Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Accounts due today

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this some time ago, Villa make Blues's Misdemeanour on FFP look like scrumping compared to grand Larceny !

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’re either in complete denial or don’t understand basic FFP rules.

Expect a points deduction &/or transfer embargo

but, but....."they're minted". :)

If i read that right, they lost £38 million excluding wages, which could be another £60-70 million ?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

If i read that right, they lost £38 million excluding wages, which could be another £60-70 million ?

Yep. That’s how I read it too.

Points deduction looming...

D

Deleted member 5962

Little bit of a issue here for me. The players wages are on the books of a seperate company to Aston Villa FC according to that twitter thread.

Is that not third party ownership?

D

Deleted member 3751

That's also how I read it. It appears a blatant disregard for FFP, next few days/weeks could be interesting

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Tom Watson will be writing to the Prime Minister again.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
These have been filed today and are being processed so should be available either tomorrow or the day after.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2017 figures in brackets

Profit/Loss
-£55.15m ( -£20.5m )

Turnover
£26.4m ( £23.7m )

Wage bill
£50.7m ( £28.2m )

STH
21,233 ( 13,757 )

Av Attendance
28,298 ( 21,572 )

Since May 31 we have spent £109.65m on players.

Last edited:

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perks of pesky Wage Bill demands to put it simply!

We shouldn’t be too worried, particularly with STH’s up, turnover up, revenue up and much more.

2018/19’s should put us back in the Black, with the huge numbers of the Premier League coming into play.

D

Deleted member 3751

Time to be thankful for promotion bonuses (assuming they're in that colossal wage bill) not being counted by FFP and amortization I think! Otherwise we'd have obliterated the £39m limit

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What actually is counted by FFP now? Nothing makes much sense

P

paddy

If you’re a big club you count what you like and allocate across any club or business you own

D

Deleted member 3751

What actually is counted by FFP now? Nothing makes much sense
First team costs essentially, mainly transfer fees and basic wages. Promotion bonuses aren't counted because they're only payable if you get promoted. Then you also get to amortise your spending in FFP, whereas the official accounts will take it all out as a straight profit/loss

At least this is how I believe it works! Slight differences but the big £55m loss will be way above what we've lost with regards to FFP

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which goes to show, attendance is nice for the atmosphere and the support it gives to the team, but in the larger financial picture turnover is not drastically improved:

Attendance up by 31%
Turnover up only 11.4%

The money you bring in at the turnstiles, although important, is not a vital part of your finances.

Some might say duh... sherlock.

But it goes to show that survival in the premiere (outside top 6) and the chump needs money from marketing, sponsorships, and television and a tightly run ship.

Getting a larger capacity is not as good a money making venture as it seems, but rather a means to keep the supporters happy.

Or do a Southampton equivalent of a puppy farm and sell off every good player that comes through the ranks and always hope to find the next batch of good kids that can see you through another season to only sell again once they start wanting higher wages.

Last edited:

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does this have any effect on this season or in future? Does it make any difference in future spending? Just asking if there is some bright accountant or someone who understands accounts better than me. (Not difficult).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet they get away with it.
l seriously doubt it. The EFL really wouldn't want to face Blues, QPR, Pompey, Luton and every other team they've punished for FFP in Court in front of a proper judge to explain the inconsistency...

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does this have any effect on this season or in future? Does it make any difference in future spending? Just asking if there is some bright accountant or someone who understands accounts better than me. (Not difficult).
Of course it has an effect. Everything does.
However, this is not a bad financial picture. From an economist point of view.
Looking forward, you can say that the increased loss is a necessary capital expenditure, an investment for short-term to medium term growth.

It all depends on the other branches of the "business":
Marketing, television, sponsors.

All these will definitely see the turnover increase hugely in the next annual accounts.

Shirts alone sold to record levels. Television income will be huge compared to previous rates. Shirt sponsors are also expected to have paid more (I would hope). I also would expect a large increase in advertising revenues.

And as unpalatable as this may sound, we have appreciated the value of assets. Many of our players are now worth more on the market.

The accounts that matter are the next 2-3 years as to whether Wolves are really back and here to stay with the big boys.

And yes, getting into Europe won't hurt, all you silly gooses that want Wolves to stay home.

Last edited:

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

FFP is over a rolling 3 year period, so these losses will eat into what we’re allowed to lose in current/future years.

In 2016/2017 we posted a loss of £23m.
In 2017/2018 we now post a loss of £55m.

There are exclusions for FFP though (e.g. academy etc) so those numbers will be lower for FFP calculations.

For this year, the two (FFP adjusted) losses above plus projections of 2018/2019 accounts will be used for FFP calculations.

So in short yes, it will affect how much we are allowed to lose but given our activity last summer I doubt there is much to worry about regarding losses for FFP.

Our biggest issue is the yearly constraints on wage increases.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First team costs essentially, mainly transfer fees and basic wages. Promotion bonuses aren't counted because they're only payable if you get promoted. Then you also get to amortise your spending in FFP, whereas the official accounts will take it all out as a straight profit/loss

At least this is how I believe it works! Slight differences but the big £55m loss will be way above what we've lost with regards to FFP
When you say you get to amortise your spending in FFP, you don't amortise everything, just anything classed as an asset, such as a players transfer fee which is amortised over the contract length. You can't amortise day to day costs as they are accounted for as they occur.

Player transfers are amortisable because that player continues to hold a value to the club (i.e they "own" the player and he will usually only move on through being sold) over the length of the contract.

