Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else watching the repeats of this whole series on Yesterday (11pm weekday nights?). I remember it as a kid and watching the repeats brings the memories flooding back. Superb series, and Timothy Spall (aka Barry Taylor) superbly promoting Wolverhampton (and Wolves) to the rest of the lads.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, brilliant series. When you see what's on the telly nowadays i.e. wall to wall celebrity rubbish and endless cooking shows you realise what a golden age of tv it was back then. Has tv ever been so dumbed down as it is today with people finding a show of cake making and people sitting on the settee watching the tv is quality viewing.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was watching an episode the other afternoon when my Mate came around, I was a fan but this guy could go on Mastermind he is that well up on the shows. Anyhow, he has loaned me his series two dvd, the reason being he says that the Yesterday channel has cut large chunks out of the shows.

Hard to believe the original German series came out in 1984 and the one currently being shown in 1986. Written by Ian La Frenais and Dick Clement like Porridge it had superb characters in it. I was a big fan of Dennis and Oz, especially when they started bickering as we had a Geordie tarmac gang when I was working for John Mowlem at the time and they could easily have been based on those lads who behaved just like the Neville, Dennis and Oz did !

Barry Taylor's greatest line had to be when he said something like " I always thought learning Kung Fu would be handy especially when surrounded by a gang of West Bromwich Albion skinheads when leaving the Molineux ! "

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, brilliant series. When you see what's on the telly nowadays i.e. wall to wall celebrity rubbish and endless cooking shows you realise what a golden age of tv it was back then. Has tv ever been so dumbed down as it is today with people finding a show of cake making and people sitting on the settee watching the tv is quality viewing.

You're right, definitely was a golden age for good TV shows back then, good indepth doco's on BBC, shows like The Young Ones, Auf Wiedersehen, Fawlty Towers etc

No stupid reality TV franchises with all these wanna-be's trying get their name out there on the TV by being stupid or outrageous

TV had a bit of class and character to it then.

Now I wouldn't trust the BBC to be impartial about my dinner, TV is full of *******s but thank goodness we can always access the golden oldies :)

O

OldWolvesfart

Excellent series, have it on DVD, another series I loved was Common as Muck some great acting with Edward Woodward etc.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another classic tv show from the seventies was on this afternoon on ITV 4, The Sweeney. I can remember it being on at 9pm on a Monday I think it was. Along with Sportsnight on a Wednesday and Top of the Pops on a Thursday it was compulsive midweek viewing for me !

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not many people chin big baz

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Rubbish, watched Fawlty Towers last night and it still makes me ache with laughter. The great shows will never be dated. Try Laurel and Hardy.
No its not rubbish.It is an opinion which I am as entitled to as are you .Iam not on about the humour I am on about the filming ,the rickety sets and some of the wooden acting .

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched an Auf Wiedersehn Pet this morning when Barry claimed they were members of the " Wolverhampton aqualung society "

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Watched an Auf Wiedersehn Pet this morning when Barry claimed they were members of the " Wolverhampton aqualung society "
I used to love it.It tailed off a bit in the later series when they went to Spain and the conversion of the old house into flats .
Fawlty Towers got mentioned and yes it is still excellent ,shame there were only ever 12 episodes,but because it is on so often akin to Dad's Army they are timeless .Older series like Auf Wiedersehen Pet and The Sweeney seem a bit dated because they are on more infrequently .
There are a few other classics I would like to see repeated but not rehashed because generally they don't work .

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No its not rubbish.It is an opinion which I am as entitled to as are you .Iam not on about the humour I am on about the filming ,the rickety sets and some of the wooden acting .

and the fact that poor Brits won't be able to go across to Europe to undercut the locals if our economy goes tits up

O

OldWolvesfart

Auf Wiedersehn was great for its time preceded by Boys from the Black Stuff.
I always think of the scene when Yossa is in the confession box saying "I'm Desperate Father" the priest says please call me Dan - Yossa says "I'm Desperate Dan" - then the penny drops. Great mixture of tragedy and comedy.

Back
Top Bottom