Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

A case for the defence...

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I don't really rate the majority of our current defensive line-up.

I doubt we will ever see it (Williamson fit and dropping our CB cloggers) unfortunately, but i'd like to see this defensive line-up at some point this season.
Not sure it will be any good or not, but i'd like to see it given a go.

Thoughts?

LB: Borthwick-Jackson
LCB: Williamson
RCB: Iorfa
RB: Silvio

Last edited:
M

Mr Wolf

I wouldn't be against any changes as I think the defence is terrible. They need so much covering & backing up it affects the whole of the team & shape. I don't trust any of them & the sooner Williamson is back the better.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not as convinced as I once was about Ikeme either. Seems to have turned into billy big *******s this season with his turning of attackers and ill-advised ****ing about and subsequently giving away of a corner.

Command of box and claiming of crosses has thus far been questionable too.

Still if anyone can spot a keepers deficiencies, it would be Zenga.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against any changes as I think the defence is terrible. They need so much covering & backing up it affects the whole of the team & shape. I don't trust any of them & the sooner Williamson is back the better.

I can't understand why Batth hasnt been replaced, both he and Stearman are complete liabilities. Batth was totally out of position for their last 3 goals on Tuesday. I also agree with the question marks about Ikeme

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think Williamson will either never play for us again, or surprise everyone and just suddenly come out of nowhere to be fit again! My money's on the former unfortunately.

If he doesn't play, Hause could slot in there at LCB. Some would say that leaves us far too inexperienced at the back but I'd argue that if mistakes are going to be made anyway, then it doesn't really matter the age of those who make them! Silvio would add a lot of nous and experience anyway.

Doherty is an obvious omission, but one I agree with. He is a good, solid pro who has proven that he can be very effective in either fullback position, left-back in particular. But I don't think he will get any better than he is now. CBJ and Silvio certainly have a better pedigree and Doherty is a great squad player to have, even if we went up a division.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silvio and CBJ surely have to play if fit. We are a bit stuffed at CB at the moment, Williamson would obviously improve that situation but as the OP says, god knows if he will ever fully recover.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't understand why Batth hasnt been replaced, both he and Stearman are complete liabilities. Batth was totally out of position for their last 3 goals on Tuesday. I also agree with the question marks about Ikeme
Danny is a club and fans favourite, unfortunately. Stearman the same in many respects. Think Danny needs a change of club. Hopefull they will be replaced sooner than later, but by who I don't know.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danny is a club and fans favourite, unfortunately. Stearman the same in many respects. Think Danny needs a change of club. Hopefull they will be replaced sooner than later, but by who I don't know.

Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Stearman for the duration. The new Edwards. It didn't take Fulham long to work out he was guff. Who is going to want him if he wasn't good enough for their truly shocking defence last year and returned to us, without refund, shortly afterwards??

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stearman and Batth for me will be fine when the midfield and full backs both settle down and know their positions.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When there's zero protection because your holding player has been pushed forward and prince is left wing I'm not surprised we got ripped to shreads.

Defences should be well drilled, and consistent.

We can't sign anyone else so we have who we have. Let's pick 4, whoever they may be, and stick with them. You can't change two out of four all the time, and the midfield shield and hope to get away with it. No one else does it

D

Deleted member 3604

Regardless of the midfield (or whatever else) if four defenders can't cope with two or three players running at (one of them being Adam Hammil) and through them (or defend crosses) it's a fair summation to think the defence isn't very good. We have played Barnsley and Burton at home, have used all the players and have been done like kippers. Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's the new signings fault.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When there's zero protection because your holding player has been pushed forward and prince is left wing I'm not surprised we got ripped to shreads.

We can't sign anyone else so we have who we have. Let's pick 4, whoever they may be, and stick with them. You can't change two out of four all the time, and the midfield shield and hope to get away with it. No one else does it

Tbf, there was zero protection with Price in front. He moved him out of there because he couldn't stop Barnsley playing through us like a good holding player in this 433 formation should.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I thought Borthwick-Jackson could play at Centre Back? At least that what was said in the press when we signed him. Surely he might be worth giving a go if the current shambles continues.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of the midfield (or whatever else) if four defenders can't cope with two or three players running at (one of them being Adam Hammil) and through them (or defend crosses) it's a fair summation to think the defence isn't very good. We have played Barnsley and Burton at home, have used all the players and have been done like kippers. Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's the new signings fault.
Couldn't have put it better myself

D

Deleted member 3604

Tbf, there was zero protection with Price in front. He moved him out of there because he couldn't stop Barnsley playing through us like a good holding player in this 433 formation should.

Although we conceded four goals when Price went off. You can't have your midfielders lining up on the eighteen yard line and that is where they did us. They pulled our defence out of position and turned us easily. As a last line of defence it was like a chocolate fireguard.

