Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Another rumour about Nuno.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simeone is having a bad season. Barca and Real Madrid are both having a mediocre season and Simeone's Atlectico have not made the most of it. PSG is a promotion and you usually get promoted when you are doing well.
Nuno is going nowhere, but Atletico does tick all the boxes, if he does leave in the future.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we should get used to the fact that because Wolves have so much talent, there will always be dubious rumours and gossip.
We don’t have to create a thread for them......just let them slide on by.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't clicked the link but can see why Nuno would be near the top of their list.
In terms of being defensive and cautious Nuno and Simeone have similarities.
Its been tough season for Simeone but was always going to be after losing Juanfran Luis and Godin. He's had to try and fit flair players in like felix Lemar and it's not really worked. He's been unlucky with injuries too.
Can see why Psg would want Simeone to get results in knockout stages of Cl.
Need to get Nuno tied down but there's no getting away from it Atletico is an attractive job

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I did think that A Madrid was a more likely destination for Nuno than Arsenal or Man Utd a few months back, what worries me is that it won’t just be Nuno we loose but that all of his the back room team will go with him, a huge void to fill, let’s just pray it’s a load of crap

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nuno suits Atletico unfortunately. They aren’t ***** about attacking football and are happy sitting back and winning.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did think that A Madrid was a more likely destination for Nuno than Arsenal or Man Utd a few months back, what worries me is that it won’t just be Nuno we loose but that all of his the back room team will go with him, a huge void to fill, let’s just pray it’s a load of crap

At a time we lack the Sporting Director who would be tasked with filling those roles...

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, and a big if, he was to go, is there one of his team that may step up into his shoes for continuity?

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Mmm. Wouldn’t shock me, but would be gutting. We’ll find out in the summer what’s happening, negative news or otherwise.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeffs gonna have to roll his sleeves up and step in. I have every faith in him, he's took over Dalrymple, the u12s recruitment, stood in for everyone whilst they went on annual leave, I'm sure he's got this.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are several considerations that argue against Nuno going to a 'big club':
  1. He doesn't like the media spotlight and the media attention is always much more intense at a 'big club' than it is at Wolves;
  2. The fans of 'big clubs' are much more demanding of managers/head coaches than Wolves fans are of Nuno. They demand instant or almost instant success from a new appointee. Nuno fell foul of this kind of fan demand at Valencia and Porto and lost his job as a consequence both times;
  3. He prefers to work with a small squad and humble players. 'Big clubs' aren't notable for either characteristic!
  4. At Wolves Nuno has been able to mould the club to his requirements from the ground up, an opportunity he is never going to get at a 'big club'. Is the allure of a 'big club' enough compared to having a club that is 'made-to-measure' for Nuno?
As this interview with Nuno indicates, he isn't someone who is in thrall to fame and fortune, so I wonder whether he actually will be someone who prefers being massive at Molineux with everything organised according to his requirements and inclinations, rather than being at a more obviously glamourous club with the headaches and aggro that are likely to accompany any such switch and the consequent attempt to get secure and comfortable in the new hot seat?

arooooo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm imagining that Nuno and Jeff, the PTB, et cetera, have a back-of-the-mind understanding, and that (at least in the near term) all shall, after all, be bloody ****ing well...!
Nae worries in my mind, at least.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
About time this was posted again.....The Mendes carousel. He was doing business with them well before he was anywhere near us. We've yet to see where we fit in the pecking order of the jigsaw because nearly all our traffic has been inwards as we build value, but it's probably below Athletico who've won recent European competitions, got to a Champions League final, and are pushing again this year, though seen to be underachieving in 4th place!

I guess as long as we retain a good team and keep building with great managers and incoming players, it doesn't really matter who the players and managers are, as long as we keep getting better. Rather have Nuno for another 2 seasons to actually cement his time here as a legacy that is blueprinted.

The Jorge Mendes carousel: a look at the past and predicting what comes next — TugaScout

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As much as we all love Nuno if he was to leave we just need to make sure we replace him with someone better.

If we want to progress you have to look at everyone now as being replaceable.

