Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

50 Points Next Season

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over the last ten Premier League seasons fifty points would have seen us finish:
8th - 3 times
10th - 4 times
11th - 3 times
That would seem to be a realistic and achievable points target in our first year back. Would the club consider this to be sufficient progress and a good platform for the future or would we all be slightly disappointed?

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over the last ten Premier League seasons fifty points would have seen us finish:
8th - 3 times
10th - 4 times
11th - 3 times
That would seem to be a realistic and achievable points target in our first year back. Would the club consider this to be sufficient progress and a good platform for the future or would we all be slightly disappointed?

This season it would have us finish 8th which just shows how poor half the premier league is in, personally I’d be disappointed with anything below 7th with the state the league is in

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it before on here that we could lose all games to the top 6 sides and just one win against the other 13 gives us 39 pts = survival. Between 7th/8th and survival is around about 10/12 pts or 3 or 4 more wins. I'm not trying to be arrogant (when has a Wolves fan ever had the opportunity to be arrogant?!) but with this team under Nuno I just can't see us finishing below 10th and more likely to be around 7th/8th.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the expectation levels are massive and i think we might do OK but it depends on new signings. the sunderland game showed we dont have much more than 12-13 proper first team players right now. for me 50 points would be epic. 40 would do

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 points (or 17th) is good enough for me this season. Any more is a bonus

All of this plus 1 caveat....not having to resort to hoof ball to do it, not that I think that would ever cross Nuno’s mind.

Yes I assume we’ll do better than that, but would more than happily settle for outplaying and beating all but the best at home.
That’s enough for safety, and plenty enough of a minimum target for first season.

Difference being between the Mick premier league seasons, is at least we’ll get to see some football along the way.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like me to be confident, but I can't see us struggling to reach fifty points

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be delighted with 50 points. Think it's realistic AND achievable. Any more would be fantastic, but a little less would not be the end of the world.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This time next year I would be happy with mid table. With a year in the PL behind him, Nuno could be better placed to make changes in the squad for the 19/20 season which is when Wolves will most likely start to reach for the top positions with an eye for Europe.

D

Deleted member 3545

lets not get ahead of ourselves gotta learn to walk before you can run, or could end up with egg on your face. i'll be happy with 17th or above

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridiculous.

You’re going to be disappointed then I would suggest.

Burnley got 7th place with 14 wins if we can’t match that then yeah I’d say our players under performed especially if we sign players like Silva & Patricio that we are being linked with

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems almost crazy to suggest a promoted side could break the top 10 first season back. I don't think we have the squad depth right now so we need the best part of ten quality signings. But if Burnley can finish in the top 7 or 8 then I don't see any reason why we can't with the right recruitment.

I still can't believe I am saying this, when we have been brought up for years on a "survival is all that matters" mentality.

SellyWolf

Reaction score
Burnley got 7th place with 14 wins if we can’t match that then yeah I’d say our players under performed especially if we sign players like Silva & Patricio that we are being linked with

The key difference being that Burnley have established themselves and have a core group of players and a system that they have crafted over a few years in the premiership.

By that logic we should have finished higher than where we did in the Zenga/Lambert season because we had players like Costa, Cavaleiro.

We’ll have to wait and see in May next year. However I can reasonably safely assure you that you’ll be a little diaappointed and I’ll be delighted. 15th or higher is an achievement.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key difference being that Burnley have established themselves and have a core group of players and a system that they have crafted over a few years in the premiership.

By that logic we should have finished higher than where we did in the Zenga/Lambert season because we had players like Costa, Cavaleiro.

We’ll have to wait and see in May next year. However I can reasonably safely assure you that you’ll be a little diaappointed and I’ll be delighted. 15th or higher is an achievement.

So with that Logic West Brom & Stoke should have been top half, Nuno has assembled and drilled a squad over a year to his tactics regardless of us being in the championship and will add players who improve our starting 11 over the summer who fit his tactics. Even Afobe thinks the current squad could have got around 10th so why is it unrealistic to think with some big signings we can’t be the “best of the rest” next season

SellyWolf

Reaction score
So with that Logic West Brom & Stoke should have been top half, Nuno has assembled and drilled a squad over a year to his tactics regardless of us being in the championship and will add players who improve our starting 11 over the summer who fit his tactics. Even Afobe thinks the current squad could have got around 10th so why is it unrealistic to think with some big signings we can’t be the “best of the rest” next season

Well if Afobe says so then it must be true.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. 12th would be a great achievement, 10th superb, 7th outstanding but hugely unlikely.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed with anything below 7th? Holy crap. I understand why Nuno is scared of expectations. If we finish 12th-15th in our first season back, I would be very content and definitely happy. Thrilled if we get 9th-11th.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm excited for Silva too if it happens, but let's not pretend he's a sure thing. The guy struggled mightily this season.

M

MattyWWFC

Think we just need to stay grounded at the moment. Dream by all means but saying top 8 easy is a bit far. The Prem could be different next season, it’s never been like this before.
Set expectations low, then you’ll be even more pleased if we surpass them.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Not that I think we’ll take 0 points from the Top 6, but if that happened, we’d need to average virtually 2 points per game from the other fixtures to get 50 points.

I’d be absolutely thrilled if we got anywhere near 50 in our first season back.

S

Seker aga

Not going to lie with the signing i think we will make and how the club is going would be disapointed with relegation battle BUT am expecting around 14th my self and would be mighty pleased with that

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems almost crazy to suggest a promoted side could break the top 10 first season back. I don't think we have the squad depth right now so we need the best part of ten quality signings. But if Burnley can finish in the top 7 or 8 then I don't see any reason why we can't with the right recruitment.

I still can't believe I am saying this, when we have been brought up for years on a "survival is all that matters" mentality.
Ten ! Seriously ? You having a Giraffe ?(

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm thinking, regardless of summer signings, Wolves will be challenging at the top next season. Think back to last summer and the short period Nuno had to bang a bunch of strangers into shape. They then beat the favourites first game. He will be well focused from the off and he will make sure the players are as well.

D

Deleted member 3751

I think 17th would represent a poor season personally, and think we'll probably end up around 8th-12th. Can't get my head around this "17th will do for me" attitude, we're aiming much higher and 50 points is a good target, just miss out and we'll be mid table

cowshed

Reaction score
I can remember a few years back when Sam Allyerdyce was promoted and they asked him if he would be happy to finish 17th and he said "No I will be looking to finish about 10th" I am sure this is the attitude we should take.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League might be **** at the moment, but it's still light years ahead of the Championship, teams are better defensively and a lot more clinical in comparison, whilst I don't think we will be in trouble of relegation I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves and Nuno has even mentioned managing the expectations recently.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
We only managed 99 points this season .. a bit disappointed.

Want at least 100 next Season!!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
reading this thread makes me wonder how long it will be before the lads are being booed off again. the teams 10-20 may not be amazing but they are at least as good as villa, fulham, cardiff. all of whom beat us this season. we need to get a grip, this isnt going to be easy

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember a few years back when Sam Allyerdyce was promoted and they asked him if he would be happy to finish 17th and he said "No I will be looking to finish about 10th" I am sure this is the attitude we should take.

Admirable from big Sam but id like my manager to be thinking "No, we are aiming to win it" .

S

ShropshireLad

Nuno has quite rightly been playing down all the hype and high expectations. However, I don't expect us to be relegated. ;)

Back
Top Bottom