Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

48 years ago today...

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... for those with long memories (and bald/ fat/ divorced/ retired -- circle those which apply):

WOLVES 7 (SEVEN) ALBION 0

Wharton 3, Hinton 2, Stobart 2

Att: 22,618 (!!!)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 goals from wingers

That team (Cullis's "babbies") scored goals for fun that season. As well as the 7-0 demolition of Albion, there was: 8-1 v Citeh, 7-2 v Burnley, 4-0 v Bolton, 4-2 v Blackburn, 5-0 away at Fulham, 4-1 away at W. Ham, 4-0 away at Orient, 4-3 away at Blues, and did the double over Villa (aggregate 5-1). Plus some memorable defeats: 4-5 away to Arsenal. The two wingers, Alan Hinton and Terry Wharton were on fire: they could cross, and boy could they shoot. Many of their goals were from 20 yards out, and generally hit like rockets. :D

Footnote: the Albion goalie that day was Tony Millington. He had already faced Wolves in the reserve team, and let 8 in on that occasion, making a total of 15 goals scored by Wolves against him in one season. That must be a record.

blaenboy

Reaction score
Lovely memories. I was at the 8-1 win over Man City-what a day! I think I remember rightly that Trautman was in goals for them, or am I dreaming? Terry Wharton scored that day, too I recall.I idolised the wingers of the day-Wharton, Hinton, Crowe, and then Wagstaffe, but we were blessed with some great inside forwards too: Peter Broadbent (for me the most complete footballer I saw at Molineux) and , a little later,Peter Knowles. Chris Crowe went to Bristol City I think-and we got Dick Le Flem. Not a good trade.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
That team (Cullis's "babbies") scored goals for fun that season. As well as the 7-0 demolition of Albion, there was: 8-1 v Citeh, 7-2 v Burnley, 4-0 v Bolton, 4-2 v Blackburn, 5-0 away at Fulham, 4-1 away at W. Ham, 4-0 away at Orient, 4-3 away at Blues, and did the double over Villa (aggregate 5-1). Plus some memorable defeats: 4-5 away to Arsenal. The two wingers, Alan Hinton and Terry Wharton were on fire: they could cross, and boy could they shoot. Many of their goals were from 20 yards out, and generally hit like rockets. :D

Footnote: the Albion goalie that day was Tony Millington. He had already faced Wolves in the reserve team, and let 8 in on that occasion, making a total of 15 goals scored by Wolves against him in one season. That must be a record.
In 1966 Cardiff had a young goalie called Lynn Davies.We played the two games very close to each and and won 7-1 and 3-0.A couple of weeks later he played for Wales U-23's against England at Molineux and lost 8-0.I bet he was sick of the mere mention of Wolverhampton-18 goals in 3 games.He played 5 back to back games in all and let in 24 goals.:eek:

F

FLEET WOLF

Lovely memories. I was at the 8-1 win over Man City-what a day! I think I remember rightly that Trautman was in goals for them, or am I dreaming? Terry Wharton scored that day, too I recall.I idolised the wingers of the day-Wharton, Hinton, Crowe, and then Wagstaffe, but we were blessed with some great inside forwards too: Peter Broadbent (for me the most complete footballer I saw at Molineux) and , a little later,Peter Knowles. Chris Crowe went to Bristol City I think-and we got Dick Le Flem. Not a good trade.

I remember Wharton from around that time and a bit later. Wagstaffe generally became the favoured and better winger and the crowd used to get on Wharton's back a bit-he was eventually sold to Bolton for a fair bit. Hinton was also the subject of the boo boys and went on to Forest/Derby and England (although I think he had played for England with Wolves as well).

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember Wharton from around that time and a bit later. Wagstaffe generally became the favoured and better winger and the crowd used to get on Wharton's back a bit-he was eventually sold to Bolton for a fair bit. Hinton was also the subject of the boo boys and went on to Forest/Derby and England (although I think he had played for England with Wolves as well).
Up until recently Piggy Wharton could be seen driving his taxi around town.I understand he had some personal problems ,but it is good to see him still going strong.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
some1 where i used to work, an old timer, told me that we were once beating W*A 7-0 and the game got called off due to snow and we were forced to replay - in the replay we won 7-0!! Is this the same game?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
some1 where i used to work, an old timer, told me that we were once beating W*A 7-0 and the game got called off due to snow and we were forced to replay - in the replay we won 7-0!! Is this the same game?

