Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we.....the bad guys?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the tired old stereotypes of tough honest british lads, vs diving foreign fancy Dans had died out.

How about the down-to-earth diving from good old Honest Harry Kane, Solid Sterling and Grounded Grealish?
I was talking about Wolves. I realise it's probably a difficult concept to grasp on a site dedicated to Wolves and on a thread implying 'are we (Wolves) the bad guys'. :rolleyes:

ChesterWolf

Reaction score
Our diving and time wasting has been embarrassing the past few weeks. However it is laughable that opposition fans who watch their players maliciously hack Traore down have been so quick to call us out on it.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Cloughie once said that if a player is rolling around and banging his hand on the deck then you know he is injured or conning the referee.
It is those incidents where a a player does not move that always worried him.
I remember when the great City and England player Colin Bell went down and laid still after a challenge in the 60/70s
His leg was badly broken if I remember correctly.
Where big money is involved people will cheat and feign injury,it is all part of the game I'm afraid.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent my Marcal to roll back on after taking one in the goolies. The right thing to do. Don't want to defend a corner with 10...

Delay to get his breath and composure back. All men, we've all had at some point so know what it's like :(

Arteta physically rolled one of his players back onto the pitch whilst *******ing him for daring to require treatment on the sideline.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was talking about Wolves. I realise it's probably a difficult concept to grasp on a site dedicated to Wolves and on a thread implying 'are we (Wolves) the bad guys'. :rolleyes:

Ah, silly me. I thought that you literally referred to "UK Clubs" in your post.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sigh... yeah those damn dirty diving foreigners eh, unlike proper honest British lads like Kane, Sterling and Grealish.

Always been the case that English players are allowed to do it

Remember Rooney vs Sol Campbell in the game that ended Arsenal's unbeaten run? Gerrard's dives won Liverpool the CL against Milan too

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always been the case that English players are allowed to do it

Remember Rooney vs Sol Campbell in the game that ended Arsenal's unbeaten run? Gerrard's dives won Liverpool the CL against Milan too
Bang on. And in the interest of fairness we have Coady diving at Anfield last season to get a penalty that got overturned and was a pretty embarrassing dive from our captain.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its pathletic really Podence is probably the worst for it but Neves has been given him a run for his money of late.
Its a foreigner thing and as said it does get results. It does sometimes wind up the oppostion fans too which might not necessarily be a bad thing. I'd hope we'd do it a little less at least
English players are the worst for it now. Kane, Sterling, Grealish, Ali, Maddison, Vardy being just the high profile ones.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not ****housing has cost us 30+ points over the last 3 years, and I’m still waiting for the nice guy prize we got in return…

Exactly this, look how Neves didn't sell that Pogba tackle and what it cost us? There's definitely been some sort of (maybe unofficial) agreement at the club that it was costing us and that needed to change, no problem with that whatsoever. Have we maybe overdone it? sure.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pep's rant was ****housery of the highest order! He knows the game better than to believe anything he said. He wants to win and will say any old rubbish to get opponents to play how he wants them to play. Brilliant that the Leeds 7-0 match followed so closely as that tells you all you need to know!

I think the game has become nastier anyway. It's not just us. Every match has frustrating incidents of diving, play acting, feigning injury. Another big minus for VAR as it has done nothing to address it, nothing at all. The irony being that if you could take out the incessant cheating, you wouldn't need VAR in the first place. They really need to up their game on post-match reviews to punish those who are currently getting away with it. Even worse, they are being enabled by the commentators. There were several dives tonight, Podence did a blatant one, each one given and in every case the commentators going "definitaly a foul" when the replay is showing no contact at all.
It's interesting to note that two of the very worst divers in the Premier league play for him, as in Grealish and Sterling.
You couple that with the fact that his team were taking it in turns to chop down Adama, then it makes for a pot and kettle situation.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting clipped & going down is one thing. If you move your leg to kick another player & fall over, then surely you are the one doing the fouling?

This 100%. In real time, refs have little chance of seeing the difference. But it's easy on slomo replays, in post-match review . I think they really should be doing more of this at the top level.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Football does have this split personality. Off the field it's becoming all nicey-nicey, be kind to everyone, don't say boo to a goose.

But given the opportunity they'd punch their own nan in the face for three points.
To be fair, I'd punch my nan in the face for the exercise.

