Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal Verdict Thread

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are a tough side to play against despite lacking a bit of quality. We have scored in 13 straight games and given our pre season worries re goal scoring that’s great. We are at best a mid table dude but that’s fine! If we deal with that and dream for a cup final I am happy

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Agreed. We do lack quality but you can’t question our fight. 4 points or better this week please
Since the debacle at Ipswich and the switch to a back 3 we have looked a more competent football side. What we have to now do is start beating the side below and around us. We cant rely on results like City and Spurs to keep our progression going. We have to beat the Fulhams, Forests, Sheffield United's, Lutons, etc, or at least in the away games take a point from them.

Today was an OK display though. We didnt collapse, and we kept going but these awful starts to games are a problem.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Since the debacle at Ipswich and the switch to a back 3 we have looked a more competent football side. What we have to now do is start beating the side below and around us. We cant rely on results like City and Spurs to keep our progression going. We have to beat the Fulhams, Forests, Sheffield United's, Lutons, etc, or at least in the away games take a point from them.

Today was an OK display though. We didnt collapse, and we kept going but these awful starts to games are a problem.
Concerning how slow we start games. What can we change? The formation is fine. We need to play higher up the pitch

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
I feel with 4 players missing and the unsettlement of losing your keeper early in the game we did alright. O.K it took until the last 15mins too really cause them problems but in the dying mins nearly every Arsenal fan in that Stadium was whistling for the ref to blow.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Concerning how slow we start games. What can we change? The formation is fine. We need to play higher up the pitch

I'm not sure. We have shown we can dig in and fight, but we dont seem to be switched on enough. I'm not sure what GON's approach is, but it needs to change, we cant keep chasing games all the time.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure. We have shown we can dig in and fight, but we dont seem to be switched on enough. I'm not sure what GON's approach is, but it needs to change, we cant keep chasing games all the time.
Indeed, one clean sheet this season isn't good enough as we're rarely going to outscore teams if they get 2. If we can tighten things up a bit at the back (starting this coming week hopefully), we'll be fine.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
I went today. We were never in the game, after 15 mins I thought it would be a hammering. But we held on and pulled an unlikely goal.back.

Their support was abysmal, worst I've seen tbf and they've plenty to sing about. Our fans were superb, kept the Wolverhampton Wanderers chant going forever. Our song back catalogue has been wiped out with no Nuno, Jimenez, Neves and Moutinho. Stevie Bulls a Tatter was sung more than once today, which I always enjoy tbh but says it all.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
The first goals in the last two games have come from Bellergade not following his man. Happened for Fulham to score and Happened again today. Someone needs to tell him him, he has to defend properly.

As a game we were never in it. As we all know Gomes and Lemina were a massive loss. Thoughy Hwang was poor today, all he did was fall over.

Let's face it to get out with a 2-1 result is a great day for us

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed, one clean sheet this season isn't good enough as we're rarely going to outscore teams if they get 2. If we can tighten things up a bit at the back (starting this coming week hopefully), we'll be fine.

I think we will be fine now even if we dont tighten up, too many poor sides below us, but getting a bit more solid at the back could be the difference for how GON gets backed. Even when lage was here i always said if we show promising signs over the season even in defeats you have stuff to work on. We didnt have that under him after a start that saw us at least picking up plenty of points. When our luck ran out, we collapsed.

In football, a 4 or 5 good performances buy you a bit of leeway, but 4 or 5 poor results put you under pressure. Two games coming up we really should be taking all 6 points from, but we need 4 minimum.

Last edited:

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back….. **** you RMT! Hellish journey in the trains.

We lost the game in the first 20 minutes. Didn’t show up, weren’t awake and showed them too much respect.

We REALLY missed Lemina and Gomes in the middle, thought Doyle and Traore were really poor. Saka is class but Bueno switched off against him.

Finally woke up second half and believed in ourself a bit. They were very nervous at the end and reacted like they’d won the league at the end.

Such a big few games now, 4 points minimum please Wolves.

Last edited:

el gringo

Reaction score
Just a shout out for Traore who I thought carried out his role of doubling up defensively very well. Wouldn’t be surprised if he covered the most ground today.
Agreed. I thought he did very well. One of the (quite a few) positives IMHO.

(Watching on the TV, I should add).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We lost the game in the first 20 minutes. Didn’t show up, weren’t awake and showed them too much respect.

We REALLY missed Lemina and Gomes in the middle, thought Doyle and Traore were really poor. Saka is class but Beino switched off against him.

Finally woke up second half and believed in ourself a bit. They were very nervous at the end and reacted like they’d won the league at the end.

Harsh on RMT - they have settled their strike lol.... ASLEF on the other hand....

