Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

3-4-3 next season?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how many Prem sides play this system? Will we keep it as Plan A and will we have a Plan B?

D

Deleted member 4124

We’ll see. I can’t see Nuno abandoning a system that works. I think Chelsea and West Ham played it last year.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Could be dependent on the outcome of our recruitment this summer. If we get several World class players that are difficult to drop, there maybe a few changes in formation against different teams we play. All very up in the air at the moment.

D

Deleted member 3751

I think it'll stay 3-4-3 and variations of it. It's more flexible than most formations and Nuno will sign players to fit it so it'll be Plan A, Plan A(2) and Plan A(3). As for other teams, it seems to be coming into fashion to play three at the back but imagine more often than not teams will play a back four - unless they match us up

W

we8wba

We’ll see. I can’t see Nuno abandoning a system that works. I think Chelsea and West Ham played it last year.

True albeit it worked in the championship will it work in premier league?

Personally yes to begin, the concern comes when teams after a year find way nulify your tactics or star man then the real challenge comes.

Personally I think the 532/352 will one day become Nuno downfall as he does seem quite stubborn in his tactics (can’t blame him at present nor do think that day above is anywhere close or near)

Me Babbies

Reaction score
Nuno has said repeatedly
“We play our way and don’t change for no one”
Expect the same system & to target players who fit the system rather than find a system that suits players we can get

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Chelsea, Spurs, City, West Ham, Arsenal, Watford, loads of teams played some version of the formation at some point last season. It's the trendy option at the moment after Conte introduced it and Chelsea won the league.

K

Kiddywolves

3-4-3 as we did last year or 3-5-2 especially against the bigger sides. Still play with Wing backs but pack midfield with 1 being a holding player. Still have the 2 up top to play on the counter

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea, Spurs, City, West Ham, Arsenal, Watford, loads of teams played some version of the formation at some point last season. It's the trendy option at the moment after Conte introduced it and Chelsea won the league.

It's popular with the best teams, then! All the more reason to continue with it, but we do need variations.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The formations are largely irrelevant it's the role of the specific players with and without the ball that impacts the teams effectiveness.

When you have better players that will take the ball despite being under pressure and can read the game well, the nominal formation that's put on the match day programme and newspaper reports really isn't the be all and end all and provokes far more debate than is really necessary

LG Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The formations are largely irrelevant it's the role of the specific players with and without the ball that impacts the teams effectiveness.

When you have better players that will take the ball despite being under pressure and can read the game well, the nominal formation that's put on the match day programme and newspaper reports really isn't the be all and end all and provokes far more debate than is really necessary

Nonsense. Tactics are vital.

By your reckoning a side could play 2-3-5 and it wouldn’t matter as long as the players were quality.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes..... but need better players

One of the biggest risks with the system is potential gap between wingbacks and left or right-sided centre-halves

If Douglas has gone wandering, then not sure Boly would look so masterful with Hazard running at him

As for the other side.... Bennett did well and is mobile, I like him..., but Batth or Miranda? Eek!

And then there’s Coady. I love the lad, don’t get me wrong.... but I’m not sure he was tested much there last season.

It’s all very interesting. For how impressive Nuno was last season, I can’t help feeling we were fairly inflexible. We hit a system and a group of players that clicked. It was about minimum disruption to that which saw us romp to the title.

Not just stiffer opposition but we might have different luck next season..... Fascinating.

Also being interesting to see how our fans will respond if there was a big wobble before it clicked.

Last edited:

StraightToPopworld

Reaction score
Think 3-4-3 will be Plan A but i'm sure he'll spend pre-season getting a Plan B sorted (which we didn't seem to have last season).

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

By your reckoning a side could play 2-3-5 and it wouldn’t matter as long as the players were quality.

I think he's not talking about tactics but just formations.

A formation is just the canvas and the role and responsibilities of the players is the main thing .

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You've completely missed the point. Tactics and starting formations are two completely different things.

3-4-3 is a pigeon hole. A generalisation. It's an outdated way of thinking that harks back to the old fashioned two banks of four and a big man and a little man.

Wolves like most top teams play a fluid, dynamic system that may nominally be 3-4-3 at times but it completely depends on the flow of the game.

Tactics are vital. What you call our system isn't as simplistic as a few numbers that add up to ten that loosely represent whereabouts the players are when the ball is in the centre circle when the ref blows the whistle.

Back
Top Bottom