Reaction score
This 100%. In real time, refs have little chance of seeing the difference. But it's easy on slomo replays, in post-match review . I think they really should be doing more of this at the top level.
In slow motion you can tell when this is happening, it defo needs to be picked up. Not "he was so clever" to engineer a pen/foul, what has happened is they have kicked another player & then play acted to try to get a foul.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In slow motion you can tell when this is happening, it defo needs to be picked up. Not "he was so clever" to engineer a pen/foul, what has happened is they have kicked another player & then play acted to try to get a foul.

And when there is no contact at all! Fairly sure that Podence won one towards end of the first half yesterday, on the edge of their area. Possibly the one he hit tamely into the wall. Anyway, in slowmo, it looked like no contact at all, he just jumped and threw his arms out. It looked a bit fake even at normal speed. One example of many, across all teams.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he really though..? Would love to see him manage the current us against the current Man City and see how he fares
Indeed, lots of City fans think along the same lines - i.e. he can only manage the highest quality players and has never had to work with a squad of average ones

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
We are bad. Our players cheat and time-waste. I hate it. Falling down clutching their face when a shoulder was lightly brushed. Being injured off the pitch, and sneaking back on to waste time!!! In recent games, I think it has gotten worse. We certainly can't complain of other teams/players for doing this.
Problem is if you get pushed into the pitchside hoardings (as Jiminez was against Liverpool) - which by the way was a foul, then you could be treated off the pitch for 3 minutes and the game would carry on with your team down to ten men. You then run the risk of time being added on and the other team scoring in that added time - as Liverpool did !!
The worst one for me is when a player gets lightly brushed by an arm on top of his head then keeps dabbing his mouth looking for that non-existent blood that won't be there !!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo ???? Really ??? Seems to me he goes out of his way to try and stay on his feet.
I thought Semedo went down very easily yesterday at first viewing. Having seen it again though, I can see he was pushed and it's difficult to stay on your feet when that happens.

Don't think it was a penalty (although when Semedo is the offender, as against Leeds, it seems to be one)

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you named the 3 same players - the obvious ones aswell.
Give me 3 more and i'll dip my hat sir
Gareth Bale, Ashley Young for a start.
If you've got a good memory you may remember Micky Thomas 'winning' a free-kick for Wrexham in a cup-tie v Arsenal (1992) and being caught by the TV cameras winking, as he knew he'd conned the ref. Only went and scored from it as well. Its been going on a loooong time, well before the 'foreign' contingent started plying their trade in England in big numbers.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you named the 3 same players - the obvious ones aswell.
Give me 3 more and i'll dip my hat sir

Basically all current/modern footballers.

Rashford
Gerrard, if you go back a few years
Even Coady against Liverpool last year

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gareth Bale, Ashley Young for a start.
If you've got a good memory you may remember Micky Thomas 'winning' a free-kick for Wrexham in a cup-tie v Arsenal (1992) and being caught by the TV cameras winking, as he knew he'd conned the ref. Only went and scored from it as well. Its been going on a loooong time, well before the 'foreign' contingent started plying their trade in England in big numbers.
too young to remember that.
Fair points

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Ever since Brentford.

They really were the masters of the dark arts, not seen anything like it and I’ve seen Mascherano in his prime. But they’re currently the media darlings - newly promoted (like us 2018/19), so they get a pass.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All a player has to do is put his hand on an opponent in the penalty box and there will be the inevitable crumpling to the floor as though shot. It’s a contact sport after all.

I still think there should be zero tolerance on players who dive or exaggerate the contact to either win a free kick or get a player booked, with far more frequent yellows bring shown. Better still, penalise the match day team by sin binning the miscreant for 15 mins.

Or how about they use VAR either game or post game for retrospective punishments. It would be great if such a measure after a game showed player X had dived to win a penalty. Player X gets a retrospect yellow and then deduct any advantage gained by Player X. So if a penalty, goal or sending was the result then those are rescinded and any points gained are deducted and given back to the opposing team.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not keen on it, but let's be honest; the likes of Moutinho, Dendonker and Neves have been surrounding the ref after decisions since we've been in the PL.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Diving and faking ruins the game. I hate to see it from anyone, but I hate it most from our players. Just wish the refs would clamp down on it. We can all see it...?why can't they?

Back
Top Bottom