The old timer's memory is faulty. The original home game v Albion that season was at Christmas, the day the 'big freeze' started. The first half ended with Wolves 2-0 up, and then it started snowing bucketloads and the ref abandoned the game. Cue sighs of relief from the Albion fans-- premature, as it proved, because when the game was replayed, on March 16 1963, Wolves again led 2-0 at HT. This time it didn't snow and Wolves put 5 more in the back of Albion's net in the second half. Trust me, I was at both games.

F

Famous Grouch

I was there, but what was the team? It's so long ago. Was it Finlayson or Davies in goal? Showell and Harris, Woodfield and Flowers, Kighton, Hinton, Wharton, Farmer, Crowe or Murray, Stobbart or did Knowles play? Brains gone.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chris Crowe went to Bristol City I think-and we got Dick Le Flem. Not a good trade.

But that wasn't the swap that occurred. We let Alan Hinton go to Forest and got Dick ('Flip') Le Flem from them in return. What caused that was a game in Jan 64 when Hinton was booed off the pitch by Wolves fans at Molineux after we lost 3-2 to Forest, having been 2-0 up at HT. I don't think Hinton ever played for Wolves again. Le Flem had several good games against us, notably a cup tie a year before that Forest won 4-3 at the City Ground, when Le Flem scored a couple.

But it was a ridiculous pair of transfers. Hinton went on to get a Championship medal at Derby, while Le Flem played a dozen games for Wolves and disappeared without trace -- useless.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there, but what was the team? It's so long ago. Was it Finlayson or Davies in goal? Showell and Harris, Woodfield and Flowers, Kighton, Hinton, Wharton, Farmer, Crowe or Murray, Stobbart or did Knowles play? Brains gone.

Don't have the record books to hand, but my guess is:

Fred Davies
George Showell
Gerry Harris

Ken Knighton (?)
Dave Woodfield
Ron Flowers

Terry Wharton
Peter Broadbent
Ted Farmer
Barry Stobart
Alan Hinton

F

FLEET WOLF

Too early for Knowles and my guess is Davies in goal.

F

FLEET WOLF

But that wasn't the swap that occurred. We let Alan Hinton go to Forest and got Dick ('Flip') Le Flem from them in return. What caused that was a game in Jan 64 when Hinton was booed off the pitch by Wolves fans at Molineux after we lost 3-2 to Forest, having been 2-0 up at HT. I don't think Hinton ever played for Wolves again. Le Flem had several good games against us, notably a cup tie a year before that Forest won 4-3 at the City Ground, when Le Flem scored a couple.

But it was a ridiculous pair of transfers. Hinton went on to get a Championship medal at Derby, while Le Flem played a dozen games for Wolves and disappeared without trace -- useless.

I am pretty sure I was at that game. Le Flem did indeed turn out to be pretty awful-think he originated from the Channel Islands and it is perhaps a pity he didn't stay there!

B

Bertiewolf

Don't have the record books to hand, but my guess is:

Fred Davies
George Showell
Gerry Harris

Ken Knighton (?)
Dave Woodfield
Ron Flowers

Terry Wharton
Peter Broadbent
Ted Farmer
Barry Stobart
Alan Hinton

Davies Showell Thomson Kirkham Woodfield Flowers Wharton Crowe Stobart Broadbent Hinton

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terry Wharton was a really good winger as well as the legendary Waggy- I loved the time a couple of seasons later when we played both of them as out and out wingers - firstly around 1965/6 with Hughie McIlmoyle as CF [an underated buy from Carlisle from memory] then with Dougan alongside little Ernie Hunt. What a great attacking team they were to watch.

Waggy was the more skillfull winger but Terry Wharton had a much better shot and scored many goals for us. Great days.

Back
Top Bottom