Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal Verdict Thread

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We thankfully didn't roll over against a side who are on another level to even our full strength XI, but I make that 11 of the 25 goals we have conceded (44%) coming in the first 15 minutes of each half. Almost half of our goals conceded have come in that one third of the match. It's a problem that isn't being rectified. We need to emphasise solidity and be more switched on from the start. A game in which we were otherwise relatively competitive was gone after 12 minutes through poor, naive defending.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor start, took time to get into the game and they got a bit complacent but much better towards the end

Next two games hugely important - 4-6 points out of them and we will be in a good position into the Christmas schedule

Players to come back as well, so all is not bleak

Sa - n/a
Semedo - 6 - usual good and bad from him, good determination to win the ball for the goal
Kilman - 6 - can't hit a long pass to save his life
Dawson - 6 - improved as the game went on, thought he was caught wrong balanced or something for Sakas goal
Toti - 6 - bit shaky in possession a few times, but thought he did fine overall
Bueno - 6 - good minutes on his return and again generally OK, but struggled a few times with Saka
Doyle - 5 - just needs minutes at this level, not quite at the level yet but has ability for sure
Traore - 6 - same as above, but gave the ball away less (it seemed)
JRB - 6 - not great defensively, we need him higher up the pitch not having to track runners, good attacking outlet. Need to get him to 90 mins
Hwang - 5 - poor from him. Constantly on the deck. More noticeable how weak he is in possession when he/team is not playing well
Cunha - 6.5- great finish and generally think he played quite well, but limited in involvement due to our inability to keep the ball at times

Doherty - 4 - still can't believe we gave this caravan a three year deal
Sasa - 5 - love the guy but a bit concerned, not sure he's good enough. If a team offered us our money back in Jan I'd take it tbh
Sarabia - 5.5 - some nice touches but wasn't involved enough for me
Bentley - 7 Motm - thought he did well and made a couple of good saves

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least our GD didn't take much of a hit, but it was one of the most one-sided 2-1s there could be. Arsenal at a canter, but we did show spirit after Cunha scored.
Tuesday much more important!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dreadful first 30 minutes, thought we battled well after that. Great finish from Cunha. Good shift all around, just disappointing to concede two very poor goals.

We really missed the control over midfield that Lemina and Gomes give us with their dynamism and combativeness. Doyle and Traore looked a little lost at times and struggled to impose themselves on the game.

They'll take confidence from that performance into Tuesday (I hope), a massive game against a Burnley side that might have started to figure things out.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hugo and Semedo are my players of the match. Both were very good.

Sarabia made a difference again, even with one really bad pass. But I'll take a bad pass in the opposition end over passing back to our goalie almost every time. His through ball to Semedo where we almost tied the game was incredible.

Cunha looked better when we started attacking.

Hwang, who I love, was putrid today, IMO.

Doyle also played well.

Bentley was beat like 15 times, but got lucky by goal posts. Made a couple nice saves though.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did well to keep the score down to a respectable 2-1 defeat but my overriding feeling of watching that was boredom. It followed the script we all knew it would. The rare occasions in the PL when your team makes you feel on top of the world are too few and far between with most games leaving you feeling frustrated, angry or just apathetic. I’m the final one this evening. Let’s hope we can get the win on Tuesday and make up for the **** week we’ve had to endure.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We got completely overpowered for 25 minutes in which we just didn't compete. It could have been 4 during that time, so we got away with it to some extent. After that, we slowly started to at least try to compete, though you have to say that Arsenal eased off knowing that had probably done enough for the win.

Second half was a total non-event until Cunha's goal almost out of nothing made it into a fairly tense last 10 minutes, but we never had the quality to create anything of note. Hwang was especially dreadful all game long, even bottling a simple opportunity on the stroke of half-time to either pull back a goal or instigate a penalty.

Dust ourselves down now, be content we didn't get a pasting and and get ready for Tuesday, where it seems we'll face a resurgent Burnley. Our first real "must-win" home game of the season. i have to say I hope that Sa is fit as Bentley is decent with his distribution but totally lacking in all other aspects.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Understandably outclassed first 30 but once we showed a bit more bravery on the ball, we hung in there and started to get a bit of a foothold in the game.

