Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

A more patient Molineux?

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I had a thought during Saturdays game against Cardiff.

Has dropping down to league 1 given us the crowd a bit of time to get used to the more patient playing style?
Ie passing the ball out from the back, midfielders taking the ball in tight situations etc?
But doing this in league 1 where there's a bit more space generally so we can get used to seeing it as much as the players can doing it?

The reason why I thought this was against Cardiff there was none of the old anxiety from the crowd especially in the second half when it looked like we wernt gonna make a breakthrough.

In the past the crowd has turned on the team even when we've been winning and trying to control the game.

Was it because we weren't used to seeing the boys controlling the ball like we are now??

Onwards & upwards, UTW

D

Deleted member 4184

GERRIT FORWARD

That used to do my head in, I'm inclined to agree with you, although there is some sections of crowd who will disagree.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

I'd like to think you are right, but when results turn (which they do however well you do) the crowd will be moaning when we are 'messing about with it' at the back.

All fans would be like that, but we are more inpatient than others.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts...

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had a thought during Saturdays game against Cardiff.

Has dropping down to league 1 given us the crowd a bit of time to get used to the more patient playing style?
Ie passing the ball out from the back, midfielders taking the ball in tight situations etc?
But doing this in league 1 where there's a bit more space generally so we can get used to seeing it as much as the players can doing it?

The reason why I thought this was against Cardiff there was none of the old anxiety from the crowd especially in the second half when it looked like we wernt gonna make a breakthrough.

In the past the crowd has turned on the team even when we've been winning and trying to control the game.

Was it because we weren't used to seeing the boys controlling the ball like we are now??

Onwards & upwards, UTW

With Wolves hasn't it always been about the opposition and our own perceptions of how games should pan out, rather than actually viewing what's happening on the pitch right in front of them?

Cardiff were probably the best of the teams to drop down last year and they've spent decent money....so we respect them more.
We're coming up and are still testing ourselves, but the expectation is that we're the underdog so we're more patient ?
If Wolves had come down from the Prem and Cardiff had come up from Div1, would the patient support have been there on Saturday, even if we had still dominated possession at nearly 70%?
I doubt it very much, history says Wolves fans are not patient for long, whatever the circumstances.

I still remember Graham Taylor leaving after the team was booed off after what was perceived as a dreadful 0.0 home result against unfashionable Charlton ....who were just starting on that fabulous period under Alan Curbishley where they spent 10 years in the Prem. and he was probably the best performing manager in the country.
Because it was little Charlton, he got the sack. If it had been a hard fought draw against a big club like Newcastle, he might have saved his job and our history might have been different. Perceptions.
Wolves meanwhile messed about aimlessly under McGhee and Colin Lee for 6 years with Hayward turning his golden tit on and off without any real consistency or methodology or return on his investment, while Graham Taylor went to Watford and got them successive promotions to the Premier League within 2 seasons.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

The state of this message board after the Rotherham and Northampton games probably illustrates that there is still a large and vocal contingent who will slag off the team and the players they don't like at a moments notice, so as WATW said, enjoy the contentment while it lasts.

E

Edgmond Wolf

The state of this message board after the Rotherham and Northampton games probably illustrates that there is still a large and vocal contingent who will slag off the team and the players they don't like at a moments notice, so as WATW said, enjoy the contentment while it lasts.

This.....

Loads of Pant Wetters, :D

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely

Plus the constant pant wetting regarding signings.

D

Dewsburywolf

Took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard)

R

reanswolf

Do poeple think other clubs forums are any different though?

They are all a mixture of happyclappers and pant wetters.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being fair this board does not reflect the matchday crowd. There seems more patience around me with the current style. Maybe our recent failure to ever look safe(ish) in the Premiership with the high tempo, 2nd ball winning style has given us more appreciation that a controlled style may be better in the long run?

Meis_Corn

Reaction score
I still had some tool behind me shouting get rid every time we won possession in our half.

I think having possession in the right areas and creating chances is the key to keeping the majority of the Molineux faithful happy. In the Premier League, whenever we did have a spell of possession it was usually between the centre backs, Henry and occasionally the full backs in our own half. We hardly ever had sustained spells of possession in the opponents half throughout the whole time we were in the PL. Now I am not an older fan but I have been watching wolves for nearly 20 years and I have never seen us play like we are now, but it is not just me, my dad, my boss, both 50+ can't remember times when we have played such an attacking passing game. What I am saying is that the majority of the crowd has never seen Wolves playing effective possession football until now so how can we know that the Molineux masses have ever really been that impatient? Has our reputation been a victim of our style of football?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

reanswolf

I still had some tool behind me shouting get rid every time we won possession in our half.