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know mate…he’s head and shoulders above everybody but never wins a header! I just crave a number 9 who makes centre backs lives hell and can bully them for 90 minutes. We are so weak up front that every time a long ball goes up it comes straight back. HAS to be priority in Jan and we have to get it right!

We’re not in the championship any more, the days of hoof it up to the big man are long gone.

What other top team plays with a big bully of a striker? Other than Haaland and Kane, there’s nobody else I can think of.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I missed today's game. What is Sa's injury please, how did it happen and how serious is it please.
It's his back. Seemed to do it twisting somewhere in the second goal. After 15 minutes literally felt like the old joke about the keeper getting back ache from picking the ball out of the net too much! Imagine he's either got a small side strain or caught a nerve. Think he might be OK but to be fair Bentley did pretty well.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we paid them too much respect in the first 20 minutes too tentative, not brave enough with our passing and then I thought we did OK. They bossed the central midfield and we couldn't compete for large portions of the game and their goals whilst quality were disappointing defensively.
Also thought we missed RANs creativity and guile, I like Hugo but RANs a better player in most depts.

Need to move on quickly and get some more points on the board!

Last edited:

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A game where we could have been aggressive against the ballet dancers....And why no Sarabia from the start, am I missing something???

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A much better performance than we gave under the messiah last season.

They blew us away in the first half hour. We were always a threat on the counter, but we were well beaten today.

Thought Cunha was very good today, and he’s getting in the habit of scoring goals too
Hardly a habit but a good goal for a 48m striker....more please.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We REALLY missed Lemina and Gomes in the middle, thought Doyle and Traore were really poor. Saka is class but Bueno switched off against him.

Hats off to you and all for going on that journey mate. We may not have scored the Landan cants but out sung by a country mile from what I heard

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal could easily have done us by 4 or 5 today. Even taking away their dominant first 45, the majority of which we couldn't get out of our own half, Trossard and Nketieh had gilt edged opportunities to put the game out of sight. We had absolutely nothing - no hold up play, we couldn't string more than a few passes together, set pieces - nothing. Sometimes you simply have to submit to a far better team.

To our credit, we stayed in the game by our fingernails and somehow grabbed an unlikely lifeline after Arsenal switched off having probably thought the game was over. Hard to say we even deserved a consolation but good finish from Cunha and, again, in fairness it came after he fashioned a chance for himself previously and a half chance for Hwang. Whilst we pushed for an equaliser I don't think it ever looked like coming in the remaining 12 minutes or so, but it gave Arsenal something to think about at least.

Yes we were completely outclassed, but Arsenal are a superb side - as we saw in this fixture last season, there's a chasm in class between us now. These games will not define our season. Hopefully the players will take heart from the scoreline and take the positives into the next few games, which are much more important than the damage limitation we all expected today

J--Wolves

Reaction score
Take your point on Semedo offensively, but I did think he handled Martinelli well.
As for Sasa, he's loveable, but I can't swear to having seen him haad the ball yet!
He never seems to win a header, and he's taller than everyone on the pitch

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unlucky at Fulham but today I think the score flatters us. Great goal by Cunha and well done to Somedo with the assist.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal could easily have done us by 4 or 5 today. Even taking away their dominant first 45, the majority of which we couldn't get out of our own half, Trossard and Nketieh had gilt edged opportunities to put the game out of sight. We had absolutely nothing - no hold up play, we couldn't string more than a few passes together, set pieces - nothing. Sometimes you simply have to submit to a far better team.

To our credit, we stayed in the game by our fingernails and somehow grabbed an unlikely lifeline after Arsenal switched off having probably thought the game was over. Hard to say we even deserved a consolation but good finish from Cunha and, again, in fairness it came after he fashioned a chance for himself previously and a half chance for Hwang. Whilst we pushed for an equaliser I don't think it ever looked like coming in the remaining 12 minutes or so, but it gave Arsenal something to think about at least.

Yes we were completely outclassed, but Arsenal are a superb side - as we saw in this fixture last season, there's a chasm in class between us now. These games will not define our season. Hopefully the players will take heart from the scoreline and take the positives into the next few games, which are much more important than the damage limitation we all expected today
Spot on, Sir.

el gringo

Reaction score
I don't think these stats (from ESPN) are at all bad against the top of the table team that scored six in their last outing, not to mention our last visit to the Emirates:

1701572365195.png

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their support was abysmal, worst I've seen tbf and they've plenty to sing about.
That's the problem with these large stadiums, the roof is so high it doesn't keep the atmosphere in. West Ham and Spurs are both the same. But agree they were poor for top of the league.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went today. We were never in the game, after 15 mins I thought it would be a hammering. But we held on and pulled an unlikely goal.back.