Thought Semedo did well against Martinelli and pressed well for the equaliser. Hwang had a bit of a shocker and was unable to retain possession on the few times we did get it into him.

Great finish from Cunha for the goal. Shame we gave away a number of silly fouls in added time (Sasa being the main culprit) that killed any momentum we tried to get going.

Sa N/A
Kilman 6
Dawson 6
Toti 5
Semedo 7 MoM
Doyle 6
Traore 6
Bellegarde 7
Bueno 7
Hwang 5
Cunha 7

Bentley 6
Doherty 6
Sarabia 6
Sasa N/A

Really big game Tuesday. Would be great to have some of our injured players back.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dreadful first 30 minutes, thought we battled well after that. Great finish from Cunha. Good shift all around, just disappointing to concede two very poor goals.

We really missed the control over midfield that Lemina and Gomes give us with their dynamism and combativeness. Doyle and Traore looked a little lost at times and struggled to impose themselves on the game.

They'll take confidence from that performance into Tuesday (I hope), a massive game against a Burnley side that might have started to figure things out.

Second one was a world class move, not many teams are stopping that goal IMHO.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
I watched this game. We look very weak down our left. Bueno I am not convinced about him. Everything was down the side. We missed key players. Result credible but we still lost. Should we of had a penalty at the end?

Bentley did very good. Semedo too.

The officials got few things wrong again.

We must move on.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying arsenal are the best team I’ve seen all season, they played. Lovely football and Odergard is the best opponent player I’ve seen since De Bruyne put in that masterclass

But…… that first half hour, why did we not try and tackle, follow runners and generally stop pricking about with it at the back? We’ve played all the big teams now and we’ve only stood off Arsenal and guess what they loved it! Man City we pressed like mad, why not today? O’Neill at least changed it and we don’t ever roll over. There were chances not taken, Hwang first half been a prime example, just flick it past Raya. Ultimately we deserved nothing but football is like that, United deserved nothing against us yet got all 3 points. We need to start stealing points.

Another week of fighting though and I’ll take that as a massive positive we are a team, and had our 2 best players missing. Take Saka and Odergard out the Arsenal team and it may have been easier. Doyle and Traore are subs at best

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched this game. We look very weak down our left. Bueno I am not convinced about him. Everything was down the side. We missed key players. Result credible but we still lost. Should we of had a penalty at the end?

Bentley did very good.
What was the penalty for

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves should’t have been so bad.
Arsenal are not supermen but they absolutely outplayed us in many areas…..passing, recovering possession, at times walking through our defence as if it wasn’t there.

After that performance, I’d probably take 15th. if offered.

Hopefully Gary can take something away from this and improve our remaining games.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
We were fortunate not to be at least 4 down at half time - we got stretched out of position with Arsenal's clever movement and quick passing way too many times.

A better second half but how much of that was down to Arsenal taking their foot of the gas is up for debate. The biggest positive is at least we stayed in the game and heads didn't drop, but too many individual performances not up to recent levels.

Hopefully Burnley have used up all their goals today ahead of Tuesday, and Sa's injury isn't too bad - seeing Bentley today when any cross came into the box didn't fill me with confidence!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet another ridiculously slow start (admittedly against superior opposition, but it's a real problem of ours that we need to sort out) left us with a mountain to climb. I thought we would fold to be honest and be on the end of a 5 or 6-0 but fair play to them, they steadied the game and managed to get back into it. Great finish by Cunha and fair play to Semedo for pinching the ball off of Arsenal to create it. Thought Hwang was absolutely awful, one of those days for him.

Bring on the inevitable no show at home against Burnley.

Last edited:

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suicidal start- inevitably led to final defeat. Great that we kept going and after a terriffic goal from Cunha Arsenal were very nervous and on the ropes at times. Imagine having a quality centre forward dovetailing with Cunha- that would completely change the balance of so many games. We desperately need that striker. Hwang was poor today, Fabio is nowhere and Sasa has shown nothing much so far this season.
Why do we always start so poorly, defending deep calling the opposition on to us and then give ourselves a mountain to climb when the defence inevitably cracks? But full marks for holding in there and in the end giving Arsenal a real fright. Now can we get 6 points from Burnley and Forest with Lemina and Gomes back at least and perhaps Neto on the bench for Forest? Its a very frustrating season and O'Neil needs proper transfer support from the club in January. He has created a strong team mentality but we must start games so much better otherwise the defeats will keep coming.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some points watching:

Really think when we are on the front foot we look a much better side (why we always look better chasing a game). With Burnley and Forest at home coming up think we need to get Sarabia in the side if that is for Bellegarde and give him a free role behind Cunha and Hwang or maybe it is time to go back to a back four and play a more attacking player on the left!