I think having possession in the right areas and creating chances is the key to keeping the majority of the Molineux faithful happy. In the Premier League, whenever we did have a spell of possession it was usually between the centre backs, Henry and occasionally the full backs in our own half. We hardly ever had sustained spells of possession in the opponents half throughout the whole time we were in the PL. Now I am not an older fan but I have been watching wolves for nearly 20 years and I have never seen us play like we are now, but it is not just me, my dad, my boss, both 50+ can't remember times when we have played such an attacking passing game. What I am saying is that the majority of the crowd has never seen Wolves playing effective possession football until now so how can we know that the Molineux masses have ever really been that impatient? Has our reputation been a victim of our style of football?

Undoubtedly this is to some degree true. Mick MCarthy's brand of football fitted well with the existing mentality. All bustle.

Whilst we continued over many years without a controlling quality midfield, The Bennies were doing exactly what we are doing now. Emphasis on a quality central midfield. The engine room largely dictates how good your team is.

Long may this possession game continue! The education of fans is an ongoing process.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good post !

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I certainly hope so but we'll see a real test of how patient we are when the results aren't going so well. I hope the crowd doesn't start to turn and give it the whole "get it forward" crap again because we've moved on from that.

I do agree with NWW and It's Mixu Paatelainen though, I still think we've got some way to go before we see how patient we really are.

R

reanswolf

I read in E & S the "best fans in the world" booed their team at the end of full time and extra time, before winning the penalty shoot out v Oxford last night. I did'nt go to the Northampton game but i expect some Wolves fans booed at the end of our defeat to Northampton.

Its just the way some fans are at every club, expectation is the poison & that affects levels of patience.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
With Wolves hasn't it always been about the opposition and our own perceptions of how games should pan out, rather than actually viewing what's happening on the pitch right in front of them?

Cardiff were probably the best of the teams to drop down last year and they've spent decent money....so we respect them more.
We're coming up and are still testing ourselves, but the expectation is that we're the underdog so we're more patient ?
If Wolves had come down from the Prem and Cardiff had come up from Div1, would the patient support have been there on Saturday, even if we had still dominated possession at nearly 70%?
I doubt it very much, history says Wolves fans are not patient for long, whatever the circumstances.

I still remember Graham Taylor leaving after the team was booed off after what was perceived as a dreadful 0.0 home result against unfashionable Charlton ....who were just starting on that fabulous period under Alan Curbishley where they spent 10 years in the Prem. and he was probably the best performing manager in the country.
Because it was little Charlton, he got the sack. If it had been a hard fought draw against a big club like Newcastle, he might have saved his job and our history might have been different. Perceptions.
Wolves meanwhile messed about aimlessly under McGhee and Colin Lee for 6 years with Hayward turning his golden tit on and off without any real consistency or methodology or return on his investment, while Graham Taylor went to Watford and got them successive promotions to the Premier League within 2 seasons.
Graham Taylor's gloss has certainly been polished over the mists of time .I remember that Charlton game oh too well.What you didn't add is that after that game we were in 20th and they only had 10 men for a large part of the game.We were in a dreadful run and rut and who knows whether he would have reversed our fortunes.Decisions were made because the fans demonstrated after the game.Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I still believe that at the time his sacking was the correct one as I equally thought McGhee's appointment was a good one.As you say it is all about perceptions.

R

reanswolf

What you didn't add is that after that game we were in 20th and they only had 10 men for a large part of the game.We were in a dreadful run and rut and who knows whether he would have reversed our fortunes.Decisions were made because the fans demonstrated after the game.Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I still believe that at the time his sacking was the correct one as I equally thought McGhee's appointment was a good one.As you say it is all about perceptions.

Exactly. It shows that you have to look closely at historical arguments because it is easy to misrepresent the facts.

I did like Graham Taylor, but he had spent lots of money on injury prone players like Daley and Froggatt, and wanted to pay £1m for an overweight Paul Stewart. Yes fans were short on patience during that hateful era, and indeed GT was a very likeable bloke, but at that point he had got things badly wrong and it was the national press who were largely responsible for vilifying him with turnip images after his reign at English manager.

