Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are you worried about next season?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am always looking on the black side of things, so seeing the Newcastle result last night set me off on a bit of a downer.

It is good hear what everyone thinks. Even though I am a bit of a pant wetter, I do think it depends on the summer transfer window.

If we have a good window then I am hopeful we will be OK.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play like we have been and we will go down. But things can change. Fingers crossed

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry: -
The last time we played at molineux in front of a crowd was the 0-0 against Brighton. We didn't play very well although we had a lot of possession, but it was 3 at the back, pace in attack. We had a shape, we had a style and we were solid. We were 6th at the time, trying to chase 4th place, and still on our European adventure. You knew what the team was going to be other than whether we would start with Adama or dendonker.
Out of that team we have lost Doc and Jota already.

I am worried that we are going into next season with no discernable style of our own, that we will have dismantled all that was good about our team and how we play. I am worried about the quality of experienced players that we are able to bring in. I am worried that we will be struggling 8 games in, with a side that is completely indiscernable from the side that we left behind. I'm worried that the crowd will turn and molineux will become a hostile place for our players to play in.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't read through all this but I expect the default Mix position will be 'we'll be fine' and the views will split similarly to the 'Nuno in' and 'Nuno out' factions on here. I'm unsure tbh as it really depends on who comes in and who goes this summer. I'm encouraged that Nuno has admitted that he got the small squad plan wrong, so next season he should have a bigger (and hopefully better quality?) squad to choose from. If this is so and Nuno can pick a reliable 4 at the back, enabling Neves to push further forward, and if Jimenez returns fully fit, then there is hope for a top 10 finish? I would say no better than that unless Nuno can ditch his defensive approach to games and turn us into an exciting (and winning) team again.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Had my Covid booster jab yesterday (a banging headache today is a small price to pay) and with more and more of us having the same, surely crowds in some shape or form will be back and the beautiful game will return to it’s former glory. I think next season will be a big one to determine Nuno’s and some other players futures at Wolves. I have a feeling that Nuno has hit a peak at Wolves but would love to be proved wrong.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I'd be more worried if I was a Norwich, Watford, Saints, Palace, Newcastle and Leeds fan (if Bielsa doesn't renew). Also whoever is promoted via Chump playoffs. Fosun have shown (after first year of ownership) that they react in the right way to mistakes. No reason to doubt they won't do the same this time round.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not keeping me up at night

but there is always a chance we can’t stop the rot and whatever is causing these performances will continue

D

Deleted member 7041

I haven't read through all this but I expect the default Mix position will be 'we'll be fine' and the views will split similarly to the 'Nuno in' and 'Nuno out' factions on here. I'm unsure tbh as it really depends on who comes in and who goes this summer. I'm encouraged that Nuno has admitted that he got the small squad plan wrong, so next season he should have a bigger (and hopefully better quality?) squad to choose from. If this is so and Nuno can pick a reliable 4 at the back, enabling Neves to push further forward, and if Jimenez returns fully fit, then there is hope for a top 10 finish? I would say no better than that unless Nuno can ditch his defensive approach to games and turn us into an exciting (and winning) team again.
Ahhhh the obligatory put the boot in in Nuno final sentence. Glad you are sticking to default , an example to us all. :)

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve got a lot of work to do over the summer and if we don’t get it right we will struggle next season. I am worried as there are a lot of unknowns and this season hasn’t given us anything to be positive about, bar Neto.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get the recruitment right and we'll be comfortably top half and in with a good chance of targeting 7th again. Get it wrong - imagine a new CH like Vallejo and a forward like Cutrone - and we'll be settling for 17th by the end of October! It is clear to me that this summer is not the time for "promising" and "potential", it is the time for 3 proven performers who will immediately improve the starting XI when everyone is fit.

The youngsters in the squad should all improve significantly and we should have more strength in depth but the PL is ruthless so there is no room for complacency.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Get the recruitment right and we'll be comfortably top half and in with a good chance of targeting 7th again. Get it wrong - imagine a new CH like Vallejo and a forward like Cutrone - and we'll be settling for 17th by the end of October! It is clear to me that this summer is not the time for "promising" and "potential", it is the time for 3 proven performers who will immediately improve the starting XI when everyone is fit.

The youngsters in the squad should all improve significantly and we should have more strength in depth but the PL is ruthless so there is no room for complacency.
Totally agree re proven performers. Defence needs at least one quality centre half and a full back due to Jony’s Injury trouble. Could also do with the athletic central midfielder we’ve wanted for the last few transfer windows and a striker ( unless we give Mir a go ).

