Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

14 Years Ago Today

P

PeteWolf

We played in an FA Cup Semi-Final.

Perhaps one game more than any other I'd like to go back to and start again, re-submit the team sheet, slap Mark McGhee and at least give Arsenal something to have to break sweat for.

Should have been our match walking into Villa Park and seeing Wolves fans on three sides with Arsenal crammed in along one and a half. Turned into a total disappointment without ever even getting going. I'm struggling to think of a more disappointing match than this one over the past few decades especially after dumping Leeds out on their own patch.

sportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Agree with you, feeling of deflation set in early when line-up became apparent and like you said they never really gave us anything to shout about

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As you say - as soon as the team sheet was announced the writing was on the wall. What the $$$$ was McGoo thinking of ? What a great atmosphere though ...

sportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Goodman & Claridge in preference to Bully and Keane. In what parallel universe is that possible?

A

andyc225

It's the same attitude that exists to this day. In my lifetime, Wolves have never taken cup competitions seriously. I wouldn't have minded going down so much had we at least made an effort in the FA cup. At least a trip to Wembley might've given us something to smile about, would it not?

D

Dewsburywolf

It's the same attitude that exists to this day. In my lifetime, Wolves have never taken cup competitions seriously. I wouldn't have minded going down so much had we at least made an effort in the FA cup. At least a trip to Wembley might've given us something to smile about, would it not?

And yet we all took the $$$$ out of the Bluenoses for doing similar

Yes it's only just over a year since they won a cup (& qualified for Europe) but got relegated into the bargain

A

andyc225

And yet we all took the $$$$ out of the Bluenoses for doing similar

Yes it's only just over a year since they won a cup (& qualified for Europe) but got relegated into the bargain

But whose fans feel as if they're on the up right now and can see a bright future despite their precarious financial situation?

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another disappointing day in a long series.

still... cardiff against sheff monkeys, qpr, blackburn. makes it feel so much better.

A

andyc225

Which was my point entirely

Exactly.

It's time for Morgan to stop the apathy associated with cup competitions. We're never realistically going to win the Premier League, so if we could win the league cup or FA cup, would this not give us the sense of achievement that Morgan claims he wants for Wolves?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember watching in a hotel in Hong Kong on our way to a holiday in Australia. I always say you can remember where you were at certain times in your life by Wolves matches? Sad really?

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember watching in a hotel in Hong Kong on our way to a holiday in Australia. I always say you can remember where you were at certain times in your life by Wolves matches? Sad really?

It's true. really otherwise boring ones too. losing one nil at home to Burnley about 6 seasons ago in an "english pub" in highway 192 in Florida. beating Bradford 3 or 2 1 watching in a Plymouth pub. would I even remember those matches if o hadn't been somewhere other than molineux?

how many other hundreds of matches did I watch in the flesh yet struggle to recollect? weird really.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we play a 4-3-3 with Claridge and Paul Simpson in the forward line? *facepalm*

I remember that the week before the game I was on a school trip to Towers in Betws-Y-Coed, when my dad picked me up from the school on the friday he told me we'd signed five new players that week. One of whom was Robbie Slater. Genuinely one of the few players I've seen who could control a ball further than I could kick one.

W

wolvesultra

best bit about that day was the banner in the wolves end 'hang deidre, give hayley the chop' (it was during the whole free deirdre nonsense) best bnanner i've ever seen close second comes the 'wba going down like ricky hatton' one (QPR game when we became champions albion had gone down and Ricky had been knocked out by Pacquiou the night before)

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many Wolves was actually at Villa Park that day? And likewise at Cardiff?

W

wolvesultra

if i remember correctly we had 13000 odd at villa park, arsenal had slightly less around 12000 odd, cardiff was 33000 those of course were official allocations sure there was more at both

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we sold about 18,000 for Villa Park. We had all the North Stand, Doug Ellis Stand, and half of the lower tier in the Holte End.

W

wolvesultra

sorry yeah it was around 18000 and arsenal had just under around 17500 dunno why i was thinking 13

Sideshow Bob

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Remember dejectedly waiting for a train at Witton after match in the $$$$ing rain.

B

Burlton Wolf

Wow can't believe it is 14 years!!!!! Feeling old now :vollkommenauf:

A

Apocalypse Now

Remember being on one of the coaches in the convoy from Molineux with such expectation. McGhee had redeemed himself with a tactical master stroke away at Dirty Leeds but then made one of the most bizarre team selections in the history of football. For all but two minutes we were never in the game. I will never forgive McGhee for that day.

P

PeteWolf

sorry yeah it was around 18000 and arsenal had just under around 17500 dunno why i was thinking 13
Arsenal had nearer 21,000. The split was uneven and they got the larger allocation due to having more season ticket holders.

J

Jungleee

Don't understand why you'd go on a club coach to Villa Park?

A

andyc225

I was only a kid when we played this, my dad took me. Why was it at Viler Park?

B

bridgnorthwolf

I was only a kid when we played this, my dad took me. Why was it at Viler Park?

Semi finals always been played at a neutral venue. Only last few years it's been Wembley. Always used to be one of the bigger grounds like Villa Park etc.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't understand why you'd go on a club coach to Villa Park?

It was at a time when the Wolves travel club was very big and reasonably priced. I seem to remember the semi-final being an early kick off on a sunday (I may be wrong) and thousands opted to go via coach rather than train or car.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess we didn't do too badly, losing only 1-0 to a very good Arsenal team. And they only scored due to Steve Sedgley being a dopey sod.

Back
Top Bottom