Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2nd March 1974

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it really 50 years since I watched Mike Bailey lift the League Cup at Wembley in a never to be forgotten day.

Wolves were the underdogs against a very good Manchester City team but goals from Kenny Hibbitt and John Richards saw the Wolves win the cup. I can still remember so many things about that day.

Wonderful memories of a wonderful team.

Last edited:

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember watching that one at our Gran's place in Shrewsbury, on her little TV in the front room; the first Wolves game I can remember, aged 5.6 years.

The thrill of watching my team lift a cup etc.

Little did I know this would not be a frequent situation :tongueclosed:

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and my dad were right at the top of the stand and there were 2 blokes with a couple of trestle tables full of little miniature plastic replica league cup trophies right behind us. Soon after the second half began they were busily attaching black and gold ribbons to them all as we were winning thanks to King Kenny. Colin Bell then equalised and after a few minutes they decided to swap all the Wolves ribbons for sky blue ones. We were 5 minutes from the end when Richards scored the winner which prompted the cup seller into a frenzy of swapping ribbons for the second time for Wolves ones, still got mine somewhere.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
great day. I was born when we were still league champions and we won the FA Cup when I was a few minths old. the League Cup was one of only 3 wembley cup wins I can recall and the last one was 1988. i pray there is one more bfore I die. you never know, maybe this year we can finally win a semi after 5 failures......

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many great memories. One that sticks out in my mind is Bill McGarry running onto the pitch to embrace Gary Pierce. Those of my generation will know that Mr. McGarry was not one to show much emotion, but when the referee blew the full time whistle, he ran straight to Gary and gave him a big hug. Gary only played because Phil Parkes was injured, but put in a great performance.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and my dad were right at the top of the stand and there were 2 blokes with a couple of trestle tables full of little miniature plastic replica league cup trophies right behind us. Soon after the second half began they were busily attaching black and gold ribbons to them all as we were winning thanks to King Kenny. Colin Bell then equalised and after a few minutes they decided to swap all the Wolves ribbons for sky blue ones. We were 5 minutes from the end when Richards scored the winner which prompted the cup seller into a frenzy of swapping ribbons for the second time for Wolves ones, still got mine somewhere.
Hi Tech 70s style

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably the biggest regret I have supporting Wolves. A few of us wanted to go and our geography teacher said if we could get tickets and enough interest, he'd take us in the school minibus.....unfortunately none of that came off.
Still watch it on YouTube periodically, usually when we're on a poor run.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For years I refused to accept that Kenny Hibbitt shinned the first goal that day. As far as I was concerned it was a flying volley !!!!

I recently got a copy of Mike Doyle ( Tommy's Grandfather ! ) book ' Blue Blood ' in it he slates Rodney Marsh for his behaviour at the final whistle when instead of staying to collect his runner up tankard and applaud the victorious Wolves side he flounced off like the spoiled brat he was. Mike Doyle says his antics that day were the final straw for him and many of his City team mates who had had a guts full of Marsh's big time " I am doing you a right favour signing for City " attitude. Compare his shenanigans with Denis Law who was the absolute opposite sportsmanship wise. Pretty sure The Lawman swapped jerseys with Frank Munro.

I remember vividly waiting for Thursday after school to arrive when the paperboy would deliver my Shoot ! comic. Within 24 hours any of the colour pictures showing that magnificent win at Wembley were on one wall of my bedroom which was a shrine / mural of Wolves player posters and photos !!!!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For years I refused to accept that Kenny Hibbitt shinned the first goal that day. As far as I was concerned it was a flying volley !!!!

I recently got a copy of Mike Doyle ( Tommy's Grandfather ! ) book ' Blue Blood ' in it he slates Rodney Marsh for his behaviour at the final whistle when instead of staying to collect his runner up tankard and applaud the victorious Wolves side he flounced off like the spoiled brat he was. Mike Doyle says his antics that day were the final straw for him and many of his City team mates who had had a guts full of Marsh's big time " I am doing you a right favour signing for City " attitude. Compare his shenanigans with Denis Law who was the absolute opposite sportsmanship wise. Pretty sure The Lawman swapped jerseys with Frank Munro.

I remember vividly waiting for Thursday after school to arrive when the paperboy would deliver my Shoot ! comic. Within 24 hours any of the colour pictures showing that magnificent win at Wembley were on one wall of my bedroom which was a shrine / mural of Wolves player posters and photos !!!!

There is a team photograph of Frank wearing a Manchester City shirt. Great sportsmanship from Denis Law. As for Marsh, he had a mood on him because they couldn’t beat Wolves, and seeing him when he was on Sky Sports, I think he still doesn’t like us.