Good character today could have really gone under given how bad we were in the first 30 minutes but they kept at it and showed much more what they are about in the second half.

Hopefully Sa injury isn't serious as Bentley doesn't feel me with confidence mainly because he is so shaky at defending crosses into the box... One thing though he is so much better on the ball than Sa his distribution is miles ahead and can see the defence feel more confident playing it out from the back with him could see this being a reason to upgrade on Sa.

Cunha is a baller by the way he might lose the ball sloppy at times in our half but his ability to run at defenders is key and starting to add more goals now.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the injuries and suspensions, I expected to lose. After the first 10-15 mins, I expected it to be embarrassing. But we dug in, fought and in the made it look like a narrow defeat. Allowing Arsenal to run circles around us early doors shows what balanced officiating looks like. Had it been 0-0 longer, I wonder if we’d have seen some different decisions from VAR?

Players back from suspension now, so we should be able to have more control in midfield, in the upcoming games.

UTW!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Might comment properly later, but mostly just to say proud of the lads, Arsenal pulled us around well and we made some mistakes, but no lack of pride or effort. Two long trips for nothing, but it'll feel OK if we win the home games.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Second one was a world class move, not many teams are stopping that goal IMHO.
Yes perhaps a bit harsh on the second, moreso disappointed with the first, Dawson letting Saka onto his strong side. Also Kilman letting Martinelli cut onto his right when he hit the post. Just basic errors.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Against Ødegaard and Rice I wasn't expecting a makeshift midfield to do any better, they're both class.

Some random thoughts:
- Hwang's 'simulation' ****es me off, he's a very hard working lad (albeit ****e today) but I find it hard to get behind cheats, even our cheats.
- Cunha's having a decent season for me.
- Bueno struggled, and must be behind RAN, but he's just come into the team and he was against one of the most effective players in the league, so no shame there.
- Semedo played well
- Toti I like but I don't think he's good enough on the ball for the PL, even in a side like ours.
- We dug in well against one of the best sides in the league, the scoreline flatters us but I'm actually happy with that performance. COMB against a buoyant Burnley...

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hugo and Semedo are my players of the match. Both were very good.

Sarabia made a difference again, even with one really bad pass. But I'll take a bad pass in the opposition end over passing back to our goalie almost every time. His through ball to Semedo where we almost tied the game was incredible.

Cunha looked better when we started attacking.

Hwang, who I love, was putrid today, IMO.

Doyle also played well.

Bentley was beat like 15 times, but got lucky by goal posts. Made a couple nice saves though.
Maybe a controversial take.. but I actually think when a player hits the post in a one-on-one, you can’t really say the goalie got beat. Perhaps he closed the angles down well enough that the attacker couldn’t hit the target.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disgrace in losing 2-1 away at a very good Arsenal side who cut us open very effectively for both goals.

The second was lovely one-two touch play and again shows how leaky we are at the back. Such slow starts and loss of men has got to stop as it is costing us.

At least Cunha popped in a lovely strike and with double his tally from his loan last season, he is beginning to find his feet in front of goal. The lad works really hard and that is a 3rd consecutive game for a goal/assist.

Bentley made some good stops and did well as a substitute.

On to Burnley on Tuesday and please lads: keep it tight at the beginning!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could have been a lot worse. Arsenal are one of those clubs who not only move the ball around nicely, they also bully you physically when they don't have it. A difficult combination to play against. Clearly Bellegarde and Traore were given orders to support the wing-backs in defensive situations (which they generally did well). The problem being that if one of your midfielders is out on the touchline then there is space and a free man inside. Hence Odegaard having an easy afternoon.
Generally I thought the team did reasonably well after a dreadful opening 20 mins even if there is a suspicion that Arsenal were happy to simply protect their lead.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score

Bentley did very good. Semedo too.

The officials got few things wrong again.