Their support was abysmal, worst I've seen tbf and they've plenty to sing about. Our fans were superb, kept the Wolverhampton Wanderers chant going forever. Our song back catalogue has been wiped out with no Nuno, Jimenez, Neves and Moutinho. Stevie Bulls a Tatter was sung more than once today, which I always enjoy tbh but says it all.

Regarding support, have to disagree, I was in amongst the Arsenal fans ( about on the half way line) and they were loud and sang for most of the game... thought the Wolves support was muted till the last 15 minutes.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Regarding support, have to disagree, I was in amongst the Arsenal fans ( about on the half way line) and they were loud and sang for most of the game... thought the Wolves support was muted till the last 15 minutes.

No way Wolves support was muted. Wolverhampton Wanderes was sang for longer than 15mins in one go and GON Barmy Army was sang directly through/after the Arsenal goal celebrations to name a few.

Wolves fans were superb.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
No way Wolves support was muted. Wolverhampton Wanderes was sang for longer than 15mins in one go and GON Barmy Army was sang directly through/after the Arsenal goal celebrations to name a few.

Wolves fans were superb.
Yep, second half our support sang pretty much non-stop. Players and staff got a good reception at full time too considering we’d been second best pretty much all game.

fleck1

Reaction score
Didn't expect much from the game, going there full strength is hard enough and they seem to be hitting some form. With four starters missing is was going to be tough, even more so after they opened us up with two good goals early doors. Was nice to see us dig in, stay in the game, get one back and make it an uncomfortable finish for them. In recent times we've rolled over and accepted 4,5 or 6.
Traore probably best of the bunch all three of our options benefit from the experience of Lemina alongside, which was obviously missing.
Nice to see Cunha starting to covert some chances, hopefully the start of a run now.

Big week ahead.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are a tough side to play against despite lacking a bit of quality. We have scored in 13 straight games and given our pre season worries re goal scoring that’s great. We are at best a mid table dude but that’s fine! If we deal with that and dream for a cup final I am happy
Had us to go down before a ball was kicked this season. We've been 'docked' 8 points, missed our best player with injury, lost our 'elite' manager at the worst possible time, sold £100m+ of players and decided to give a sacked PE teacher a second chance.

I'm fine with mid table.

If football had the same handicap system as golf or horse racing, we'd be top four. Even just taking VAR and refs into account we'd be on the edge of a European slot.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Precisely......GON has some idea of a containment strategy at the start of the game, but it has been sussed out
by various coaches. Wolves defend deep at the start of games, so it is safe to throw players forward. The last
three games have exactly the same pattern.

We have developed the ability to fight back, a big plus, but it going to be hard to win games, starting from a goal down,
effectively.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
We’re not in the championship any more, the days of hoof it up to the big man are long gone.

What other top team plays with a big bully of a striker? Other than Haaland and Kane, there’s nobody else I can think of.
I didn’t necessarily mean a target man type, just someone who will make the runs to stretch defenders but will have the strength and touch to make the ball stick when it’s fed up to him too. Just somebody that will wear defenders down for 90 minutes….personally I would love Solanke but no way Bournemouth would sell.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had us to go down before a ball was kicked this season. We've been 'docked' 8 points, missed our best player with injury, lost our 'elite' manager at the worst possible time, sold £100m+ of players and decided to give a sacked PE teacher a second chance.

I'm fine with mid table.

If football had the same handicap system as golf or horse racing, we'd be top four. Even just taking VAR and refs into account we'd be on the edge of a European slot.
Abso’bloody’lutely!

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's his back. Seemed to do it twisting somewhere in the second goal. After 15 minutes literally felt like the old joke about the keeper getting back ache from picking the ball out of the net too much! Imagine he's either got a small side strain or caught a nerve. Think he might be OK but to be fair Bentley did pretty well.
I'm no doctor but it looked like a back spasm to me (having personally suffered myself from them over the years) so nothing too serious I wouldn't have thought.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is no disgrace in losing at Arsenal, and at least we didn’t rollover after early goals, as we did last season.
I went to the match at the Emirates at the end of last season (which was one of the most feeble performances I can remember from a Wolves team) and also yesterday when we regrouped really well and kept our discipline in the 2nd half. I have much more confidence in this team.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I went to the match at the Emirates at the end of last season (which was one of the most feeble performances I can remember from a Wolves team) and also yesterday when we regrouped really well and kept our discipline in the 2nd half. I have much more confidence in this team.
Agree, after 12/13 minutes yesterday I thought here we go again but you’re right we dug in and grew into it. We probably scored too late to really put them under pressure sadly.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle was given a chance to impress but sadly he looked completely anonymous. Traore had slightly more impact I thought. A bit harsh to pick Doyle out because he has had a positive impact in other games but Lemina and Gomes look to be a cut above their replacements. Considering Bueno has had almost no game time I thought he did reasonably OK.

Back
Top Bottom