JJ59

Reaction score
Great great day just one drawback... queuing to get in I was right behind a very fat fan who dropped an evil fart. After the match climbing the steps at the end of my row I found myself right behind the same fan who dropped another evil much to his amusement and our annoyance.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When it had the proper name of the Football League Cup it actually sounded like a proper competition.
We've had Worthington cup, Littlewoods Challenge cup, Milk cup, Carling cup, Capital one cup, Rumbelows cup, Coca Cola cup and the present day horrible Carabao cup, all meaningless to me.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
When it had the proper name of the Football League Cup it actually sounded like a proper competition.
We've had Worthington cup, Littlewoods Challenge cup, Milk cup, Carling cup, Capital one cup, Rumbelows cup, Coca Cola cup and the present day horrible Carabao cup, all meaningless to me.
To be fair I think most of us still just call it the League Cup.

It was a great day and as many have already said I can’t believe it was 50 years ago.

Contrada Lupa

Reaction score
People forget it was a full 100.000 crowd, mostly standing with big crushes inside and outside the ground.

And there wasn't going to be extra time; it would have been a replay if JR hadn't got the winner on 85 minutes. Marsh had a cob on because he deflected Alan Sunderland's cross with his heel to Richards.

Have still got that LP somewhere, probably Hugh Johns on comms.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People forget it was a full 100.000 crowd, mostly standing with big crushes inside and outside the ground.

And there wasn't going to be extra time; it would have been a replay if JR hadn't got the winner on 85 minutes. Marsh had a cob on because he deflected Alan Sunderland's cross with his heel to Richards.

It wasn’t Hugh Johns on commentary. Struggling to remember who it was, think it may have been Simon somebody?

Reaction score
A great day! I went with my Dad with a scarf my Nan had knitted for me.

The day was made special by my all-time Wolves hero (King John) scoring the winner but not many people give the ball played by Bailey in the build-up to the goal enough credit. Tremendous!

Given how many games are now shown live on TV it's worth noting that the game was not shown live on TV in those days and you had to wait for highlights the next day on ITV.

I believe that many of the surviving team will be introduced on the pitch next Saturday at half-time so I hope they get the reception they deserve.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great day! I went with my Dad with a scarf my Nan had knitted for me.

The day was made special by my all-time Wolves hero (King John) scoring the winner but not many people give the ball played by Bailey in the build-up to the goal enough credit. Tremendous!

Given how many games are now shown live on TV it's worth noting that the game was not shown live on TV in those days and you had to wait for highlights the next day on ITV.

I believe that many of the surviving team will be introduced on the pitch next Saturday at half-time so I hope they get the reception they deserve.
You’re right about that ball from Bailey. If De Bruyne played that ball now you would have the Sky pundits having an orgasm over it.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a great time afterwacrds in a big pub with 50/50 Wolves & City fans learning songs off each other. I’ve lived in Manchester ever since

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was working in Kuwait for that final. The Beeb only covered the last 15 minutes of the match on the World Service. I listened in agony and remember dancing around my living room when JR's killer goal went in.
Got home on leave from Kuwait that summer and went straight to the E&S in Wolverhampton to buy their black and white photos of the final. I still have them: Kenny's goal, JR scoring the winner and Gary Pierce doing a back flip at the final whistle! Pierce played a blinder that day, standing in for the injured Phil Parkes.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched that one on the box but was there for Trees in 1980.
Pretty sure the 1974 final wasn't televised live, the League Cup wasn't then. I was too young but remember listening to it on the radio.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 1974 final wasn't televised live, the League Cup wasn't then. I was too young but remember listening to it on the radio.
The highlights were the day after. My old man went to the game but was concerned that l was too young (l was 10). I was, like you, glued to a radio....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My Mate and I were talking about when the League Cup Final was first shown live, he looked it up and apparently it was 1981 replay between Liverpool and West Ham at Villa Park.

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
I was 20 years old and travelled down from Norwich with my then girlfriend and stayed in London for the night.
She wasn’t best pleased when she had to pour me into bed after my ‘celebration’.
When you see us win cup finals when you’re only 20 you think it’s normal. I guess that’s the innocence of youth.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was actually very spacious inside Wembley in comparison to say Molineux when it had 40 plus thousand in. I was in the lower part of the upper half behind the goal where Richards banged in the winner. I was there in 80 and 88 too. Never saw us lose at Wembley til that fateful Watford semi.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was actually very spacious inside Wembley in comparison to say Molineux when it had 40 plus thousand in. I was in the lower part of the upper half behind the goal where Richards banged in the winner. I was there in 80 and 88 too. Never saw us lose at Wembley til that fateful Watford semi.
Been to Wembley many times for England games, but never to see us. 1960 (aged11) Dad couldn't get a tkt for me!1974 working in the Gulf!1980 honeymoon, 1st marriage! 1988 birth of 2nd child! I got a tkt for the Watford semi but couldn't go because of ill health, so sold it on to a Wolves fan in Pattingham. I am now 75, will I ever see us win at Wembley before I pop me clogs? Here's hoping...

Back
Top Bottom