Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

7 goals

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Biggest win I can remember in my time is 6-0, I think v Gillingham. Would have been early 2000’s
I remember that game. It was 5-0 at half time and I think we scored the sixth just after half time, then we just took our foot off the gas. We could feasibly have got double figures that day if we'd have been more ruthless... Sounds odd, but I was a bit gutted, because it's not that often you get the chance to hand out a thrashing on that scale.

St.Simon.

Reaction score
I saw the game in 1955 v Man City, when we won 7-2. Roy Swinbourne ( i.m.o. our best ever Centre Forward) got 4, with Johnny Hancocks getting a couple. A few days later the lads beat Cardiff 9-1 - didn't see it - but Swinbourne got another 3, and Hancocks also got a hat-trick. A week later Swinbourne got yet another hat-trick.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that game. It was 5-0 at half time and I think we scored the sixth just after half time, then we just took our foot off the gas. We could feasibly have got double figures that day if we'd have been more ruthless... Sounds odd, but I was a bit gutted, because it's not that often you get the chance to hand out a thrashing on that scale.

The only game I can compare that first half to in terms of how well we played is Forest at the start of 2008/09.

Similarly, we scored early in the second and then relaxed.

St.Simon.

Reaction score
Was that the game when Proudfoot led the line?

R

reanswolf

Think it was 6-1, might be wrong. But yes, was actually gutted we didn't take it on and score more.
Greedy or what? But was because I had never seen more than 6.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
No, it was the season after, when we got promoted. In the choke season we beat Gillingham 2-0 at Molineux in early March and that was the beginning of the end
Fair enough .We were in a bar in Lanzarote watching the scores come through on SSN

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it was 6-1, might be wrong. But yes, was actually gutted we didn't take it on and score more.
Greedy or what? But was because I had never seen more than 6.
Final score was 6-0 not 6-1. We were 5-0 up at half time. It was the day of the huge anti-Iraq War demonstration in London, don't know why I remember that, but I do.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When talking about goals scored, you aren't allowed to use 7 without writing (Seven) after it. Football law you know.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never seen a 10 in a professional game anywhere, but they do occasionally occur. Fulham beat Ipswich 10-1 on Boxing Day 1963, and back in 1959 Spurs beat Everton by the amazing score of 10-4, both games in the top division. As far as I know Wolves have scored 10 in a league game, it was against Leicester in a top division game just before WW2 which we won 10-1. We have also conceded, against the team, now defunct, which was the predecessor of Man Utd, called Newton Heath, 1-10, back at the end of the 19th century

Very big scores occur in Cup games though. The last time we won it, 1960, Spurs beat Crewe 13-2 in a replay at WHL. They were 10-1 up at HT

Last edited:

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume that is so people don't think that it's a typo for 1.

Yep, especially in some fonts used in old newspapers they are very similar looking and why would anyone assume it was 7 and not 1 given the likelihood of both!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When talking about goals scored, you aren't allowed to use 7 without writing (Seven) after it. Football law you know.

Exactly. Though for this season, you have to do it for Sheff Utd in the unlikely event of them scoring any goal at all. e.g. Sheff Utd 1 (one) Man City 5

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stingray II

Reaction score
Me too. The chelsea fans were having a laugh as the goals went in. The chanting was very funny
I was there as a teenager. Middle-lower third of North Bank. Brilliant high. That same night I was just buzzing from this game but was going on a double-date. and my girlfriend hated football so banned talk about it. But her best mate's new boyfriend turned up wearing a Wolves scarf* and had been at the game - so the two of us got on great, partied all night, as the girls looked on in boredom. The pub was called the Cotswolds. I wasn't old enough to drink legally, but no IDs then. Odd that I remember so much from that day. Mike Bailey scored a goal and immediately gave a V sign to the North Bank,. A small minority had been loudly giving him **** over some recent poor performances. Undeserved criticism of him, but I think many of those fans, or their ghosts, live today on the match-day-thread. My girlfriend drank lager-and-blackcurrant, and a gentleman never tells.

* I don't recall us wearing Wolves shirts back then; just scarfs - which were easy to quickly hide in your trousers at away games.. What year fans start wearing shirts?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there as a teenager. Middle-lower third of North Bank. Brilliant high. That same night I was just buzzing from this game but was going on a double-date. and my girlfriend hated football so banned talk about it. But her best mate's new boyfriend turned up wearing a Wolves scarf* and had been at the game - so the two of us got on great, partied all night, as the girls looked on in boredom. The pub was called the Cotswolds. I wasn't old enough to drink legally, but no IDs then. Odd that I remember so much from that day. Mike Bailey scored a goal and immediately gave a V sign to the North Bank,. A small minority had been loudly giving him **** over some recent poor performances. Undeserved criticism of him, but I think many of those fans, or their ghosts, live today on the match-day-thread. My girlfriend drank lager-and-blackcurrant, and a gentleman never tells.

* I don't recall us wearing Wolves shirts back then; just scarfs - which were easy to quickly hide in your trousers at away games.. What year fans start wearing shirts?
what great recollections. there was no shirt culture as you say. i still have my scarves (one round my wrist of course). my girlfriend drank pernod and black which is a recipe for disaster and fun in equal measure

Back
Top Bottom