Just because Nuno leave it can't be the end of our success and that's the same with Jimenez , traore, nerves etc

I would be gutted if he did go but it doesn't mean we are going to go back to be rubbish as long as we keep moving forward.

Leicester being the example of selling your best players for big money and replacing them

Southampton being the example of swing your best players and not replacing them

D

Deleted member 5635

Let's hope it's the start of negotiations for a shiny new improved 4 year contract.

W

WasStefan

Simeone is having a bad season. Barca and Real Madrid are both having a mediocre season and Simeone's Atlectico have not made the most of it. PSG is a promotion and you usually get promoted when you are doing well.
Nuno is going nowhere, but Atletico does tick all the boxes, if he does leave in the future.
No it isn’t. Atletico > PSG

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the worst happens which of our current players do you think he’d try and get first?

S

Singaporewolf

There's also a piece about Nuno in the Telegraph. But it's behind a paywall. Any mixers feel like pasting it here? (is that legal?) Or PM it to me. Thanks!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'll all go with him. Theyre only here because he is.
Lose Nuno and Wolves lose the entire entourage - and a few players.

Of course, any club is bigger than any manager but he would be the hardest to replace in my lifetime.

However, Fosun's ten year vision must surely have had no idea at the beginning that Nuno would be key to where they want Wolves to be - he wasn't even second choice. I feel they got lucky with Nuno.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how those type of stories appear on the eve of an important game for uso_O

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t read anything to it. On the eve of a big game on the back of Jose’s comments see what happens if Simeone was to leave

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are several considerations that argue against Nuno going to a 'big club':
  1. He doesn't like the media spotlight and the media attention is always much more intense at a 'big club' than it is at Wolves;
  2. The fans of 'big clubs' are much more demanding of managers/head coaches than Wolves fans are of Nuno. They demand instant or almost instant success from a new appointee. Nuno fell foul of this kind of fan demand at Valencia and Porto and lost his job as a consequence both times;
  3. He prefers to work with a small squad and humble players. 'Big clubs' aren't notable for either characteristic!
  4. At Wolves Nuno has been able to mould the club to his requirements from the ground up, an opportunity he is never going to get at a 'big club'. Is the allure of a 'big club' enough compared to having a club that is 'made-to-measure' for Nuno?
As this interview with Nuno indicates, he isn't someone who is in thrall to fame and fortune, so I wonder whether he actually will be someone who prefers being massive at Molineux with everything organised according to his requirements and inclinations, rather than being at a more obviously glamourous club with the headaches and aggro that are likely to accompany any such switch and the consequent attempt to get secure and comfortable in the new hot seat?
To be fair l would say Atletico are more of a big 'small' club. They are where we would hope to be in the next 10 years, successful but including buying players cheap and sell dear in their operating model.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is a great interview with Nuno in the Telegraph today, don't think he is in any rush to jump ship.....read it on another forum, someone copy and pasted, dunno if its behind a paywall

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is a one off. Fosun have been very quiet. Too quiet in my view. They need now to walk the talk on all fronts. The delays and uncertainties to re-building Molineux don't help plus no movement yet on Nuno and Boly contracts.

Nuno needs a very special project to develop asap if he is not to leave for the likes of AM that are bound to come calling.

Losing Thelwell, Dalrymple and the head of our medical department without proper replacements is a bit mystifying.
There needs to be some very positive signals and actions from Fosun in the next couple of months. Not only for the fans' sake as reassurance but also to indicate clearly to Nuno that Fosun will put in massive investment as needed to make the club a sustainable success over the next decade. A decade where they want Nuno alone to guide the ship and to be paid accordingly.

All feels a bit too passive right now which could be dangerous when Nuno is increasingly a prime target for the big clubs. Or am I being unfair?

If he goes we are bugg...d

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair l would say Atletico are more of a big 'small' club. They are where we would hope to be in the next 10 years, successful but including buying players cheap and sell dear in their operating model.

Be that as it may (and I agree about AM), there is still a big risk involved in moving from a club where you are revered and everything is done your way, to a club which moves to a different beat and where you have to start your 'revolution' (or 'Nunolution') from scratch in the media spotlight with big fan expectation and a different cohort of players bought by someone else (according to their criteria, not yours), who may not share the attitude profile that you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom