Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Doyle

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No brainer move really

Doyle is good for under £5m, right now he's the kind of player who'd look brilliant in the Championship but so so in the PL. Good passer of the ball but needs to add more. Looking forward to seeing how he develops and if he can force his way into the team

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No brainer for the price, great option or cover in midfield and if he doesn't work out flip him for a profit.
Don't think he would have started Saturday, we'll need the mobility and athleticism of Lemina, Gomes and Bouba for that one.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs sounds very happy with him

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last. Some decent early transfer news.

Another 4 quality signings, with no outgoings and I’ll be more than happy.

Scallywolf in a few months:

homelander-the-boys-season3.gif

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was always going to happen.
City done us a favour with the low price and agree to the loan so it wasn’t in this years books.

Doyle is a lovely little player. If he had a touch more pace he’d be worth much more and probably still be at City.

Reaction score
With impeccable timing, The Athletic have a decent piece today on why the player we swapped him for has underperformed so far at Man City (paywalled but the TLDR is: moments of brilliance amid a fair number of areas to improve to move up Pep's pecking order)

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With impeccable timing, The Athletic have a decent piece today on why the player we swapped him for has underperformed so far at Man City (paywalled but the TLDR is: moments of brilliance amid a fair number of areas to improve to move up Pep's pecking order)

I feel he was never suited to the way City play (or rather, how teams play against City). Nunes strengths are that he is really good at taking the ball near his own box with his back to goal and finding a way to withstand the press on him while having the ability to carry the ball up the pitch. But who plays this way against City? who's pressing them up the pitch and risking a big gap behind them for him to run into?

Even the top teams like Arsenal and Real Madrid didn't do this and preferred to hit them on the break instead. I always thought it was a weird purchase by Pep, he seemed to be obsessed with him ever since he played well against them for Sporting.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting article. Also good to see that Pep’s reservations around using Nunes more, that he tends to give the ball away more than others in his squad, are similar to reservations expressed during his brief time at Wolves. On the positive side, it’s clear that his strengths of taking the ball and opening up tight defences are those which likely attracted Wolves. Used like that, alongside Cunha, and they could have been a lethal combination. But given the deal we got for him, I’m not complaining about his departure.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does this mean he can play against City tomorrow? Would explain the strange timing

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We knew Nunes wouldn’t work there because we actually watched him play. All talent, no skill, and none of the 4 managers he had here trusted him in the middle of anything.

We also knew that even Citeh valued Doyle at ~ £15m but the number was low as part of the deal, they’re not that stupid.

The news to me is city’s buy-back clause on Doyle that they can trigger this summer or next. Keen got half of something here, he still needs to wriggle inside the club a bit more. Have to know the number.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We knew Nunes wouldn’t work there because we actually watched him play. All talent, no skill, and none of the 4 managers he had here trusted him in the middle of anything.

We also knew that even Citeh valued Doyle at ~ £15m but the number was low as part of the deal, they’re not that stupid.

The news to me is city’s buy-back clause on Doyle that they can trigger this summer or next. Keen got half of something here, he still needs to wriggle inside the club a bit more. Have to know the number.
I wonder if we can but out the buy back clause?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And they say we never announce anything early.....

Mind you it was done last summer wasn't it.

So technically it's another late announcement...

So should I be happy ?

Should I be outraged ?

Or should I be mildly annoyed at the announcement ?

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if we can but out the buy back clause?
Good question. Id also like to know how it actually works, would they need to declare their intentions to trigger it before each window opened or could they just swoop in and scupper any deal or what. Honestly, who does a buy-back clause!

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The good thing about this signing, and the Joao Gomes signing is that it offers a club to aspiring young English talent (Brazilian in Gomes' case) to have faith in that they'll get game time, play in a team that plays decent football and more importantly offers an avenue of Premier League exposure and development.

Signings like this nudge other players in our direction.

Back
Top Bottom