitely don't. They're good lads but they go to the big games, those near north Wales, and sell a few other tickets (cheers fellas).

Agreed though, it wouldn't make any difference to whether I'd get a ticket or not... I wouldn't get one and to be fair I don't 'deserve' to! I hope the lads and lasses who go to the **** hole are as passionate and vocal as those in S1 and 2 were for Brentford, the ones singing 10 men went to war and trying to encourage the players most of the game.

I'm wondering how I got tickets with my brother in the 90s for A***** games? Did we just queue on the phone? I definitely didn't have any special entitlement nor did I queue round Waterloo Road, I don't think I even had a season ticket those seasons? It didn't seem like a privilege but maybe we were just lucky?

Reaction score
Why do people try and score points over others by pointing out they won’t go to Brighton midweek? Do they not have jobs, children or other commitments?
Anyone need 2 Brighton tickets? Bought for the points but weren’t added in time, luckily didn’t need them but should be good for VillAR now though

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people try and score points over others by pointing out they won’t go to Brighton midweek? Do they not have jobs, children or other commitments?
It's always the same. The most difficult places to get to at the worst kickoff times and some people always say the same things.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the 10% minimum away allocation would help. Home teams could always utilise some of the 10% where the away team doesn’t require the full 10%.
Showing my age a bit here but it’s easy to look back to the 80’s 90’s with rose tinted glasses about paying on the day. My girls can enjoy the match with me in a safe environment, which certainly wouldn’t have been the case in the 80’s.

bigwolf

Reaction score
The issue is not AST holders.

Take that away and the same issue still persists. It just shifts to a points problem. That is people buying and selling to get the points and keep top of the ladder as near to the top.

Tiering will always create demand and supply problems.

The way to stop people buying and selling is to implement a solution so the person with the ticket is the one entering the ground.

That solution already exists with current tech available in the market. And no that is not the Google Wallet nonsense that some clubs have shifted to over the past couple of seasons.

But there is no desire or collective will to implement across the premier league. As there is no monetary benefit.

And there is little.point one club doing it.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You get no reward for all your away trips when you were younger; only today’s fit & healthy & rich enough can go away in this League!

Dawnwolf

Reaction score
The way to stop people buying and selling is to implement a solution so the person with the ticket is the one entering the ground.

That solution already exists with current tech available in the market. And no that is not the Google Wallet nonsense that some clubs have shifted to over the past couple of seasons.

But there is no desire or collective will to implement across the premier league. As there is no monetary benefit.

And there is little.point one club doing it.
Bang on.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been to a gig recently when the QR code to gain entry refreshed every 60 seconds, therefore making it impossible to pass the ticket on.

Not sure if it was via ticketmaster though.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My comments have nothing to do with the Albion game and to be honest as much as I would go if I could get a ticket I'm not gutted if I can't go, especially with an 11:45 ko and will happily go to the pub and watch with a load of mates, and even with a different system it wouldn't necessarily give me any more chance anyway.
I just think the whole system is wrong and as for the super fan comments I know not all are like that but there are definitely some that think that way and I also know some that get tickets for every game and hardly go as just sell them on and some I know of have not even been to 1 away game so far this season yet still continue to get every ticket.
So whats the answer ?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been to a gig recently when the QR code to gain entry refreshed every 60 seconds, therefore making it impossible to pass the ticket on.

Ticketmaster have zero interest in clamping down on scalping as they own resale sites as well so get double bubble

It's an absolute scandal it's been allowed to continue for so long

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
So whats the answer ?
In an ideal world it should be done on a points system only and find a way to implement the purchaser is the only one to be able to use the ticket as I think the re selling is what annoys most people. If this was then limited to say 50% of the allocation and the rest going to ballot and every time you get a ballot ticket that rules you out for the next 1 or 2 this would give a wider level of our support chance to get to a few away games each season.
I'm sure there are various other options that could be used and that is just a quick example off the top of my head

Ebbo

Reaction score
In an ideal world it should be done on a points system only and find a way to implement the purchaser is the only one to be able to use the ticket as I think the re selling is what annoys most people. If this was then limited to say 50% of the allocation and the rest going to ballot and every time you get a ballot ticket that rules you out for the next 1 or 2 this would give a wider level of our support chance to get to a few away games each season.
I'm sure there are various other options that could be used and that is just a quick example off the top of my head

So, it's the reselling that annoys folk the most. I think it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's the whole points system which causes tickets to be bought for points and sold on. So making it 'a points system only' wouldn't make that much difference. For example, if a points only system was introduced next season, where would AST holders start?

We'd quite rightly expect to be on 'top points', having been to the vast majority of games this season... and for years and years before that in most cases. So surely you'd effectively be doing away with ASTs but still have the same issue, of people buying for points.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be misunderstanding the system but do they go to the majority of games? The 3 I know definitely don't. They're good lads but they go to the big games, those near north Wales, and sell a few other tickets (cheers fellas).