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See I don't think it is that simple.
I think Fosun showed commitment in the signings they made last season; but i don't think many of the signings have proved their worth so far. Jose on paper looked a good signing. In practice, nope.
Add to that our desire to change style, and the injury backlog and I think there is plenty that can go wrong, even if we splash the cash this summer.
See I don't think it is that simple.
I think Fosun showed commitment in the signings they made last season; but i don't think many of the signings have proved their worth so far. Jose on paper looked a good signing. In practice, nope.
Add to that our desire to change style, and the injury backlog and I think there is plenty that can go wrong, even if we splash the cash this summer.
When I say it will be Ok . I mean at least top 15 .

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have lost count of the seasons I’ve gone into expecting great things and only to be disappointed and vice versa.

my worries or otherwise will be based on pre-season and how we start the season. Will young players kick on? who we sell and who we buy and whether the latter adapt? Perhaps my biggest worry will be whether Nuno is still here or not. I will be more worried if he isn’t here than is here because the changes will be huge and not necessarily cheap. Replacing him will not be a simple process and nor will there be a guarantee of success. I think those who are anti Nuno underestimate this.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So your starting premise is that everyone else will be better next season and we, unless we do something radical, won't. Highly unrealistic but obviously, if that premise is accepted, concerns must follow.
Quite the stretch of logic is it not?

Despite collecting far too many points against us, Burnley could be one to keep an eye on.
Want-away players like Tarkowski, Dyche gently grumbling away behind the scenes about his budget, which is set to become worse.
They’ve been bought in a Glazers style highly leveraged takeover, with the club servicing the debt, so it’s likely that their limited playing budget will shrink.
Palace have a major rebuild due. They have several player’s contracts ending, most of them high wage.
So they’ll have loads to spend on wages, but not the transfer fees on top. (Or indeed, low wages available once those transfer fees are taken out).

Next season could finally be the one where either of both of them bite the dust.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not worried ... but am intrigued as to how things pan out.

The premier league is tough and unforgiving. Let’s hope Nuno acts on his lessons learned ... and acts well.

I just hope to sit in a packed Molineux once more and enjoy a pre and post pint with mates.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was more worried about this season. Iv already heard Trincao is lined up by Mendes for a move to us and the benfica striker could also come that’s on loan at spurs Vinicius

I think a defender and midfielder are the biggest priorities. I will be concerned if we do not sign first teamers for either position.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, that's how I feel. Especially that last part - it is ruthless. And ever changing, what worked last year won't work next. With the latest long term injuries to Neto & Jonny we know we will have to make some *big* signings to remain where we are, let alone surge up the table. I'd be happy with another season of long term consolidation. A couple of big signings, and another step up from the 3 hugely promising prodigies (Fabio, Ait-Nouri, Vitinha) will help. But then there will be knock backs and departures, of course.

As this season was such a mess, the promised transition may well only really get going next season. Would be happy for 10th and again, avoid getting dragged into the bottom 6. A cup run, or is that too much to ask?

Those pesky other teams might be a problem though. They won't politely bow to our superiority! I have a feeling that Norwich and Watford are not going to be as off the pace as Fulham/WBA/Sheff U have been virtually throughout this season. Probably the play off winner will be the one who struggles. Newcastle could be the team that improves - the argument that they would be top half if it hadn't been for injuries is probably as valid for them as it is for us. If Brighton get a striker...they aren't going to be in the Big R battle. Burnley can grind out results when needed ... Hey, it looks like I'm more worried about the bottom than the top :)

Southampton must be a big contender for relegation battle, they've been the worst team in the division this year. Them plus the play off winner, maybe Palace, Burnley, Brighton and a couple of surprises. Villa if Grealish leaves? The Leeds bubble bursts? Or us if we don't get the summer signings right? Can see it being more like the old relegation battles where 7 or 8 teams are in danger of those 3 places as we go into the final month.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a defender and midfielder are the biggest priorities. I will be concerned if we do not sign first teamers for either position.

I think we'll be wanting replacements for Neto and Jonny first? Don't we have enough midfielders and defenders? Though not up to the standard many of us want? If RAn or Podence gets injured, Traore leaves, Raul is not ready - do we actually have forwards available?

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know, it's crazy to start worrying about next season when we don't know the outcome of the summer, who will be leaving, the quality of new recruits, and how Jiminez will perform etc.

But I am really concerned already. We have been fortunate that there has been three very poor teams this season. Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, and Brighton will all hope for better seasons. Brighton have an excellent defence and should have scored way more goals, although Burnley are an aging side they still should have put seven past us and will be better next season. And Southampton will be very disappointed with their performance.

Norwich and Watford have largely kept their squads together and will know what the Premier league is all about now. The team promoted via the playoffs is always going to find it tough, but if its Brentford they have a back of finding good players.

To be honest there is only Crystal Palace who are below us who I expect to have another tough season.