We must move on.
Bueno is a young defender up against tough opposition today. There was no way he was going to win every dual.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disgrace in losing 2-1 away at a very good Arsenal side who cut us open very effectively for both goals.

The second was lovely one-two touch play and again shows how leaky we are at the back. Such slow starts and loss of men has got to stop as it is costing us.

At least Cunha popped in a lovely strike and with double his tally from his loan last season, he is beginning to find his feet in front of goal. The lad works really hard and that is a 3rd consecutive game for a goal/assist.

Bentley made some good stops and did well as a substitute.

On to Burnley on Tuesday and please lads: keep it tight at the beginning!
Yes.. for me, Cunha starting to find the target and building confidence is a major + for us. Gonna need him to keep contributing with Neto out.

I do think if we can get Neto, Hwang and Cunha all fit and firing at the same time, we could make quite a charge up the table.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great for Bentley to play against the team who started his career as a youngster.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible first 15 mins or so. Dawson switched off for the first. Happiest i`ve been after a defeat.

Reactions: Ned

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing so many players, key ones too, lucky we weren't walloped today, and we were lucky it ended 2-1. On paper seems a decent effort but it was anything but that. The players that came in were poor. Even Dawson was poor. Only shining light, Cunha. Next two games are ones that define our season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That could have been an utter embarrassment but this squad have something about them this season that was lacking for the last two or three. It’s not often I’ll be happy after a defeat but I honestly don’t think I was exaggerating when I said it could be 7 or 8 after they scored their 2nd.

It’s hard to single anybody out as it was all 5 or 6 out of 10 performances. I felt Semedo and Bueno did well against world class players, Doyle didn’t look overwhelmed and Cunha worked his socks off.

Im not saying that he’s better than Sa or should start the next game ahead of him but you can see that Bentley is so much better with the ball at his feet and it actually seemed to help calm the defence. He’s quite vocal too so it looked like the defence improved… he kept a clean sheet to boot.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great for Bentley to play against the team who started his career as a youngster.
I thought Bentley's distribution was miles better than Sa. Hwang is turning into Podence, falling over, rolling about, holding his face; it's starting to seriously **** me off. He needs to stay on his feet.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.. for me, Cunha starting to find the target and building confidence is a major + for us. Gonna need him to keep contributing with Neto out.

I do think if we can get Neto, Hwang and Cunha all fit and firing at the same time, we could make quite a charge up the table.
We could, but we also need to stop conceding so many goals. Some of our defending is comical.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing so many players, key ones too, lucky we weren't walloped today, and we were lucky it ended 2-1. On paper seems a decent effort but it was anything but that. The players that came in were poor. Even Dawson was poor. Only shining light, Cunha. Next two games are ones that define our season.
Sorry mate but that’s overly harsh. I wish we were braver in possession and went for it a little more but we were outclassed by the league leaders who were playing really well today.

Also, again sorry, the next two games won’t define our season either. They’re games we could do with winning but we are sitting quite comfortably where we are at the moment.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheffield and Fulham away make next Tuesday absolutely huge. The difference between mid table obscurity and a nervy too close for comfort battle.

Can very much go one of two ways after these next 2 gsmes.

As for today, about as much as could realistically expect. All a bit meh really, premier league boredom at its best.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could, but we also need to stop conceding so many goals. Some of our defending is comical.
It’s crazy, we’ve scored in all but one game this season but can’t keep a clean sheet for love nor money. There has to be a balance between the two really or it’s just the reverse of the problems we’ve had for the last 3 seasons.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle is a very tidy footballer. But watching him on the pitch he looks like a child in comparison to even smaller players like Sarabia and Bueno.

Maybe unpopular opinion, but unfortunately I don’t think he has the physicality for the premier league. I can never see him dominating a midfield for example.

The only place I see for him in the side long term is in a 3. And that’s too much of a luxury to have taking up a squad number. I can’t ever see him being a regular starter.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
As always when playing Arsenal away, we were comfortably outplayed for far too long periods, it almost tends to look like a training session.
In second half we managed to create a couple of chances, but apart from the goal, Raya didn't have much to do.
I was positively surprised though by Bentley, he was very comfortable with the ball at his feet, compared with Sa atleast. This would give us another outlet from the back, to initate attacks deeper from behind?

Back
Top Bottom