Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

40 years ago

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember the Ibrox disaster like it was Yesterday.Everyone remembers Hillsborough and Heysel but the Ibrox disaster was equally awful when 66 fans lost their lives,which in this case was not as a result of rioting or fans arriving late.RIP to all concerned.
Follow Follow.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember it as well. I was 16 at the time. Wasn't it the result of fans leaving 'early'?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember it as well. I was 16 at the time. Wasn't it the result of fans leaving 'early'?
Celtic scored in the 89th minute and a lot of fans chose to leave.Colin Stein subsequenyly equalised.There was some conjecture that fans on the notorious Stairwell 13 turned back when Stein equalised,but the investigation showed that all of the fans were going in the same direction.The fact that the deceased were piled 6 ft high when they died doesn't bear thinking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I don't remember it at the time but it was the example that was always held up as what could go wrong at football matches when I was growing up.

Sadly they never took heed of this and it took the tragedies of the 80s to get something done. For anyone watching football on those decades it's certainly a case of "but for the grace of God".

Poignant day for all football supporters.

Hail, hail

London Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ibrox Park, Glasgow - Two minutes before the end of the game thousands of fans, as is usual, were already leaving by a main stairway. Many of them heard cheers as the home team scored the equalising goal and tried to get back up the stairs to see what was happening. They met those still trying to leave the ground. In the crush 66 people were killed and more than 140 were injured.
Green = Crowds leaving early . Red = Crowds trying to get back up the stairs

14Disaster-4.jpg

13Disaster-3.jpg

God Bless all of those who died and suffered

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Looked like the tribute was well observed by all concerned. Good to see.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Ibrox Park, Glasgow - Two minutes before the end of the game thousands of fans, as is usual, were already leaving by a main stairway. Many of them heard cheers as the home team scored the equalising goal and tried to get back up the stairs to see what was happening. They met those still trying to leave the ground. In the crush 66 people were killed and more than 140 were injured.
Green = Crowds leaving early . Red = Crowds trying to get back up the stairs

14Disaster-4.jpg

13Disaster-3.jpg

God Bless all of those who died and suffered
Although that was the theory at the time,the Inquest proved it was not the case.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although that was the theory at the time,the Inquest proved it was not the case.

That's right. I think the inquest found that someone going DOWN the stairs fell and that caused a domino effect of others falling on top.

Remember it well -- was working in the M East at the time and heard a report of it on the Saturday afternoon sports programme on the BBC World Service.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
My friend was involved, she was coming down the stairs (far right as you look at them), she was just over half way down when they scored, said everyone sort of stopped and looked back, and then everyone just started falling forward, she was injured(broken bones) but nothing serious, she was 24 at the time and says even now 40 years later she can still see it everytime she closes her eyes.

T

Timbli

Historian on Football Focus said it occurred when a small boy fell off the shoulders of his father and caused the domino effect

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Whatever actually happened it was a terrible disaster in Glasgow.

I often wonder how there was not a serious crowd disaster at the old Molineux.

Both the famous Leeds and Liverpool home games in the 70s have been often mentioned on Molineux Mix concerning the crowd scenes. The sight of a swaying, jam packed South Bank holding over 30,000 was a picture to behold. Not particularly a pleasant one to be trapped in, unless you liked the thrill of it.

But, one thing I have rarely seen mentioned is about crowd congestion in certain parts of the old Molineux. I can remember a big crush at the bottom right hand side of the old North Bank at full time. Most big home matches saw a mad scramble at the exit, and it was often a personal fight to keep yourself from being crushed. It was a tight, awkward corner to get out of, which probably made it such a bottle neck.

Back
Top Bottom