M

Mr Wolf

Agreed it's what I said at the beginning, the whole team & shape is set up because our defenders can't step up themselves & take command of a situation. I'd hate to see them in a 5 a side game when you stick with a man & follow him. If you can't trust your centre halfs to out mark/defend/tackle an opponent without having 3 players cover them then **** them off for better ones.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed it's what I said at the beginning, the whole team & shape is set up because our defenders can't step up themselves & take command of a situation. I'd hate to see them in a 5 a side game when you stick with a man & follow him. If you can't trust your centre halfs to out mark/defend/tackle an opponent without having 3 players cover them then **** them off for better ones.

This is why I was distraught when we decided to bring Dicky Stears back o_O

B

Benson

The defence start with the 3 strikers and the attacks start from the 4 defenders.. too many are too focused on names. Its the system and how we play as a team that matters. 11 players defend, 11 players attack.

ok, You can say 4 defender should handle 2-3 attackers, but over 90 minutes no 4-man defence in the world can handle 2-3 attackers without a couple of goal scoring opportunities if they are involved a lot. The key is to play in a way so that 2-3 attackers get as less good passes as possible to work with. 2-3 vs 4.. odds to create something for the 2-3? Maybe 1 out of 4.. Give them 20 passes and they will get 5 scoring opportunities.. Give them 5 passes and they will create 1. Thats the key - midfielders and strikers must defend and stop the attacks in time.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree entirely we need to pick our best 4 and stay with them and IMO that means Danny and Stears in the centre of defence.

O

OldWolvesfart

I thought Borthwick-Jackson could play at Centre Back? At least that what was said in the press when we signed him. Surely he might be worth giving a go if the current shambles continues.
Thats right he can play left footed centre back so why not.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands Baath and Stearman are our best two fit centre halves. I think Stearman is an improvement on Hause, but in a season, who knows. That said I would rather we had better options than both of them to be honest. Williamson is a better centre half when fit. Swiss has played there. CBJ has been suggested.imo he looks too lightweight, and will be of more benefit as a fullback. I would not be adverse to the centre half positions being upgraded, as I think it would enable the midfield to play more on the front foot.

S

ShropshireLad

There was me thinking the defence looked a lot better on Saturday: Doherty, Stears, Batth, CBJ.
Is there a big problem with that line-up given the reinforcements which would bolster it?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CBJ can play CB but I think he's comfortably our best LB both on reputation and performance so far

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them - defenders at the club - are actually good enough and it's the pretence that they are
and will come good at some time in the future that is at the heart of the present recurrent failures at Molineux. Be firm and burn it with fire; the entire back five have to be replaced with better.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them - defenders at the club - are actually good enough and it's the pretence that they are
and will come good at some time in the future that is at the heart of the present recurrent failures at Molineux. Be firm and burn it with fire; the entire back five have to be replaced with better.

Look my friend let us assume you are right [I don't think you are] and that none of our defenders "are actually good enough" how does that help us pick the team against Newcastle??
I'm afraid it takes us back to picking the best defenders we have at the moment!

S

ShropshireLad

Look my friend let us assume you are right [I don't think you are] and that none of our defenders "are actually good enough" how does that help us pick the team against Newcastle??
I'm afraid it takes us back to picking the best defenders we have at the moment!
Yeah. What nonsense that they're not good enough for the Chumpionship. o_O They're not good enough to play in the Champions League and that's a fact which requires no justification but several of them would be good enough squad players for the Prem with a bit of improvement. Some are young enough to cope with that.

D

Deleted member 3518

We're doomed I tell you, doomed!!

S

ShropshireLad

We're doomed I tell you, doomed!!
Mmmm. We were doomed before the season started but this one will provide a roller-coaster ride. There'll be so many highs and so many lows and we'll probably end up back where we started.

D

Deleted member 3518

Yeah. What nonsense that they're not good enough for the Chumpionship. o_O They're not good enough to play in the Champions League and that's a fact which requires no justification but several of them would be good enough squad players for the Prem with a bit of improvement. Some are young enough to cope with that.

Start of the window we were all worried that we'd lose 2 of these useless England under 21 players to the Premiership, now they're ****:confused:

Sutton

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I don't really rate the majority of our current defensive line-up.

I doubt we will ever see it (Williamson fit and dropping our CB cloggers) unfortunately, but i'd like to see this defensive line-up at some point this season.
Not sure it will be any good or not, but i'd like to see it given a go.

Thoughts?

Agreed as well. In the (long) time before Williamson is fit I would play Batth. I am also still not convinced who is the best CB out of Hause and Iorfa but I would be happy with either.

In reality, I expect WZ will go with Batth/Stears partnership unless we keep getting tonked....having two FBs who can play out in CBJ and Silvio though would help them out.

Back
Top Bottom