Agreed though, it wouldn't make any difference to whether I'd get a ticket or not... I wouldn't get one and to be fair I don't 'deserve' to! I hope the lads and lasses who go to the **** hole are as passionate and vocal as those in S1 and 2 were for Brentford, the ones singing 10 men went to war and trying to encourage the players most of the game.

I'm wondering how I got tickets with my brother in the 90s for A***** games? Did we just queue on the phone? I definitely didn't have any special entitlement nor did I queue round Waterloo Road, I don't think I even had a season ticket those seasons? It didn't seem like a privilege but maybe we were just lucky?
No loyalty points. You just queued up and took your turn.

Ebbo

Reaction score
Are the previous seasons relevant?
No not really, I was just making the point that by and large AST holders are no 'Johnny come latelys'. The point is still the same regarding this season through right?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No not really, I was just making the point that by and large AST holders are no 'Johnny come latelys'. The point is still the same regarding this season through right?
But a points system is the fairest way, providing purchased tickets are used/ used by the buyer who gains the points. Surely in this day and age the club could use some tech to determine that the ticket was used by the person the club sold to?

I've seen Brighton tickets offered today for less than purchase price, some even for free, ok its great they will be used, but why did people buy them in the first place?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Possibly AXS. I had the same when I went to see Tyson Fury fight Otto Wallin in Vegas (turned into blind panic as I’d been too tight to pay for mobile data and when I got to the T-Mobile arena I couldn’t get on the WiFi which is ironic with the sponsor!)

Ebbo

Reaction score
But a points system is the fairest way, providing purchased tickets are used/ used by the buyer who gains the points. Surely in this day and age the club could use some tech to determine that the ticket was used by the person the club sold to?
Yes, but my post just points out how that would also throw up issues, due to where AST holders would start on the points level. Or are you suggesting everyone starts a new season with 0 points if ASTs are scrapped?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but my post just points out how that would also throw up issues, due to where AST holders would start on the points level. Or are you suggesting everyone starts a new season with 0 points if ASTs are scrapped?
Nah I'd start asts on whatever points they would have earnt the previous season, the same as every other fan, before they're reset after a dozen games or so.

Ebbo

Reaction score
Nah I'd start asts on whatever points they would have earnt the previous season, the same as every other fan, before they're reset after a dozen games or so.
Have a read of my post that you first quoted. That's what I was trying to point out. We'd effectively end up with the same issues, just without AST. I really don't think it would improve things much.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have a read of my post that you first quoted. That's what I was trying to point out. We'd effectively end up with the same issues, just without AST. I really don't think it would improve things much.
But if they stopped the selling on of tickets, more would be available for those next in line and further down the chain, not some random who fancies a trip to old trafford as a one off. Fans who attend every match have every right to be first in line for matches. Surely it then goes to a Wolves Fan too.

Ebbo

Reaction score
Yes, we're both totally in agreement on that score. Two things though.

1) AST holders aren't in general selling on loads of tickets to randoms.
2) Anyone with points can do that. Buy a ticket for a game they qualify for with their loyalty points level, to add the points, then sell the tickets on.

That's all I'm trying to say. The AST holder system isn't the sole reason folk can't get to games as much as we all used to.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yes, we're both totally in agreement on that score. Two things though.

1) AST holders aren't in general selling on loads of tickets to randoms.
2) Anyone with points can do that. Buy a ticket for a game they qualify for with their loyalty points level, to add the points, then sell the tickets on.

That's all I'm trying to say. The AST holder system isn't the sole reason folk can't get to games as much as we all used to.
Yes. The requirement to buy 75% for ASTs was a good theory, but in practice just encouraged people to sell them on. The points scheme is the same, encourages some people to buy and sell them on. Obviously I don't know the 3k who go to away games by face, but by accent there are definitely always people more local south and north. Don't really have a solution, definitely not ID checks for everyone, didn't happen in covid, so hardly likely to happen now!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No loyalty points. You just queued up and took your turn.
So locals were ok (and indeed might get tickets having not been to any games previously) and sod anyone who lived further away. That was really fair....

Reaction score
You have to have something in place, and AST makes sense in that sense, as do loyalty points.

The only issue I have with all of this is offering ten points for friendly games. I think that's completely out of order and designed to get money out of fans because they wouldn't otherwise.

10 'loyalty' points for a friendly at home to Rennes being worth the same as someone who will book half a day off work and get back in the early hours on Monday at Brighton, for example, doesn't sit well with me.

Overall though, it's not too bad because I know for a fact there has been opportunities for people to build up points.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If it worked it probably wasn't

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So locals were ok (and indeed might get tickets having not been to any games previously) and sod anyone who lived further away. That was really fair....
It was also one of the main reasons the away season tickets were introduced. People who had been going away all season didn’t get a ticket for the FA cup 6th round at Chelsea in 94. The club then tried to come up with a fairer system. It might not have been perfect but it was better than what had gone on before, whereby if you were unable to queue up you were stuffed.

Back
Top Bottom