As it stands right now I am struggling to see which teams below us (except Palace) who will be as poor again - possibly Newcastle perhaps.

What worries me is when I look at those teams below us, none have the rebuilding we need or the injuries that will stretch into the season.

I know this is premature, and maybe a really good window will calm us pant wetters. But I genuinely have some concerns.

- We lack goals and there is no guarantee Jiminez will hit the ground running (especially if we sell Adama)

- we will almost certainly change formation & style

- we may have a larger turnover of players than we think - one of Neves or Adama is sure to go

I know I am going to get some pelters for this post, but I am telling you now I have bad feeling.

Let me finish worrying about this season before I start my hand wringing over the next one :p

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'll be wanting replacements for Neto and Jonny first? Don't we have enough midfielders and defenders? Though not up to the standard many of us want? If RAn or Podence gets injured, Traore leaves, Raul is not ready - do we actually have forwards available?

I think this season has shown that we dont have enough defenders. We are playing converted midfielders 90% of the time and they are not good enough. Its the whole reason we play so negatively as we have to protect them.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unquestionably a huge summer ahead.
But I’ve followed WWFC for 40 years and know that the only thing to expect for sure is the unexpected.
I’m not worried about it tbh, as ultimately it is just football and isn’t worth getting wound up about - well not to the point of it consuming my thinking.
I just hope they start with a small target based on this year, eg. Finish above 3 others, and then the targets can evolve as we hopefully do better than this year.
If it goes the other way and we struggle, I’ll carry on supporting as people don’t set out to do a bad job, people don’t deliberately fail in their jobs. It’ll just mean a perfect storm of circumstances have seen the team struggle - a lot like this season tbh.
So am I worried about next season? No, it’ll be what it’ll be.
Am I hoping to see more entertainment? Yes, because it’s been difficult to watch at times this year.
Will I still be there supporting, regardless of success or lack of? Absolutely!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am worried.
We desperatly needs quality central midfield and in defence..and I am not sure at all that those things will be adressed in a proper way given our recent two summer windows.
IMO,we are still struggling concerning right back.I do NOT rate Semedo at all and we have constantly failed filling this position.
I do believe we needs to go with four at the back..we are creating next to nothing with five back there..and we must find a solid rightback that doesn´t have multiple defensive blunders in him like Semedo.
I am not particulary keen on either Coady or Boly in the four at the back scenario.
Boly is turning 30 and seems to have hit his ceiling qualitywise while Coady isn´t suited for a back four lineup.At least one central defender that fits the glove of four at the back must be brought in IMO.

Central midfield is a bit of a mess.Neves is not the player he once was,he has regressed IMO.Joao is simply too old and Vitinha doesn´t strike me as capable yet of playing a full season with the quality required.I do want one defensive midfielder and a decent attacking central midfielder as well.

Is Fabio Silva going to turn out good enough?
Nobody knows at this stage.
Jose is a one way ticket back to Sociedad and God only knows what effect the injury will have on Rauls abilities.

We might very well need another attacker as well.

I don´t feel confident we will adress all those problems in a decent way.We have failed to do so for two windows straight and I see no evidence we will improve.
'
Given the way this season has gone,we will be in a relegation fight nexxt season if at least not midfield and defence is getting quality upgrades this summer.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I don’t think Nuno has admitted that he got the small squad wrong. He knows (as do pretty much all managers) that a small squad is a calculated gamble (lower cost and improved team spirit and cohesion vs lack of injury cover). Nuno’s gamble was on the smaller squad and this year he lost - just like he won in each of the three previous years. He’s also said he’s going to change his approach next year and it’s great to see such a talented manager prepared to learn and grow.

I also disagree with your assertion that Nuno needs to ditch his defensive approach to get us winning again. Nuno’s approach has got us some amazing performances and results but he realises he needs to evolve but bad luck and pandemic have hindered him in this.

what a manager he is!

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carry on like today will be easy money backing against us.

Pathetic from players supposedly been given a chance.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Worried about relegation, not massively. Worried about becoming a Palace with no ambition. Yep

D

Deleted member 8123

Wim gooin down next season with this shower.
Not sure Fosun can or want to spend the required money this shambles needs.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes I am worried because I think we'll need to get some new players in but we're going to have to spend £35-£40 million on Ait-Nouri and Vitinha just to keep the squad we have now..

I'd be amazed if we spend much more without selling players and the only one we'd get decent money for is Traore who we might want to sell but can still do a job for us.

We might have to pass buying Vitinha and Air Nouri to get a CB which would be a real shame.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.
But I worry about every season. It’s ingrained in any Wolves fan over the age of 10.

But we SHOULD have strengthened and should have Raul, Pedro and others back.

plus a full stadium

Back
Top Bottom