Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

£24m loss on an existing first eam player

Madmalc

Reaction score

Whose in a agreement and who disagrees?

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's 28 years old though, not exactly a Silva-type younger player. I assumed Semedo was too old to sell off for profit and that he was here for the long haul and as MEW said, to help out Barca. It is weird to think of players in such a transactional, almost non-human way. Whether or not he had "lost value" hadn't even crossed my mind?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£70 m + for Semedo and Silva in that window. Waaayyyy over the top and something stank with both of those purchases. At least Semedo has come good after a dodgy start. We're still to see any pay-back from the Silva purchase (although he did score against Albion :tearsofjoy: ).

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have never been a fan. Frankly, when he came he was an absolutely awful defender and fairly **** poor wingback.

Now he is a reasonably good Premier league defender, and a average wingback.

Those saying he is great need to ask what has actually contributed either goals or assists - admittedly his defending has improved which is one positive.

But yes, I do agree his value has fallen, but he was a £15m player when we over paid for him and he is still in that category for me.

Doc, made ten times the contribution but many seem to want to re-write history.

So, not a fan at all - but in fairness he has improved.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overpaid. But not disastrously so, probably should have paid about £20-25m.

My main concern with him now is his seemingly persistent injuries. Game was crying out for him on Saturday and still can’t get on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s hardly a disaster. I stopped reading when I saw the word ‘disaster’. I can’t take the writer seriously.
So disasterous that Atletico wanted him and we'd doubtless have got most, if not all, of our money back had we wished to cash in....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So disasterous that Atletico wanted him and we'd doubtless have got most, if not all, of our money back had we wished to cash in....

You want Wolves to be business minded or try to be a top 8 team?
If you want the latter, then expect some disappointments in the transfer windows. It’s part of football .

However, Semedo is not a disaster.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You want Wolves to be business minded or try to be a top 8 team?
If you want the latter, then expect some disappointments in the transfer windows. It’s part of football .

However, Semedo is not a disaster.
I actually think that we are in agreement. My point was that a team like Atletico wouldn't have wanted a "disaster".

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's an awful article that's also totally inaccurate. He's one of our best and most consistent players and should be starting every week when he's fit

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What a load of clickbait nonsense. Apart from the first few games he's been quality defensively. I'd like more from in attack but in a back 4 he's really good. Was he overpriced? Probably but not by much. If fit he's one of the first names on the teamsheet imo, we look much more solid with him there.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have never been a fan. Frankly, when he came he was an absolutely awful defender and fairly **** poor wingback.

Now he is a reasonably good Premier league defender, and a average wingback.

Those saying he is great need to ask what has actually contributed either goals or assists - admittedly his defending has improved which is one positive.

But yes, I do agree his value has fallen, but he was a £15m player when we over paid for him and he is still in that category for me.

Doc, made ten times the contribution but many seem to want to re-write history.

So, not a fan at all - but in fairness he has improved.
I’m with you on this. It’s a good assessment I think.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fee was probably higher than ideal but I don’t see how anyone can doubt his quality particularly as a defender. In a back four he should be playing every week if fit.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been many worse signings in the past, and no doubt will be in the future.

He is a good player who, when fit, should be in the starting eleven, not sitting on the bench.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clickbaity with some truths but disaster is too far.
Not what we needed at wing back. Been very solid defensively though for the last 12 months or so. Technically very nice but lacks penetration going forward. Paid about 15 million too much.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dodgy start but far from a disaster.

We also haven’t paid that much money, it was £28 million and he’s still a £20 million player now IMO.

If our manager wasn’t so ****ing **** and we played more attacking, dynamic football he wouldn’t be far off that in value now.

That article could have been about many of our players.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
People are obsessed with resale value. Sometimes players are bought for the here-and-now. Maybe we did overpay z bit, but he's been a great addition.

I would call letting a player go for free, signing them back for 90m, having them flatter to deceive snd be largely injured, and then letting him go, again, fir free, a disaster

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are obsessed with resale value. Sometimes players are bought for the here-and-now. Maybe we did overpay z bit, but he's been a great addition.

I would call letting a player go for free, signing them back for 90m, having them flatter to deceive snd be largely injured, and then letting him go, again, fir free, a disaster
Agreed, Pogba and Lukaku were disasters!

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a player in his prime who was playing at a high level. Maybe we slightly overpaid but other than a shaky start defensively he had been class and one of our better players we miss him when he doesn't play in my opinion.

The article was clickbait nonsense.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Semedo has got better and better since he arrived. Needs more goals and assists yes but his overall game is good. How he isn't starting is a mystery to me. Article is a piece of dross

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As soon as i saw we paid £37 million i stopped reading as its bs
We paid £27 million plus add ons that no one knows
Whether you see that as overpaying is debatable
Personally i dont,and if we did it was minimal
After an average first 6 months hes been one of our most consistent performers,rarely less than 7/10
People keep saying Doc was so much better but what has he done in the last 3 seasons?What did he do in his first 7 seasons here?
I agree he should assist more but with our failure to get bodies in the box i dont see how he can
Hes still our best RB can play in a 4 or 5 and if anyone says they would swap him for Docherty they really are deluded

Monswolf

Reaction score
I think he is a fabulous player incredibly under rated as shown how our form dropped last season when he was out injured, without a shadow of a doubt our best WB/RB, and should really be a shoe in for one of the first names on the team sheet for me

Back
Top Bottom