Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we a smaller club than Brighton & Hove Albion?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're on the crest of a wave and we're scraping the bottom of a valley.

B

bridgnorthwolf

No. Not by a long, long, long way!

They're a good example, on a much smaller scale, of how much progress can be made with a patient, sensible approach though.

W

wolfyjoe

A manager we couldn't afford to approach because he was under contract with them. I bet we've got a similar contract with Stale.

We've just recieved up to 24 million for two of our players and we've spent 3 years in the Prem. I bet we're in a much better financial position than them.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many season ticket holders did we have after Molineux was first rebuilt in the 90s.....

L

luckyjim

They had over 25,000 on tuesday night which is impressive, but they'd have to do it year on year which we have done consistently. Do not have our history either.

A

andyc225

Even by the admission of most of the people on North Stand Chat, we're a far bigger club. However, I do like BHAFC a lot. A few times when I've been at a loose end working in Brighton I've popped over to Falmer to take in a game. They've got a really good thing going there.

S

Sandwell Wolf

PeteWolf is the biggest wind up merchant I've ever seen on any internet forum ever.

B

bridgnorthwolf

We could buy every single one of their players if we wanted to.

Not that we'd really want to, 'cos none of them would get into our team!

#sayyyinnn

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got a comedian amongst us!!

In a word...no.

D

Dewsburywolf

#sayyyinnn

Noone would be a half decent replacement for Jarvis but is still a bit of a work in progress

S

Stratford Wolf

No

Wolverhampton Wanderers is still bigger than
Brighton & Hove Albion

:D

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of squads, I'd certainly say we have stronger side and a better chance of promotion. They are a decent side on the up but they still have a long way to go to overtake us.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their ground looks quality to be fair can't wait to go this season.

I think even their biggest fan would admit they're nowhere near us in terms of size. The West Midlands has been one of the worst effected areas during the recession. Anyone who what our away support and home gates were like before it?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their ground looks quality to be fair can't wait to go this season.

I think even their biggest fan would admit they're nowhere near us in terms of size. The West Midlands has been one of the worst effected areas during the recession. Anyone who what our away support and home gates were like before it?

S

SimplyTheWolves

They're on the up and people want to be a part of it. Brand new stadium that people want to be part of, building a decent team with a decent manager, it's all going well for them at the moment. It's when things begin to stop moving forward or even backwards a truer picture will be known.

I don't begrudge Brighton anything, in fact I'm quite pleased for them especially after what they’ve gone through, but for them to be classed on a par with us will take a lot more success than what 's happened to them recently, and I do mean a lot more.

As Hoganstolemywife says they are on a crest of a wave at the moment, it's when that wave starts to petter out the club and it's fans will show just how big they are.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OP: :withstupid:

Maybe in 500 years or so:p

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you genuinely need to pose the question, then we must have become.

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't we smash the ground and town up like we used to in the 80's at seaside resorts....:goodnight:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A manager we couldn't afford to approach because he was under contract with them. I bet we've got a similar contract with Stale.

We've just recieved up to 24 million for two of our players and we've spent 3 years in the Prem. I bet we're in a much better financial position than them.

Not sure if I'm right here but I think Stale is on a one year rolling contract.

Oh and on the actual topic, we're a bigger club by far. :D

J

johnybig32

Would be more of a debate if it was "West Bromwich Albion."

Brighton? Pull the other one.

B

Bridgnorth Wolf

#sayyyinnn

From 1 towny to another you must live down low town with the retards!

B

Bridgnorth Wolf

Would be more of a debate if it was "West Bromwich Albion."

Brighton? Pull the other one.

Not really, big club status went years ago!

$$$$ me, Vile and West Spam still think they're big clubs!

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are you still not convinced that we do not receive 24 million?

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say yes.

Brighton are a massive club with a history of winning trophies. I believe after beating many of the best sides in Europe such as Real Madrid, Honved, Dinamo Moscow etc they were the reason why the European Cup (or Champions League if you prefer) was invented.

For the past 20 odd years they have consitently averaged 20,000+ crowds, never been out of the top two leagues, won promotion to the Premier League on two occasions and have just sold two of their players for in excess of 24 million pounds.

On the flip side Wolves have spent many of the last twenty scrapping around in the lower echelons of the football league an signing players after a fan won a Coca-Cola competition. All this whilst playing our home games at the local athletics stadium.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm lost.

Some of the transfer fees are apparently in add-ons, reported to be £2m for Fletcher and £3.75m for Jarvis. So really, we'll receive £19 million upfront approximately. Then you have to calculate the 15/20% sell-on profit fee owed to Gillingham and Burnley. Will probably end up around £2 million in total owed to them, meaning we now have roughly £17 million upfront.

In all honesty, i can't see us spending more than £7-8 million of that over the next week or so. If that infact, will probably end up being less if we miss out on key targets like we have done in the past!

F

FLEET WOLF

I'd say yes.

Brighton are a massive club with a history of winning trophies. I believe after beating many of the best sides in Europe such as Real Madrid, Honved, Dinamo Moscow etc they were the reason why the European Cup (or Champions League if you prefer) was invented.

For the past 20 odd years they have consitently averaged 20,000+ crowds, never been out of the top two leagues, won promotion to the Premier League on two occasions and have just sold two of their players for in excess of 24 million pounds.

On the flip side Wolves have spent many of the last twenty scrapping around in the lower echelons of the football league an signing players after a fan won a Coca-Cola competition. All this whilst playing our home games at the local athletics stadium.

Very good Sheriff!

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should have a thread entitled "The Stupid Thread" and then dump all posts which are deemed stupid into it.

We may end up with one huge thread though.... :rolleyes:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk of which club is bigger is nonsense. All that matters is the here and now. This season's league position is far more important to me than how many cups we've won in the past. It is nice to have a history but it exactly that - history. A far more relevant question is can they finish above us this season, which they clearly could.

Man Utd are clearly a "bigger" club in terms of fan base, income, titles etc but that will count for nothing in their supporters eyes if Man City win the PL again this year. History only becomes relevant when you're not winning and fans fall back on it to claim "but we're bigger than you". It's a way of coping with the current lack of success.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It makes me smile when I see all these threads (year after year after year) about are we a bigger club than so and so or is this club bigger than us and so on. For what it's worth ... I couldn't care less if we were the smallest club in the world and everyone thought that Shrewsbury and Walsall were big in comparison to us. I don't need to feel that I support a big club ... I just support Wolves. All the posturing that goes on betwen fans (and, indeed, radio pundits - you know who you are, Durham!) is unnecessary.

Who really cares if Brighton are a bigger club than us? Really? And if it's you, why do you care? How does it iimpact your life or your self esteem in any way?

Just a question or two ... not looking for a fight or anything.

P

PeteWolf

For some people it matters GC.

OK, so history aside, it's an interesting comparison on the crowds. I'm not sure we'd come close to 22,000 STH's in this league. Weren't we all ecstatic with 14k?

You can't knock them for that.

Back
Top Bottom