L

luckyjim

I read in E & S the "best fans in the world" booed their team at the end of full time and extra time, before winning the penalty shoot out v Oxford last night. I did'nt go to the Northampton game but i expect some Wolves fans booed at the end of our defeat to Northampton.

Its just the way some fans are at every club, expectation is the poison & that affects levels of patience.

I don't see why some of our fans see us as being uniquely impatient; every club has fans who are patient/impatient to a greater/lesser degree.

I would hate it if we were to attain the smugness of those stripy, Brummie halfwits.

E

Essex Wolf

Think for some it's an inbuilt reaction.

The team you support is just a goal down and the final whistle fast approaching. At that point watching lots of nice passing and keeping possession that isn't actually achieving much will start to frustrate some supporters and hence they want to see the ball further forward.

Resorting to the long ball might achieve bugger all but the impatient among the support will likely see it as a better way or getting something out of the game as opposed to building from the back?

M

Mr Wolf

Some fans around me seem to get nervous & don't have the confidence in the players that I seem to have when playing little triangles out from our own corner flag.

It's the ball into Sako, Edwards & La Parra that needs to be better & quicker at times allowing them to turn & do something with it. Dicko has had no service from what I've seen.

E

Essex Wolf

Some fans around me seem to get nervous & don't have the confidence in the players that I seem to have when playing little triangles out from our own corner flag.

It's the ball into Sako, Edwards & La Parra that needs to be better & quicker at times allowing them to turn & do something with it. Dicko has had no service from what I've seen.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there MW.

Playing those nice passing triangles are all well and good but if the final, or should I say decisive, pass is poor or too late then momentum could be lost.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
Think for some it's an inbuilt reaction.

The team you support is just a goal down and the final whistle fast approaching. At that point watching lots of nice passing and keeping possession that isn't actually achieving much will start to frustrate some supporters and hence they want to see the ball further forward.

Resorting to the long ball might achieve bugger all but the impatient among the support will likely see it as a better way or getting something out of the game as opposed to building from the back?

Yes EW I agree but prior to the KJ era around me (top middle of the Bull) people were having this reaction regularly when 1 nill up!
I mean we are winning, and trying to control the ball, they were whinging "Forward, GERIT FORWARD!"
we're winning FFS keep the ball & dont loose.

It was like unless we were blood & thunder for 90min's they werent happy. like they didnt understand football.

By being away to L1 for a year, where there generally was a bit more space for our back 4/ center mids to come out with the ball, i feel that the crowd could relax a bit and therefore get used to seeing it, rather than Pant wetting.
Granted the ball is moving about between our players quicker, than it has done before, but could that be due to the confidence of the players being helped by a calmer crowd??

Its amazing how your first touch can leave you when your nervous...

either that or the numpty's have just buggered off :embarassed:

E

Essex Wolf

Yes EW I agree but prior to the KJ era around me (top middle of the Bull) people were having this reaction regularly when 1 nill up!
I mean we are winning, and trying to control the ball, they were whinging "Forward, GERIT FORWARD!"
we're winning FFS keep the ball & dont loose.

It was like unless we were blood & thunder for 90min's they werent happy. like they didnt understand football.

By being away to L1 for a year, where there generally was a bit more space for our back 4/ center mids to come out with the ball, i feel that the crowd could relax a bit and therefore get used to seeing it, rather than Pant wetting.
Granted the ball is moving about between our players quicker, than it has done before, but could that be due to the confidence of the players being helped by a calmer crowd??

Me Babbies I came to the conclusion long ago that some people who attend a game ball watch and fail to understand or acknowledge what players without the ball often do. As such these people fail to appreciate other aspects of the game.

To me these people only seem to see getting the ball in the oppositions penalty area as all that matters. Unless the ball is constantly moving forward and quickly they aren't happy.

I can fully understand the need for urgency when you're chasing the game and time is running out but if you're winning then denying the opposition possession must surely go a long way to stopping them scoring. Some seem to miss this:confused:

I enjoy the football under KJ and long may it continue. And maybe in time those impatient may have a change of view?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are going to go wrong at some stage (it could happen on Saturday?) and I just pray the fans do not turn during the game. This is potentially the best squad of players we've had since the 70s imo and if/when we are losing at Molineux I hope fans will remember how great it was at the Soton 6-0 match. KJ will expect/deserves nothing less.

