Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Adama and Raul

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what was the reason they gave as to why they had to leave ??

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez was one of the best #9s in the league before Luiz took him out.

I was showing my young son the 2-0 against Man City from a couple of years back and even in that difficult game, his hold up play and vision was superb.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was showing my young son the 2-0 against Man City from a couple of years back and even in that difficult game, his hold up play and vision was superb.
What a double winning Sunday that was. Watched the Raiders beat the Bears at the Tottenham stadium the same afternoon

Rowzed

Reaction score

that was one of my favourite wins of all time. But he has been creating chances this afternoon for Fulham, at least two good opportunities missed by others In the last 10 minutes. Just hope he can start scoring again
he’s still a very good player.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would both have stayed if GON was in charge at the time of their departure?
No. AT was stalling on contract for literally years. Was never staying.
Pride at not being the big dog any more was probably the reason for Raul. Footballers can be nice guys and still have big egos.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would both have stayed if GON was in charge at the time of their departure?
Good question. But the very quiet exit of Mouthino and some other rumblings makes me presume that the atmosphere at Compton probably wasn’t ‘peachy’…….still may not be.
Hopefully Gary can build the squad into a ‘team’ and make them believe in him and his ideas.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul maybe it was obviously he had an issue with Lopetegui
I wonder if JL created tensions within Compton.
In fairness to him, he may have thought that a tough approach from him was needed to change the squad mentality that Lage had left.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. AT was stalling on contract for literally years. Was never staying.
Pride at not being the big dog any more was probably the reason for Raul. Footballers can be nice guys and still have big egos.

Sometimes you just need a fresh start not necessarily ego tbf. Raul especially after everything probably felt that.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness to him, he may have thought that a tough approach from him was needed to change the squad mentality that Lage had left.
I would say that Nuno would have not been favoured by a few but most would have backed him and shown their loyalty and unity. I cannot feel confident that would have been the case with JLo.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Good question. But the very quiet exit of Mouthino and some other rumblings makes me presume that the atmosphere at Compton probably wasn’t ‘peachy’…….still may not be.
Hopefully Gary can build the squad into a ‘team’ and make them believe in him and his ideas.
I think the most likely explanation is that when the plan of how we were going into this season became clearer, (plan B rather than plan C!) Lopetegui knew that he'd have to lose the high earner who weren't going to be key. Adama obviously out of contract anyway, Moutinho maybe had some hopes of another year that went, Raul likewise was an expensive bit part player. I think the relationship with Raul probably was fractious from the start, some of that at least is down to the inept work of our medical team in the autumn failing to correctly deal with Raul's issues, part of it is down to Raul putting Mexico first in an ultimately badly judged effort to help them at the WC.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wondered if certain players, mostly those on big wages, being moved on was a precursor to the financial clampdown this summer.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wondered if certain players, mostly those on big wages, being moved on was a precursor to the financial clampdown this summer.
Who knows? But I feel, ( no proof), that it was a case of players rushing to get off the sinking ship. Regardless of how or why he left, JL’s leaving may have been the last straw for some players.
Did they want another awful season fighting relegation without JL?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore frustrated the hell out of me, more than any recent Wolves player I can think of (well, probably not as much as Podence TBF). BUT, he was also the player who got me off my seat (metaphorically as I stand :p ) most apart from Diogo Jota. Seemed like a nice chap too, so only wish him well - apart from in a couple of fixtures.

Raul was exceptionally good for us for the first 2.5 years here. Genuinely top 5 striker in the league at the time of the major head injury. Even afterwards he was still the best ST in our squad pretty much! Love the bloke, he provided or participated in some of my happiest memories for Wolves. Really hope he can find some goals again, he deserves it.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just had a conversation with a good Fulham mate of mine about Raul. He said: we definitely had our pants pulled down when we signed him off you.
Sadly, if they feel that way, it’s their own fault. Since the injury, there was barely a glimmer that Raul was anywhere near the player he was prior to the horrific injury. For the amount they paid, you could say they knew exactly what they were getting.

I am absolutely amazed that he ever played again and that is testimony to the type of guy he is but unfortunately, he will never be the player he was.

It’s strange in a way but Raul and Adama were my two favourite players and I thought I’d miss them terribly but I haven’t. I haven’t even looked to see if they have been playing.

I guess it makes it easier when you know, we had the best years from them both and it was the right time to leave.

floydstreet

Reaction score
A too human being, superb striker who understandably his career was affected by that accident.

Wish him well no matter what
Go to Saudi and play for nuno Raul

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is ashame but he was a non entity against a poor chelsea defence tonight.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed Jimenez a shadow of his former self last night, bit sad really, hope he finds some form.

As for Adama already missed more consecutive games with injury for Fulham than he ever missed for us!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a harsh thing to say but (for me) reality, we got two players who for various reason the the downward slide of their careers.

An aside but Fosun and the management team here get pelters (rightly at times) but since Fosun came in how many players have left us for bigger and better? One obvious one in Jota and financially for him neves albeit not from a sporting point. Then Patricio but on the whole the rest have either regressed or at very best gone to similar levels.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An aside but Fosun and the management team here get pelters (rightly at times) but since Fosun came in how many players have left us for bigger and better? One obvious one in Jota and financially for him neves albeit not from a sporting point. Then Patricio but on the whole the rest have either regressed or at very best gone to similar levels.
That's a failure on Fosun's part then as it was clearly meant to be their original plan in tandem with Gestitute of bringing in players and being able to get them moved on to greener pastures for a healthy profit.

Very few of the players brought in have developed well enough at Wolves to be able to make the desired step up and we've ended up clogging up our FFP situation so badly as a result that we can barely make any moves in the transfer market anymore while the millions blown on the Cutrones, Silvas, Guedeses of recent years still hang over the accounts. We got very fortunate that De Bruyne got crocked and City went out looking for midfielders to get rid of Nunes at profit and at least give us the chance of Bellegarde.

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama has a hamstring issue apparently.

Looks like the start of the decline for him I'm afraid!

Most players we've seen in the Premier League who rely on explosive pace don't tend to get better into their late 20s. In fact, they tend to drop off a cliff, especially when the hamstring injuries start.

Michael Owen, Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon spring to mind.

Of those 3, Owen was able to re-invent himself as more of a goal-poacher, but Adama doesn't have that in his locker. Fulham is probably about his level now.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama has a hamstring issue apparently.

Looks like the start of the decline for him I'm afraid!

Most players we've seen in the Premier League who rely on explosive pace don't tend to get better into their late 20s. In fact, they tend to drop off a cliff, especially when the hamstring injuries start.

Michael Owen, Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon spring to mind.

Of those 3, Owen was able to re-invent himself as more of a goal-poacher, but Adama doesn't have that in his locker. Fulham is probably about his level now.

And Ryan Giggs, changed his game so much that younger fans thought he'd never had pace..... :)

Back
Top Bottom