Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Alternatives to Gary O'Neill

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big Mick would get us fighting tooth and nail but do we have the players for his and O’Neil style of play? No we don’t

Has to be Hassenhuttl 100%

SingleMalt

Reaction score
They've quite recently ****ed up with Saunders, Zenga, Solbakken and the other one, so I can't believe some of the names they may be seriously considering. What a total **** up.
Solbakken and Saunders were hired by Morgan. Mind you they look in good company with Zenga and Lage, similar levels of competence between those four.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potter would be the only other name I would look at. From the sounds of things Wolves have already done interviews and are set on Gary.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui is going and we can’t get Nuno back (we can’t), then I’d actually be ok with Hassenhuttl getting the gig. Certainly not my first pick, but the best from a seemingly uninspiring bunch in my opinion.

Thing is, we all know it’s O’Neil, I can’t see a scenario where if Lopetegui leaves that it’s not O’Neil given the amount of coverage his name is getting, that’s obviously come from somewhere.

There is no way he decides to turn it down, and similarly no chance Shi has a change of heart. O’Neil was the most impressive candidate after all, and Shi knows best… so, the new manager is O’Neil, getting our hopes up over other candidates is sadly pointless.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you want, within reason, that is currently available? Here is a non-exhaustive list of available managers:

Category A: Not a chance.
  • Antonio Conte, Julian Nagelsmann, Zinedine Zidane
Category B: Ambitious, would be very happy with any of these.
  • Graham Potter, Christophe Galtier, Joachim Low, Andre Villas-Boas, Marcelo Bielsa, Marcelo Gallardo
Category C: Interesting, but perhaps uninspiring.
  • OG Solskjaer, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Lucien Favre, Rafa Benitez, Patrick Vieira
Category D: Steer well clear.
  • Gary O'Neil, Ralph Hassenhuttl, Jesse Marsch, Frank Lampard, Dean Smith, Sam Allardyce, Javi Gracia, Nathan Jones, Gennaro Gattuso, Scott Parker, Carlos Carvalhal, Alex McLeish, Vitor Pereira, Claude Puel, Steve Bruce

everyone above cat D will not take the job. We are shopping in group D. This is the issue

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui is going and we can’t get Nuno back (we can’t), then I’d actually be ok with Hassenhuttl getting the gig. Certainly not my first pick, but the best from a seemingly uninspiring bunch in my opinion.

Thing is, we all know it’s O’Neil, I can’t see a scenario where if Lopetegui leaves that it’s not O’Neil given the amount of coverage his name is getting, that’s obviously come from somewhere.

There is no way he decides to turn it down, and similarly no chance Shi has a change of heart. O’Neil was the most impressive candidate after all, and Shi knows best… so, the new manager is O’Neil, getting our hopes up over other candidates is sadly pointless.
I just already cringe at the idea of the post match interviews, it'll be like Terry Connor all over again!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheri Lunghi please.

We are shopping in Category D because that is now our level of attraction.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
everyone above cat D will not take the job. We are shopping in group D. This is the issue
I thought the Premier League was supposed to be the greatest league in the world. I'm sure we could do much much better than the Category D type, but that would take planning (something Jeff's not very good at). There will be lots of good managers around who would be prepared to take the job that aren't household names to us, but I can't name them. If we employed Steve Bruce I think I would self combust (and I've just finished 30 minutes of meditation).

Last edited:

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we are shopping in cat d now, especially with the pay off we’ve probably had to fork out on, so out of those I’d take Hassenhuttl (I’d forgotten he was out there)

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I thought the Premier League was supposed to be the greatest league in the world. I'm sure we could do much much better than the Category D type, but that would take planning (something Jeff's not very good at). There will be lots of good managers around who would be prepared to take the job that aren't household names to us, but I can't name them. If we employed Steve Bruce I think I would self combust (and I've just finished 30 minutes of mediation).
One problem. We can't afford anyone above category D. We are just about to pay off JL and his crew and will probably have to sell another player to finance it. I'm not even sure we can afford Hassenhutl and his merry men, my preference to O'Neil. That's how skint we seem to be. Very depressing.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potter for me with Ruud as a wild card alternative.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you want, within reason, that is currently available? Here is a non-exhaustive list of available managers:

Category A: Not a chance.
  • Antonio Conte, Julian Nagelsmann, Zinedine Zidane
Category B: Ambitious, would be very happy with any of these.
  • Graham Potter, Christophe Galtier, Joachim Low, Andre Villas-Boas, Marcelo Bielsa, Marcelo Gallardo
Category C: Interesting, but perhaps uninspiring.
  • OG Solskjaer, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Lucien Favre, Rafa Benitez, Patrick Vieira
Category D: Steer well clear.
  • Gary O'Neil, Ralph Hassenhuttl, Jesse Marsch, Frank Lampard, Dean Smith, Sam Allardyce, Javi Gracia, Nathan Jones, Gennaro Gattuso, Scott Parker, Carlos Carvalhal, Alex McLeish, Vitor Pereira, Claude Puel, Steve Bruce
Hassenhuttl is ok.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the Premier League was supposed to be the greatest league in the world. I'm sure we could do much much better than the Category D type, but that would take planning (something Jeff's not very good at). There will be lots of good managers around who would be prepared to take the job that aren't household names to us, but I can't name them. If we employed Steve Bruce I think I would self combust (and I've just finished 30 minutes of mediation).

These managers aren't desperate and know how much of a **** show we are right now. If this was even a semi meh project Lopetegui stays. We've in the situation that teams find themselves in February onwards, in the relegation zone desperate and nobody good is answering the phone

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potter would be the only other name I would look at. From the sounds of things Wolves have already done interviews and are set on Gary.
If someone had asked you a couple of days ago who'd be your shortlist for a new manager, you would have said Graham Potter and Gary O'Neil?

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Ince not on the list? Did a decent job with no money at Reading.

Knows the club and will be cheap so Shi will be happy.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just having a bit of fun but if the choice was O'Neil or Mick, who would you go for? Thumbs up for Gary, that love emoji thing for Big Mick.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just having a bit of fun but if the choice was O'Neil or Mick, who would you go for? Thumbs up for Gary, that love emoji thing for Big Mick.
That's the wrong emoji Padraig. You need to up your emoji game.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Failing at Blackpool would be ideal training for our current ****-storm.

Being serious, and we might have to pay some compo, but if we are bargain basement shopping we could do worse than Mark Robbins who has done an epic job at Cov.
Agree about Robbins

Back
Top Bottom