I'm unsure if you can amortise signing on fee's as part of the initial cost mind, I can't say I've ever done accounts for a football club...

D

Deleted member 4099

Only if we go down. Bournemouth were in a similar position when they came up.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
380B5BD8-8D9F-46D6-9C29-C6E14DF80F2F.jpeg

It does raise the question of how we managed to pass FFP last year though using SwissRambles analysis from last year as a basis.

As with a £55m loss for 2017/2018 that would put us over the allowed loss limit of £39m.

D

Deleted member 3751

When you say you get to amortise your spending in FFP, you don't amortise everything, just anything classed as an asset, such as a players transfer fee which is amortised over the contract length. You can't amortise day to day costs as they are accounted for as they occur.

Player transfers are amortisable because that player continues to hold a value to the club (i.e they "own" the player and he will usually only move on through being sold) over the length of the contract.

I'm unsure if you can amortise signing on fee's as part of the initial cost mind, I can't say I've ever done accounts for a football club...

Yeah that's what I meant. Spending as in transfer spending. Most day to day costs as far as I'm aware don't count towards FFP anyway.

Was actually wondering as to whether every transfer fee would get amortised or just the significant ones... we'd still be showing a payment of about £800 a year for Matt Doherty!

Last edited by a moderator:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worth remembering of the transfers we signed permanently under Fosun we did on nice long 5 year contracts to offset the fee on ffp and loaned others on effective hire purchase so our ffp losses will be way lower than the actual book loss.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what Fulhams accounts look like?

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£110m on players:

Boly £10m
Afobe £10m
Patricio £18m
Jota £12m
Vinagre £5m
Moutinho £5m
Bonatini £5m
Traore £18m
Dendonker £12m
Jonny £15m

Something like that I’d imagine.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I meant. Spending as in transfer spending.

Was actually wondering as to whether every transfer fee would get amortised or just the significant ones... we'd still be showing a payment of about £800 a year for Matt Doherty!
Just read in the accounts, signing on fee's are also amortised. So I expect there were some hefty signing on fee's for some of our players to enable us to pay reasonably low wages in order to aid with FFP. Suspect this is why Neves for instances got a new contract in the summer, another chunk of money as a signing on fee for the renewal of his contract that can then be spread over 5 more years.

All transfer fees would be amortised I'd imagine, as every player is an asset of the company regardless of how significant or not the actual fee is. I don't know it for a fact, but I'd say the initial transfer fee plus signing on fees etc would be amortised over the initial contract period. When a player is given a new extended contract, the remainder of the balance not yet amortised along with any new signing on fees etc would then be amortised again over the new contract length.

So If the total transfer amount and fees etc is £10m on a 5 year contract it would be £2m a year. If they then sign a new 5 year contract after 2 years there would be £6m left, say another £1m in signing on fees etc then the £7m would be amortised over a further 5 years which would be £1.4m a year.

I'd imagine Doherty's £75k is down to about a tenner a month now! Although I suspect he got a decent signing on fee with his new contract...

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 9204

It does raise the question of how we managed to pass FFP last year though using SwissRambles analysis from last year as a basis.

As with a £55m loss for 2017/2018 that would put us over the allowed loss limit of £39m.

Those figures are based on a projection for this season as if we were still a championship club.

So they need adjusting for Premiership status, which means a much higher permissible loss figure, (35m),
and a much higher income figure, which leads to a very different profit/loss calculation.

Also important to remember, that the FFP applies not a one season basis, but as averages over any given
three years. This means that Wolves were inside the regulations for season 2016/17 as the two previous years
of profit were taken into account. However it does look as if Wolves were over the the FFP cumulative total
of 39m loss for seasons 2015/16, 16/17, 17/18. More detail on the character of the losses, and, in particular,
if some of the losses were involved in training ground improvements, and Academy development. This would
be excluded from the FFP calculations.

Dalrymple did say at one point last season that Wolves would be in a difficult situation if they had not been promoted,
with regards to FFP and hinted that sales would have been necessary to stay within the guidelines.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

If you look through the accounts carefully, it does state that player amortisation is already taken into account in the loss figure.

From page 2: "Player trading in the year generated profit of £8.1m through disposal of players' registrations but this was outweighed by higher amortisation and impairment charges on player registrations of £16.1m, primarily driven by investments in the first team squad in recent years, including Neves, Costa, Cavaleiro and Saiss, resulting in a net Player Trading loss of £8.0m."

And on page 10, the Profit and Loss Account, it states Player trading operating expenses as a loss of £16.1m (as above), and Profit on disposal of players' registrations of £8.1m (as above), providing a "Loss before net financing" in the player trading column of £8.024m (as above). So it's fairly certain the underlying figures in these accounts have taken amortisation into account already.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£110m on players:

Boly £10m
Afobe £10m
Patricio £18m
Jota £12m
Vinagre £5m
Moutinho £5m
Bonatini £5m
Traore £18m
Dendonker £12m
Jonny £15m

Something like that I’d imagine.

Dendoncker and Jonny wouldn't be part of those figures as Jonny was January and Dendoncker will be the summer.

I did this a while ago, just updated it for Patricio's fee and Jonny: -

upload_2019-3-5_8-47-40.png

Of that, as I'd say Jonny and Dendoncker wouldn't be in last years accounts, and I'd guess Patricio may not as it was resolved months later. So take those 3 out and its not too far out.

Back
Top Bottom