W

we8wba

Sometimes when passing doesn't quite come off we'll here it's lathergic, predictable, slow etc

We'll have good days we'll have bad days

Need keep faith over the season we'll have more good days than bad IMO

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the first time I've seen a Molineux crowd not turn on the team after a performance like this.
Either the kick and rush crowd have gone or they have develeped unknown patience.

Regardless why it happened the roar when that goal went in was as satisfying as any I've seen fr a long time.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps it has nothing to do with patience. Perhaps it has everything to do with watching a Wolves side actually playing some football consistently for the first time in a few years.

There have always been the 'clueless' at games, it doesn't make them any the less supporters.

I can remember listening to fans berating players when the team were in semi-final and finals of top competitions. I used to view it as 'match day entertainment' better than anything the current choreographers and attention seekers can come up with.

Just after the Hayward redevelopment there was one bloke who regularly ran up and down the steps from about half way up the North Bank waving arms and yelling 'instructions' to players:D Worth the entrance fee on a bad day.

D

Dewsburywolf

It would explain where the seven or eight thousand from the last two games of last season have disappeared to

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
http://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1456&start=200
Just found this on a Leeds Utd site (another teams fan perspective of us). They are losing their patience as we did:-
johhny757 wrote:
The Championship is a different kettle of fish to a lot of the European leagues as we all know.

Take Wolves as an example and there is a close similarity to what happened to them a few years ago when they got relegated from the Championship to League 1.

They bring in Solbakken. He spends about 7-8 million on youthful European unknown talent. Out of those 5-6 players, only Sako has really made the grade. In the meantime, they have a group of uninterested british players on huge wages warming the bench. (ringing any bells yet)

Solbakken attempts to play tippy tappy football and fails. Gets sacked. A muppet called Saunders comes in who coached a league 1 team the previous season and I think they got relegated. (surely now it's ringing some bells)

The whole thing goes tits up. Nobody has a clue what they are supposed to be doing. The players don't really give a monkeys still collecting their huge wages. (in fact some of them are still there now having never played a game and collecting 15k a week)

They got relegated. What happens.....bring in a wise head in Jackett. They get promoted at the first attempt and have won 3 out of the first 4 games in the Championship beating Cardiff and Fullham in the process because they are a well drilled team who keep it simple and they all know their jobs.

The above should be a sobering tale for a Leeds fan because unfortunately for us, we are making the same mistakes that Wolves did and if we don't arrest it ASAP, it will end up with the same consequences.

''Great post. The last 3 years at Wolves should make sobering reading to those who believe we are operating some sophisticated European management structure, years ahead of its time. What we are really seeing playing out here is an ego driven business man playing at being a football manager. He might get away with that in Italy with Cagliari and their 4000 fans but it won't work at Leeds United. I hope he comes to his senses before any lasting damage is done.''

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I don't believe the crowd are that averse to the change from as it was and will show tolerance if things aren't going wonderfully, continually. Even under the half-baked previous project they were very patient, understanding the necessity of the quantum leap we were attempting to take.

Now that we have honed the passing method adequately with appropriate change, the process of its continuation and development surely won't be lost on the same.........anything that changes that 'lumpy pumpy' nonsense backed by and based around a pathetic backs-to-the-wall effort based siege mentality, has to be appreciated even by the most clueless of fans!

Gerrin it forward for the sake of it has gone.....it's about doing it with style and quality. Like it, there is no option to lump it!

Undoubtedly this is to some degree true. Mick MCarthy's brand of football fitted well with the existing mentality. All bustle.

Whilst we continued over many years without a controlling quality midfield, The Bennies were doing exactly what we are doing now. Emphasis on a quality central midfield. The engine room largely dictates how good your team is.

Long may this possession game continue! The education of fans is an ongoing process.

Spot on.

When you have die-hard enthusiasts of the old ways and old guard like Sandwell Wolf switching 'sides' and singing a different tune, you have to believe that others are also equally willing to do the same.

Let the education continue!

E

Edgmond Wolf

We are going to go wrong at some stage (it could happen on Saturday?) and I just pray the fans do not turn during the game. This is potentially the best squad of players we've had since the 70s imo and if/when we are losing at Molineux I hope fans will remember how great it was at the Soton 6-0 match. KJ will expect/deserves nothing less.

Still one of my favourite matches as a supporter

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crowd aren't patient at all. Get nervous when opposition have the ball and are always groans when a lose ball happens

Back
Top Bottom